Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Would You Return To A Resto Closed By The Health Dept...

....in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

*I* sure wouldn't...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 2:05*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>
> *I* sure wouldn't...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg
>
> " I find Greg Morrow *lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
> we are some
> *kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
> *- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Hell, no!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 2:05*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

*I* sure wouldn't...

I would challenge you to find six restaurants on this planet that
doesn't have cock roaches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>

> *I* sure wouldn't...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Several years ago we were sitting in a local BBQ joint that we really
enjoyed.

There were 2 empty ball jars (glasses) on the table waiting for the beer
bottles.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a critter (roach) walking across the
table - as you might imagine this was a pretty dark joint.

I told the boss to look at the door, I took my empty glass and captured the
critter by placing the open top inside down on the table. Yep it was a
roach.

I said "trust me do not look back at the table, just get up and walk towards
the door"

I explained the upside down glass to the waitress as we were out the door.

We never went back - within 2 years the place closed and is now a bicycle
shop.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 3:28*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2:05*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> *...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>
> **I* sure wouldn't...
>
> I would challenge you to find six restaurants on this planet that
> doesn't have cock roaches. *

Yeah, but how many are closed for that reason?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:08:30 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>Yeah, but how many are closed for that reason?

Less than three.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> m...
> > ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
> >

> > *I* sure wouldn't...
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Several years ago we were sitting in a local BBQ joint that we really
> enjoyed.
>
> There were 2 empty ball jars (glasses) on the table waiting for the beer
> bottles.
>
> Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a critter (roach) walking across the
> table - as you might imagine this was a pretty dark joint.
>
> I told the boss to look at the door, I took my empty glass and captured

the
> critter by placing the open top inside down on the table. Yep it was a
> roach.
>
> I said "trust me do not look back at the table, just get up and walk

towards
> the door"
>
> I explained the upside down glass to the waitress as we were out the door.
>
> We never went back - within 2 years the place closed and is now a bicycle
> shop.

This is a Chinese BBQ place on the north side of Chicago, Sun Wah. It's the
second time they've been closed down in the last several years, the first
was for not maintaining proper temps for prepared foods. That I guess I can
live with but vermin infestation - particularly roaches - *really* turns me
off. I hate it because it's an old fave standby of mine but I won't go
back. Fortunately there are plenty of other options in the area (Thai,
Viet, Chinese...)...

Here is a discussion (with pic of the place with the big green "closed"
sticker on the door) from a local Chicago food board:

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21744

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> m...
> > ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
> >

> > *I* sure wouldn't...
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Several years ago we were sitting in a local BBQ joint that we really
> enjoyed.
>
> There were 2 empty ball jars (glasses) on the table waiting for the beer
> bottles.
>
> Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a critter (roach) walking across the
> table - as you might imagine this was a pretty dark joint.
>
> I told the boss to look at the door, I took my empty glass and captured

the
> critter by placing the open top inside down on the table. Yep it was a
> roach.
>
> I said "trust me do not look back at the table, just get up and walk

towards
> the door"
>
> I explained the upside down glass to the waitress as we were out the door.
>
> We never went back - within 2 years the place closed and is now a bicycle
> shop.

Oh, the irony:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...h-shut-by.html

"Originally posted: November 5, 2008

Sun Wah shut by Health Dept. day after LTH foodie fest
Posted by Kevin Pang, Irony Bureau Chief at 3:30pm CDT

LTHForum, the venerable message board for Chicago foodies, held their annual
"Great Neighborhood Restaurants" award dinner Monday night, in which 28 new
restaurants were added to their list of must-try eateries.

The awards dinner was held at Uptown's Sun Wah, itself a "Great Neighborhood
Restaurant" and celebrated for their Hong Kong-style BBQ. Walk past the
restaurant on any given day and you'll be enticed by the roast duck, char
siu pork and house special salt-baked chicken hanging by its window. That
is, unless you walked by Tuesday, the day after LTH's dinner, when Sun Wah
was shut down by the city's health department. A large green sign was
affixed to the door: "License Suspended."

