FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) " (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/162790-dry-sherry-versus-cooking.html)

amandaF 16-10-2008 12:19 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
(Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Sky 16-10-2008 12:23 AM

amandaF wrote:

> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Er, I don't think they're the same. There's that addage about not
cooking with stuff one wouldn't drink. If it can't be drunk, then
perhaps it should be chucked? Stick with a good drinking wine, and the
dish will be fine.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Dimitri 16-10-2008 12:35 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Cooking wine is SALTED.

Do not use.

Dimitri

Dave Bell 16-10-2008 12:42 AM

Sky wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
>> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
>> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

> Er, I don't think they're the same. There's that addage about not
> cooking with stuff one wouldn't drink. If it can't be drunk, then
> perhaps it should be chucked? Stick with a good drinking wine, and the
> dish will be fine.
>
> Sky

Also, the "cooking wines" are often salted.
Perhaps to make them less palatable for abuse, but still usable for
cooking (if you re3duce salt in the rest of the recipe.)

jmcquown[_2_] 16-10-2008 01:23 AM

amandaF wrote:
> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Aieee! Cooking wine is dregs from the bottom of a barrel of wine no one
would drink with lots of salt added. Do not cook with (or drink!) "cooking
wine". The rule is very basic: don't cook with wine you wouldn't drink.
Sherry isn't the same as some generic "cooking wine", either. If you don't
drink wine, fine. You don't have to drink wine to cook with it. But ask
someone at the store about an inexpensive wine that isn't "cooking wine";
drinkable wine. They'll recommend something that isn't "cooking wine".

Jill

aem 16-10-2008 02:22 AM

On Oct 15, 4:19*pm, amandaF > wrote:
> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Okay, I'm done with you. I've given you the benefit of the doubt
through a lot of completely ignorant posts. There's nothing wrong
with ignorance, it just means somebody hasn't learned someething yet.
But your record of posts from a standpoint of "there's nothing too
obvious for me to pretend to ask about" has ultimately worn too thin.
No one who is interested enough in food to read this group could be
ignorant of the full range of things you have pretended ignorance
about. Give it up. Or make up another name. -aem

sf[_6_] 16-10-2008 05:25 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF
> wrote:

>What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
>(Sherry)"?

Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.

>Are they the same?

No.

Mae West

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] 16-10-2008 05:34 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:25:53p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
>>(Sherry)"?

> Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.
>
>>Are they the same?

> No.

Cooking sherry is vile. One taste would convince you. :-) Barbara's
right. Buy an inexpensive drinking sherry to cook with.

Personally, I prefer substituting Sercial Madeira for sherry in most
recipes. It's a rather dry madeira and perfect for cooking. For sipping,
I prefer a Malmsey Madeira. It is sweeter and has a rather complex flavor.

This substitution is strictly a matter of personal taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 5dys 2hrs 32mins
#1 BORG Hit Parade: We all sleep in a
single subroutine

Omelet[_7_] 16-10-2008 05:32 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

In article
amandaF > wrote:

> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

No.

I've seen it stated more than one:

"Never cook with something you are not willing to drink from a glass".

Trust me. You don't want to drink "cooking sherry" as a beverage.
There is not, and never will be, any in my pantry.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Omelet[_7_] 16-10-2008 05:34 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:25:53p, sf told us...
>
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> >>(Sherry)"?

> > Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.
> >
> >>Are they the same?

> > No.

> Cooking sherry is vile. One taste would convince you. :-) Barbara's
> right. Buy an inexpensive drinking sherry to cook with.
>
> Personally, I prefer substituting Sercial Madeira for sherry in most
> recipes. It's a rather dry madeira and perfect for cooking. For sipping,
> I prefer a Malmsey Madeira. It is sweeter and has a rather complex flavor.
>
> This substitution is strictly a matter of personal taste.

I've not tried Madeira for cooking.
What recipes do you routinely use it in? I mostly use dryer red or
white wines, or port for dessert dishes.

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] 16-10-2008 06:38 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

On Thu 16 Oct 2008 09:34:47a, Omelet told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:25:53p, sf told us...
>>
>> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF

>> > Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.

>> > No.

