Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with dehydrated bell pepper?

I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-10-21, James > wrote:
> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

Absolutely not! While I have little to no use for dehydrated anything, it's
infinitely better than frozen. Freezing a fresh chile makes the individual
cells rupture and turn to mush. At the restaurant I worked at, for a short
time, red b/p's and hatch chiles that even had frozen patches on them were
tossed out as being unacceptable.

I know that this is acceptable in some cuisines. My Mexican step-mother
does it all the time. I've also had killer Ital sphegetti sauce that was
awesome after freezing. It's a personal thing and I belive it depends on
how the chiles are to be used. A good question for discussion.y

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. �Takes 2 days a batch. �My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? � Should I freeze them instead?

How many peppers you talking... excess bell peppers is like excess
beer.

There are plenty of recipes that use a lot of bell peppers (stuffed)
that freeze well. Dehy peppers are fine, I use them myself... they
come in very handy when you only need a litte or you just ran out,
they're very convenient for soups/stews... I buy mine from Penzeys.
But I would never dehydrate bell peppers, especially if all you can do
is a small batch every two days, you'll spend more for electric than
to buy them already dehydrated. Why don't you just dice and freeze
them as is, or saute and freeze, or use in a recipe and freeze that.
The red ones are good roasted, they're nice in a sandwich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

Use them in soups and stews. Freezing them raw will make them mushy, but
that's not bad in soups or stews either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 5:05*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> James wrote:
> > I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> > dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> > dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

> How many peppers you talking... excess bell peppers is like excess
> beer.
>
> There are plenty of recipes that use a lot of bell peppers (stuffed)
> that freeze well. *Dehy peppers are fine, I use them myself... they
> come in very handy when you only need a litte or you just ran out,
> they're very convenient for soups/stews... I buy mine from Penzeys.
> But I would never dehydrate bell peppers, especially if all you can do
> is a small batch every two days, you'll spend more for electric than
> to buy them already dehydrated. *Why don't you just dice and freeze
> them as is, or saute and freeze, or use in a recipe and freeze that.
> The red ones are good roasted, they're nice in a sandwich

Had a dozen more but 5 got moldy so I just put the rest of them in the
dehydrater. It turned out that the dried bell peppers turned out
quite sweet so I can eat them like candy. It's good because raw bell
peppers don't agree with me. Hope I don't have trouble with the
dehydrated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 8:48�pm, Arri London > wrote:
> James wrote:
>
> > I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> > dehydrater to dry them. �Takes 2 days a batch. �My question is what
> > dishes uses dried bell pepper? � Should I freeze them instead?

> Use them in soups and stews. Freezing them raw will make them mushy, but
> that's not bad in soups or stews either.

Right, doesn't matter... because rehydrated dehys are soft and mushy
too. But commercially dehydrated peppers are far more flavorful than
from those toys r us home style dehydrators. So I think it's better
to use exta peppers in recipes and freeze the result, then if you want
dehy peppers buy from a commercial source.

I grow a lot of peppers, hot and bell. I give away a lot of the hot
peppers but I use all the bells... seems I'm constantly sauteing
peppers, with all kinds of other veggies; onions, celery, potatoes,
eggplant, garlic of course, zukes, whatever there is... could add saw-
seege, make into a primavera for pasta/rice. or simply a scrumptious
omelet. I would never consider dehydrating my peppers. A grilled
pepper on one of my freshly ground rare burgers is better than sex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

Try it in Spanish rice, or Swiss steak, or meatloaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them

instead?

Never even thought of drying bell peppers, only tried
it with tomatoes...which i love....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 23 Oct 2008 09:23:31a, SebNoker told us...

> > GUEST wrote:
> > I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> > dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> > dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them

> instead?
>
> Never even thought of drying bell peppers, only tried
> it with tomatoes...which i love....

The dried are good in soups and stews.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 10(X)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
2wks 4dys 13hrs 58mins
'If at first you do succeed, try not
to look astonished.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 4:00 pm, James > wrote:
> I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> dehydrater to dry them. Takes 2 days a batch. My question is what
> dishes uses dried bell pepper? Should I freeze them instead?

I'd just slice, freeze and dump into a gumbo some day. I couldn't be
bothered waiting two days for the dehy to work - just my opinion. I
wudn't trust that thing to be on 48 hrs. straight.