FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/163153-mundane-questions-fairly-sophisticated.html)

Lynn from Fargo 25-10-2008 07:30 PM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
my shortcuts (and shortcomings),

First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
tell you to just make it in a saucepan.

I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
and follow the original directions?

I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
Lynn in Fargo

George Shirley 25-10-2008 07:44 PM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

Never tried to make Rice a Roni but I nearly always cook my raw brown
rice in a little canola or olive oil before steaming it. Just cook it
enough that you can smell a slight nutty smell when you wave your hand
over the pot. Adds a lot of flavor to the rice. I'm sure you could do
the same thing to your rice and orzo. You then add spice/flavoring to
your own taste.

Janet 25-10-2008 08:22 PM

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

Yes, you can. I used to make something like that--much less healthy than
your version! <G>-- on camping trips, using rice, broken-up spaghetti,
canned super-chunky soup, and whatever else was on hand, such as bouillon
cubes, dried herbs, grated romano, some sauteed onions, and the like.

sf[_6_] 25-10-2008 09:09 PM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Can I just use
>regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
>and follow the original directions?

How does this look?
http://everydayculinaryadventures.bl...cat-night.html

Mae West

Mark Thorson 25-10-2008 11:24 PM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.

I've only had Rice A Roni twice, and was violently ill
both times. I don't what's in there that I react to,
and I don't know of any other food item which provokes
that reaction in me. The only other food I avoid because
of a peculiar reaction is bean protein, like tofu. Gives
me terrible headaches. It took over 30 years for me
to figure out what was causing those headaches.

Tara 26-10-2008 01:41 AM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

> Can I just use
>regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
>and follow the original directions?

Yes! Find an interesting recipe for rice pilaf, perloo, or pilau and
follow the basic format from there.

Tara

Arri London 26-10-2008 01:52 AM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

LOL. Yes, you can.
Have been making my own Rice-a-Roni-effect dish for years! The pasta
(fideo) and rice are browned first then the water and seasoning added
and cooked.

Lass Chance_2 26-10-2008 03:44 PM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraidto...

Lynn in Fargo...yeah, you do need to stop using the mixes...IF you're
counting sodium! Man...they PACK the salt in!

I bet you could make your own "rice-a-roni by breaking up thin
vermicelli into small bits, using a low sodium beef broth and whatever
herbs are listed on the box...?

Lass

[email protected] 26-10-2008 05:41 PM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
>to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
>arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
>my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
>First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
>skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
>oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
>tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
>I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
>waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
>regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
>and follow the original directions?
>
>I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
>Lynn in Fargo

For what it's worth, the couple of boxes of RaR I have on the shelf
still have those directions on them - brown rice/vermicelli mix in two
tablespoons butter or margarine. However, they do have a new line,
"Natures Way RIce A Roni" that skip that step and go straight to a
saucepan and use olive oil. Maybe that's the ones you've been looking
at in the market?

That said, I've always made straight pilaf using rice and broken bits
of thin spaghetti. Sautee the grains with some chopped onion in oil,
then add about two and a half cups chicken stock. Cover and simmer
until liquid is absorbed. This is actually faster and easier than
using a RaR box mix. Not to mention cheaper. But there are times when
certain family members insist on RaR. I think it's a comfort food sort
of thing.

Lynn from Fargo 27-10-2008 05:09 PM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid toAsk

Thanks to all of you! (No thanks to Google Groups for screwing this up
for days!)
Gonna do this sometimes this week
Lynn
PS: hanks to Barb for the email and her recipe too.

George Cebulka 27-10-2008 09:20 PM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

Lynn,
I heard the following about the roots of rice-a-roni on NPR a few
weeks ago.
The link is:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93067862

Cindy Fuller 28-10-2008 12:23 AM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?
>
> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
> Lynn in Fargo

Here's the way to do it: Crumble up vermicelli into rice-size chunks.
Heat olive oil in pan and saute vermicelli in it until it begins to
brown. Stir in the rice, then the broth or water. Simmer until the
rice is done. The proportion of vermicelli to rice to broth is 1:2:4
(i.e., 1/2 c. vermicelli, 1 c. rice, and 2 c. broth).

