Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OXO: Went Downhill - Now Pure Crap

I had $160 to spend at Linens n' Things before they went out of
business, so I picked up a couple more OXO spatulas. I really liked
the ones I got 6-8 years ago, so I blindly picked up one wide and
one regular sized spatulas (turners, not the scrapers).

I went to take out my enchiladas with the new wide spatula and the
thing just bent. It couldn't even hold the weight of one enchilada.
WTF? I pulled out my old OXO spatula and compared the thickness of
the plastic. The old ones are at least 3 times thicker than the
ones I just bought.

What a load of crap. OXO has gone the way of Ecko, Oneida, Black
and Decker, Delonghi, T-Fal, and dozens of others: They all used to
make good stuff, but now it's all crap. The stuff I've had in my
kitchen for 20-40 years are probably the only things worthwhile
I'll have left when I die.

I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.

> I'm not sure where they started out but every OXO thing I've seen for at
> least a couple years is made in China.

Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap.

These things are made to specifications developed in America by
Americans (or under the supervision of Americans). Do you really
think OXO called for 1/4" silicone plastic and these underhanded
Chinese manufacturers substituted 1/16th" PVC plastic without OXO
knowing?

And OXO also knowingly outsourced it's manufacturing to China - that
was no accident either.

So while you're busy blaming the Chinese, you need to look inward
and blame the American companies that develop these shotty products
and outsource their manufacturing, the American people for buying
this crap, and the American politicians who support these practices.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.

>> I'm not sure where they started out but every OXO thing I've seen for at
>> least a couple years is made in China.

> Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap.
>
> These things are made to specifications developed in America by
> Americans (or under the supervision of Americans). Do you really
> think OXO called for 1/4" silicone plastic and these underhanded
> Chinese manufacturers substituted 1/16th" PVC plastic without OXO
> knowing?
>
> And OXO also knowingly outsourced it's manufacturing to China - that
> was no accident either.
>
> So while you're busy blaming the Chinese, you need to look inward
> and blame the American companies that develop these shotty products
> and outsource their manufacturing, the American people for buying
> this crap, and the American politicians who support these practices.
>
> -sw

Agree that you can't blame the Chinese or anyone else making something
to a spec.

The problem is that we went from thinking about quality and value to
cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap when big boxes like Walmart appeared and told
us that is what we really wanted and all we should ever consider.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:

> The problem is that we went from thinking about quality and value to
> cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap when big boxes like Walmart appeared and told
> us that is what we really wanted and all we should ever consider.

Yep. The unwashed masses would rather buy and use something
inferior for a year at 1/4 the price of something that could last
them a lifetime. It's the 'ol buy now, pay later thinking.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:02:09 -0600, Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap.

>> These things are made to specifications developed in America by
>> Americans (or under the supervision of Americans). Do you really think
>> OXO called for 1/4" silicone plastic and these underhanded Chinese
>> manufacturers substituted 1/16th" PVC plastic without OXO knowing?

> Absolutely. They detected anti-freeze in toothpaste, for example.
> Anti-freeze doesn't even GO into toothpaste; it's for car radiators. And
> poison in milk and chocolate . . .

If this is a problem for you - then what of things like U.S manufactured
margarine and ice cream??
Why is *that* apparently okay by you? Because they have your 'independent
and unbiased' FDA complicit in hiding all the chemicals used?

You worry about Anti-freeze used by the Chinese - but thinners, Propyline
(used as paint remover, & YES - ANTIFREEZE), Flavours (used as flea
killers, embalming fluid, leather tanners) etc. are all good, so long as
in good 'ol U.S made products?

>> And OXO also knowingly outsourced it's manufacturing to China - that
>> was no accident either.

> No, it was no accident, and OXO haven't benefited from any purchases by
> me.

Which doesn't alter the fact that OXO knew exactly what they were doing.

Speaking of U.S made products, 3 weeks ago I bought a $4000 Murray ride-
on lawnmower (made in the U.S). And what a pile of crap it has been
But... I should eventually be able to replace, repair or modify the
shortcomings (basically all related to poor workmanship).

Do they still make OXO stock cubes? Thats the only product I'm familiar
with under that brand name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.

I'm not sure where they started out but every OXO thing I've seen for at
least a couple years is made in China.

Just more junk passing through your life between the store and the
landfill.

