Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> >> Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
> >> It was kinda holier-than-thou...

> > Well, it's too bad. "Amanda" seems like a western name, but she isn't
> > western, and seems to come from a culture where alcohol is not accepted.
> > She also seemed unfamiliar with a lot of things. I have a lot of
> > chinese relatives, and some have adopted western names, and some haven't.
> >
> > So, somebody dumped on her for being ignorant of western cooking. So,
> > she dumped on him back.
> >
> > I would suggest that we try to support Amanda, and hopefully she will
> > get over her anger and be a productive member of rfc.
> >

> She speaks of living in the US and going to grad school. Yet her
> questions and comments are often excessively simple minded, so I can see
> how it annoys.

It might be worthwhile to go back and read what she has written on this
group. I believe she stated that she never learned to cook, and that
when she came to the US to go to grad school, she learned to cook three
things, but mostly ate out. Now she wants to learn to cook, but she
knows nothing about it, and even though her English is fairly good, she
doesn't know English words relating to cooking.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote
Goomba wrote:

>> She speaks of living in the US and going to grad school. Yet her
>> questions and comments are often excessively simple minded, so I can see
>> how it annoys.

> It might be worthwhile to go back and read what she has written on this
> group. I believe she stated that she never learned to cook, and that
> when she came to the US to go to grad school, she learned to cook three
> things, but mostly ate out. Now she wants to learn to cook, but she
> knows nothing about it, and even though her English is fairly good, she
> doesn't know English words relating to cooking.

While my Japanese is largely limited to cooking names for foods. Yes, is
can go either way an eventially one learns to cook but it may be after
'college' often enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 7:32 am, amandaF > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 7:02 pm, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> > amandaF > wrote:
> > > Some people are so retarded that they assumed that every one grew up
> > > like them with the culture of alcohol and substance abuse.

> > Amanda, there is no sin in enjoying a good glass of wine. :-)
> > Not everybody that drinks it "abuses" it.

> > I'm sorry you are so afraid of a little alcohol that you can't enjoy one
> > of the greater pleasures in life. That's very sad.

> Not sad at all because this reminds me of one time, just one time, an
> alcoholic drink was bought for me (in San Francisco). It had some
> fancy name and so I can't remember. My date finished most of it,
> making me drink one sip as he drank. I took a very tiny sip.

I meant each sip as we took turns to drink it.

> I couldn't sleep week last night.

I couldn't sleep that night.

> He said that I'd get used to it but
> never insist that I drink again and I planned to never try again.
>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> > "He who has the gold makes the rules"
> > --Om

> > "He who has the guns can get the gold."
> > -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 8:07 pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
> >> Like _everybody_ that drinks any alcohol is a "substance abuser".
> >> It was kinda holier-than-thou...

> > Well, it's too bad. "Amanda" seems like a western name, but she isn't
> > western, and seems to come from a culture where alcohol is not accepted.
> > She also seemed unfamiliar with a lot of things. I have a lot of
> > chinese relatives, and some have adopted western names, and some haven't.

> > So, somebody dumped on her for being ignorant of western cooking. So,
> > she dumped on him back.

> > I would suggest that we try to support Amanda, and hopefully she will
> > get over her anger and be a productive member of rfc.

> She speaks of living in the US and going to grad school. Yet her
> questions and comments are often excessively simple minded, so I can see
> how it annoys.

What else could I expect from Gumbo who accused me of claiming to be
in IT. Back then I was using a different email address. Here is for
the retarded brain of Gumbo: When a foreign student who grew up
having to do not grocery shopping or cooking - I did fry eggs both
over-easy and scrambled - and attended grad school (in Chemistry and
later Computer programming) on student visa - That means pays 3 time
tuition fees as American (in-state) students, nothing else was fxxxn'
important to spend time on. But then how could a brain like Gumbo's
understand that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> What else could I expect from Gumbo who accused me of claiming to be
> in IT. Back then I was using a different email address. Here is for
> the retarded brain of Gumbo: When a foreign student who grew up
> having to do not grocery shopping or cooking - I did fry eggs both
> over-easy and scrambled - and attended grad school (in Chemistry and
> later Computer programming) on student visa - That means pays 3 time
> tuition fees as American (in-state) students, nothing else was fxxxn'
> important to spend time on. But then how could a brain like Gumbo's
> understand that?

Yes, you made my point again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 9:23 am, Goomba > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > What else could I expect from Gumbo who accused me of claiming to be
> > in IT. Back then I was using a different email address. Here is for
> > the retarded brain of Gumbo: When a foreign student who grew up
> > having to do not grocery shopping or cooking - I did fry eggs both
> > over-easy and scrambled - and attended grad school (in Chemistry and
> > later Computer programming) on student visa - That means pays 3 time
> > tuition fees as American (in-state) students, nothing else was fxxxn'
> > important to spend time on. But then how could a brain like Gumbo's
> > understand that?

> Yes, you made my point again.

Really? Do you have any shame? I ignored you to a point that if it is
your post in thread that I do not initiate and yet you are still
relentless in trying to get my attention. Get a life, will you?