Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Election Night Meal

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > > That's certainly a negative attitude. No matter who wins, you'll be
> > > disappointed. Honestly, I feel sorry for you and hope to never walk
> > > in your shoes.

> > LOL that's silly. Why feel sorry? In every election people are
> > disappointed. Neither candidate was ever my choice, along with millions
> > of other people. That is the way the system works when only two
> > candidates are permitted.

> > > I don't eat cake very often - not even once every 4 years.

> > Your choice of course, as is your choice of presidential candidate

> Sorry about your ballot. Mine had six choices for President of the US.

Mine only had 3.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > > of other people. That is the way the system works when only two
> > > candidates are permitted.

> > Sorry about your ballot. Mine had six choices for President of the US.

> Mine only had 3.

How about we arrange some kind of trade?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Dan Abel > wrote:

> > > Sorry about your ballot. Mine had six choices for President of the US.

> > Mine only had 3.

> How about we arrange some kind of trade?
>
> :-)

Who were the others? I had Obama, McCain and Nader.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 12:44*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *merryb > wrote:
> > On Nov 4, 1:57*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Did you add "herbals" to it? <eg>

> > Of course! I'm looking forward to a little party, even if it's on a
> > Tuesday night! I printed up pics of Sarah, Joe, John, and Barack, plus
> > the ding dongs fighting for the Goveror's seat here in WA, and I think
> > we'll throw darts at all of them- I'm an equal oppurtunity hostess!
> > Wish you could join us and not have to worry about a p test!

> <laughs> *I wish I could too! Sounds like fun. ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

It was! Hard to get up this morning, but worth it!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> Did Michelle Obama spend $450 on room service?

If she did, that is peanuts compared to the sort of expenses our last
two governor general have spent. When Michaëlle Jean's family stayed in
an Ottawa hotel the night before she was installed into her appointed
position they ran up a bill over $1200.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:34:11 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> blake murphy > wrote:

>> You might not be comfortable in California then....

>possibly not. do you think that government by proposition has been a good
>thing there?

It's very mixed. I'd say the fact that out-of-state money
can press a button and change California law in a way
that can't be reversed by the courts is wrong; it cedes too
much power in the wrong way.

But you have to mainly blame the voters.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > In article

> > > Mine only had 3.

> > How about we arrange some kind of trade?
> >
> > :-)

> Who were the others? I had Obama, McCain and Nader.

Bob Barr Libertarian
Cynthia McKinney Green
Alan Keyes American Independent
Ralph Nader Peace & Freedom

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:43:48 -0600, Michel Boucher
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On election night, my daughter and I watched the results in her living
>>> room, after eating a veggie pizza I had made:
>>>
>>> pesto to coat the crust
>>> red and green pepper, chopped fine
>>> crumbled goat's milk cheese
>>> pignoli to taste
>>>
>>> I made the pesto from fresh basil leaves, oil, and garlic.

>> Election night will be pizza night for me too! I made the dough
>> tonight and my son will be the pizza chef tomorrow night. It's a
>> win-win situation.

> It looks as if it will be pizza night for us as well. I was going to
> cook, but I've come down with a nasty cold and the SO doesn't want me
> serving up viruses. I'll probably stick to water, since I'd probably
> zonk out before the Washington polls close if I had any alcohol.
>
> Cindy

I was gonna make a pizza, but I got home pretty late; so (like I
mentioned in another thread) I had whiskey and beef jerky for supper
instead.

The pizza dough is ready and in the fridge waiting, I'll probably bake
it tonight.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Dan Abel > wrote:

> > > How about we arrange some kind of trade?
> > >
> > > :-)

> > Who were the others? I had Obama, McCain and Nader.

> Bob Barr Libertarian
> Cynthia McKinney Green
> Alan Keyes American Independent
> Ralph Nader Peace & Freedom

I wonder why I did not see the others on my ballot?
Not that I'd have wasted a vote...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > In article

> > > Who were the others? I had Obama, McCain and Nader.

> > Bob Barr Libertarian
> > Cynthia McKinney Green
> > Alan Keyes American Independent
> > Ralph Nader Peace & Freedom

> I wonder why I did not see the others on my ballot?
> Not that I'd have wasted a vote...