>> Cooking sherry is vile. One taste would convince you. :-) Barbara's
>> right. Buy an inexpensive drinking sherry to cook with.
>>
>> Personally, I prefer substituting Sercial Madeira for sherry in most
>> recipes. It's a rather dry madeira and perfect for cooking. For
>> sipping, I prefer a Malmsey Madeira. It is sweeter and has a rather
>> complex flavor.
>>
>> This substitution is strictly a matter of personal taste.

> I've not tried Madeira for cooking.
> What recipes do you routinely use it in? I mostly use dryer red or
> white wines, or port for dessert dishes.

Generally, I use it in recipe that calls for sherry, but Maderia specific
dishes include those with chicken, pork, or beef. Chicken in a Madeira
sauce that includes citrus rind and raisins, pork medallions with a Madeira
and butter sauce, filet mignon with a mushroom and Madeira sauce. There
are many possibiliites.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 10(X)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 4dys 13hrs 26mins
It's a damned poor mind that can only
think of one way to spell a word.

Lass Chance_2 16-10-2008 06:57 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

Always use The Real Thing, NEVER any "cooking wine". They put tons of
salt in it.

Sherry wine vinager is mighty tasty, too.

LassChance

Cheryl[_5_] 17-10-2008 12:56 AM

"aem" > wrote in message

Okay, I'm done with you. I've given you the benefit of the doubt
through a lot of completely ignorant posts. There's nothing wrong
with ignorance, it just means somebody hasn't learned someething yet.
But your record of posts from a standpoint of "there's nothing too
obvious for me to pretend to ask about" has ultimately worn too thin.
No one who is interested enough in food to read this group could be
ignorant of the full range of things you have pretended ignorance
about. Give it up. Or make up another name. -aem

There's someone on another group I read who does the same thing, except they
crosspost their silly questions. And, they *do* change their name, but the
questions are all basically the same, and easy to pick out that it's the
same person. (the groups they crosspost to are always the same).

amandaF 17-10-2008 02:37 AM

On Oct 15, 6:22 pm, aem > wrote:
> On Oct 15, 4:19 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>
> > What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> > (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

> Okay, I'm done with you. I've given you the benefit of the doubt
> through a lot of completely ignorant posts. There's nothing wrong
> with ignorance, it just means somebody hasn't learned someething yet.
> But your record of posts from a standpoint of "there's nothing too
> obvious for me to pretend to ask about" has ultimately worn too thin.
> No one who is interested enough in food to read this group could be
> ignorant of the full range of things you have pretended ignorance
> about. Give it up. Or make up another name. -aem

Waht? Obviously, you have no fxxx'n clue that I grew up having nothing
to dow ith kitchen work, then came to US for grad studies during which
I learned to make 3or 4 dishes to live on - beef curry, spaghetti
(buying the sauce), stir-fry noodle (no recipe; my own creation) and
so actually, it's only 3. Half the time I ate out or bought food (like
pizza and fried chicken; I was young and could handle the grease.
Then, when I moved to a new city, I met some people from my country
and learned some cooking idea. At this time, I also went to Indian
grocery stores to learn about the spices (literally learning like
school work) and Asian grocery stores. Then, I stared another grad
program and so I couldn't really try all that cooking idea I learned
and I forgot them all. Then I graduated and moved to this city in CA,
and was exposed to a lot of things - I learned about the best brand of
fish sauce fro m this news group despite being form SE Asia - and so
I know some names but as far as cooking skills, first of all, there is
just one person in my household. Secondly, I need HIGH protein diet.
Third, it's a waste of time to try cooking different dish when one
has to live on high protein diet and with age, does not feel well
eating certain things I used to eat. So, go ahead. Judge others by
yourself. Nothing new.

And bye bye.

amandaF 17-10-2008 02:39 AM

On Oct 16, 9:32 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> amandaF > wrote:
> > What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> > (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

> No.
>
> I've seen it stated more than one:
>
> "Never cook with something you are not willing to drink from a glass".

I don't know anything about alcohol: Beer, wine, etc. because I stay
away from alcohol. No smoking, no pot, no weed, no any drug either.
My brain has never been abused by any drug.

amandaF 17-10-2008 02:40 AM

On Oct 16, 9:34 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

> > On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:25:53p, sf told us...

> > > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF

> > > Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.

> > > No.

