Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Pizza, Whole Wheat Crust?

Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
other stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
> I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
> other stuff.

I occasionally make a half whole wheat crust. The texture is different
though. Just substitute whole wheat for some of the all purpose flour. I
wonder if I rested the dough in the fridge - if the texture would
improve. It's not bad, just not chewy - more "short" if that makes sense.

I also started using uncooked ground tomatoes for the sauce which I
learned here! Big difference. I add a bit of basil, oregano and thyme to
the sauce before spreading on the pizza.

-Tracy
Thinking about making pizza now...maybe tomorrow. I will make the dough
tonight and stick it in the fridge to see what happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
>> I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out
>> the other stuff.

> I occasionally make a half whole wheat crust. The texture is different
> though. Just substitute whole wheat for some of the all purpose flour. I
> wonder if I rested the dough in the fridge - if the texture would improve.
> It's not bad, just not chewy - more "short" if that makes sense.
>
> I also started using uncooked ground tomatoes for the sauce which I
> learned here! Big difference. I add a bit of basil, oregano and thyme to
> the sauce before spreading on the pizza.
>
> -Tracy
> Thinking about making pizza now...maybe tomorrow. I will make the dough
> tonight and stick it in the fridge to see what happens.

I'll go search the archives for past recipes! Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and
> cholesterol. I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I
> can figure out the other stuff.

I've had many whole wheat crusts (in different pizza parlors) and I never
just thought the pizza tasted the same. Granted, I love whole wheat bread,
but just not in my pasta or in my pizza.

Wish I had an answer for you, Cyber.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and
>> cholesterol. I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I
>> can figure out the other stuff.

> I've had many whole wheat crusts (in different pizza parlors) and I never
> just thought the pizza tasted the same. Granted, I love whole wheat bread,
> but just not in my pasta or in my pizza.
>
> Wish I had an answer for you, Cyber.
>
> kili

Whole wheat crusts are so not the same. I agree! The DH wants me to
make everything with ww flour these days. He also buys the ww pasta
which I tolerate (for him) but I would prefer the regular type.

The day he asks me to use whole wheat pasta in lasagna is the day I show
him the door. ;-)

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and
>>> cholesterol. I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I
>>> can figure out the other stuff.

>> I've had many whole wheat crusts (in different pizza parlors) and I
>> never just thought the pizza tasted the same. Granted, I love whole
>> wheat bread, but just not in my pasta or in my pizza.
>>
>> Wish I had an answer for you, Cyber.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Whole wheat crusts are so not the same. I agree! The DH wants me to
> make everything with ww flour these days. He also buys the ww pasta
> which I tolerate (for him) but I would prefer the regular type.
>
> The day he asks me to use whole wheat pasta in lasagna is the day I
> show him the door. ;-)
>
> Tracy

Par-boil the ww lasagna noodles and stick him to the door with it! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:35:13 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
>I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
>other stuff.

I don't make the crust for our pizzas at all - I make flatbread pizzas
made on oatbran or wholewheat pitabread. They taste wonderful with a
fraction of the work (and a fraction of the cost of actually buying a
darned pizza crust!) For sauce we use straight tomato paste without
any extra salt added and sprinkle it with herbs. In fact, we just had
pita pizzas for lunch today. Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 12:57*pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and
> > cholesterol. I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I
> > can figure out the other stuff.

> I've had many whole wheat crusts (in different pizza parlors) and I never
> just thought the pizza tasted the same. *Granted, I love whole wheat bread,
> but just not in my pasta or in my pizza.
>
> Wish I had an answer for you, Cyber.
>
> kili

I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
(triple ugh). I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it. I don't even like the
white ww bread that Wonder makes (or Sara Lee, for that matter).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:35:13 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
>>I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
>>other stuff.
>>

> I don't make the crust for our pizzas at all - I make flatbread pizzas
> made on oatbran or wholewheat pitabread. They taste wonderful with a
> fraction of the work (and a fraction of the cost of actually buying a
> darned pizza crust!) For sauce we use straight tomato paste without
> any extra salt added and sprinkle it with herbs. In fact, we just had
> pita pizzas for lunch today. Yum!

AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote
>I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
>ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
>(triple ugh). I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
>flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it. I don't even like the
>white ww bread that Wonder makes (or Sara Lee, for that matter).

