Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soups On!!!!

Heya folks,

Time for another cookalong!!!

We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
he had the best minestrone......

So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
Minestrone!!!!

Date: October 25
Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.

Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Heya folks,
>
> Time for another cookalong!!!
>
> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
> he had the best minestrone......
>
> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
> will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>
> Christine

And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
<----- is that an oxymoron??? <G>

Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:11:52 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>Time for another cookalong!!!
>
>We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
>he had the best minestrone......
>
>So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
>Minestrone!!!!
>
>Date: October 25
>Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
>do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
>Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
>I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
>will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

I'm thinking I'll do "my version" of traditional. I won't follow a
known recipe, I'll do it myself.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> Time for another cookalong!!!
>
> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
> he had the best minestrone......
>
> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
> will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>
> Christine

Traditional or "classic"? LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I'll be there,
making some variation of minestrone.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> Heya folks,
>>
>> Time for another cookalong!!!
>>
>> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
>> he had the best minestrone......
>>
>> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
>> Minestrone!!!!
>>
>> Date: October 25
>> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
>> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>>
>> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>>
>> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe
>> I will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>>
>> Christine

> And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
> <----- is that an oxymoron??? <G>
>
> Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;>

I don't have a digital camera here

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 02:20:25 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>>
>>> Heya folks,
>>>
>>> Time for another cookalong!!!
>>>
>>> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
>>> he had the best minestrone......
>>>
>>> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
>>> Minestrone!!!!
>>>
>>> Date: October 25
>>> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
>>> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>>>
>>> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>>>
>>> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe
>>> I will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>>>
>>> Christine

>> And take photos too!!!! My version will be include a lot of omissions
>> <----- is that an oxymoron??? <G>
>>
>> Sky, who'll take more photos and perhaps downsize just for Blinky ;>

>I don't have a digital camera here

do it the old fashioned way

Get a disposable camera and have Walgreens put it on a CD

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Heya folks,
>
> Time for another cookalong!!!
>
> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
> he had the best minestrone......
>
> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
> will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.

I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:41:36 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
>Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
>cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.
>
>Bob

Can you do it on another day close to that day, Bob?
Or can Lin do it??

Or do it that Sunday after?

I would love to hear about your experiment. Just do it...let us know
what happens.

I don't think cookalongs have to be all at the same time.... If you
can't do it then, then do it close to that time as you can. Let us
know what happens....and how it came across.... How it tasted, etc....
Cathy in South Africa cannot do things on our schedule, for instance.
So sometimes she does it the day before, or the night after...

Whatever works. Just join in, if you wish. We would love it!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:41:36 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I wish I *could* play along; I have a minestrone experiment I want to try.
>Unfortunately, my work schedule precludes my participation in a Saturday
>cookalong. Maybe I'll just make it this Sunday afternoon.

Would anything stop Lin from being your substitute?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
have any.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> Heya folks,
>
> Time for another cookalong!!!
>
> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
> he had the best minestrone......
>
> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
> will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>
> Christine

Christine,

I will make the BEST!!! ministrone ever! Never have before, maybe never
after!

Come October 25th, my minestrone WILL arrive!!! Promise!

Best,

Andy
Reading up...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
>> Minestrone!!!!
>>
>> Date: October 25
>> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
>> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>>
>> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!

> Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
> minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
> thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
> at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
> have any.
>
> nancy

Of course you're invited! Everyone's invited!

Jill <--has to remember the parmagiana at least as a finishing touch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> Time for another cookalong!!!
>
> We were talking in chat..and notbob laid down the challenge. He said
> he had the best minestrone......
>
> So now..we are gonna have a cookalong....and the subject is
> Minestrone!!!!
>
> Date: October 25
> Time: afternoon/evening ...assuming you are all USA folks... I will
> do it in the afternoon, MDT. More details forthcoming.
>
> Make your best minestrone..or variation!!!
>
> I am thinking Soupe au pistou..which is a variation....... Or maybe I
> will go with a traditional minestrone... Dunno yet.
>
> Christine

It doesn't *have* to be minestrone and you don't have to chat. But please
do cook along... some sort of soup on October 25th. Then post about it.
Take photos if you want to. This is fun stuff

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
>minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
>thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
>at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
>have any.
>
>nancy

Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
cookalongers...LOL.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
>> minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
>> thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
>> at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
>> have any.

> Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
> cookalongers...LOL.

I didn't want to just butt in. Here's the recipe I will be making,
using the pasta option:

Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

Adding pasta or rice makes this hearty soup appropriate as a dinner.
If the soup seems too thick after adding the pasta or rice, stir in a
little water. Pasta and rice do not hold up well when refrigerated or
frozen, so serve this soup as soon as the pasta or rice is tender.

Serves 6 to 8
2 small leeks (or 1 large), white and light green parts sliced thin
crosswise (about 3/4 cup) and washed thoroughly
2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
2 small onions , peeled and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
2 medium ribs celery , trimmed and cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
1 medium baking potato , peeled and cut into medium dice (about 1 1/4
cups)
1 medium zucchini , trimmed and cut into medium dice (about 1 1/4 cups)
3 cups stemmed spinach leaves , cut into thin strips
(28 ounce) can whole tomatoes , packed in juice, drained, and chopped
8 cups water
1 Parmesan cheese rind , about 5 x 2 inches
Table salt
1/2 cup Arborio rice (or small pasta shape, such as elbows, ditalini,
or orzo)
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans , drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2
cups)
1/4 cup basil pesto (or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary mixed with
1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil)
Ground black pepper

In addition to grated cheese as a topping, swirling pesto or a
combination of rosemary and garlic into the finished soup builds flavor.
1. Bring vegetables, tomatoes, water, cheese rind, and 1 teaspoon salt
to boil in a soup kettle or pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer,
uncovered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender but
still hold their shape, about 1 hour. Add arborio rice or pasta and
continue cooking until rice is tender but still a bit firm in the
center of each grain, about 20 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, 8
to 12 minutes, depending on shape.

2. Add beans and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat. Remove and discard cheese rind. Stir in pesto
(or rosemary-garlic mixture). Adjust seasonings, adding pepper and
more salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I didn't want to just butt in. Here's the recipe I will be making,
>using the pasta option:
>
>Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

Oh, I was going to ask if you could post it. Thanks!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

This does look good.

I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
one I will make.

I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.

Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
the freezer as well.

This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

> This does look good.
>
> I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
> one I will make.
>
> I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
> prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.
>
> Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I've never had minestrone except out of a can.

Actually, I remember the first time I heard the word minestrone.
In high school, I worked in the local library a couple of hours a
day. One of the ladies asked me to run to the market for her
to pick up a can of Progresso minestrone. Minestrone? What's
that?? Heh.

I don't know why I've never made this soup, I have had this
very recipe on my 'must try someday' list.

> I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
> the freezer as well.

I'm going back to Costco, I hope the cheese display is
still there, they had enormous wheels of parm, I don't know
why I didn't pick up a wedge.

> This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
> dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

All the better.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:31:57p, Nancy Young told us...

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
>>> minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
>>> thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
>>> at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
>>> have any.

>> Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
>> cookalongers...LOL.

*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
because of all the shredded greens.

Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

2 quarts (2 liters) simmering beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cannellini or cranberry beans, or 1 cup fresh beans
1 packed cup each shredded Savoy cabbage, spinach, and beet greens
A head of garlic, roasted, then well mashed
A bunch of parsley, a small carrot, a short celery stalk, and a small
onion, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
A zucchino and a potato, diced
1/2 cup of minced, seeded, and peeled sun-ripened or canned plum tomatoes
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
Salt and pepper to taste
Boiling water (as needed)
Grated Parmigiano (at service)

If the beans are dried, soak them overnight. If they are fresh, this won't
be necessary. Heat the shredded greens in a pot until they wilt and drain
them well.

Next, simmer the vegetables and seasonings in the broth. When they’re
almost done (taste a piece of potato; it should be soft but not falling
apart), check seasoning, add the rice and continue cooking, stirring
gently. The rice should serve to absorb excess liquid, Add the parmigiano
stirring well to distribute, then simmer until melted. If the soup gets
too thick, add some boiling water.