Probably because the folks in Texas didn't get them on the ballot, but
the folks in California did?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> > > Bob Barr Libertarian
> > > Cynthia McKinney Green
> > > Alan Keyes American Independent
> > > Ralph Nader Peace & Freedom

> > I wonder why I did not see the others on my ballot?
> > Not that I'd have wasted a vote...

> Probably because the folks in Texas didn't get them on the ballot, but
> the folks in California did?

That hardly seems equitable.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> don't you ever get tired of spouting false right-wing talking points?
>>
>> blake

> I generally trust Fox news...

Tell me you're being sarcastic...

If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly would
explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> don't you ever get tired of spouting false right-wing talking points?
>>>
>>> blake

>> I generally trust Fox news...

> Tell me you're being sarcastic...

SHE'S NOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> don't you ever get tired of spouting false right-wing talking points?
>>>
>>> blake

>> I generally trust Fox news...

> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
>
> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly would
> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
>
> Mary

Does one bad interview which was known to be edited to suit the program,
mean she never had anything of value to say?? I don't think so. Isn't
that a little short sighted?
And I don't believe Fox is *any* different from CNN and the others. When
I hear Fox, I actually hear both sides of a debate (who are those guys
that are polar opposites on that show?) unlike CNN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> MareCat wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> I generally trust Fox news...

> > Tell me you're being sarcastic...
> >
> > If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly

would
> > explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
> >
> > Mary
> >

> Does one bad interview which was known to be edited to suit the program,
> mean she never had anything of value to say?? I don't think so. Isn't
> that a little short sighted?
> And I don't believe Fox is *any* different from CNN and the others. When
> I hear Fox, I actually hear both sides of a debate (who are those guys
> that are polar opposites on that show?) unlike CNN.

Yup, despite having a somewhat "conservative" bias, Fox has a greater
ideological "spread" of opinion than any other cable news source. It's been
interesting to watch many of the heated debates on their various programs
during the presidential election...CNN by contrast is really bland.

It's *one* of *many nooze sources, and I read and watch and listen to
everything from Radio Havana to _The Weekly Standard_ and more...

Is Fox Nooze sometimes "snarky"? Sure, but that makes it more interesting
to watch...nothing bores me more than white - bread blandness. Take it
FWIW, just like any other media outlet...

I also like _The Huffington Post_, it never bores...

As for Katie Couric, she's a smarmy sneering CROCK masquerading as "your
friend", never could abide her, hardly what I'd call a "journalist"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"MareCat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:
> >
> >> don't you ever get tired of spouting false right-wing talking points?
> >>
> >> blake

> > I generally trust Fox news...

> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
>
> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly would
> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
>
> Mary

Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

CNN I still take with a grain of salt sometimes tho'.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "MareCat" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I generally trust Fox news...

>> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
>>
>> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly
>> would
>> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
>>
>> Mary

> Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

Oh, OK. Hard to tell in a written medium sometimes...

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"MareCat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "MareCat" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> > In article >,

> >> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
> >>
> >> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly
> >> would
> >> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
> >>
> >> Mary

> > Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

> Oh, OK. Hard to tell in a written medium sometimes...
>
> Mary

Blake will probably miss the Irony too.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> "MareCat" > wrote:
>
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > news

> > > Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

> > Oh, OK. Hard to tell in a written medium sometimes...

> Blake will probably miss the Irony too.

Me, too! I know too many smart people who trust Fox news.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "MareCat" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> > In article >,

>>> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
>>>
>>> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly
>>> would
>>> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
>>>
>>> Mary

>> Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

> Oh, OK. Hard to tell in a written medium sometimes...

She was serious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:02:39 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:06:34 -0600, anonymous >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Early voting should be made mandatory in all states...

>> Or at least made easier. California has cleverly hidden the
>> information for years.

>How many years have they been hiding it? I haven't found any definite
>reference, but it appears that this is the first year it's been offered.
>Perhaps it appeared "hidden" because it didn't exist?

No, it existed - and that's why I'm annoyed. I found out from a
friend who is a poll supervisor. Now that you say this is the first
year for what we're thinking of as early voting, I'll cross examine
her to find out what she meant by early voting the next time we talk.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:07:05 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

> do you think that government by proposition has been a good
>thing there?