Who needs it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:24:16 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
> wrote:

>Speaking of U.S made products, 3 weeks ago I bought a $4000 Murray ride-
>on lawnmower (made in the U.S). And what a pile of crap it has been
>But... I should eventually be able to replace, repair or modify the
>shortcomings (basically all related to poor workmanship).

Why would you repair such a new machine? Return it. Get your money
back.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap.

>> These things are made to specifications developed in America by
>> Americans (or under the supervision of Americans). Do you really
>> think OXO called for 1/4" silicone plastic and these underhanded
>> Chinese manufacturers substituted 1/16th" PVC plastic without OXO
>> knowing?

> Absolutely. They detected anti-freeze in toothpaste, for example.
> Anti-freeze doesn't even GO into toothpaste; it's for car radiators.
> And poison in milk and chocolate . . .

Both manufactured by the Chinese for the Chinese. You should have
used pet food as an example.

BTW: We're talking about changes in products that are readily
apparent without forensic testing.

> On a happier note, I spotted a genuine Ecko spatula, with the cream
> colored Bakelite handle, clearly marked "Made in USA" in an antique shop
> last week. I might go pick it up; it was only $10.

A lot of cook cookware can be found at garage and estate sales. And
sometimes at Walmart prices.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> Do they still make OXO stock cubes? Thats the only product I'm familiar
> with under that brand name.

OXO makes the "Good Grips" line of kitchen utensils and equipment.
Perhaps you recognize that trademark better than the brand name.
They're in every store that sells kitchen stuff.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:36:32 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> What a load of crap. OXO has gone the way of Ecko, Oneida, Black and
>> Decker, Delonghi, T-Fal, and dozens of others: They all used to make
>> good stuff, but now it's all crap. The stuff I've had in my kitchen
>> for 20-40 years are probably the only things worthwhile I'll have left
>> when I die.
>>
>> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.
>>
>> -sw

> It's all made in China these days and not to the old specs. We dread
> replacing some of our oldest kitchen items. The same-branded items just
> aren't the same quality as the old bits.

Yes, these days one can no longer assume their favourite brand has
maintained quality.

In a way, it is the *consumer* who is responsible for this, because most
buy on bottom price yet still expect quality. These companies have to
listen and respond accordingly if they wish to remain competitive.

I'm certainly not excusing it though...

I'd rather pay more for quality any day, thank you.*

*mind you - higher prices by no means is necessarily an indicator of good
quality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's crap.

> These things are made to specifications developed in America by
> Americans (or under the supervision of Americans). Do you really
> think OXO called for 1/4" silicone plastic and these underhanded
> Chinese manufacturers substituted 1/16th" PVC plastic without OXO
> knowing?

Absolutely. They detected anti-freeze in toothpaste, for example.
Anti-freeze doesn't even GO into toothpaste; it's for car radiators.
And poison in milk and chocolate . . .

> And OXO also knowingly outsourced it's manufacturing to China - that
> was no accident either.

No, it was no accident, and OXO haven't benefited from any purchases by
me.

> So while you're busy blaming the Chinese, you need to look inward
> and blame the American companies that develop these shotty products

I do.

> and outsource their manufacturing,

I do.

> the American people for buying this crap,

I do.

> and the American politicians who support these practices.

And I do.

On a happier note, I spotted a genuine Ecko spatula, with the cream
colored Bakelite handle, clearly marked "Made in USA" in an antique shop
last week. I might go pick it up; it was only $10.

Best regards . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I had $160 to spend at Linens n' Things before they went out of
> business, so I picked up a couple more OXO spatulas. I really liked
> the ones I got 6-8 years ago, so I blindly picked up one wide and
> one regular sized spatulas (turners, not the scrapers).
>
> I went to take out my enchiladas with the new wide spatula and the
> thing just bent. It couldn't even hold the weight of one enchilada.
> WTF? I pulled out my old OXO spatula and compared the thickness of
> the plastic. The old ones are at least 3 times thicker than the
> ones I just bought.
>
> What a load of crap. OXO has gone the way of Ecko, Oneida, Black
> and Decker, Delonghi, T-Fal, and dozens of others: They all used to
> make good stuff, but now it's all crap. The stuff I've had in my
> kitchen for 20-40 years are probably the only things worthwhile
> I'll have left when I die.
>
> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.
>
> -sw

After maybe a half-dozen uses, an OXO garlic press I had broke under the
strain of crushing a single clove of garlic; as a result of this I'll
never buy another OXO product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:36:45 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:24:16 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
> > wrote:
>
>>Speaking of U.S made products, 3 weeks ago I bought a $4000 Murray ride-
>>on lawnmower (made in the U.S). And what a pile of crap it has been
>>But... I should eventually be able to replace, repair or modify the
>>shortcomings (basically all related to poor workmanship).