Serve with a large garlic crouton, spread with fresh pesto.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 11hrs 2mins
If you can't explain it in under 70
characters, then don't bother expl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:13:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
>chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
>because of all the shredded greens.

You can still participate. You don't have to come to chat to
participate. I think in some past cookalongs, there have been some
folks that went ahead and made whatever we were making, and then
posted about it.

>Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

This one looks very good as well!!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:46:15p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>

>>Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

> This does look good.
>
> I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
> one I will make.
>
> I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
> prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.
>
> Don't some recipes call for pancetta?
>
> I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
> the freezer as well.
>
> This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
> dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!
>
> Christine

I don't think I've ever eaten minestrone that had any kind of meat in it,
although I have seen recipes for some, including those with prosciutto,
panceetta, or regular bacon.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 45mins
Most of the Universe plays hard-to-get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I didn't want to just butt in.

Oh, for heaven's sake Nancy. An announcement here in rfc is as good
as it gets. Nobody will be sent an engraved invitation! You (of all
people) know that rfc chat is open to anyone willing to chat and that
a cook along is a lot of fun.

RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
not an insider's clique. People who don't do chat for whatever
personal reasons (like Wayne and Michael Dog3) can still participate
in the cook along by posting here in rfc, if they wish.

Chat *is* in real time, but with a decent news server it's almost like
real time posting here.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:56:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I've never had minestrone except out of a can.

You're in for a real treat! Don't forget the bread too.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:15:56p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:13:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
>>chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
>>because of all the shredded greens.

> You can still participate. You don't have to come to chat to
> participate. I think in some past cookalongs, there have been some
> folks that went ahead and made whatever we were making, and then
> posted about it.

Then maybe that's what I'll do. I've made this recipe many times, so the
results are entirely predictable. I know a lot of recipes call for
zuchini, but I have never liked zuchini so have neer included it.

What's the date again?

>>Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

> This one looks very good as well!!

Thanks, Christine!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 28mins
Americans elect Democrats to Congress
so they'll be given what they want and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:27:46p, told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>I didn't want to just butt in.

> Oh, for heaven's sake Nancy. An announcement here in rfc is as good
> as it gets. Nobody will be sent an engraved invitation! You (of all
> people) know that rfc chat is open to anyone willing to chat and that
> a cook along is a lot of fun.
>
> RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
> not an insider's clique. People who don't do chat for whatever
> personal reasons (like Wayne and Michael Dog3) can still participate
> in the cook along by posting here in rfc, if they wish.
>
> Chat *is* in real time, but with a decent news server it's almost like
> real time posting here.

Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
chat. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 25mins
If cats and dogs can live together,
why can't men and women?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
>think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
>chat. :-)

I *know*, that's why I dropped your name as an example. Glad you're
going to post here. We'll be reading rfc and posting here too as we
cook.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> I didn't want to just butt in.

> RFC chat is open to all who are interested in participating. It's
> not an insider's clique.

I certainly know that, I'm not the one who said that it was.

Anyone is welcome.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>What's the date again?

October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>

>Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
>think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
>chat. :-)

Take pictures?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:44:33 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>>

>>Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
>>think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
>>chat. :-)

>Take pictures?

I need to order some camera batteries! I have sets that I've been
rotating in the camera, and both are dead now. Actually, I need to
test them in another camera before I throw them away. Maybe it's the
camera and not the batteries.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:44:33p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>>>

>>Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
>>think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
>>chat. :-)

> Take pictures?
>
> Christine

I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so I'll
probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 2mins
'Hullo' -Rupert Brooke (1887-1915),
English poet, last word
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:43:47p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>What's the date again?

> October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.
>
> Christine

Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 10hrs 1mins
The human's food is meant to be shared
with the cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:41:47p, told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:36:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Christine says that I don't have to chat in order to participate, so I
>>think I will make my minestrone and post the results. You *know* I don't
>>chat. :-)

> I *know*, that's why I dropped your name as an example. Glad you're
> going to post here. We'll be reading rfc and posting here too as we
> cook.

