Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet potato uses

Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet potatoes can
be used interchangeably with winter squash for soups.

An interesting URL:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:37:58 -0600:

> Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet
> potatoes can be used interchangeably with winter squash for
> soups.

> An interesting URL:
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html

Most sweet potato soups that I have tried are too sweet for me. I prefer
regular baked potatoes whole or mashed with turkey but, strangely
enough, I rather like sweet potato tempura.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet potatoes can
> be used interchangeably with winter squash for soups.
>
> An interesting URL:
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html

They can be used interchangeably in the recipes and have them work, but
the flavor will be quite a bit different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> >
> > Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet potatoes can
> > be used interchangeably with winter squash for soups.
> >
> > An interesting URL:
> > http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html

> They can be used interchangeably in the recipes and have them work, but
> the flavor will be quite a bit different.

I've made several crock pot soups lately that contain both winter squash and
sweet potatoes, they were both very tasty...one was sorta "Thai - style"
with coco milk, red curry, basil, etc. and the other was a more conventional
soup with veg.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> George wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:37:58 -0600:
>
>> Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet
>> potatoes can be used interchangeably with winter squash for
>> soups.

>> An interesting URL:
>> http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html

> Most sweet potato soups that I have tried are too sweet for me. I prefer
> regular baked potatoes whole or mashed with turkey but, strangely
> enough, I rather like sweet potato tempura.

My Mom would often bake several sweet potatoes at a time. The day after
she would then slice the cold tater into rounds and fry it in butter for
a side at dinner. That is one of my favorite ways to eat the stuff.

DW entered a contest a number of years ago for the "best yam recipe in
Louisiana." She made yam soup and it was outrageously good.

Note: Yam is the Louisiana term for sweet potatoes grown in this state
to distinguish them from those watery things grown on the East Coast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
> > George wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:37:58 -0600:
> >
> >> Someone posted this morning about sweet potato soup. Sweet
> >> potatoes can be used interchangeably with winter squash for
> >> soups.

> >> An interesting URL:
> >> http://www.foodreference.com/html/lo...-potatoes.html

> > Most sweet potato soups that I have tried are too sweet for me. I prefer
> > regular baked potatoes whole or mashed with turkey but, strangely
> > enough, I rather like sweet potato tempura.

> My Mom would often bake several sweet potatoes at a time. The day after
> she would then slice the cold tater into rounds and fry it in butter for
> a side at dinner. That is one of my favorite ways to eat the stuff.
>
> DW entered a contest a number of years ago for the "best yam recipe in
> Louisiana." She made yam soup and it was outrageously good.
>
> Note: Yam is the Louisiana term for sweet potatoes grown in this state
> to distinguish them from those watery things grown on the East Coast.

I'm confused. The URL above says Eastern sweet potatoes are dry and
mealy, whereas Louisiana sweet potatoes are moist?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 19 Nov 2008 05:39:18p, Dan Abel told us...

> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>> > Most sweet potato soups that I have tried are too sweet for me. I
>> > prefer regular baked potatoes whole or mashed with turkey but,
>> > strangely enough, I rather like sweet potato tempura.

>> My Mom would often bake several sweet potatoes at a time. The day after
>> she would then slice the cold tater into rounds and fry it in butter
>> for a side at dinner. That is one of my favorite ways to eat the stuff.
>>
>> DW entered a contest a number of years ago for the "best yam recipe in
>> Louisiana." She made yam soup and it was outrageously good.
>>
>> Note: Yam is the Louisiana term for sweet potatoes grown in this state
>> to distinguish them from those watery things grown on the East Coast.

> I'm confused. The URL above says Eastern sweet potatoes are dry and
> mealy, whereas Louisiana sweet potatoes are moist?

To me, “eastern” sweet potatoes are those with a pale yellow/tan skin and
dry yellowish flesh. True yams are almost non-existent on the American
market, but the fatter brown or red skinned sweet potatoes with a deep
moist orange flesh are often referred to as yams.

Does that help?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 6hrs 19mins
Fraud(n): A telephone number starting with '1-900'