One of the restaurant's owners told us on Wednesday that roaches were found
on the premises, and that pest control was en route. They expected to
re-open for business Friday.

Said Gary Wiviott, founder of LTH Forum: "I was one of the last customers in
there before they were closed, and I intend to be first customer in there
when they reopen."

-------------------

Comments:

I love Sun Wah. I had a great meal there on Monday, just one day before the
closing. In my experience, their food has always been delicious, cheap,
clean, fresh, and appealing to the eye. I guess I'm glad the Health Dept is
so strict, but this doesn't worry me in the least.

Posted by: William | Nov 5, 2008 9:14:34 PM

---------------

I love this place and I've never found it to be dirty. I am glad they're
getting cleaned up, and I'll definitely be back when they re-open.

Posted by: send9 | Nov 7, 2008 1:23:59 PM..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>

> *I* sure wouldn't...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Nope.

I was eating lunch in a place once and saw a mouse scurry under a table on
the other side of the room. Lunch was good too. Never went back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>

> *I* sure wouldn't...

It's hard enough to find Chinese delivery where I live back in TN (and I
know everyone insists there *must* be Chinese delivery, surely every place
has Chinese delivery? Sorry, there simply isn't. There also aren't 3
farmers markets selling fresh eggs, meats and artisan breads, either. Get
over it. We don't all live in the same place!)

I found this restaurant in near my home that would deliver. They contracted
for the delivery service. So I called one day to get some food and got a
message saying DO NOT ORDER FOOD FROM THIS PLACE. It was hilarious, they
detailed how disgusting the kitchen was and said they absolutely wouldn't
deliver food from this place ever again. So I guess my answer is "no"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>
>*I* sure wouldn't...

I'd say it depends on how much I liked their food in the first place.

If it reopened, it passed inspection. Frankly, the way roaches move
around, hardly any place where they can thrive is immune.

I remember the first time I came into personal contact with a roach.
We were renting - the exterminator said they go through the walls and
hitch rides when you least expect it.

Years after, I bought a package of fresh - really fresh meaning HOT
off the grill, fresh *handmade* tortillas... I put them in the front
seat next to me in the car and was salivating. I looked at the
package just in time to see a roach as big as a plate crawl out of it.
I'm don't litter as a habit, but I took that package and threw it out
the window as I drove down the street. I was soooo grossed out! I
never bought a whole package of handmade tortillas (hand wrapped in
white butcher paper) from them thereafter, but I did go in to buy
tortillas as singles.

OK, I'm a hand made tortilla junkie. <sigh> There are worse things
to be addicted to.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>>...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>>
>>*I* sure wouldn't...

> I'd say

A "resto?"

Jesus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:59:22 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>It's hard enough to find Chinese delivery where I live back in TN (and I
>know everyone insists there *must* be Chinese delivery, surely every place
>has Chinese delivery? Sorry, there simply isn't. There also aren't 3
>farmers markets selling fresh eggs, meats and artisan breads, either. Get
>over it. We don't all live in the same place!)

Honestly, Jill, I believe you. It wasn't that long ago when pizza and
Chinese food were the only game in town here. I used to revel when my
SIL (who lives in Manhattan) told me about all the places restaurant
that she ordered from and they'd deliver, not make her pick up. I'm
still amazed.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberroach scuttled:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
> >>
> >>*I* sure wouldn't...

> > I'd say

> A "resto?"

Just so you know, cyberpussie, that's short for "restaurant"...

> Jesus.

....he wants *naught* to do with you. He prolly looks more kindly upon the
lowly cockroach, they are unthinking creatures and know not of what they do.

====>>> actually the same *could* be said of you, cyberroach. That doesn't
mean your evil li'l self shouldn't be "exterminated", however. Maybe a good
dousing with a sack of Fuller's Earth or a looooog dunk in a VAT of DDT
would "do the trick" for you...donchyaknow.