> Why would you repair such a new machine? Return it. Get your money
> back.

I may well do that.
I need to assess whether the mods are worth it or not...

In it's favour, the mower still does its intended job - for now.

The main issue is that returning it involves an 160KM round trip - and
that is the short-cut via some old logging roads over two mountain ranges.

The sealed road route is exactly twice the distance, so I rarely travel
that route unless I'm in my 'nice' car.

It ain't a smooth ride via the tracks and although I normally go to town
once a week, I usually need all the carrying space I can get - even
though its a Landcruiser ute. Basically its just a hassle to do so...

So *if* I can correct the main issues then I'd be better off with DIY.

Once you live in such a place, you'll quickly understand and learn that
if you actually want to get things *done* - you need to DIY or find a
local with the required skills

EG trying to get qualified plumbers, gas fitters and electricians is a
joke here, so most of this stuff gets done by non-qualified people out in
these parts. Its really the only way.

It gets real old real quick returning stuff, especially large stuff.

But be assured they will hear my displeasure.
If they (the shop) would come and get it, that would be great but I ain't
counting on that one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:49:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Do they still make OXO stock cubes? Thats the only product I'm
>> familiar with under that brand name.

> OXO makes the "Good Grips" line of kitchen utensils and equipment.
> Perhaps you recognize that trademark better than the brand name.
> They're in every store that sells kitchen stuff.

Ah, okay. I should add that I am in Tasmania, Australia - possibly they
don't sell their products here.

As you say, more likely its the trademark that I am familiar with.

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:08:19 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> George > wrote:
>
>> The problem is that we went from thinking about quality and value to
>> cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap when big boxes like Walmart appeared and
>> told us that is what we really wanted and all we should ever consider.

> Yep. The unwashed masses would rather buy and use something inferior
> for a year at 1/4 the price of something that could last them a
> lifetime. It's the 'ol buy now, pay later thinking.

"pay later" in more ways than one for many people (credit cards)...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:49:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>> Do they still make OXO stock cubes? Thats the only product I'm
>>> familiar with under that brand name.

>> OXO makes the "Good Grips" line of kitchen utensils and equipment.
>> Perhaps you recognize that trademark better than the brand name.
>> They're in every store that sells kitchen stuff.

> Ah, okay. I should add that I am in Tasmania, Australia - possibly they
> don't sell their products here.

Uh - yeah - that would have helped. Why even bring it up? I['m
sure you can't get 90% of the stuff we get here, at least easily.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit > wrote:

> After maybe a half-dozen uses, an OXO garlic press I had broke under the
> strain of crushing a single clove of garlic; as a result of this I'll
> never buy another OXO product.

I've broken every one of the garlic presses I've had, except for the
Zyliss [knock on wood]. Ironically, it's the cheapest looking POS
made out of cast aluminum you can find - but it works well - for
almost 5 years now.

I had two garlic presses that busted within 3 uses, including a
$35/one from Crate and Barrel and a $25 one from Williams Sonoma.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

<snip>

> What a load of crap. OXO has gone the way of Ecko, Oneida, Black
> and Decker, Delonghi, T-Fal, and dozens of others: They all used to
> make good stuff, but now it's all crap. The stuff I've had in my
> kitchen for 20-40 years are probably the only things worthwhile
> I'll have left when I die.
>
> I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.
>
> -sw

It's all made in China these days and not to the old specs. We dread
replacing some of our oldest kitchen items. The same-branded items just
aren't the same quality as the old bits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> In a way, it is the *consumer* who is responsible for this, because most
> buy on bottom price yet still expect quality. These companies have to
> listen and respond accordingly if they wish to remain competitive.

In a way, the manufacturers are lowering quality to remain
competitive int he first place. All manufacturers are doing this
nowadays, thanks to places like Walmart and the assholes that shop
there.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:36:11 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:
>I've broken every one of the garlic presses I've had, except for the
>Zyliss [knock on wood]. Ironically, it's the cheapest looking POS
>made out of cast aluminum you can find - but it works well - for
>almost 5 years now.