I feel the same way. I'm just trying to see if I can make my husband's
favorite junk food healthier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:43:22 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
>> I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
>> other stuff.
>>

>I occasionally make a half whole wheat crust. The texture is different
>though. Just substitute whole wheat for some of the all purpose flour. I
>wonder if I rested the dough in the fridge - if the texture would
>improve. It's not bad, just not chewy - more "short" if that makes sense.

I make my dough with a bit of whole wheat if I don't have enough white
and for me, which white flour: bread or all purpose, doesn't matter.

>I also started using uncooked ground tomatoes for the sauce which I
>learned here! Big difference. I add a bit of basil, oregano and thyme to
>the sauce before spreading on the pizza.

I started off using fresh, then went to ground canned, sauce, now I
use paste because I don't want all the water fresh and the others
have.

>-Tracy
>Thinking about making pizza now...maybe tomorrow. I will make the dough
>tonight and stick it in the fridge to see what happens.

You can keep dough several days in the refrigerator, just punch it
down when it gets high. AFAIC: The best thing in the world is
"refrigerator rolls", so it stands to reason that slow rise pizza
dough would be good too.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:06:09 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>Whole wheat crusts are so not the same.

Neither is whole wheat pasta or brown rice, but both taste great!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:06:09 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>The DH wants me to
>make everything with ww flour these days. He also buys the ww pasta
>which I tolerate (for him) but I would prefer the regular type.
>
>The day he asks me to use whole wheat pasta in lasagna is the day I show
>him the door. ;-)

Do ww lasagna noodles exist? I don't remember seeing it, but I wasn't
looking. I really like ww pasta. Yes, it tastes different.
Differently *good* to me.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
>ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
>(triple ugh). I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
>flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it.

LOL! You're soooo "white bread", Nan.

> I don't even like the
>white ww bread that Wonder makes (or Sara Lee, for that matter).

Frankly I've never tasted those products. Maybe they suck, but not
because they contain ww. They probably suck because the producer
can't do it well.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:11:29 -0400, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>>I don't make the crust for our pizzas at all - I make flatbread pizzas
>>made on oatbran or wholewheat pitabread. They taste wonderful with a
>>fraction of the work (and a fraction of the cost of actually buying a
>>darned pizza crust!) For sauce we use straight tomato paste without
>>any extra salt added and sprinkle it with herbs. In fact, we just had
>>pita pizzas for lunch today. Yum!

> I've used the pitas also and they do work very well and give a nice
> crispy crust. But usually I make my own dough.

+1 on the wholewheat pitas; cheap, easy, healthy, tasty. Not a fan of
straight tomato paste though; good in braises where it has time to mellow
but too strong/acidic for a pizza. Fresh tomato drained of excess liquid is
nicer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:59:31 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Nancy2" > wrote
>>I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
>>ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
>>(triple ugh). I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
>>flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it. I don't even like the
>>white ww bread that Wonder makes (or Sara Lee, for that matter).

>I feel the same way. I'm just trying to see if I can make my husband's
>favorite junk food healthier.

Don't do that Cyber. Nobody wants to be forcefully converted to
"healthy". If you "make them" it just makes them all the more opposed
to it.

If your husband likes that stuff, then go for it. If he is stubborn,
then introduce it gradually and don't announce it when you make it.
Most men don't *look*, they just eat and pronounce if they liked it or
didn't. Hopefully you're not married to an inspector.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:34:08 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?

It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 15 Oct 2008 07:47:43p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:34:08 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?
>>

> It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
> ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

I like whole wheat bread, but only if it's a fairly heavy and coarse
texture, not the typical whole wheat loaf bread. I use whole wheat flour
in combination with out flours in some baked goods, but I doubt seriously
if I'd like a whole wheat pizza crust. I detest whole wheat pasta, and
I've really tried to like it, trying quite a few different products. Just
my cup of tea.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 5dys 4hrs 6mins
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice
doggy' while you look for a rock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:06:09 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> The DH wants me to
>> make everything with ww flour these days. He also buys the ww pasta
>> which I tolerate (for him) but I would prefer the regular type.
>>
>> The day he asks me to use whole wheat pasta in lasagna is the day I show
>> him the door. ;-)

> Do ww lasagna noodles exist? I don't remember seeing it, but I wasn't
> looking. I really like ww pasta. Yes, it tastes different.
> Differently *good* to me.

