FoodBanter.com

-   -   Score!!! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/163584-score.html)

Christine Dabney 05-11-2008 12:47 AM

Score!!!

I scored big time!!!!

Just came back from the local Smiths (a Kroger affiliate).. I was
just cruising by the meat counter, and happened to see a package that
was labeled as a frozen duck. However, it was not frozen, and the
package was labeled as being $3.94 ($0.99/pound). Wow!

I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
appetizer.

Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....

Christine

Lin 05-11-2008 12:51 AM

Score!!!

Christine Dabney quacked about duck:

> I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
> be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
> appetizer.
>
> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....

Excellent ... perhaps a Duck Pizza? ;-)

I do love duck and I do love pizza. What time is dinner?

--Lin

Tracy[_2_] 05-11-2008 12:51 AM

Score!!!

Christine Dabney wrote:
> I scored big time!!!!
>
> Just came back from the local Smiths (a Kroger affiliate).. I was
> just cruising by the meat counter, and happened to see a package that
> was labeled as a frozen duck. However, it was not frozen, and the
> package was labeled as being $3.94 ($0.99/pound). Wow!
>
> I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
> be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
> appetizer.
>
> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....
>
> Christine

There is a nice duck recipe in Jacques and Julia Cooking at Home. I am
sure you have that one....

Tracy

PeterLucas[_5_] 05-11-2008 12:55 AM

Score!!!

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I scored big time!!!!
>
> Just came back from the local Smiths (a Kroger affiliate).. I was
> just cruising by the meat counter, and happened to see a package that
> was labeled as a frozen duck. However, it was not frozen, and the
> package was labeled as being $3.94 ($0.99/pound). Wow!

*Very* good score...... well done!!

> I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
> be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
> appetizer.

Have the pizza and spend a bit of extra time preparing that duck for a
meal tomorrow night, maybe.

> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....
>
> Christine

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Crispy Roasted duck.............

http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-ho...ted-ducklings-
recipe/article14131.html

or.........

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/duck

Duck with orange........ Peking duck, I *love* those Chinese pancakes
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Peking-style_Duck.aspx

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Christine Dabney 05-11-2008 12:56 AM

Score!!!

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:51:38 -0800, Lin >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney quacked about duck:
>
>> I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
>> be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
>> appetizer.
>>
>> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....

>Excellent ... perhaps a Duck Pizza? ;-)
>
>I do love duck and I do love pizza. What time is dinner?
>
>--Lin

In a few hours....I think. Now looking through my cookbooks, to see
how I want to cook it.

You bringing dessert?

I have some Prosseco for the rest of the evening...depending on how
the night goes, I will either celebrate or drown my sorrows.

Christine

Christine Dabney 05-11-2008 12:56 AM

Score!!!

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:51:50 -0500, Tracy > wrote:

>There is a nice duck recipe in Jacques and Julia Cooking at Home. I am
>sure you have that one....
>
>Tracy

Yes, I have that book. I also have Julia Child and Company, and I
think she also has a nice duck recipe in there too!

Christine

PeterLucas[_5_] 05-11-2008 01:04 AM

Score!!!

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I have some Prosseco for the rest of the evening...depending on how
> the night goes, I will either celebrate or drown my sorrows.

It's not in a can, is it?? :-)

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/1...at_is_Prosecco

sf[_7_] 05-11-2008 06:26 AM

Score!!!

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:47:54 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I scored big time!!!!
>
>Just came back from the local Smiths (a Kroger affiliate).. I was
>just cruising by the meat counter, and happened to see a package that
>was labeled as a frozen duck. However, it was not frozen, and the
>package was labeled as being $3.94 ($0.99/pound). Wow!
>
>I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
>be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
>appetizer.
>
>Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....

Oh, come on.... you could make a duck pizza. Whimp.

LOL

Mae West

Omelet[_7_] 05-11-2008 09:58 AM

Score!!!