I have had my Zyliss for over 15 years now, and it is still going
strong. Granted, I probably don't use it all that often, but still...
I tend to use my mini food processor for garlic more than the garlic
press. However, the Zyliss is well built.

I think I first heard about if from either Jeff Smith, or one of the
SFBA food personalities. Either way, it has been a good purchase.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've broken every one of the garlic presses I've had, except for the
>Zyliss [knock on wood]. Ironically, it's the cheapest looking POS
>made out of cast aluminum you can find - but it works well - for
>almost 5 years now.

I just used it tonight, to crush the garlic and ginger for Hainanese
Chicken Rice. Man, that stuff is GOOD!!
http://www.saveur.com/article/food/H...e-Chicken-Rice

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:33:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Jeßus > wrote:

>>> OXO makes the "Good Grips" line of kitchen utensils and equipment.
>>> Perhaps you recognize that trademark better than the brand name.
>>> They're in every store that sells kitchen stuff.

>> Ah, okay. I should add that I am in Tasmania, Australia - possibly they
>> don't sell their products here.

> Uh - yeah - that would have helped. Why even bring it up? I['m sure
> you can't get 90% of the stuff we get here, at least easily.

Huh? OXO stock cubes are (or were) available in Oz for several decades,
at least. Hence my question.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:33:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Uh - yeah - that would have helped. Why even bring it up? I['m sure
>> you can't get 90% of the stuff we get here, at least easily.

> Huh? OXO stock cubes are (or were) available in Oz for several decades,
> at least. Hence my question.

But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company would
also make kitchen equipment?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:38:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> In a way, it is the *consumer* who is responsible for this, because
>> most buy on bottom price yet still expect quality. These companies have
>> to listen and respond accordingly if they wish to remain competitive.

> In a way, the manufacturers are lowering quality to remain competitive
> int he first place. All manufacturers are doing this nowadays, thanks
> to places like Walmart and the assholes that shop there.

I thought that was what I said

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:56:35 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:33:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Uh - yeah - that would have helped. Why even bring it up? I['m sure
>>> you can't get 90% of the stuff we get here, at least easily.

>> Huh? OXO stock cubes are (or were) available in Oz for several decades,
>> at least. Hence my question.

> But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company would
> also make kitchen equipment?

Why not? Other companies diversify in similar ways all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:20:59 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company would
>> also make kitchen equipment?

> Sure, it does. I once did a contract for the diversified Japanese
> company Mitsubishi, and I learned that a common saying in the company is
> "from noodles to rockets", because they make noodles and they also make
> rockets for the Japanese space program, as well as a mind-boggling array
> of in-between products.

Yes, Mitsubishi is a *perfect* example

Everything from cars to heavy machinery, white goods, computers, among
many other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:

> After maybe a half-dozen uses, an OXO garlic press I had broke
> under the strain of crushing a single clove of garlic; as a result
> of this I'll never buy another OXO product.

The rubber covering on the handle of my OXO
vegetable peeler lost its attachment to the
plastic main body a few years ago. I keep
using it, because I can still grip the plastic
core of the handle. And I don't whine about it,
nor blame the entire PRC for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company
>> would also make kitchen equipment?

> Sure, it does. I once did a contract for the diversified
> Japanese company Mitsubishi, and I learned that a common
> saying in the company is "from noodles to rockets", because
> they make noodles and they also make rockets for the
> Japanese space program, as well as a mind-boggling array
> of in-between products.

I worked for a similarly named company in Manhattan, and
Mitsubishi Bank was on a lower floor. I'd look across the
harbor and see Mitsubishi tankers hauling (who knows what)
and wonder if it was actually the same company. I don't even
know if they made cars back then.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company
> would also make kitchen equipment?

Sure, it does. I once did a contract for the diversified
Japanese company Mitsubishi, and I learned that a common
saying in the company is "from noodles to rockets", because
they make noodles and they also make rockets for the
Japanese space program, as well as a mind-boggling array
of in-between products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I went to take out my enchiladas with the new wide spatula and the
> thing just bent. It couldn't even hold the weight of one enchilada.
> WTF?
> -sw

Only thing I can suggest, Steve, is to hit the thrift shops or antique
shops for older and sturdier stuff.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:01:55 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I went to take out my enchiladas with the new wide spatula and the
>> thing just bent. It couldn't even hold the weight of one enchilada.
>> WTF?
>> -sw

>Only thing I can suggest, Steve, is to hit the thrift shops or antique
>shops for older and sturdier stuff.