That's the only way to get things done around here. Put it on the
ballot and vote... otherwise politicians haggle over it for years.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> It looks as if it will be pizza night for us as well. I was going to
> cook, but I've come down with a nasty cold and the SO doesn't want me
> serving up viruses. I'll probably stick to water, since I'd probably
> zonk out before the Washington polls close if I had any alcohol.

No pizza. Even though it was not his turn to cook, the SO (me)
gallantly volunteered to prepare spaghetti with sausage and home-made
tomato sauce.

As noted earlier, the menu choice was chosen for its election-night
symbolism, inspired by an old saying...

"There are two things you do not want to watch being made: sausage and
legislation."

Spaghetti is also symbolic of the logic used in the rhetoric of our
politicians. Pretzels would also work.

CJ threw caution to the wind, and helped me drain half a bottle of wine.
Amazingly, she remained awake to see Obama's speech. We waited 8 years
for this. A few more hours were easy to manage.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:26:25 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> don't you ever get tired of spouting false right-wing talking points?
>>
>> blake

> I generally trust Fox news...

there's your problem right there. they ran this item? did they bother to
retract it when it was proven utterly false?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:41:22 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> MareCat wrote:
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I generally trust Fox news...

>> Tell me you're being sarcastic...
>>
>> If you really are getting all your "news" from Faux News, it certainly would
>> explain why you missed Palin's interview with Couric.
>>
>> Mary
>>

> Does one bad interview which was known to be edited to suit the program,
> mean she never had anything of value to say?? I don't think so. Isn't
> that a little short sighted?
> And I don't believe Fox is *any* different from CNN and the others. When
> I hear Fox, I actually hear both sides of a debate (who are those guys
> that are polar opposites on that show?) unlike CNN.

cite for 'known to be edited,' please. (actually CBS *did* edit a mccain
interview, but to make him look less ridiculous, not more.) even if it was
edited, palin looked like a complete idiot. did you see it or not?

and sorry, the idea that fox is 'fair and balanced' is just stupid. no
reputable media critic would agree with it. they might was well be on the
RNC payroll.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:38:28 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "MareCat" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Yes, I was being sarcastic. ;-) Fox is primarily one sided conservative.

>> Oh, OK. Hard to tell in a written medium sometimes...
>>
>> Mary

> Blake will probably miss the Irony too.

right, i forgot you were a centrist.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:16:12 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:34:11 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>>> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> You might not be comfortable in California then....

>>possibly not. do you think that government by proposition has been a good
>>thing there?

> It's very mixed. I'd say the fact that out-of-state money
> can press a button and change California law in a way
> that can't be reversed by the courts is wrong; it cedes too
> much power in the wrong way.
>
> But you have to mainly blame the voters.
>
> Steve

mucking about with the constitution is usually a bad idea in any case, but
it's even worse when dealing with momentary passions of the voters.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 20:43:16 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:07:05 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> do you think that government by proposition has been a good
>>thing there?

> That's the only way to get things done around here. Put it on the
> ballot and vote... otherwise politicians haggle over it for years.

for some matters, that's a good thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:16:31 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> Dan Abel > wrote:

>>> How about we arrange some kind of trade?
>>>
>>> :-)

>> Who were the others? I had Obama, McCain and Nader.

> Bob Barr Libertarian
> Cynthia McKinney Green
> Alan Keyes American Independent
> Ralph Nader Peace & Freedom

jeez, alan keyes *again*? that boy has lots of stamina. (though nader is
crepping up on gus hall territory now as well.)

maryland had chuck baldwin for the constitution party also.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > > That's certainly a negative attitude. No matter who wins, you'll be
> > > disappointed. Honestly, I feel sorry for you and hope to never walk
> > > in your shoes.

> > LOL that's silly. Why feel sorry? In every election people are
> > disappointed. Neither candidate was ever my choice, along with millions
> > of other people. That is the way the system works when only two
> > candidates are permitted.

> > > I don't eat cake very often - not even once every 4 years.

> > Your choice of course, as is your choice of presidential candidate

> Sorry about your ballot. Mine had six choices for President of the US.
>
> --

There were only three locally: McCain, Nader and Obama. No mechanisms
for write-in past the primary.

NB: not being a citizen, don't get to vote in US elections anyway. Got
the info from the election newsletter that was at the polling station
(my mother gets to vote).