Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For TammyM- copycat recipe

Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
recipe for PopTarts;
3/4 cup shortening
3/4/cup sugar
3 eggs
3 3/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup fruit preserves
Frosting;
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBLS milk

In mixer or food processor, cream shortening & sugar together well,
then add eggs, one at a time. Sift together the flour & baking powder,
and stir into shortening mixture- chill 1 hour
Preheat oven to 350- Turn dough onto floured surface and roll into 12
rectangles, 8"x12". Spread 1 TBLS preserves over half of each
rectangle, staying well within the edge of the pastry. Fold dough over
preserves and trim edges with pastry cutter or crimp with fork to seal
edges. Place on greased cookie sheets and bake 20 min. Let cool before
icing. To make icing, mix powdered sugar, vanilla & milk- drizzle over
pastries. When I made these, I just used a 3"round cookie cutter- much
easier than their method!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
> recipe for PopTarts;
> 3/4 cup shortening
> 3/4/cup sugar
> 3 eggs
> 3 3/4 cups flour
> 3 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 cup fruit preserves
> Frosting;
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 1/2 tsp vanilla
> 2 TBLS milk
>
> In mixer or food processor, cream shortening & sugar together well,
> then add eggs, one at a time. Sift together the flour & baking powder,
> and stir into shortening mixture- chill 1 hour
> Preheat oven to 350- Turn dough onto floured surface and roll into 12
> rectangles, 8"x12". Spread 1 TBLS preserves over half of each
> rectangle, staying well within the edge of the pastry. Fold dough over
> preserves and trim edges with pastry cutter or crimp with fork to seal
> edges. Place on greased cookie sheets and bake 20 min. Let cool before
> icing. To make icing, mix powdered sugar, vanilla & milk- drizzle over
> pastries. When I made these, I just used a 3"round cookie cutter- much
> easier than their method!

THANK YOU!!!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
> recipe for PopTarts;
> 3/4 cup shortening
> 3/4/cup sugar
> 3 eggs
> 3 3/4 cups flour
> 3 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 cup fruit preserves
> Frosting;
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 1/2 tsp vanilla
> 2 TBLS milk

(snippage)

Seems like a hell of a lot of work to copy Pop Tarts! Granted, it doesn't
contain all those things no one can pronounce so I suppose that's a bonus if
you like that sort of thing for breakfast

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 12:37*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
> > like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
> > recipe for PopTarts;
> > 3/4 cup shortening
> > 3/4/cup sugar
> > 3 eggs
> > 3 3/4 cups flour
> > 3 tsp baking powder
> > 1/2 cup fruit preserves
> > Frosting;
> > 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> > 1/2 tsp vanilla
> > 2 TBLS milk

> (snippage)
>
> Seems like a hell of a lot of work to copy Pop Tarts! *Granted, it doesn't
> contain all those things no one can pronounce so I suppose that's a bonus if
> you like that sort of thing for breakfast
>
> Jill

That's why I used a cookie cutter! Not my first choice of a new recipe
to try, but I used home made preserves, so I suppose that helped a
little- it was mostly for the 11 year old. Give him a pop tart and a
can of Chef Boyardee raviolis and he's in heaven!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Oct 23, 12:37 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> merryb wrote:
>>> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
>>> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
>>> recipe for PopTarts;
>>> 3/4 cup shortening
>>> 3/4/cup sugar
>>> 3 eggs
>>> 3 3/4 cups flour
>>> 3 tsp baking powder
>>> 1/2 cup fruit preserves
>>> Frosting;
>>> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>>> 1/2 tsp vanilla
>>> 2 TBLS milk

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Seems like a hell of a lot of work to copy Pop Tarts! Granted, it
>> doesn't contain all those things no one can pronounce so I suppose
>> that's a bonus if you like that sort of thing for breakfast
>>
>> Jill

> That's why I used a cookie cutter! Not my first choice of a new recipe
> to try, but I used home made preserves, so I suppose that helped a
> little- it was mostly for the 11 year old. Give him a pop tart and a
> can of Chef Boyardee raviolis and he's in heaven!!

Heh, I resemble those days... in the 1960's LOL No way would my mother have
gone out of her way to replicate Pop Tarts (or make preserves). Kudos

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:27:15 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
>> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
>> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
>> recipe for PopTarts;

>THANK YOU!!!
>
>TammyM

I didn't see the original post, but Pim, of Chez Pim has developed her
own version of pop tarts. I think I would like hers better.

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/08...-make-you.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
> recipe for PopTarts;

That's the same recipe from the copycat book I've posted he

http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/home

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> merryb wrote:
>> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
>> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
>> recipe for PopTarts;
>> 3/4 cup shortening
>> 3/4/cup sugar
>> 3 eggs
>> 3 3/4 cups flour
>> 3 tsp baking powder
>> 1/2 cup fruit preserves
>> Frosting;
>> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>> 1/2 tsp vanilla
>> 2 TBLS milk
>>

> (snippage)
>
> Seems like a hell of a lot of work to copy Pop Tarts! Granted, it doesn't
> contain all those things no one can pronounce so I suppose that's a bonus
> if you like that sort of thing for breakfast

For me, Pop Tarts are pure nostalgia. My folks never would have given us
such trashy stuff, but given that we spent so much time with our
grandparents who spoiled us rotten (and didn't have to pay our dental
bills), pop tarts (and "Danish go-rounds") were normal fare on the weekends.
I'd like to give MerryB's recipe a go - I'll likely take them to work, and
give them to the folks there - I don't need the extra calories!!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> merryb wrote:
>>> Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
>>> like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
>>> recipe for PopTarts;
>>> 3/4 cup shortening
>>> 3/4/cup sugar
>>> 3 eggs
>>> 3 3/4 cups flour
>>> 3 tsp baking powder
>>> 1/2 cup fruit preserves
>>> Frosting;
>>> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>>> 1/2 tsp vanilla
>>> 2 TBLS milk
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Seems like a hell of a lot of work to copy Pop Tarts! Granted, it
>> doesn't contain all those things no one can pronounce so I suppose
>> that's a bonus if you like that sort of thing for breakfast

> For me, Pop Tarts are pure nostalgia. My folks never would have
> given us such trashy stuff, but given that we spent so much time with
> our grandparents who spoiled us rotten (and didn't have to pay our
> dental bills), pop tarts (and "Danish go-rounds") were normal fare on
> the weekends. I'd like to give MerryB's recipe a go - I'll likely
> take them to work, and give them to the folks there - I don't need
> the extra calories!!
> TammyM

Heh, you remember the Danish Go Rounds, too? They had more filling!
Neither one was bad until they until they started putting frosting on all of
them. It's no wonder kids are bouncing off the walls.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 4:42*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> merryb > wrote:
> > Tried to post the whole cookbook, but can't seem to do it- if you'd
> > like to email me, I'll gladly send it to you! Here is the copycat
> > recipe for PopTarts;

> That's the same recipe from the copycat book I've posted he
>
> http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/home
>
> -sw

Yes- that's the same exact one! There are a few recipes in there that
actually sound really good...