I was just in an antique place today, where a lot of dealers sell. One
place in there had a ton of older stuff..some of which I recognize
from when I was growing up. Made me feel really nostalgic... and I
might go back to pick up some utensils. That was some great quality
stuff!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I had two garlic presses that busted within 3 uses, including a
> $35/one from Crate and Barrel and a $25 one from Williams Sonoma.

If you care to look at <http://i34.tinypic.com/161f0bq.jpg>, the POS
looking garlic press on the left was made in Italy and has been
continually used for 45 years. The one on the right was bought for me as
a Christmas present and has yet to be used until the apparently POS one
breaks. Notice the diameter of the pivot pin on both models.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:14:32 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:36:45 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:24:16 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Speaking of U.S made products, 3 weeks ago I bought a $4000 Murray ride-
>>>on lawnmower (made in the U.S). And what a pile of crap it has been
>>>But... I should eventually be able to replace, repair or modify the
>>>shortcomings (basically all related to poor workmanship).

>> Why would you repair such a new machine? Return it. Get your money
>> back.

>I may well do that.
>I need to assess whether the mods are worth it or not...
>
>In it's favour, the mower still does its intended job - for now.
>
>The main issue is that returning it involves an 160KM round trip - and
>that is the short-cut via some old logging roads over two mountain ranges.

That's why I'm not an isolationist.

>The sealed road route is exactly twice the distance, so I rarely travel
>that route unless I'm in my 'nice' car.

OK, I understand... but you should call and warn them that they sold
you a defective item. Get the ball rolling, there are time limits on
returns so it's best to let them know you have a lemon as soon as you
figure it out. You've already figured it out, so get cracking!

>It ain't a smooth ride via the tracks and although I normally go to town
>once a week, I usually need all the carrying space I can get - even
>though its a Landcruiser ute. Basically its just a hassle to do so...
>
>So *if* I can correct the main issues then I'd be better off with DIY.

Why on earth do you feel a need to mow grass when you're so isolated?
The Smiths and the Jones must be 20 miles away.

>Once you live in such a place, you'll quickly understand and learn that
>if you actually want to get things *done* - you need to DIY or find a
>local with the required skills

Yeah, my brother is that kind of guy. It's strictly DYI with him. I
shouldn't say "strictly", he knows his limits.

>EG trying to get qualified plumbers, gas fitters and electricians is a
>joke here, so most of this stuff gets done by non-qualified people out in
>these parts. Its really the only way.
>
>It gets real old real quick returning stuff, especially large stuff.

But it cost $4000! $4,000 is not spare change to most people and when
a new unit has a problem it's just a little indication of more to
come.

>But be assured they will hear my displeasure.
>If they (the shop) would come and get it, that would be great but I ain't
>counting on that one!

It'll be a cold day in (insert expletive)..... when they volunteer to
do that!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've broken every one of the garlic presses I've had, except for the
>Zyliss [knock on wood]. Ironically, it's the cheapest looking POS
>made out of cast aluminum you can find - but it works well - for
>almost 5 years now.
>
>I had two garlic presses that busted within 3 uses, including a
>$35/one from Crate and Barrel and a $25 one from Williams Sonoma.

Good God! One can only wonder what else you're trying to do with
them. Most likely trying to turn pebbles into sand.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > I had two garlic presses that busted within 3 uses, including a
> > $35/one from Crate and Barrel and a $25 one from Williams Sonoma.

Criminy, what you spend on garlic presses!

> If you care to look at <http://i34.tinypic.com/161f0bq.jpg>, the POS
> looking garlic press on the left was made in Italy and has been
> continually used for 45 years. The one on the right was bought for me
> as a Christmas present and has yet to be used until the apparently POS
> one breaks. Notice the diameter of the pivot pin on both models.

I have one like the one on the left, or at least
I think so. I haven't seen it in 10 or 15 years.
And haven't missed it a bit. Probably find it when
I pack up my stuff and move. It's probably on one
of the shelves of the kitchen cupboard that hasn't
been looked at in 10 or 15 years.