> > Cooking sherry is vile. One taste would convince you. :-) Barbara's
> > right. Buy an inexpensive drinking sherry to cook with.

> > Personally, I prefer substituting Sercial Madeira for sherry in most
> > recipes. It's a rather dry madeira and perfect for cooking. For sipping,
> > I prefer a Malmsey Madeira. It is sweeter and has a rather complex flavor.

> > This substitution is strictly a matter of personal taste.

> I've not tried Madeira for cooking.
> What recipes do you routinely use it in? I mostly use dryer red or
> white wines, or port for dessert dishes.

I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese
restaurant used it in their cooking.

amandaF 17-10-2008 02:42 AM

On Oct 16, 4:56 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message

> Okay, I'm done with you. I've given you the benefit of the doubt
> through a lot of completely ignorant posts. There's nothing wrong
> with ignorance, it just means somebody hasn't learned someething yet.
> But your record of posts from a standpoint of "there's nothing too
> obvious for me to pretend to ask about" has ultimately worn too thin.
> No one who is interested enough in food to read this group could be
> ignorant of the full range of things you have pretended ignorance
> about. Give it up. Or make up another name. -aem

Some people are so retarded that they assumed that every one grew up
like them with the culture of alcohol and substance abuse.

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] 17-10-2008 02:49 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

On Thu 16 Oct 2008 06:40:50p, amandaF told us...

> I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
> for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese
> restaurant used it in their cooking.

Hmm... I didn't know that. I have seen sherry listed in Chinese recipes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 10(X)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 4dys 5hrs 11mins
Civilization is defined by the
presence of cats.

Omelet[_7_] 17-10-2008 02:57 AM

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > I've not tried Madeira for cooking.
> > What recipes do you routinely use it in? I mostly use dryer red or
> > white wines, or port for dessert dishes.

> Generally, I use it in recipe that calls for sherry, but Maderia specific
> dishes include those with chicken, pork, or beef. Chicken in a Madeira
> sauce that includes citrus rind and raisins, pork medallions with a Madeira
> and butter sauce, filet mignon with a mushroom and Madeira sauce. There
> are many possibiliites.

That sounds good, thanks! :-)
I don't cook meat with fruit as often as I should. I DO like it.

My tropical chicken recipe is a perfect example, but I've never tried
adding wine to that.

Omelet[_7_] 17-10-2008 03:02 AM

amandaF > wrote:

> Some people are so retarded that they assumed that every one grew up
> like them with the culture of alcohol and substance abuse.

Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.

I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

cshenk 17-10-2008 04:43 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"amandaF" wrote

>> > What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
>> > (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

> I don't know anything about alcohol: Beer, wine, etc. because I stay
> away from alcohol. No smoking, no pot, no weed, no any drug either.
> My brain has never been abused by any drug.

Dry sherry when stated just that way, has a taste that is decent enough to
enjoy in small (3 thimbles together) glasses. Cooking sherry has added salt
which makes it undrinkable and is used mostly to tenderize meats.

Alternatives are mirin (a sake derivative) and Sake. Mirin or Sake is
usually used in 1 TB amouts for 1/2 lb (1/4 KG) of beef, lamb, goat, or
pork, as a marinade to tenderize it for an hour or 6 before cooking.
Vinegar is also used often at the same time for a combination effect.

cshenk 17-10-2008 04:49 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"amandaF" wrote

> I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
> for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese
> restaurant used it in their cooking.

A translation there. Most asiatic recipes get translated to use dry sherry
vice 'rice wine' (sake or mirin are japanese names for it).

The chinese do not make 'sherry'. Many USA places will sub Sherry though
for the wines (rice based frequently) than they do use. Hence, the
confusion.

cshenk 17-10-2008 04:50 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"Omelet" wrote

> Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
> Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.
>
> I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
> of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

cybercat 17-10-2008 05:50 AM

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Omelet" wrote
>
>> Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
>> Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.
>>
>> I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
>> of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

> Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

Jesus. What a strange thing for Om to say. Alcohol is one of the "greater
pleasures in life?" Now that is very sad.

Melba's Jammin' 17-10-2008 12:47 PM

amandaF > wrote:

> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

Cooking wine obtained at the supermarket contains salt.
A common thought is that if you wouldn't drink it at table, you
shouldn't cook with it. Cooking wine falls into that lot.