I don't remember seeing it. I was just saying what I would do IF he
asked. ;-)

Whole wheat pasta is just ok for me. The texture is what I find most
disagreeable.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:43:22 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
>>> I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
>>> other stuff.
>>>

>> I occasionally make a half whole wheat crust. The texture is different
>> though. Just substitute whole wheat for some of the all purpose flour. I
>> wonder if I rested the dough in the fridge - if the texture would
>> improve. It's not bad, just not chewy - more "short" if that makes sense.

> I make my dough with a bit of whole wheat if I don't have enough white
> and for me, which white flour: bread or all purpose, doesn't matter.
>> I also started using uncooked ground tomatoes for the sauce which I
>> learned here! Big difference. I add a bit of basil, oregano and thyme to
>> the sauce before spreading on the pizza.

> I started off using fresh, then went to ground canned, sauce, now I
> use paste because I don't want all the water fresh and the others
> have.
>> -Tracy
>> Thinking about making pizza now...maybe tomorrow. I will make the dough
>> tonight and stick it in the fridge to see what happens.
>>

> You can keep dough several days in the refrigerator, just punch it
> down when it gets high. AFAIC: The best thing in the world is
> "refrigerator rolls", so it stands to reason that slow rise pizza
> dough would be good too.

Well, I made some pizza dough tonight - half ap flour and half ww flour
and it is sitting in the fridge.

We'll have pizza tomorrow or Friday. I will report back on how it tastes.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:11:00 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>We'll have pizza tomorrow or Friday. I will report back on how it tastes.

I think you'll like it!
What oil did you use?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:08:41 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>Whole wheat pasta is just ok for me. The texture is what I find most
>disagreeable.

I'm not texture hyper-sensitive, so if there's a slight difference it
was in the "good" column for me.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:56:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 15 Oct 2008 07:47:43p, sf told us...
>
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:34:08 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?
>>>

>> It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
>> ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

>I like whole wheat bread, but only if it's a fairly heavy and coarse
>texture, not the typical whole wheat loaf bread.

I like them all, but the heavier the better AFAIC.

>I use whole wheat flour
>in combination with out flours in some baked goods, but I doubt seriously
>if I'd like a whole wheat pizza crust.

Well, I liked it... but I made it. I *didn't* like the (fresh) ww
pizza dough I bought from Trader Joe's a couple of years ago.

>I detest whole wheat pasta, and
>I've really tried to like it, trying quite a few different products. Just
>my cup of tea.

I understand! I guess I've been exposed to enough of that sort of
thing over the years that it doesn't bother me in things like pasta or
bread. However, I've never tried making a ww pie crust, and I can't
even begin to imagine a ww croissant.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:16:49p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 02:56:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 15 Oct 2008 07:47:43p, sf told us...

>>> It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
>>> ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

>>I like whole wheat bread, but only if it's a fairly heavy and coarse
>>texture, not the typical whole wheat loaf bread.

> I like them all, but the heavier the better AFAIC.
>
>>I use whole wheat flour
>>in combination with out flours in some baked goods, but I doubt seriously
>>if I'd like a whole wheat pizza crust.

> Well, I liked it... but I made it. I *didn't* like the (fresh) ww
> pizza dough I bought from Trader Joe's a couple of years ago.

We prefer a very chewy pizza crust, so I use high protein bread flour
exclusively.

>>I detest whole wheat pasta, and
>>I've really tried to like it, trying quite a few different products.

Just
>>my cup of tea.

> I understand! I guess I've been exposed to enough of that sort of
> thing over the years that it doesn't bother me in things like pasta or
> bread. However, I've never tried making a ww pie crust, and I can't
> even begin to imagine a ww croissant.

I tried a whole wheat pie pastry once; thoughtit might be interesting.
AFAIC, it's impossible to make a flaky pastry with whole wheat flour. A
good flaky pastry is one of my great joys in desserts. I usually use a
blend of all-purpose flour and cake flour. There was a time when "pastry
flour" was fairly common, but I rarely see it anymore.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 5dys 2hrs 40mins
Is it just me or are all uncles either
really cool, or child molestors?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:43*am, Tracy > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and cholesterol.
> > I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure out the
> > other stuff.

> I occasionally make a half whole wheat crust. The texture is different
> though. Just substitute whole wheat for some of the all purpose flour. I
> wonder if I rested the dough in the fridge - if the texture would
> improve. It's not bad, just not chewy - more "short" if that makes sense.
>
> I also started using uncooked ground tomatoes for the sauce which I
> learned here! Big difference. I add a bit of basil, oregano and thyme to
> the sauce before spreading on the pizza.

