Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow roasting a brisket?

Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.

I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
suggestions. ;-)

TIA!!!

Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
> moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
> slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
> herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
> to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
>
> I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
> several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
> suggestions. ;-)
>
> TIA!!!
>
> Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
> 7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.

It works great, but it might take longer than 8 hours to get tender. (I
usually cook frozen turkeys in my electric roaster, but I have done a
brisket)

You don't really need to thaw it, just add an hour or two.

--
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
> > moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
> > slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
> > herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
> > to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
> >
> > I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
> > several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
> > suggestions. ;-)
> >
> > TIA!!!
> >
> > Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
> > 7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.

> It works great, but it might take longer than 8 hours to get tender. (I
> usually cook frozen turkeys in my electric roaster, but I have done a
> brisket)
>
> You don't really need to thaw it, just add an hour or two.

Hm, ok. I'm thawing it as the herbages should "stick" better. ;-)
Hard to marinate a 12 lb. hunka dead cow.

Thanks for the input!

275 is the right temp?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Omelet wrote:
>>
>>>Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
>>>moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
>>>slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
>>>herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
>>>to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
>>>
>>>I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
>>>several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
>>>suggestions. ;-)
>>>
>>>TIA!!!
>>>
>>>Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
>>>7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.

>>It works great, but it might take longer than 8 hours to get tender. (I
>>usually cook frozen turkeys in my electric roaster, but I have done a
>>brisket)
>>
>>You don't really need to thaw it, just add an hour or two.

> Hm, ok. I'm thawing it as the herbages should "stick" better. ;-)
> Hard to marinate a 12 lb. hunka dead cow.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> 275 is the right temp?

I'd probably go with 250, and I don't know that I'd bother raising it up
with a rack. Simmering in the herby juices might give it a nice flavor
and help tenderize it, although I guess it would be braised rather than
roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:26:39 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
>several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
>suggestions. ;-)
>
>TIA!!!
>
>Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
>7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.

I hear ya.

Until this morning, I have been running on fumes. I finally got some
really good sleep late last night...after having a brutal schedule
this week... One very long day on Wednesday, with a mandatory class
in the afternoon, followed by going into work that evening..then
working another 12 hour shift the next night... And very little sleep
yesterday...

Anyway, I do have a suggestion, but I don't know if it will fit in
with what you have and want to do. It is from the legendary Kay
Hartman. This recipe (and Kay and Kay's aunt) was on the Food
Network program, Calling All Cooks.

The entire post:
Aunt Irene looks at a recipe when she makes her brisket. She doesn't
follow this recipe, she just looks at it. The recipe she gave to the
food network is the recipe she looks at, not the recipe she makes.
That's what they put on their web page. I am in contact with them
about this and hopefully they will change the page to reflect what
Aunt Irene does when she makes her brisket. In the meantime, here is
her real and true recipe.

Uncle Irving says that Aunt Irene uses the chile sauce that comes in
the little round bottle. He's not sure what the brand it is but he
says it's the most expensive one. Right.

I would take a tip from the way my mother makes brisket and chill the
brisket in the gravy. This will let the fat congeal. I would remove
the fat. When I removed the beef to slice (against the grain) I would
puree the liquid along with any vegetables (onion) that had not
completely disintegrated. I'm not sure it's important for the gravy
to be pureed while hot. If it is, it's not difficult to reheat it
before pureeing.

Put the sliced beef and gravy back into the roasting pan and cover
with foil to reheat.

Kay

Aunt Irene's Brisket

1 4-pound beef brisket
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup prepared chile sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 12-ounce bottle beer

Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. Place beef in a roasting pan.
Cover with onion. Combine ketchup, chile sauce, brown sugar, garlic,
and beer. Pour mixture over meat. Cover securely with foil. Bake at
300 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours. When the meat is tender, remove foil
and bake uncovered for an additional 35 to 40 minutes. Chill the
brisket separately from the gravy. Puree the gravy while hot.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> > Hm, ok. I'm thawing it as the herbages should "stick" better. ;-)
> > Hard to marinate a 12 lb. hunka dead cow.
> >
> > Thanks for the input!
> >
> > 275 is the right temp?

> I'd probably go with 250, and I don't know that I'd bother raising it up
> with a rack. Simmering in the herby juices might give it a nice flavor
> and help tenderize it, although I guess it would be braised rather than
> roasted.

Ok, lower temp noted.... but trust me, the rack is necessary. The fat
cap on an untrimmed brisket is over 1" thick in some spots. I want to
roast it, not deep fry it in beef grease. <g>

Thanks Kathleen!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >Om -> who is going to sleep shortly since she's been awake since around
> >7pm last night. I work night shifts. It's now noon:25 central time.