Dry sherry is a nice aperitif before a meal. I keep a bottle in my
fridge to use in cooking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise

amandaF 17-10-2008 03:32 PM

On Oct 16, 7:02 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> amandaF > wrote:
> > Some people are so retarded that they assumed that every one grew up
> > like them with the culture of alcohol and substance abuse.

> Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
> Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.
>
> I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
> of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

Not sad at all because this reminds me of one time, just one time, an
alcoholic drink was bought for me (in San Francisco). It had some
fancy name and so I can't remember. My date finished most of it,
making me drink one sip as he drank. I took a very tiny sip. I
couldn't sleep week last night. He said that I'd get used to it but
never insist that I drink again and I planned to never try again.

amandaF 17-10-2008 03:36 PM

On Oct 16, 8:49 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "amandaF" wrote
>
> > I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
> > for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese
> > restaurant used it in their cooking.

> A translation there. Most asiatic recipes get translated to use dry sherry
> vice 'rice wine' (sake or mirin are japanese names for it).

Oh, that's why that recipe says rice wine or dry sherry. Since I don't
want to make a trip to Asian part of the town just to get rice wine, I
went to the grocery store, the closet one, actually to get a small can
pine apple but there was only big ones. So I asked the store manager
about dry sherry and found Reese's brand cooking wine (Sherry) . I
wasn't convinced that that's what I needed.

> The chinese do not make 'sherry'. Many USA places will sub Sherry though
> for the wines (rice based frequently) than they do use. Hence, the
> confusion.

I figured that it is is the US version of Chinese food but I like that
food if not cooked too greasy. I had Kung Pao chicken back home many
time. Totally different than here.

amandaF 17-10-2008 03:55 PM

On Oct 16, 9:50 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>
> ...> "Omelet" wrote
>
> >> Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
> >> Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.

> >> I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
> >> of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

> > Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

> Jesus. What a strange thing for Om to say. Alcohol is one of the "greater
> pleasures in life?" Now that is very sad.

When I was in 6th grade, my school had a big exhibition about the
danger of drug (heroin) in the big assembly room. (My school is one of
a handful of richest school in the country; I didn't realize until
later that not all schools had the kind of activities my school had).
There were pictures of drug users that I also found in my cousin's big
medical book - he's about 11 years older and instead of staying at the
dorm, would come stay at our house. I remember reading everything on
the display. That was a good age to learn not to put anything (that
one knows) that would cause harm the body into one's body. But, I did
take a puff of a cigarette in my freshman year (college) - we were 17
and were playing with it.

Omelet[_7_] 17-10-2008 05:08 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

In article >, "cshenk" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" wrote
>
> > Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
> > Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.
> >
> > I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
> > of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

> Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

Ok, it was just the way she stated it.

Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
It was kinda holier-than-thou...

blake murphy[_2_] 17-10-2008 07:42 PM

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:49:04 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "amandaF" wrote
>
>> I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
>> for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese
>> restaurant used it in their cooking.

> A translation there. Most asiatic recipes get translated to use dry sherry
> vice 'rice wine' (sake or mirin are japanese names for it).

mirin, with its added sugar, is not a good substitute. sake would likely
produce a good result, but different. amanda would be better off buying a
dry sherry from taylor or gallo, which probably costs about the same as
'cooking wine' sold at the grocery, given the size of the bottles. sherry
keeps well.

a chinese restaurant may use rice wine with added salt, but almost never (i
would think) cooking sherry.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy[_2_] 17-10-2008 07:44 PM

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:42:51 -0700 (PDT), amandaF wrote:

> On Oct 16, 4:56 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in message

>> Okay, I'm done with you. I've given you the benefit of the doubt
>> through a lot of completely ignorant posts. There's nothing wrong
>> with ignorance, it just means somebody hasn't learned someething yet.
>> But your record of posts from a standpoint of "there's nothing too
>> obvious for me to pretend to ask about" has ultimately worn too thin.
>> No one who is interested enough in food to read this group could be
>> ignorant of the full range of things you have pretended ignorance
>> about. Give it up. Or make up another name. -aem

> Some people are so retarded that they assumed that every one grew up
> like them with the culture of alcohol and substance abuse.

what the **** does that have to do with anything?

your pal,
blake

blake murphy[_2_] 17-10-2008 07:47 PM

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:39:32 -0700 (PDT), amandaF wrote:

> On Oct 16, 9:32 am, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> amandaF > wrote:
>>> What is the difference between dry sherry versus Reese's "Cooking wine
>>> (Sherry)"? Are they the same?

