Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thank you! Lest We Forget!

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thank you to ALL of our veterans! including both of my parents!

rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

readandpost wrote:
> thank you to ALL of our veterans! including both of my parents!

I'll second that. We were at the town Remembrance Day ceremony on Sunday
and yesterday we had to drive into Toronto to visit my wife's family
plot. My MiL died on Nov. 11, 25 years ago today and my wife likes to go
in on the 11th to lay a wreath. MiL's father and grandfather are also
buried in that plot. The grandfather was veteran of the Boer War and
WWI. My Fil was also veteran of WWI, but was in the American army.

We had to do the family thing yesterday because we had to go to the
ceremony at the local Legion because they were also dedicating the new
Peace Park, and my brother's and I had bought a stone in my father's
name. He was a veteran of WW II.

This afternoon I have to go to the town library to get a book signed by
the author. I just finished reading the book last night. It was about
his experiences in the Italian campaign. Most of the book is quite
funny, because the guy is naturally funny, but later on he tells more
about some of the horrible experiences. Writing the book was a
therapeutic exercise for him to relieve the problems he has suffered
since the war. It was interesting to note that he was at all the same
places that one of my uncles had been in Italy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:4919902a$0$5560
:

> buried in that plot. The grandfather was veteran of the Boer War and
> WWI. My Fil was also veteran of WWI, but was in the American army.
>
> We had to do the family thing yesterday because we had to go to the
> ceremony at the local Legion because they were also dedicating the

new
> Peace Park, and my brother's and I had bought a stone in my father's
> name. He was a veteran of WW II.

My SO's Grand-dad was a Boer War and WW1 vet. My Grandfather was a WW1
and WW2 veteran.

I've been doing research off and on for a few years now, tracking where
they went/what they did etc. I was hoping to find that they had crossed
paths somewhere in France :-)

The SO's gd was shot through the thigh and fell off his mount while
serving with 2nd Brabants Horse, who were chasing the "Black Angel",
General DeWet. His life was spared (any wounded 'enemy' were shot out of
hand by the Boers) by the Boer that found him because he could speak
their language.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/...-05/1210877929

765 Fredericks, J Tpr

My gd joined up under a false name as he was underage at the time. He
was shot through the chest/shoulder in a battle near Bullecourt. He was
then gassed as he lay wounded on the battlefield and subsequently picked
up by the Germans and spent a few years in a POW camp in Hanover.

It gives me a great sense of awe in knowing what they went through, and
pride in their achievments, when I wear their medals next to mine and
stand with my Unit/s on Anzac Day and Rememberance Day.

I have often asked/told my SO to wear her grandads medals and march with
me in the Anzac Day parade (mainly because there aren't many Boer War
contingents/decendants of late) but her feeling is that medals won on
battlefields should only be worn by soldiers, and the parade should only
be for soldiers.

Oh well.......

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> My Grandfather was a WW1 and WW2 veteran.

So was my dad. Lied about his age to sign up in WW-I, though...

Quit making me feel old, damnit!!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:05:47 -0800, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>PeterLucas wrote:
>> My Grandfather was a WW1 and WW2 veteran.

>So was my dad. Lied about his age to sign up in WW-I, though...
>
>Quit making me feel old, damnit!!

One of my grandfathers tried to lie about his age for WWI, but they
didn't believe him. He was too old to be a private in WWII.

Mae West