> I hear ya.
>
> Until this morning, I have been running on fumes. I finally got some
> really good sleep late last night...after having a brutal schedule
> this week... One very long day on Wednesday, with a mandatory class
> in the afternoon, followed by going into work that evening..then
> working another 12 hour shift the next night... And very little sleep
> yesterday...

<hugs> The last two days, dad kept turning the damned heat up! Between
that and the right sided IT band pain, I've had little sleep so I feel
ya. <g>

> Anyway, I do have a suggestion, but I don't know if it will fit in
> with what you have and want to do. It is from the legendary Kay
> Hartman. This recipe (and Kay and Kay's aunt) was on the Food
> Network program, Calling All Cooks.
>
> The entire post:
> Aunt Irene looks at a recipe when she makes her brisket. She doesn't
> follow this recipe, she just looks at it. The recipe she gave to the
> food network is the recipe she looks at, not the recipe she makes.
> That's what they put on their web page. I am in contact with them
> about this and hopefully they will change the page to reflect what
> Aunt Irene does when she makes her brisket. In the meantime, here is
> her real and true recipe.
>
> Uncle Irving says that Aunt Irene uses the chile sauce that comes in
> the little round bottle. He's not sure what the brand it is but he
> says it's the most expensive one. Right.
>

> I would take a tip from the way my mother makes brisket and chill the
> brisket in the gravy. This will let the fat congeal. I would remove
> the fat. When I removed the beef to slice (against the grain) I would
> puree the liquid along with any vegetables (onion) that had not
> completely disintegrated. I'm not sure it's important for the gravy
> to be pureed while hot. If it is, it's not difficult to reheat it
> before pureeing.
>

> Put the sliced beef and gravy back into the roasting pan and cover
> with foil to reheat.
>

> Kay
>

> Aunt Irene's Brisket
>

> 1 4-pound beef brisket
> Kosher salt
> Pepper
> 1 onion, thinly sliced into half moons
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1/2 cup prepared chile sauce

I have Pace and Tapatillo

> 3 tablespoons brown sugar
> 6 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 12-ounce bottle beer

Coors.

> Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. Place beef in a roasting pan.
> Cover with onion. Combine ketchup, chile sauce, brown sugar, garlic,
> and beer. Pour mixture over meat. Cover securely with foil. Bake at
> 300 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours. When the meat is tender, remove foil
> and bake uncovered for an additional 35 to 40 minutes. Chill the
> brisket separately from the gravy. Puree the gravy while hot.
>

> Christine

This is a 12 lb. roast, but I can adapt. <g>

Maybe I'll just let it thaw enough to divide then re-freeze some.
After all, I'm only cooking for 2 people, but I'd planned for this roast
to last ME the week. :-) Dad has a pan of calves foot jelly I finished
yesterday.

Thanks! That's some interesting stuff.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
> moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
> slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
> herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
> to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
>
> I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
> several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
> suggestions. ;-)
>
> TIA!!!

I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly slice
6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in a cast
iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last minute.

Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove from
roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then reassemble
in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:09:08 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:

>> Aunt Irene's Brisket

>> 1/2 cup prepared chile sauce

>I have Pace and Tapatillo

For this chile sauce, you actually need something like catsup....not
hot salsa type stuff. Chili sauce....LOL.

>Maybe I'll just let it thaw enough to divide then re-freeze some.
>After all, I'm only cooking for 2 people, but I'd planned for this roast
>to last ME the week. :-) Dad has a pan of calves foot jelly I finished
>yesterday.
>
>Thanks! That's some interesting stuff.

Maybe make this recipe with half the brisket?

I have made this before, and it was some good stuff!!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at the
> > moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
> > slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
> > herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
> > to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
> >
> > I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
> > several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
> > suggestions. ;-)
> >
> > TIA!!!

> I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly slice
> 6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in a cast
> iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last minute.

I like that but a 12lb. roast won't fit in a skillet. ;-D
The rest is a good idea tho'. I'll have to get more onions before I
start anyway. I'm down to one.

> Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
> paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
> pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove from
> roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then reassemble
> in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

Huh. Interesting idea slicing it before done.

Thanks.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:09:08 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >> Aunt Irene's Brisket

> >> 1/2 cup prepared chile sauce

> >I have Pace and Tapatillo

> For this chile sauce, you actually need something like catsup....not
> hot salsa type stuff. Chili sauce....LOL.

No sugar tho' Chris'. I'm low carbing.

> >Maybe I'll just let it thaw enough to divide then re-freeze some.
> >After all, I'm only cooking for 2 people, but I'd planned for this roast
> >to last ME the week. :-) Dad has a pan of calves foot jelly I finished
> >yesterday.
> >
> >Thanks! That's some interesting stuff.