>> No.
>>
>> I've seen it stated more than one:
>>
>> "Never cook with something you are not willing to drink from a glass".

> I don't know anything about alcohol: Beer, wine, etc. because I stay
> away from alcohol. No smoking, no pot, no weed, no any drug either.
> My brain has never been abused by any drug.

frankly, the state of your brain is not much of an argument for abstinence.

your pal,
blake

cshenk 17-10-2008 10:30 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"amandaF" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> > I have never used it in anything. The Kung pPao Chicken recipe asked
>> > for it and I was curious about it, assuming that the Chinese

>> A translation there. Most asiatic recipes get translated to use dry
>> sherry
>> vice 'rice wine' (sake or mirin are japanese names for it).

> Oh, that's why that recipe says rice wine or dry sherry. Since I don't

Yes. The tastes are often acceptably swapped. Not always, but many
'weterners' not familiar with the taste of rice wines, are unaware of when
it can or can't be swapped. They tend to 'assume it always works'.

> want to make a trip to Asian part of the town just to get rice wine, I

Agreed. It's one of those things that should wait til you have more things
in mind. My local Asian Grocery is 3 miles away and only easy to get to
when coming back home from the chiropracter's office. I keep my list ready
and go then.

> went to the grocery store, the closet one, actually to get a small can
> pine apple but there was only big ones. So I asked the store manager
> about dry sherry and found Reese's brand cooking wine (Sherry) . I
> wasn't convinced that that's what I needed.

It probably will do 'ok enough' but if your particular recipe uses much
waterchestnut, I find that sherry will stand out as 'wierd' to my tastebuds.
Could just be me. I have a small bottle of sherry (saved off from a
friend's larger one) for it's rare time when sherry is needed and my mirin
or sake dont work for a particular recipe.

>> The chinese do not make 'sherry'. Many USA places will sub Sherry though
>> for the wines (rice based frequently) than they do use. Hence, the
>> confusion.

> I figured that it is is the US version of Chinese food but I like that
> food if not cooked too greasy. I had Kung Pao chicken back home many
> time. Totally different than here.

Yes (grin). I've had Kung Pao chicken in Singapore and Hong Kong. Not
quite the same between both places but delicious just the same. Had it here
Stateside a few times and only the one 'hole in the wall' place in Spokane
Washington did it true justice. There's a place here in Norfolk area that
has a version I actually like too, but it's hard to not 'grin' when calling
it Kung Pao Chicken because it's so far off the mark of authentic, it could
easily be a completely different dish!

When I was in Japan, I would commonly 'Americanize' dishes somewhat to my
own tastes. A big one was to use mirin or sake like they do, but in reduced
amounts. Sometimes the dashi (fish stock) would be swapped for chicken
stock (a very common swap that does *not* always work though western
cookbooks will say it does).

A sample since I'm on a roll?

There's a rice dish I make frequently. I learned it there (Sasebo) and
since have encountered USA/Canada 'knockoffs' that get posted by folks as
'authentic'. I'm not saying the western version is 'bad' but it's so
totally different, it shouldnt have the same name.

This is 'rice porridge' (a near version of other lands is called congee or
juk). I'll post only the simplest version. The real one has 20-30 types of
'little bits of things' added.

Authentic:
rice- about 2 cups (medium calrose or short grain)
Dashi- strong (first use of the fish and seaweeds)- about 7 cups
ebi (dried small shrimps) 'to taste' (1/2 cup or more)
2 ts (potentially up to 1 TB) sake or mirin

This is a soupy mix, intended to be so. Miso often stirred in before
serving. It is a common fast breakfast food, often made right in the
ricemaker.

Westernized:
rice- long grain, 2 cups
chicken broth- 7 or 8 cups
fresh shrimp or frozen, 1 cup

This is also a soupy mix and is used for lunch or may be served with dinner.
Miso would not be added (if they even knew what it was). May see
worstershire sauce or dry sherry. Although this isnt 'bad tasting' its
totally different and a person from Japan probably wouldnt recognize it. It
would be done on the stovetop also which would feel 'wierd' to modern
Japanese.