I use Peter Reinhardt's crust and crushed tomato sauce, from his book
American Pie. The crust I really like is called the Neopolitan
style. No oil, just flour, water, salt and yeast. In an addendum to
that recipe, he suggests that using whole wheat for part of the crust
works well...and adds a very interesting flavor, and that a lot of
folks like it like that. I haven't tried it like that yet, but it is
my intention to do so. Maybe make some of the dough tonight.

And part of the appeal of this crust is the flavor...it sits in the
fridge for overnight or longer.. The flavor is superb because of
that.

The sauce is made from crushed tomatoes...and my experience has shown
me (at least) that this is my preferred sauce. One can either crush
regular canned plum tomatoes, or buy them already crushed. Either way
works. The seasonings are garlic (fresh or garlic powder), oregano,
basil, and a bit of red wine vinegar. It is a marvelous tasting
sauce..and has that real pizza parlor taste, at least to my mind.

And no, I will more than likely not post recipes for any of these, but
Peter Reinhardts books are available in libraries... And if you do a
search on his Neopolitan crust, several hits come up. Haven't tried
to pull up his crushed tomato sauce yet....

Christine, who might make pizza dough even this late at night..and
will use part ww flour for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:04:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>And no, I will more than likely not post recipes for any of these, but
>Peter Reinhardts books are available in libraries... And if you do a
>search on his Neopolitan crust, several hits come up. Haven't tried
>to pull up his crushed tomato sauce yet....
>
>Christine, who might make pizza dough even this late at night..and
>will use part ww flour for it.

Replying to my own post.

Okay, I lied.

Here is the sauce I use the most often. I found it online:

The Sauce:

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon garlic powder or 4 or 5 cloves of crushed garlic
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice, or a combination of
the two
salt and black pepper to taste

Stir everything together. If the tomatoes are too chunky, break them
up with your fingers.

Fresh tomatoes or herbs can be substituted for canned tomatoes and
dried herbs. The fresh tomatoes don't even need to be cooked first,
since the time in the oven baking is enough to cook them.

The dough:
http://www.here-now.org/downloads/food/031210_pizza.pdf

I make my dough in the food processor. Peter Reinhardt has a
technique which he says produces a good dough in the food processor...

The key is to do the first mixing in short bursts...til the dough just
comes together. No prolonged mixing then. Otherwise the dough
toughens.. It needs to hydrate before the prolonged mixing.

When you add the ingredients for the dough, use the pulse function on
the processor...in short bursts, just til the dough comes together.
Then let it sit...for about 20 minutes or longer.

Then do a prolonged processing cycle of about 1-2 minutes...

After that, let it sit at room temperature...as the previous recipe
suggests..the refrigerate it overnight.

For part of the white flour, you can substitute up to 1 tablespoon of
whole wheat or rye flour per cup of all purpose flour.

I haven't tried that substitution yet..but it is my intent to do so
next time I make this.

This makes the best pizza outside of pizza parlors...in my
opinion..and I have tried one of the best..Pizzeria Bianco. If cooked
on a pizza stone, this can really blow one away...it is that good for
a homebaked pizza.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:11:00 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> We'll have pizza tomorrow or Friday. I will report back on how it tastes.

> I think you'll like it!
> What oil did you use?

I am sure I will like it...I am curious about how the texture changes
with the overnight fridge rise.
I used olive oil.

This will be the second time I've let pizza dough rise in the fridge.
The first time I was forced to stick my dough in the fridge because of a
power outage. Usually I just let the dough rise once on the counter
before proceeding to the pizza making.

The difference this time will be the addition of ww flour.

Tracy
(maybe making pizza tonight - maybe tomorrow)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 9:27*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
> >I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
> >ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
> >(triple ugh). *I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
> >flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it.

> LOL! *You're soooo "white bread", Nan.

I yam, and proud of it. What the heck, it's a small thing. But I
think cinnamon rolls are absolutely the worst use of wwheat flour -
why bother, when they load up the tops with that cream cheese icing??

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> Anybody do this? We need to find ways to control the fat and

cholesterol.
> I'm most interested in a good crust and tomato sauce, I can figure

out the
> other stuff.

Never even heard ofg a wholemeal pizza crust,
cool idea...i wonder what they would say if i asked for that in my
local pizza joint hehehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote:

>I yam, and proud of it. What the heck, it's a small thing. But I
>think cinnamon rolls are absolutely the worst use of wwheat flour -
>why bother, when they load up the tops with that cream cheese icing??