> Maybe make this recipe with half the brisket?
>
> I have made this before, and it was some good stuff!!!!
>
> Christine

Indeed. :-)

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote:

> I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly
> slice 6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in a
> cast iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last
> minute.
>
> Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
> paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
> pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove
> from roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then
> reassemble in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I've never bought a brisket, but now I
want to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote:
> >
> > I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly
> > slice 6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in

> > cast iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last
> > minute.
> >
> > Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
> > paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
> > pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove
> > from roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then
> > reassemble in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

> This sounds absolutely wonderful. I've never bought a brisket, but now I
> want to.

Guess we'll have to hold a wake for the poor briskct...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > Please don't suggest I smoke/bbq it, that's not what I want to do at
>> > the
>> > moment. I have a 12 lb. brisket out thawing right now, plans are to
>> > slow roast it in the table top roaster at 275 for 8 hours with a few
>> > herbals/spices and the fat cap to the top on some raised grill thingies
>> > to keep it up out of the grease on the floor of the roaster.
>> >
>> > I've never done this before and it's got to thaw for at least another
>> > several hours before it's ready to start so there is still room for
>> > suggestions. ;-)
>> >
>> > TIA!!!

>> I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly
>> slice
>> 6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in a cast
>> iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last minute.

> I like that but a 12lb. roast won't fit in a skillet. ;-D

I didn't mean to put the brisket in the skillet, although according to the
original recipe you ARE supposed to sear/brown it on all sides. <G> I
started using the brown the onions in the skillet and transfer them to the
roasting pans method when i started cooking 5 or 6 briskets at once for our
church's seder.

> The rest is a good idea tho'. I'll have to get more onions before I
> start anyway. I'm down to one.
>

>> Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
>> paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
>> pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove
>> from
>> roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then
>> reassemble
>> in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

> Huh. Interesting idea slicing it before done.
>
> Thanks.

The original recipe is "Nach Waxman's Brisket" from one of the Silver Palate
books (either the original, or The New Basics). It is the BEST brisket
recipe ever; although amazingly simple, the flavor and texture is tops. And
the slicing, reassembling, and rebaking makes a huge difference. Last year,
I reluctantly farmed out the seder brisket to someone who, sure enough,
managed to omit that step. It was tough, tough, tough. We did some last
minute slicing and baking, but it wasn't as good as usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>
>> > Hm, ok. I'm thawing it as the herbages should "stick" better. ;-)
>> > Hard to marinate a 12 lb. hunka dead cow.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the input!
>> >
>> > 275 is the right temp?

>> I'd probably go with 250, and I don't know that I'd bother raising it up
>> with a rack. Simmering in the herby juices might give it a nice flavor
>> and help tenderize it, although I guess it would be braised rather than
>> roasted.

> Ok, lower temp noted.... but trust me, the rack is necessary. The fat
> cap on an untrimmed brisket is over 1" thick in some spots. I want to
> roast it, not deep fry it in beef grease. <g>
>
> Thanks Kathleen!
> --
> Peace! Om

But you need the brisket to BRAISE in the small amount of liquid thrown off
by it and the vegetables. A rack will defeat this.

A better idea is to trim off most of the fat cap. It is not necessary for
tender, delicious brisket that has been braised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> But you need the brisket to BRAISE in the small amount of liquid thrown
> off by it and the vegetables. A rack will defeat this.
>
> A better idea is to trim off most of the fat cap. It is not necessary for
> tender, delicious brisket that has been braised.

It can be done either way. I make brisket in the smoker, as do tens of
thousands of barbeque enthusiasts and we place it on a rack. The trick to
tenderness is breaking down the collage, an action that takes place at about
160 degrees. The connective tissue is what makes the meat tough and heat
turns it to liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> But you need the brisket to BRAISE in the small amount of liquid thrown
>> off by it and the vegetables. A rack will defeat this.
>>
>> A better idea is to trim off most of the fat cap. It is not necessary for
>> tender, delicious brisket that has been braised.
>>

> It can be done either way. I make brisket in the smoker, as do tens of
> thousands of barbeque enthusiasts and we place it on a rack. The trick to
> tenderness is breaking down the collage, an action that takes place at
> about 160 degrees. The connective tissue is what makes the meat tough and
> heat turns it to liquid.

If I were cooking it in a smoker, I would not cut off the fat cap either.
But the OP specifically said that she was NOT going to smoke or barbecue it.

The entire fat cap isn't necessary for braising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> It works great, but it might take longer than 8 hours to get tender. (I
> usually cook frozen turkeys in my electric roaster, but I have done a
> brisket)

It'll probably be done in 6 hours. when cooked in a roaster or oven
(tented).

It'll be done at 185-195F. And you'll get lost of au jus in a
roaster.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> If I were cooking it in a smoker, I would not cut off the fat cap either.
> But the OP specifically said that she was NOT going to smoke or barbecue
> it.
>
> The entire fat cap isn't necessary for braising.