India-version:
rice- brown basmati, 3 cups
vegetable stock- 7 cups
curry powder
minced onion
peanuts
miso- red

Yes, had a friend in Japan who 'Indianized' this and said there was
something like it at home (Mumbai I think) but it wasnt as soupy. She also
called this 'rice porridge' in following the name Sasebo had for such a dish
but as you can see, it's definately not the same thing at all. Oh she had
one other ingredient, but I'm not sure if it was nutmeg or cinnimon or both.
It was used sparsely. She may have also added just a little sugar (she
liked raw granulated beet sugars). (She was married to a USA sailor and
lived in our building. Had a really long first name which we shortened to
Miri).

Grin, fun little ramble there.

cshenk 17-10-2008 10:41 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"blake murphy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> A translation there. Most asiatic recipes get translated to use dry
>> sherry
>> vice 'rice wine' (sake or mirin are japanese names for it).

> mirin, with its added sugar, is not a good substitute. sake would likely
> produce a good result, but different.

Agreed. Sake is a more natural cross to dry sherry. Mirin may do in some
recipes, but you'd adjust any added sugar to accomodate. Just like if the
recipe was written around cooking sherry, and you used sake instead, you may
need to adjust the salt.

> amanda would be better off buying a
> dry sherry from taylor or gallo, which probably costs about the same as
> 'cooking wine' sold at the grocery, given the size of the bottles. sherry
> keeps well.

Yes. Though she has some now I gather? It will keep well for a very long
time, just like a bottle of sake or mirin used for cooking will keep.

> a chinese restaurant may use rice wine with added salt, but almost never
> (i
> would think) cooking sherry.

;-) hopefully! But you never know! All in all, depending on the cuisine
she is trying to replicate, she'll find the added 'fruityness' of the sherry
may be a distractor in some dishes and in others, may add a sweet depth she
will like.

My general rule of thumb (not totally hard and fast, just works as a
generic). If it uses peanuts, water chestnuts, or dashi, then dry sherry
tends to be a negative element. If it uses chicken or vegetable stock (and
not peanuts or water chestnuts) and minimal seaweeds, then sherry tends to
work quite well and may even be better.

If the recipe says 'plum wine' then Sherry seems to work well as an
acceptable swap if you dont have plum wine handy.

cshenk 17-10-2008 11:13 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>>> Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
>>> Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.

>>> I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
>>> of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

>> Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

> Jesus. What a strange thing for Om to say. Alcohol is one of the "greater
> pleasures in life?" Now that is very sad.

Grin, possibly a symptom of traditional USA 'mono-culturalism' in action.
Om doesnt seem to mean bad, but may not be aware other than peripherally of
other cultural values on this. I don't know what culture Amanda comes from
(and she may have an Americanized name here like Miri had) but I can see
it's not your typical USA southern gal there ;-)

Miri was interesting and fun to be around. She'd eat certain seafood meats
when out with others but kept a fairly straight vegetarian faire at home.
Her 2 exceptions at home were *small* amounts of niboshi (no real english
name for these, think small whole dried fish about guppy sized, head and
tail still on), and small amounts of ebi (dried shrimp, sometimes spiced
heavily before drying which is the sort she liked). She'd use the ebi and
niboshi as garnishes.

We'd watch her kids sometimes with prior arrangement since we needed to know
in advance so we could cook 'vegetarian'. I had no problem with this at all
and just had a handy list of a few common things to avoid that she'd found
most others wouldnt realize (jello for example). It was easier to just
scratch cook up stuff so neither of us had to wonder if some odd item from a
box crept in ;-)

A typical meal was rice, kangkoon (a type of spinach sort of), baked
eggplant with olive oil and crushed tomatoes from a can, winter squash (lots
of variations), fresh fruits, bread from my breadmaker, and dried beans of
some sort made without any meat broth but lots of onions and spices.
Caffiene free chilled tea with honey. The kids were particularily fond of
butterbeans with curry ;-). Ok enough nutritionally for the 'every 2 months
or so dinner'.