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I scored big time!!!!
>
> Just came back from the local Smiths (a Kroger affiliate).. I was
> just cruising by the meat counter, and happened to see a package that
> was labeled as a frozen duck. However, it was not frozen, and the
> package was labeled as being $3.94 ($0.99/pound). Wow!
>
> I snatched that baby up!!!! I guess my election night meal might not
> be pizza after all!!! Although I could fix a small pizza as an
> appetizer.
>
> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....
>
> Christine

IMHO roasted really is best, altho' there are other options. :-)
Cut up and fried like a chicken, made into soup, etc....
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Lynn from Fargo 05-11-2008 02:32 PM

Score!!!

This is from Gourmet Sept. 2008 (via epicurious) I remembered this
because it uses the entire duck.

Braised Duck Legs and Sautéed Duck Breast
GourmetÂ*|Â* September 2008
yield: Makes 4 servings
active time: 1 1/4 hr
total time: 3 1/4 hr

We love how Carena uses every part of the duck: The carcass makes a
velvety broth for braising the wings and legs until they're fall- off-
the-bon... more ۼ

ingredients
€¢ 1 (6- to 7-pound) Long Island (Pekin) duck, excess fat from body
cavity discarded
€¢ 1 leek, cut into 1-inch pieces
€¢ 2 large sweet onions (2 pounds total) such as Vidalia
€¢ 1 medium carrot
€¢ 1 quart water
€¢ 2 pounds parsnips
€¢ 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided
€¢ 1 (1-inch) piece peeled ginger
€¢ 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
€¢ 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
€¢ 1/4 cup chopped parsley
€¢ 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

preparation
Cut off legs, wings, and breasts from duck and cut up carcass and wing
tips for stock. Remove any bones from breasts, leaving skin on. Chill
legs, wings, and breasts in a sealable bag.
Wash leek , then put in a 6- to 8-quarts pot with carcass, 1 onion
(cut in half), carrot, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon
pepper. Bring to a boil, skimming foam. Reduce heat and gently simmer,
uncovered, skimming occasionally, 1 hour. Strain stock through a fine-
mesh sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids. Skim off and discard
fat.
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Coarsely chop remaining onion. Peel parsnips and cut into 3-inch
batons (1/4 inch thick). Pat legs and wings dry and season with 1/2
teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide 6- to 7-quart heavy pot over medium-
high heat until it shimmers, then brown legs and wings, turning over
once, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion to pot with parsnips, ginger, zest, juice, 1 teaspoon salt,
and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring
occasionally, until vegetables are softened and pale golden, 6 to 8
minutes. Add 2 cups duck stock (save remainder for another use) and
nestle legs and wings in vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and
braise in oven until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Let stand,
uncovered, at room temperature 1 hour while cooking breasts.
Season duck breasts with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
(total).
Heat remaining teaspoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high
heat until it shimmers. Cook duck breasts, skin sides down, until well
browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook about 6 minutes for medium-
rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
Mix together parsley and garlic. Slice breasts crosswise. Serve legs
and wings over parsnips and serve sliced breast on the side. Sprinkle
with parsley mixture.
Cooks' notes:
€¢Stock can be made 1 day ahead and chilled (covered once cool). Fat
will be easier to remove once cold and solidified.۬ۢLegs and wings can
be braised 1 day ahead and chilled.

I realize you've probably already chosen but maybe this is for your
next big score!

Lynn in Fargo

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 06-11-2008 10:39 AM

Score!!!

Christine wrote:

> Now to figure out how I want to cook this duckling....

At El Farol in Santa Fe, they roast duck and serve with this wonderful
sauce:

(This is from _El Farol: Tapas and Spanish Cuisine_, and is recommended in
the book as an accompaniment for roast duck, chicken, or quail.)

Moroccan Carrot Sauce

1 yellow onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
10 carrots, peeled and chopped
8 cups chicken stock
1 can orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons chile pequin, crushed
salt and pepper

Sauté onion and garlic in a skillet. Add spices and carrots. Stir. Add
remaining ingredients and boil until the carrots are soft. Puree in a
blender and strain through a wire mesh. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Makes 8 cups

Bob