Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ITALY - Festering Filth & Stench

Naples, Italy
This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.

http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Naples, Italy
> This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
> wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
> surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
> The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
> Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
> trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
> early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
> of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
> a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.
>
> http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html

That's an old article, the crisis is over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_...nagement_issue
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 1:55*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> Naples, Italy
> This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
> wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
> surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
> The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
> Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
> trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
> early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
> of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
> a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.
>
> http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html

Wasn't there a huge garbage strike in New York?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Nov 21, 1:55*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> > Naples, Italy

[snipped garbage about garbage in Naples]

> Wasn't there a huge garbage strike in New York?

No, that was just Sheldon's compost pile. It didn't matter how many
times he was told, he kept dumping the bodies of his ex's and in-laws in
there.

That's a violation of zoning ordinances.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:14:59 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 21, 1:55*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>>> Naples, Italy

> [snipped garbage about garbage in Naples]
>
>> Wasn't there a huge garbage strike in New York?

> No, that was just Sheldon's compost pile. It didn't matter how many
> times he was told, he kept dumping the bodies of his ex's and in-laws in
> there.
>
> That's a violation of zoning ordinances.

oddly, he didn't mention how the cocksucking was over in italy.

yourpal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:14:59 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> merryb > wrote:

>> [snipped garbage about garbage in Naples]
>>
>>> Wasn't there a huge garbage strike in New York?

>> No, that was just Sheldon's compost pile. It didn't matter how many
>> times he was told, he kept dumping the bodies of his ex's and in-laws in
>> there.
>>
>> That's a violation of zoning ordinances.

> oddly, he didn't mention how the cocksucking was over in italy.

hahahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Naples, Italy
> This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
> wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
> surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
> The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
> Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
> trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
> early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
> of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
> a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.
>
> http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html

I was in Naples two weeks ago. It was not terribly clean, but standard
for a large city. No bad smells.

BTW, the pizza in New Jersey is way better than the pizza in Italy.

JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 1:31 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Naples, Italy
> > This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
> > wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
> > surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
> > The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
> > Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
> > trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
> > early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
> > of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
> > a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.

> >http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html

> I was in Naples two weeks ago. It was not terribly clean, but standard
> for a large city. No bad smells.
>
> BTW, the pizza in New Jersey is way better than the pizza in Italy.
>
> JMHO
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

I talked to my friend that still lives there & the garbage situation
isn't solved. I was the writer of the article posted on GloboSapians-
mentioned above. The crisis actually started in the summer of 2006.
Now, the whole region is dealing with water contamination along with
garbage & the Mafia. I lived there for 3 years starting in November
2004. We loved the region we lived in, in the beginning... now Casal
has become a living nightmare for those living there! Please read this
article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081116/...bloodied_south
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Nov 22, 1:31 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>> Naples, Italy
>>> This is something the brochures don't mention: How about having to
>>> wade through piles of festering filth and trash? In Naples and the
>>> surrounding Campania region, the waste disposal industry is Mafia run.
>>> The city goes through cycles when it is literally drowning in garbage.
>>> Things really came to a head when collectors stopped picking up the
>>> trash in Naples on December 21, 2007,... and didn't come back until
>>> early to mid-January 2008! Residents were surrounded by heaping mounds
>>> of moldering trash, and many took to burning the piles, which created
>>> a toxic hazard and an overwhelming stench.

http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...ples-2336.html
>> I was in Naples two weeks ago. It was not terribly clean, but standard
>> for a large city. No bad smells.
>>
>> BTW, the pizza in New Jersey is way better than the pizza in Italy.
>>
>> JMHO
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life

> I talked to my friend that still lives there & the garbage situation
> isn't solved. I was the writer of the article posted on GloboSapians-
> mentioned above. The crisis actually started in the summer of 2006.
> Now, the whole region is dealing with water contamination along with
> garbage & the Mafia. I lived there for 3 years starting in November
> 2004. We loved the region we lived in, in the beginning... now Casal
> has become a living nightmare for those living there! Please read this
> article:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081116/...bloodied_south

I guess the tourists don't see that part of it. I wasn't there very long.

I did spend 5 days in Palermo and it was quite an experience.

Food Filth Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 26-11-2012 02:07 PM
The Stench of Subway Sqwertz[_25_] Restaurants 43 10-01-2011 12:23 PM
Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench Radium Winemaking 2 03-07-2006 11:42 PM
Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench Radium Wine 2 03-07-2006 11:42 PM
S.O.S. Need Stench Remover Damsel General Cooking 96 13-05-2005 06:21 PM