Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women
tg tg is offline

Default TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls,chicken and goats

From The Times
November 5, 2008

Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
and goats

There's only one thing to take to a Kenyan election victory feast: a
goat. Preferably still breathing - “a sign of freshness“ - and with
big testicles, apparently the sign of quality breeding.

And so it was that I found myself bouncing along a dirt track towards
the ancestral home of the Obamas in a saloon car with the sound of
John the goat bleating miserably from the boot.

It had not been easy finding such a quality specimen. The local
livestock market had mostly sheep and cattle, with only a few scrawny
goats on hand.

Instead, John was spotted at the side of the road by my driver George,
who was impressed by the size of its belly and, well, other
attributes.

He was mine for 2500 shillings, a little under £20, and roughly the
price of 20 pints of beer or eight malaria-proof bednets.

“This is a fine animal,” said Abongo Malik Obama, at the lush family
homestead in the far west of Kenya, surrounded by grazing cattle and
fields thick with maize. “You are certainly welcome now to stay and
sit around the fire tonight.” By then John will be nyama choma - the
Swahili term for grilled meat.

He was to be only one small part of a vast celebration feast starting
last night and comprising four bulls, 16 chickens and assorted sheep
and goats.

“We are Africans, so our plan is to slaughter a bull and have friends
come over,” said Abongo, the candidate’s oldest half-brother.

“We invite Kogelo (the village where Mr Obama's Kenyan family lives)
to come over and it will be open house. People will just come on over
and bring a couple of sodas.”

Losing has never been considered in a country gripped by Obamamania
for the best part of four years. Ever since their “lost son” was
elected to the Senate everyone has been expecting him to become
president.

Every twist and turn of his primary battle and general election
campaign have been followed in the local papers and on television in
the belief that his rise was inevitable.

Today, early signs of celebration were obvious everywhere, long before
the polls opened.

American flags hung from trees in the city centre of Kisumu, the
regional capital, and flapped from the handlebars of bicycle taxis.

The Jamaican reggae hit, “Barack Obama”, by Cocoa Tea boomed from
matatus - the battered minibus taxis that most locals use to get
around.

And bars were setting up big screens so that patrons could watch
television coverage from the US as a whole nation held its breath for
the signal to celebrate.

In Kogelo, women peeled onions and stoked cooking fires - yet another
reminder of the vast gulf between his American dream and their African
reality.

Children rehearsed their songs ahead of a party being held at a
neighbouring school, the Senator Barack Obama Secondary School, while
gospel music pumped from a marquee where priests were praying for
victory.

Abongo, sitting in front of the tin-roofed shack that once belonged to
Obama’s father, a government economist who died in a car accident more
than two decades ago, said dozens of family members had congregated
for a historic event.

“The reason we are here is that we are looking forward to a great day
to celebrate,” he said, rubbishing any suggestion that Mr McCain might
win. “We are not considering that possibility. I am not,” he said
confidently, as a cock crowed in the shade of a mango tree.” The first
stage of the celebrations was starting tonight.

Relatives, including some from England, were planning to stay up
watching the results start to filter across the Atlantic.

Tomorrow, they will move to the neighbouring school where the chickens
are breathing their last.

“It’s going to be chaotic,” said Ben Semel, from New York, who was
helping organise the feast, “especially when everyone goes through the
election night without sleeping.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5082040.ece

www.davidduke.com
Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

"tg" > wrote in message
From The Times
November 5, 2008

[...]

========================
How quaint

Kitty

Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

On Nov 5, 5:47*am, tg > wrote:
> [...]
> Obama’s father, a government economist who died in a car accident more
> than two decades ago, said dozens of family members had congregated
> for a historic event.
>
> “The reason we are here is that we are looking forward to a great day
> to celebrate,” he said, rubbishing any suggestion that Mr McCain might
> win. “We are not considering that possibility. I am not,” he said
> confidently, as a cock crowed in the shade of a mango tree.” The first
> stage of the celebrations was starting tonight.
>
> Relatives, including some from England, were planning to stay up
> watching the results start to filter across the Atlantic.
>
> Tomorrow, they will move to the neighbouring school where the chickens
> are breathing their last.
>
> “It’s going to be chaotic,” said Ben Semel, from New York, who was
> helping organise the feast, “especially when everyone goes through the

We celebrated with beef and muttun steaks in Toronto! We dont know who
killed the animals!
Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

In article >,
"Kitty" > wrote:

> "tg" > wrote in message
> From The Times
> November 5, 2008
>
> Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
> and goats

Gee! I ate chicken for dinner last night.
Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

Stan Horwitz said...

@g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>> From The Times
>> November 5, 2008
>>
>> Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
>> and goats

> Gee! I ate chicken for dinner last night.

I put off election day lunch and dinner in favor of a celebratory Obama
victory breakfast...

A mile-high stack of buttermilk pancakes smothered in real butter and maple
syrup with fresh plump sausage links, a glass of whole milk... and a flu
shot. I skipped the giant, cheap, stale old cigar.

