Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Icebox cookies?

Does anyone make these anymore? I was in conversation with a very young
woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
feeling old....)

A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Does anyone make these anymore? I was in conversation with a very young
> woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
> feeling old....)
>
> A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!
>
> TammyM

Here's a recipe my mother used. She used to keep dough in the fridge most
of the time so my Dad (who loved these) could always have fresh cookies.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ice Box Cookies

Recipe By :Lucy Elizabeth Grabs Vilberg Westcott
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

1 cup butter -- browned
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs -- well beaten
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans -- chopped

Pour browned butter over sugar. Add eggs. Mix dry ingredients and add to
first mixture. Add pecans. Form in roll. Keep in refrigerator for 24
hours.

Slice thin and bake 12 minutes at 375 degress.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

>> Does anyone make these anymore? I was in conversation with a very young
>> woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
>> feeling old....)
>>
>> A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!
>>
>> TammyM

> Here's a recipe my mother used. She used to keep dough in the fridge most
> of the time so my Dad (who loved these) could always have fresh cookies.

<recipe snipped>

Awwww! What a sweet thing to do! Obviously a woman who loved her man! I
think I'll call these "ChrisM's Dad's Favorite Cookies" :-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 1:31*pm, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:
> > Does anyone make these anymore? *I was in conversation with a very young
> > woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
> > feeling old....)

> > A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!

> > TammyM

> Here's a recipe my mother used. *She used to keep dough in the fridge most
> of the time so my Dad (who loved these) could always have fresh cookies.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Ice Box Cookies
>
> Recipe By * * :Lucy Elizabeth Grabs Vilberg Westcott
> Serving Size *: 1 * * Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories * *: Cookies
>
> * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *butter -- browned
> * 2 * * * * * * * cups *brown sugar
> * 2 * * * * * * * * * * eggs -- well beaten
> * 3 * * * * * * * cups *flour
> * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *baking soda
> * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *cream of tartar
> * * *1/4 * * *teaspoon *salt
> * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *pecans -- chopped
>
> Pour browned butter over sugar. *Add eggs. *Mix dry ingredients and add to
> first mixture. *Add pecans. *Form in roll. *Keep in refrigerator for 24
> hours.
>
> Slice thin and bake 12 minutes at 375 degress.

Thank you Thank you!
I've been looking for that recipe for a loooooooooooong time
Gonna make 'em Monday!
Lynn in Fargo
already voted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 31 Oct 2008 09:42:18p, Arri London told us...

> Nothing old about refrigerator cookies. Pillsbury seem to do a line of
> those...

Ice Box Cookies gained tremendous popularity from the 20s thru the 50s, as
more and more people bought refrigerators. True “ice boxes” didn’t really
chill the dough sufficiently to make it firm enough to slice.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Halloween
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 3dys 3hrs 6mins
After a hard day, it's nice to come

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> Does anyone make these anymore? I was in conversation with a very young
> woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
> feeling old....)
>
> A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!
>
> TammyM

Nothing old about refrigerator cookies. Pillsbury seem to do a line of
those...

Try this: From 'Favorite Recipes from Southern Kitchens: Desserts)
paraphrased
Haven't made them but other recipes from the book have worked out well.

3 eggs
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp (baking) soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Let butter stand at room temp until soft. Beat eggs until light. Add to
the soft butter. Add dry ingredients, beat until blended. Add flour if
needed. Add vanilla. Form into a roll; refrigerate for several hours (or
o/n).Slice and bake 400 F 10--15 mins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Does anyone make these anymore? I was in conversation with a very young
> woman at work and she didn't know what I was talking about (talk about
> feeling old....)
>
> A few recipes would be nice, if you have them!
>
> TammyM

There is a wonderful icebox cookie the boss makes. The dough is rolled out
then cinnamon is sprinkled and the dough is rolled.

Later after resting in the fridge the dough is slices and PAINTED with a
coating of REAL maple syrup before baking.

Heaven.

Dimitri

Lemon Icebox Pie Terry Pogue Recipes (moderated) 0 09-09-2010 01:50 AM
Lemon Icebox Pie Mr. Bill[_2_] Baking 0 14-02-2009 12:21 PM
REC - Brown Sugar Pecan Icebox Cookies Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 6 09-08-2006 01:21 PM
Icebox Cookies, Help! PickyJaz General Cooking 6 09-03-2006 08:55 PM
Icebox Sugar Cookies in a Jar Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2006 09:54 PM