:-)

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:05:03 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>>>
>>>*I* sure wouldn't...

>> I'd say

>A "resto?"

It wasn't a real restaurant. It was a commercial maker of tortillas
(locally at least - their brand is in every grocery store around here)
and they have a small market/deli at the front of the not so big
storefront.

>Jesus.

Worse.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

And as soon as you left, their problem cleared up.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 4:05*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>
> *I* sure wouldn't...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg
>
> " I find Greg Morrow *lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
> we are some
> *kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
> *- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

There's a little joint in a town about 10 miles away that has the
second-best tenderloin sandwiches EVER. One of the owners swatted and
killed two roaches while the TV guy (with cameraman) carried on an
interview with her. I haven't been there since.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 6:42*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

> > > *I* sure wouldn't...

> > > --
> > > Best
> > > Greg

> > Several years ago we were sitting in a local BBQ joint that we really
> > enjoyed.

> > There were 2 empty ball jars (glasses) on the table waiting for the beer
> > bottles.

> > Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a critter (roach) walking across the
> > table - as you might imagine this was a pretty dark joint.

> > I told the boss to look at the door, I took my empty glass and captured

> the
> > critter by placing the open top inside down on the table. *Yep it was a
> > roach.

> > I said "trust me do not look back at the table, just get up and walk

> towards
> > the door"

> > I explained the upside down glass to the waitress as we were out the door.

> > We never went back - within 2 years the place closed and is now a bicycle
> > shop.

> This is a Chinese BBQ place on the north side of Chicago, Sun Wah. *It's the
> second time they've been closed down in the last several years, the first
> was for not maintaining proper temps for prepared foods. *That I guess I can
> live with but vermin infestation - particularly roaches - *really* turns me
> off. *I hate it because it's an old fave standby of mine but I won't go
> back. *Fortunately there are plenty of other options in the area (Thai,
> Viet, Chinese...)...
>
> Here is a discussion (with pic of the place with the big green "closed"
> sticker on the door) from a local Chicago food board:
>
> http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21744
>
> --
> Best
> Greg- Hide quoted text -

Food poisioning would be as bad as roaches...both good reasons to shut
someone down...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:28:56 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2:05*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>
> *I* sure wouldn't...
>

> I would challenge you to find six restaurants on this planet that
> doesn't have cock roaches.

'evidence of cockroach infestation' could be droppings, not them running
wild in the place. in some urban areas, it's pretty hard to get rid of
them completely.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:05:03 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>>>
>>>*I* sure wouldn't...

>> I'd say

> A "resto?"
>
> Jesus.

it's to show morrow is 'hep' to the 'jive,' and all up-to-date and shit.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:15:34 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
>> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

> And as soon as you left, their problem cleared up.
>
> -sw

<snort>

and the lesser vermin all had a drink.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> m...
>> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>>

> Nope.
>
> I was eating lunch in a place once and saw a mouse scurry under a table on
> the other side of the room. Lunch was good too. Never went back.

It would surprise me muchly if even the cleanest restaurant kitchen
didn't have the occasional roach or mouse. The bugs arrive with
deliveries from warehouses or spread from neighboring buidlings. Mice
come in from the cold to wherever there is food available.

IMO if you think your favorite restaurant is immune, you are in denial.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow > wrote in message
m...
> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???
>

> *I* sure wouldn't...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

China King in Hamburg NY (west of Buffalo) will be finding out shortly.
They were shut down after a roadkill deer was found being dressed out in the
kitchen. The place has been sanitized, a fine given, and they are now
reopened.

Supposedly the deer was left at the front door - and it was being cut up for
'personal' use, not to be served. The owner was not at the scene at the
time. Also a fine for a refrigeration unit not being at the proper temp.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 8:46*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> om...
> >> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

> > Nope.

> > I was eating lunch in a place once and saw a mouse scurry under a table on
> > the other side of the room. *Lunch was good too. *Never went back.