I neeeeeed some of these and soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote:
>

>> I yam, and proud of it. What the heck, it's a small thing. But I
>> think cinnamon rolls are absolutely the worst use of wwheat flour -
>> why bother, when they load up the tops with that cream cheese icing??

> I neeeeeed some of these and soon.

I used work in a mall bookstore right across from a Cinnabon store. The
smell was overpowering. Customers often commented "how can you stand
it?" or "how can you not eat them every day?" IMHO they smelled waaaay
etter than they tasted. I might have to make some soon. Ironically, I
think my recipe includes whole wheat flour - but I don't do that.....

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:47:43 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:34:08 -0400, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>
>>AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?
>>

>It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
>ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

It doesn't come out tasting like 'pizza on bread'. The pitas are very
thin and dry and they go nice and crispy in the oven. Toast the pita
first (or bake them for ten minutes untopped) then put the toppings on
them and bake for 15 minutes. DH thought he'd hate it because it's
'healthy' but I made him one and now he thinks they're great as long
as I don't put any funky toppings on it (like vegetables! lol) Stick
to pepperoni and mushrooms and onion and you can't go wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:06:09 -0400, Tracy > wrote:
>
> >Whole wheat crusts are so not the same.

> Neither is whole wheat pasta or brown rice, but both taste great!

I first encountered whole wheat pasta back in the 70's when it was something
grim and flabby, only sold at the hippie - ish food co - op. I picked up
some Ronzoni whole wheat penne recently and it was really dee - lish, I'll
be using it often...

And I've preferred brown rice for years now, to the point where I consider
white rice pretty much a trailor trash victual...

Whole wheat pizza crusts are fine by me...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:59:31 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Nancy2" > wrote
>>>I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
>>>ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
>>>(triple ugh). I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
>>>flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it. I don't even like the
>>>white ww bread that Wonder makes (or Sara Lee, for that matter).

>>I feel the same way. I'm just trying to see if I can make my husband's
>>favorite junk food healthier.
>>

> Don't do that Cyber. Nobody wants to be forcefully converted to
> "healthy". If you "make them" it just makes them all the more opposed
> to it.

He wants me to do it. He doesn't cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:18:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I make my dough in the food processor. Peter Reinhardt has a
>technique which he says produces a good dough in the food processor...

I've used a FP recipe before and it's always been good.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:37:09 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Oct 15, 9:27*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I hate it when whole wheat pervades things that should be purely not
>> >ww - like cinnamon rolls (ugh), pie crust (double ugh) and pizza
>> >(triple ugh). *I like ww bread once in a while, but I don't want ww
>> >flour in stuff that usually doesn't have it.

>> LOL! *You're soooo "white bread", Nan.
>>

>I yam, and proud of it. What the heck, it's a small thing. But I
>think cinnamon rolls are absolutely the worst use of wwheat flour -
>why bother, when they load up the tops with that cream cheese icing??

Frankly, ww cinnamon rolls have never even come close to entering my
mind. Does anyone actually *do* that or is it just your vivid
imagination gone wild?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:31:29 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:47:43 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:34:08 -0400, "cybercat" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>AHA! This sounds like a winner! Any brand you like better than another?
>>>

>>It also sounds like something that *I* would hate, so why would your
>>ww hating husband like it if he's expecting "real pizza crust"?

>It doesn't come out tasting like 'pizza on bread'. The pitas are very
>thin and dry and they go nice and crispy in the oven. Toast the pita
>first (or bake them for ten minutes untopped) then put the toppings on
>them and bake for 15 minutes.

I know what a pita is and I'd never use it for a pizza crust.
Consistently, I don't like using Boboli or english muffins either
although I used to like the Stouffer's version on bread. Haven't had
it in decades, so I honestly don't know if I'd like it now or not.

>DH thought he'd hate it because it's
>'healthy' but I made him one and now he thinks they're great as long
>as I don't put any funky toppings on it (like vegetables! lol) Stick
>to pepperoni and mushrooms and onion and you can't go wrong.

If you use pepperoni, "healthy" is not part of your lexicon.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I know what a pita is and I'd never use it for a pizza crust.
> Consistently, I don't like using Boboli or english muffins either
> although I used to like the Stouffer's version on bread. Haven't had
> it in decades, so I honestly don't know if I'd like it now or not.

I've used pita bread to make little pizzas and it's not bad! Definitely not
pizza parlour good, but good enough in a pinch.

kili