Andy

Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Stan Horwitz said...
>
>> In article >,
>> "Kitty" > wrote:
>>
>>> "tg" > wrote in message

> @g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>>> From The Times
>>> November 5, 2008
>>>
>>> Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
>>> and goats

>> Gee! I ate chicken for dinner last night.

> I put off election day lunch and dinner in favor of a celebratory Obama
> victory breakfast...
>
> A mile-high stack of buttermilk pancakes smothered in real butter and
> maple
> syrup with fresh plump sausage links, a glass of whole milk... and a flu
> shot. I skipped the giant, cheap, stale old cigar.

Oo. I want breakfast at your house.

Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

cybercat said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9B4D63EEDD051CotD@

85.214.105.209...
>> Stan Horwitz said...

>> @g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

>>> Gee! I ate chicken for dinner last night.

>> I put off election day lunch and dinner in favor of a celebratory Obama
>> victory breakfast...
>>
>> A mile-high stack of buttermilk pancakes smothered in real butter and
>> maple
>> syrup with fresh plump sausage links, a glass of whole milk... and a flu
>> shot. I skipped the giant, cheap, stale old cigar.
>>

> Oo. I want breakfast at your house.

cybercat,

I don't breakfast like THAT at home! I drove over to the diner in town. It
was packed and noisy! A mixed crowd of voters but we all got along in the
more urgent need to stuff our bellies.

You're welcome to join me in four more years! <VBG>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, tg > wrote:
>From The Times
>November 5, 2008
>
>Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
>and goats

According to the local ABC (Oz version) radio news this evening, the
Kenyan Govt has declared a national holiday on Thursday (hmm... that's
now *today* my time, YMMV :-) to celebrate.

I *assume* it will be a once-off and not an annual event there!

ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.

And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
free for the catching back then.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ken" schrieb :
<snip>
> I hope they arrive here. I love rabbit. Especially in hassenfeffer(sp?).

Hasenpfeffer.
Hase = hare, Pfeffer = pepper.
Hassen means to hate.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
"Michael Kuettner" > wrote:

> "Ken" schrieb :
> <snip>
> > I hope they arrive here. I love rabbit. Especially in hassenfeffer(sp?).

> Hasenpfeffer.
> Hase = hare, Pfeffer = pepper.
> Hassen means to hate.

hassenpfeffer would be the dish for my wife, then. She hates pepper,
the spice. She loves bell peppers, though.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to alt.politics.immigration,soc.culture.usa,rec.food.cooking,alt.fashion,soc.women

"tg" > wrote in message
From The Times
November 5, 2008

Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken
and goats

I'm sure the local Wal Mart is ****ed.

Idiot!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Dan Abel" schrieb :
> "Michael Kuettner" wrote:
>
>> "Ken" schrieb :
>> <snip>
>> > I hope they arrive here. I love rabbit. Especially in hassenfeffer(sp?).

>> Hasenpfeffer.
>> Hase = hare, Pfeffer = pepper.
>> Hassen means to hate.

> hassenpfeffer would be the dish for my wife, then. She hates pepper,
> the spice. She loves bell peppers, though.

Ah, then she's a Pfefferhasser (someone who hates pepper).

She loves bell peppers ? OK.

One red, one green and one yellow bell pepper.
Remove seeds and stems and dice them
500 grams minced meat
One can (minimum : 500 grams) of diced tomatos
One onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
powdered caraway seed
marjoram
salt (and optionally pepper)
lard (or oil)
vinegar
pinch of sugar

Heat lard (or oil) in pot. Fry onion while stirring on high heat until it
is glassy. Add garlic and minced meat. Stir well and brown the meat
slightly.
Add the bell peppers and stir well.
Add the spices. Stir well.
Add vinegar to deglace. Drop in the tomatos.
Stir well and let it simmer.
Adjust seasonings after one hour. Let it simmer for at least another hour.
Serve with baguette or pasta.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

>ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
>more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
>exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.
>
>And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
>in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
>food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
>free for the catching back then.
>

>Cheers, Phred.

I prefer goat to lamb. Its lean and full of flavour. I live outer
metro Perth and my little shop up the road always has the frozen
rabbits.

Mmmmm underground mutton stew !

Herbs, spices, mustards, curry blends and more.

http://www.spicewest.com.au

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:39:17 +0000, Phred wrote:

<snip>
> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here in
> the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional food of
> the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And free for
> the catching back then.

And still is free for the catching.
Bunny has become one of my favourite meats now, no shortage of them here
(rural NE Tas). In fact I rarely even need to leave the property for if
only after a couple of rabbits at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:39:34 +0800, Spice West wrote:

>>ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
>>more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
>>exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.
>>
>>And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here in
>>the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional food of
>>the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And free for
>>the catching back then.
>>

>>Cheers, Phred.

> I prefer goat to lamb. Its lean and full of flavour. I live outer metro
> Perth and my little shop up the road always has the frozen rabbits.
>
> Mmmmm underground mutton stew !

