Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dish for a lacto-ovo vegetarian for Thanksgiving

Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
a cheese souffle for the table.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 3:49*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Need ideas. *Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. *I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. *No meat or fish. *I'll be doing
> a cheese souffle for the table.
>
> Paul

How about a Wild Mushroom Rissotto?

Nancy T
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
On Nov 11, 3:49 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
> a cheese souffle for the table.
>
> Paul

>How about a Wild Mushroom Rissotto?

What took you so long to reply - LOL.

Yeah, I kind of like that idea. I love shrooms and a creamy risotto is
divine. Thank you.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 3:52*pm, ntantiques > wrote:
> On Nov 11, 3:49*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
> > Need ideas. *Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. *I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> > Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. *No meat or fish. *I'll be doing
> > a cheese souffle for the table.

> > Paul

> How about a Wild Mushroom Rissotto?
>
> Nancy T

Nice call- I actually made that 2 nights ago. Trader Joe's had dried
ass'd shrooms for $1.99, so thought I'd try them out at that price.
Very decadent, but please use real parm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be
> doing a cheese souffle for the table.
>
> Paul

That's BS Cook your turkey and let them eat all the other fixings. One of
my daughters doesn't eat meat and some of her friends are the same way -
they always just eat everything that does not have meat.

The cheese soufflé will give them what that need.

Let them eat beans (& rice).

They can eat

Salad
Vegetables & Dip
Spinach dip & Bread
Stuffing casserole (no sausage using vegetable broth)
Potatoes
Candied Yams
Green bean casserole (check the mushroom soup can)
Dessert with Whipped cream

If you want to make something "special" for them Grill some large portabella
mushrooms basted with EVOO & Balsamic

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be
> doing a cheese souffle for the table.

My lentil soup, or anyone's that has no meat and some tomato and carmelized
onions. My vegetarian niece loves this stuff. Also--great with cheese
souffle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
> a cheese souffle for the table.
>
> Paul

I have an old recipe I have served in cases like that, based on a
casserole from the Moosewood cookbook.

It is layers, starting with cooked brown rice, then a layer of
lightly steamed broccoli stir fried with chopped onion and slivered
green pepper (then I think a bechemel) and topped with grated Parmesan
and almonds, pistachios, or cashews.

If it sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll look it up and
post it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> I have an old recipe I have served in cases like that, based on a
> casserole from the Moosewood cookbook.
>
> It is layers, starting with cooked brown rice, then a layer of
> lightly steamed broccoli stir fried with chopped onion and slivered green
> pepper (then I think a bechemel) and topped with grated Parmesan and
> almonds, pistachios, or cashews.
>
> If it sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll look it up and post
> it.

Sounds interesting to me!! Please post it. Danke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
On Nov 11, 3:49 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
> a cheese souffle for the table.
>
> Paul

>How about a Wild Mushroom Rissotto?

I think I'll make a rissotto and top it with a mushroom gratin with lots of
parmesan. Maybe pollenta? That would work I think. We're just a small
party this time and not enough side dishes to feed them as others have said.
Must make a main dish.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> My lentil soup

Sounds slightly icky...like learning love from a correspondence course.

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:11:19 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
>> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be
>> doing a cheese souffle for the table.
>>
>> Paul

>That's BS Cook your turkey and let them eat all the other fixings. One of
>my daughters doesn't eat meat and some of her friends are the same way -
>they always just eat everything that does not have meat.
>
>The cheese soufflé will give them what that need.
>
>Let them eat beans (& rice).
>

>They can eat
>
>Salad
>Vegetables & Dip
>Spinach dip & Bread
>Stuffing casserole (no sausage using vegetable broth)
>Potatoes
>Candied Yams
>Green bean casserole (check the mushroom soup can)
>Dessert with Whipped cream
>
>If you want to make something "special" for them Grill some large portabella
>mushrooms basted with EVOO & Balsamic
>
>Dimitri

That is about what I did when my son and his girlfriend were here for
Thanksgiving. They brought their own tofu turkey and cooked it. I
made one batch of dressing with vegetable broth and they ate most
everything else that was served. The vegan years got a little more
interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
> Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
> a cheese souffle for the table.

Let them eat soy cake.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:49:37 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Need ideas. Butter, eggs, milk are all cool. I'll have 2 vegetarians for
>Thanksgiving and need a nice dish for them. No meat or fish. I'll be doing
>a cheese souffle for the table.

I tend to agree with those who say serve the usual sides and let the
vegetarians fend for themselves, but --

1. If I did want to make something special for vegetarians, I might
make those pretty winter squash stuffed with long grain and wild rice
and dried cranberries.

2. I thought of this thread when I saw this recipe for sweet potato
tamales in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. To make it vegetarian,
just use vegetable stock in place of the chicken or turkey stock.

From:
http://projects.eveningedge.com/reci...s-kevin-rathb/

Sweet Potato Tamales
Hands on time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes Serves: 8
Ingredients:

FOR THE TAMALES:
2 large cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed
2 cups masa harina
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups turkey stock or chicken broth
8 corn shucks (soaked in warm water for 1 hour) or parchment
paper cut into squares

FOR THE CANDIED PECANS:
1 cup pecan halves
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 cups canola oil

Instructions:
TO PREPARE THE TAMALES: In a large bowl, mix potatoes, masa harina,
butter, salt and pepper until combined. Add turkey stock until it
becomes a workable pastelike consistency. It shouldn’t be watery.
Divide mixture equally into 8 tamale shucks or parchment paper and
roll up and tie ends. Place in a steamer and steam for 15 to 25
minutes, or until heated through.

TO PREPARE THE PECANS: Meanwhile, boil pecans in water for 10 minutes.
Drain well and mix with salt and sugar. Heat oil until 350 degrees.
Deep-fry pecans until crispy, about 1 to 3 minutes. Drain on parchment
paper. Serve on top of tamales.
Nutrition:
Per serving: 335 calories (percent of calories from fat, 47), 6 grams
protein, 40 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 18 grams fat (4 grams
saturated), 12 milligrams cholesterol, 691 milligrams sodium.

Tara