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Tracy[_2_] 28-10-2008 03:13 PM

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>
>> I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
>> to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
>> arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
>> my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>>
>> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
>> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
>> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
>> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>>
>> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
>> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
>> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
>> and follow the original directions?
>>
>> I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
>> Lynn in Fargo

> Here's the way to do it: Crumble up vermicelli into rice-size chunks.
> Heat olive oil in pan and saute vermicelli in it until it begins to
> brown. Stir in the rice, then the broth or water. Simmer until the
> rice is done. The proportion of vermicelli to rice to broth is 1:2:4
> (i.e., 1/2 c. vermicelli, 1 c. rice, and 2 c. broth).
>
> Cindy

You can buy short cut vermicelli at Middle Eastern stores. Luckily, I
live near a large Armenian/Lebanese community, so I have several to
choose from.

You can also buy it online.

http://parthenonfoods.com/sipa-noodl...lli-p-984.html

Just a thought.

-Tracy

Arri London 28-10-2008 11:56 PM

Tracy wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:

<snip>

> > Here's the way to do it: Crumble up vermicelli into rice-size chunks.
> > Heat olive oil in pan and saute vermicelli in it until it begins to
> > brown. Stir in the rice, then the broth or water. Simmer until the
> > rice is done. The proportion of vermicelli to rice to broth is 1:2:4
> > (i.e., 1/2 c. vermicelli, 1 c. rice, and 2 c. broth).
> >
> > Cindy
> >

> You can buy short cut vermicelli at Middle Eastern stores. Luckily, I
> live near a large Armenian/Lebanese community, so I have several to
> choose from.
>
> You can also buy it online.
>
> http://parthenonfoods.com/sipa-noodl...lli-p-984.html
>
> Just a thought.
>
> -Tracy

There are also Mexican brands of short vermicelli/fideo, one being
'Moderna' as well as a US brand 'Q and Q', imported from Texas :)

Lynn from Fargo 29-10-2008 12:23 AM

On Oct 27, 3:20*pm, George Cebulka > wrote:
> Lynn,
> * * I heard the following about the roots of rice-a-roni on NPR a few
> weeks ago.
> The link is:
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93067862

Thanks, George! I loved it and copied the recipe.
Lynn in Fargo

George Cebulka 29-10-2008 05:56 PM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Oct 27, 3:20 pm, George Cebulka > wrote:
>> Lynn,
>> I heard the following about the roots of rice-a-roni on NPR a few
>> weeks ago.
>> The link is:
>>
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93067862

> Thanks, George! I loved it and copied the recipe.
> Lynn in Fargo

Cool. Glad you enjoyed it. I made the the recipe last night, using orzo
instead of capellini and fresh instead of canned mushrooms. It turned
out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Simple to make and tasty to eat.
The nice thing is you can use the basic recipe and improvise the heck
out of it...:)

No Name 30-10-2008 01:40 AM

Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

I've been making my own "Rice-a-Roni"
using rice, orzo, onion, beef broth.

Problem is;
By the time the rice is cooked,
the orzo is ...mushy !

???

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:56:33 -0400, George Cebulka >

George[_11_] 31-10-2008 04:39 PM

<RJ> wrote:
> I've been making my own "Rice-a-Roni"
> using rice, orzo, onion, beef broth.
>
> Problem is;
> By the time the rice is cooked,
> the orzo is ...mushy !
>
> ???

try browning the orzo in a bit of oil or butter until is is golden brown..

Arri London 01-11-2008 04:02 AM

"" wrote:

> I've been making my own "Rice-a-Roni"
> using rice, orzo, onion, beef broth.
>
> Problem is;
> By the time the rice is cooked,
> the orzo is ...mushy !
>
> ???

Try it with fideo instead. Cooks faster than orzo.

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 01-11-2008 05:29 AM

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
> skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
> oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
> tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
> I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
> waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
> regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
> and follow the original directions?

I'm responding to a way old post, but using the directions on a Rice a
Roni box, using broken up vermicelli or even spaghetti with risotto rice
will give you the bulk. Use whatever flavorings, herbs, spices, or
vegetables you want in the water that the box says you ought to use
while you do what the box says you ought to do.
Bouillon cubes would work for flavoring, but they're mostly salt. So
would the packages from Ramen, but they're mostly salt. Be creative.
The box gives you a method. I've used it before in my wildly inaccurate
form of cooking. Let's see... Start with a half cup of rice and a half
cup of spaghetti bits and the same amount of water as on the box. Do
what the box says but substitute your flavoring for the packet without
increasing the water.
My version is good looking and insipid. Needs salt.

leo