> It would surprise me muchly if even the cleanest restaurant kitchen
> didn't have the occasional roach or mouse. *The bugs arrive with
> deliveries from warehouses or spread from neighboring buidlings. *Mice
> come in from the cold to wherever there is food available.
>
> IMO if you think your favorite restaurant is immune, you are in denial.
>
> gloria p

Very true- that's why we eat at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I'd say it depends on how much I liked their food in the first place.
>
> If it reopened, it passed inspection. Frankly, the way roaches move
> around, hardly any place where they can thrive is immune.

I have eaten at two local restaurants that were recently closed due to
an e-coli problem. The health department did a thorough inspection of
both places and the contamination was traced back to their produce
supplier. You can't really blame the restaurant. Both of them are well
established, very popular eateries, and they never had any previous
problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> It would surprise me muchly if even the cleanest restaurant kitchen
> didn't have the occasional roach or mouse. The bugs arrive with
> deliveries from warehouses or spread from neighboring buidlings. Mice
> come in from the cold to wherever there is food available.
>
> IMO if you think your favorite restaurant is immune, you are in denial.

One day I stopped at a Tim Hortons for coffee. It had just opened within
the previous week or so. There was construction going on around it in an
area that just a month or two before had been farmland. The outer door
was a little slow in closing and as I was going through the second door
a mouse scooted in through the first door, past me and into the coffee
shop. It certainly wasn't an indication of a problem with the place's
hygiene.

BTW... I told the manager about the uninvited guest and how he got in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:05:03 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:05:55 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"

>>> I'd say

>>A "resto?"
>>

> It wasn't a real restaurant. It was a commercial maker of tortillas
> (locally at least - their brand is in every grocery store around here)
> and they have a small market/deli at the front of the not so big
> storefront.
>
>>Jesus.
>>

> Worse.

I just hate all that girlyboy slang Asshole Morrow uses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:15:34 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > >
> >> ...in this particular case for cockroach infestation...???

> > And as soon as you left, their problem cleared up.
> >
> > -sw

> <snort>
>
> and the lesser vermin all had a drink.

See, blake, Steve actually *loves* me - but he has to keep it a "secret"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heck yes I would go back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sure. I've never experienced food poisoing and I think I may be missing out
on something.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:41:10 -0500, "Felice" >
wrote:

>Sure. I've never experienced food poisoing and I think I may be missing out
>on something.
>
>Felice

:\ but happily, me too. You're missing out on something like a
hospital stay. Hope you're happy now!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Nope. I seldom return to a restaurant that has lost it's A rating here. Too
> many other choices of restaurant to worry about the ones that don't do
> their jobs.

A number of restaurants in southern Ontario have been been shut down
recently due to a particular strain of e-coli. Health officials have
traced the sources to Romaine lettuce and are currently trying to track
the source, hopefully to the farm level. I am more likely to avoid
Romaine than the restaurants that were shut down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 8:06 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
> > Nope. I seldom return to a restaurant that has lost it's A rating here. Too
> > many other choices of restaurant to worry about the ones that don't do
> > their jobs.

> A number of restaurants in southern Ontario have been been shut down
> recently due to a particular strain of e-coli. Health officials have
> traced the sources to Romaine lettuce and are currently trying to track
> the source, hopefully to the farm level. I am more likely to avoid
> Romaine than the restaurants that were shut down.

Yes, I'd go back.

How's my logic - You could choose a place that has been caught, often
for something (like the lettuce supplier) not in the "resto"s direct
control, problem was fixed, place was reinspected and is probably
under greater scrutiny as a past offender.

Or, you could go to the place that hasn't been caught, yet.

As for home cooking - how many of us have kitchens that would pass a
stringent restaraunt inspection? Yet we all eat at home and most of
us aren't dead yet.

The big difference is that the restaurant is trying to make a profit,
may try to scrimp on things like storage temps and an extra hour of
clean-up at night.