Getting out a flashlight and doing a quick check
of the most likely shelves didn't turn up the
lost garlic press, but I found the two replacement
heads for my Sonicare Elite toothbrush! One of
them begins service tonight. They haven't been
there for more than a year, but got misplaced
into the Twilight Zone, and nothing comes back
from there unless a search is mounted.

Another coincidence. I dragged out my Sunbeam
electric skillet today. It's been sitting
undisturbed on top of my closet for the last
10 years. I washed off the dust, and am preparing
to use it for a secret project tomorrow or the
next day. I don't know how old it is, but I
think mom had it before we moved to Europe in
1962.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I worked for a similarly named company in Manhattan, and
> Mitsubishi Bank was on a lower floor. I'd look across the
> harbor and see Mitsubishi tankers hauling (who knows what)
> and wonder if it was actually the same company. I don't
> even know if they made cars back then.

Sort of yes and no. Mitsubishi was one of the
zaibatsu that was broken up after World War 2.
But the various descendant companies retain
the Mitsubishi name and have interlocking
directorships and cooperative relationships,
these companies today comprising the Mitsubishi
keiretsu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:55:24 -0500, Sqwertz > wrote:

>I had $160 to spend at Linens n' Things before they went out of
>business, so I picked up a couple more OXO spatulas. I really liked
>the ones I got 6-8 years ago, so I blindly picked up one wide and
>one regular sized spatulas (turners, not the scrapers).
>
>I went to take out my enchiladas with the new wide spatula and the
>thing just bent. It couldn't even hold the weight of one enchilada.
>WTF? I pulled out my old OXO spatula and compared the thickness of
>the plastic. The old ones are at least 3 times thicker than the
>ones I just bought.
>
>What a load of crap. OXO has gone the way of Ecko, Oneida, Black
>and Decker, Delonghi, T-Fal, and dozens of others: They all used to
>make good stuff, but now it's all crap. The stuff I've had in my
>kitchen for 20-40 years are probably the only things worthwhile
>I'll have left when I die.
>
>I used to speak highly of OXO, but not any more.
>
>-sw

Check where they were made. I noticed the same sort of thing with my old and new West
Bend slow cookers. The old one - good quality lasted for over 15 years, made in
France. New one thinner metal crapy lid wearing out in less than a year - made in - -
- wait for it - - China.
surprise surprise surprise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> But does it make sense that a stock cube/buillion cube company
>>> would also make kitchen equipment?

>> Sure, it does. I once did a contract for the diversified
>> Japanese company Mitsubishi, and I learned that a common
>> saying in the company is "from noodles to rockets", because
>> they make noodles and they also make rockets for the
>> Japanese space program, as well as a mind-boggling array
>> of in-between products.

Find me a company that makes buillion(sp) cubes and spatulas - under
the same brand - and then we'll talk.

In the meantime, I'm going to have a Mitsubishi Cup-O-Noodles for
breakfast.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:38:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>> In a way, it is the *consumer* who is responsible for this, because
>>> most buy on bottom price yet still expect quality. These companies have
>>> to listen and respond accordingly if they wish to remain competitive.

>> In a way, the manufacturers are lowering quality to remain competitive
>> int he first place. All manufacturers are doing this nowadays, thanks
>> to places like Walmart and the assholes that shop there.

> I thought that was what I said

I thought you were implying that they need to make quality goods to
remain competitive.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:08:19 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> George > wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that we went from thinking about quality and value to
>>> cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap when big boxes like Walmart appeared and
>>> told us that is what we really wanted and all we should ever consider.

>> Yep. The unwashed masses would rather buy and use something inferior
>> for a year at 1/4 the price of something that could last them a
>> lifetime. It's the 'ol buy now, pay later thinking.

> "pay later" in more ways than one for many people (credit cards)...

Or, "gee, why did my employer close the factory where I worked..."

What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone?? Nancree General Cooking 25 27-09-2017 06:45 PM
Food Network going downhill? Ubiquitous General Cooking 190 30-04-2014 04:21 AM
Food Network going downhill? Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 0 08-05-2011 06:00 PM
Pure Cap Food Snob General Cooking 11 05-05-2007 11:59 AM
tio pepe sherry: gone downhill? [email protected] General 0 02-05-2005 07:23 AM