If there's anything 'weird' there, it's that I was quite willing to adjust
our meal. It was not wierd that they had other habits in eating. It was
very cool that she felt good about letting her kids eat with us now and
again so she and her husband could go out to a movie. (They didnt drink
either).

Sounds muslim but they were not. Just no meat (except small garnishes as
above), meat byproducts (milk products allowed but 2 of her 3 were lactose
intolerant), eggs, alcohol, or caffene (one of the 3 couldnt have
chocolate). Not vegan, but it was mostly religion based.

cshenk 17-10-2008 11:20 PM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"amandaF" wrote

> When I was in 6th grade, my school had a big exhibition about the
> danger of drug (heroin) in the big assembly room. (My school is one of
> a handful of richest school in the country; I didn't realize until
> later that not all schools had the kind of activities my school had).
> There were pictures of drug users that I also found in my cousin's big
> medical book - he's about 11 years older and instead of staying at the
> dorm, would come stay at our house. I remember reading everything on
> the display. That was a good age to learn not to put anything (that
> one knows) that would cause harm the body into one's body. But, I did
> take a puff of a cigarette in my freshman year (college) - we were 17
> and were playing with it.

Charlotte has had the advantage of growing up many of her years in a culture
that is anti-drug and has carried this back with her here. She's also been
exposed to many kids from parents who's cultures didnt allow alcohol (as
well as ones who did).

I had her read this and her comment is: Seems normal to me! I don't want
to try smoking though ever.

cshenk 17-10-2008 11:24 PM

"cshenk" wrote:

>> Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

> Ok, it was just the way she stated it.

Perhaps. There was no intention though to upset anyone.

> Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
> It was kinda holier-than-thou...

;-) Many who dont drink, feel that way about those who do.

Dan Abel 18-10-2008 02:07 AM

Omelet > wrote:

> In article >, "cshenk" >
> wrote:

> > Not sad, may be religion based. Nothing wrong with that.

> Ok, it was just the way she stated it.
>
> Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
> It was kinda holier-than-thou...

Well, it's too bad. "Amanda" seems like a western name, but she isn't
western, and seems to come from a culture where alcohol is not accepted.
She also seemed unfamiliar with a lot of things. I have a lot of
chinese relatives, and some have adopted western names, and some haven't.

So, somebody dumped on her for being ignorant of western cooking. So,
she dumped on him back.

I would suggest that we try to support Amanda, and hopefully she will
get over her anger and be a productive member of rfc.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

cshenk 18-10-2008 03:28 AM

Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

"Dan Abel" wrote

> Well, it's too bad. "Amanda" seems like a western name, but she isn't
> western, and seems to come from a culture where alcohol is not accepted.
> She also seemed unfamiliar with a lot of things. I have a lot of
> chinese relatives, and some have adopted western names, and some haven't.

Many do, some do not. If the name is really hard for westerners to say,
tends to get a shorter nickname. Also if of mixed parentage, may have
western name. (or may not).

> So, somebody dumped on her for being ignorant of western cooking. So,
> she dumped on him back.

Fair game there. I'd do the same if someone called me dumb for not figuring
out some shopping needs in Japan. I couldnt read the 'script' and went with
things I could see pictures of or see through the wrapper etc.

Lots of cleaning things that just had pics of bubbles and couldnt tell if it
was for dishes, clothes, or a wax for a clean floor (that one may have been
something like mop-n-glow?)

Frst time I tried to get kleenex, I ended up with a huge box of rubber
bands.

> I would suggest that we try to support Amanda, and hopefully she will
> get over her anger and be a productive member of rfc.

She will. Just give her time and keep her away from the worst (Sheldon)
sorts.

Goomba[_2_] 18-10-2008 04:07 AM

Dan Abel wrote:

>> Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
>> It was kinda holier-than-thou...

> Well, it's too bad. "Amanda" seems like a western name, but she isn't
> western, and seems to come from a culture where alcohol is not accepted.
> She also seemed unfamiliar with a lot of things. I have a lot of
> chinese relatives, and some have adopted western names, and some haven't.
>
> So, somebody dumped on her for being ignorant of western cooking. So,
> she dumped on him back.
>
> I would suggest that we try to support Amanda, and hopefully she will
> get over her anger and be a productive member of rfc.

She speaks of living in the US and going to grad school. Yet her
questions and comments are often excessively simple minded, so I can see
how it annoys.