Mutton /Birds/ are also quite tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred > wrote:

> ObFood: Also heard on the news recently that Australians are eating
> more and more goat meat as times get harder. Most of it used to be
> exported and was difficult to find locally. Must check it out again.
>
> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
> in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
> food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
> free for the catching back then.

Fresh rabbits are available any day of the week here; kid appears only
occasionally in regular groceries but can always be ordered at the
market. Goat milk is always available. All kinds of goat and kid meat
(offal including) and milk products can be obtain at a goat farm just
east of Cologne, about 60 km from here.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, =?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= > wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:39:17 +0000, Phred wrote:
>
><snip>
>> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here in
>> the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional food of
>> the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And free for
>> the catching back then.

>And still is free for the catching.
>Bunny has become one of my favourite meats now, no shortage of them here
>(rural NE Tas). In fact I rarely even need to leave the property for if
>only after a couple of rabbits at a time.

Actually, live rabbits only arrived here in the deep north a decade or
so ago. But they were on the McBride Plateau (between Mt Garnet and
Charters Towers) at least 20 years before that. They've never been
common locally AFAIK (I saw one in the front yard on two occasions
about a week apart five years ago, but none since.)

[For those who may be reading in other parts, I should mention that my
comment " rabbit is a traditional food of the Depression era here in
Oz" applied in the southern parts of Oz, not here in the tropics.]

I'm interested in your mention of plentiful rabbits in NE Tassie.
Does that mean the populations are recovering from the attempts to
wipe them out with myxo and colichi(sp.?) or weren't those two
diseases introduced to Tasmania?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:41:37 +0000, Phred wrote:

> In article >, =?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?=
> > wrote:
>>On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:39:17 +0000, Phred wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
>>> in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
>>> food of the Depression era here in Oz. (But fresh, not frozen. And
>>> free for the catching back then.

>>And still is free for the catching.
>>Bunny has become one of my favourite meats now, no shortage of them here
>>(rural NE Tas). In fact I rarely even need to leave the property for if
>>only after a couple of rabbits at a time.

> Actually, live rabbits only arrived here in the deep north a decade or
> so ago. But they were on the McBride Plateau (between Mt Garnet and
> Charters Towers) at least 20 years before that. They've never been
> common locally AFAIK (I saw one in the front yard on two occasions about
> a week apart five years ago, but none since.)

They're slowly adapting...
I recall seeing a feral cat near one of the Katherine gorges a bit over
20 years ago. That surprised me at the time.

> [For those who may be reading in other parts, I should mention that my
> comment " rabbit is a traditional food of the Depression era here in
> Oz" applied in the southern parts of Oz, not here in the tropics.]
>
> I'm interested in your mention of plentiful rabbits in NE Tassie. Does
> that mean the populations are recovering from the attempts to wipe them
> out with myxo and colichi(sp.?) or weren't those two diseases introduced
> to Tasmania?

I only moved to Tassie back in April Phred, so I don't have an
authoritive answer for you at the moment.
However, it seems clear that the myxo etc. only went so far.

I also recall back around 2003 - I was right on the coastline at Bermagui
(NSW south coast) one night and the ground was thick with bunnies.
I mean they were *everywhere*.
Theres a golden opportunity there for someone to turn that problem into a
money making venture I reckon (assuming red tape doesnt spoil things).

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:12:00 +0000, Phred wrote:

<snip>

> I had a closer look at the frozen ones in our local "second" supermarket
> this morning. I couldn't find a weight on the label, but the price was
> $25.00 each... Clearly no longer Depression fare!

Not at all surprising, when you consider the time and effort involved
getting rabbit to the supermarket. The economies of scale and existing
infrastructure compared to mass-produced 'factory' meats such as most
beef and lamb and chicken is totally different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, =?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= > wrote:
>On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:12:00 +0000, Phred wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> I had a closer look at the frozen ones in our local "second" supermarket
>> this morning. I couldn't find a weight on the label, but the price was
>> $25.00 each... Clearly no longer Depression fare!

>Not at all surprising, when you consider the time and effort involved
>getting rabbit to the supermarket. The economies of scale and existing
>infrastructure compared to mass-produced 'factory' meats such as most
>beef and lamb and chicken is totally different.

Hmm... Perhaps true, but I'm not so sure. In fact, I was startled to
read on the label that these frozen rabbits were "Grain fed", which
left me imagining a rabbit feedlot out back of Bourke! (And here's me
thinking rabbits ate lettuce. ;-)

Of course, "Grain fed" may just have meant they were shot in a paddock
of wheat on the Darling Downs -- or, more likely, had no meaning at
all beyond a glib marketing phrase.

If there really are rabbit feedlots somewhere in Oz, maybe someone out
there can enlighten the rest of us? (I doubt that there would be any
in Queensland because, last time I looked, it was/is illegal to keep
the damn pests here.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Phred" > wrote in message

> And frozen rabbits are making an appearance in our supermarkets here
> in the deep north of the deep south too -- rabbit is a traditional
> food of the Depression era here in Oz.

Have you checked out the price of it though? I have to pay $16 for a
rabbit.

I love bunny cooked with prunes and pine nuts.