I stand by my statement

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> If I were cooking it in a smoker, I would not cut off the fat cap either.
>> But the OP specifically said that she was NOT going to smoke or barbecue
>> it.
>>
>> The entire fat cap isn't necessary for braising.
>>

> I stand by my statement

Huh? Please do. I don't see that anyone was challenging your knowledge of
barbecue or smoking or anything else, for that matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> >> I'd add some things from may favorite brisket recipe: peel and thickly
> >> slice
> >> 6 or more onions, cook over fairly high heat until well browned in a cast
> >> iron skillet, throw in a few sliced cloves of garlic at the last minute.

> > I like that but a 12lb. roast won't fit in a skillet. ;-D

> I didn't mean to put the brisket in the skillet, although according to the
> original recipe you ARE supposed to sear/brown it on all sides. <G> I
> started using the brown the onions in the skillet and transfer them to the
> roasting pans method when i started cooking 5 or 6 briskets at once for our
> church's seder.

I'm wondering... (it's nearly thawed now so I can start it in a bit), if
I heat up the roaster first, I might be able to brown it in the bottom
of that. It's a HUGE roaster, the largest I've seen made and I've
gotten good sizzles out of it in the past if I pre-heat it.

> > The rest is a good idea tho'. I'll have to get more onions before I
> > start anyway. I'm down to one.
> >

> >> Put the above in the bottom of the pan with a couple of scraped carrots,
> >> paint the top of the brisket with tomato paste and grind a lot of black
> >> pepper over all. When the brisket is cooked but not yet tender, remove
> >> from
> >> roaster and slice on the diagonal about 1/4-1/3 inch thick, then
> >> reassemble
> >> in roaster and continue cooking until tender.

> > Huh. Interesting idea slicing it before done.
> >
> > Thanks.

> The original recipe is "Nach Waxman's Brisket" from one of the Silver Palate
> books (either the original, or The New Basics). It is the BEST brisket
> recipe ever; although amazingly simple, the flavor and texture is tops. And
> the slicing, reassembling, and rebaking makes a huge difference. Last year,
> I reluctantly farmed out the seder brisket to someone who, sure enough,
> managed to omit that step. It was tough, tough, tough. We did some last
> minute slicing and baking, but it wasn't as good as usual.

There is an art to cooking tough cuts. Takes patience. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> I'd probably go with 250, and I don't know that I'd bother raising it up
> >> with a rack. Simmering in the herby juices might give it a nice flavor
> >> and help tenderize it, although I guess it would be braised rather than
> >> roasted.

> > Ok, lower temp noted.... but trust me, the rack is necessary. The fat
> > cap on an untrimmed brisket is over 1" thick in some spots. I want to
> > roast it, not deep fry it in beef grease. <g>
> >
> > Thanks Kathleen!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> But you need the brisket to BRAISE in the small amount of liquid thrown off
> by it and the vegetables. A rack will defeat this.
>
> A better idea is to trim off most of the fat cap. It is not necessary for
> tender, delicious brisket that has been braised.

Ok, that's a thought... It's just that the table top roaster with a lid
cooks a LOT moister roasts than an oven. It also cooks faster. I've
accidently over-cooked chickens in it and literally had them fall apart.
Did not ruin them but was just not what I was after. <g>

Roasting a turkey in them is the best darned turkey breast meat I've
ever had turn out.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > But you need the brisket to BRAISE in the small amount of liquid thrown
> > off by it and the vegetables. A rack will defeat this.
> >
> > A better idea is to trim off most of the fat cap. It is not necessary for
> > tender, delicious brisket that has been braised.
> >

> It can be done either way. I make brisket in the smoker, as do tens of
> thousands of barbeque enthusiasts and we place it on a rack. The trick to
> tenderness is breaking down the collage, an action that takes place at about
> 160 degrees. The connective tissue is what makes the meat tough and heat
> turns it to liquid.

So what roaster temp would you recommend? I'm just not in to BBQ today.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > It works great, but it might take longer than 8 hours to get tender. (I
> > usually cook frozen turkeys in my electric roaster, but I have done a
> > brisket)

> It'll probably be done in 6 hours. when cooked in a roaster or oven
> (tented).
>
> It'll be done at 185-195F. And you'll get lost of au jus in a
> roaster.
>
> -sw

Thanks Steve! I was not sure how long to roast it. The table top
roasters DO cook stuff a lot faster.

I'll drain off the juice and refrigerate it for defatting, then make
gravy.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> So what roaster temp would you recommend? I'm just not in to BBQ today.

275F (or even 300F) is fine.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > So what roaster temp would you recommend? I'm just not in to BBQ today.

> 275F (or even 300F) is fine.
>
> -sw

Thanks babe!