Heh, I didn't read your whole post, so missed my name. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 9hrs 58mins
GURU: One who knows more jargon than you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:58:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so I'll
>probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from batteries.com a
couple of years ago and they were just fine until a few weeks ago.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 02:08:25p, told us...

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:58:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I ordered new batteries for my camera and they aren't worth a damn, so
>>I'll probably have to get some more. These won't hold a charge at all.

> Where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from batteries.com a
> couple of years ago and they were just fine until a few weeks ago.

I got mine direct from http://www.delkin.com/

I have a Kodak digital that takes a rather odd battery. Kodak makes them,
but I read a review that recommended the Delkin equivalent over the Kodak
original. The next ones I buy will be Kodak.

I bought my camera in 1998 or 1999 and it came with the battery. The
original battery lasted until this past Spring. I thought that was
incredible, and they seemed to hold a charge almost indefinitely

With the Delkin battery I'm lucky to get a few hours out of them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 9hrs 21mins
I never said all Democrats were
saloonkeepers; what I said was all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:59:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>>What's the date again?

>> October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.
>>
>> Christine
>>

>Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

I have been reading about minestrone on and off this afternoon. I
have the latest John Thorne book, Mouth Wide Open, and he has a
chapter all about minestrone. The first example of minestrone he
gave, was the one you posted. I had to laugh...LOL.

He says it is extremely good. He also gave other versions, which
also look very good.

I found a great looking recipe in Lynn Rosetta Kasper's book, The
Italian Country Table, as well. Lidia also has a version in her
Italian American Table book.

Haven't gotten around to all the other Italian cookbooks I have, nor
the books on soup.

Beans seem to be a constant in minestrone: sometimes canellini beans,
sometimes cranberry beans. I have both, but I adore cranberry beans,
and I will probably use those.

Sometimes a parmesan rind is considered a necessity, but it depends on
the cook.

Some folks seem to use broth, and others just water. I haven't
decided yet which route I am going to go.

I am also seeing a few folks use prosciutto or pancetta, and in one
case (can't remember who at the moment) both are used.

In it's most elaborate form, minestrone seems to be a full meal soup.
Others seem lighter... I am leaning towards full meal type. And I am
thinking that a salad, bread and maybe a fruit dessert to round it
out. And since I love antipasti, I might add that....if I find a
complementary one.

Maybe I should invite company...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 05:59:03p, Christine Dabney told us...

>>> October 25th. Sometime in the afternoon, so soup can be dinner.
>>>
>>> Christine
>>>

>>Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar.

> I have been reading about minestrone on and off this afternoon. I
> have the latest John Thorne book, Mouth Wide Open, and he has a
> chapter all about minestrone. The first example of minestrone he
> gave, was the one you posted. I had to laugh...LOL.

That is funny, and odd. :-)

> He says it is extremely good. He also gave other versions, which
> also look very good.

One of the reasons I particularly like this one is that I like "thick"
soups and this one suits me. I'm not fond of brothy soups with random bits
and pieces floating about.

> I found a great looking recipe in Lynn Rosetta Kasper's book, The
> Italian Country Table, as well. Lidia also has a version in her
> Italian American Table book.
>
> Haven't gotten around to all the other Italian cookbooks I have, nor
> the books on soup.

Lord knows you have more cookbooks than anyone I know, so you probably have
countless recipes for minestrone at your fingetips. :-)

> Beans seem to be a constant in minestrone: sometimes canellini beans,
> sometimes cranberry beans. I have both, but I adore cranberry beans,
> and I will probably use those.

I also lean toward cranberry beans, but I'll probably use canellini beans
this time since I have them on hand.

> Sometimes a parmesan rind is considered a necessity, but it depends on
> the cook.

Having used both rind and just adding fresh parmegiano near the end of
cooking, I think I prefer the latter. SEems toa dd more flavor.

> Some folks seem to use broth, and others just water. I haven't
> decided yet which route I am going to go.

I must have broth, though I don't much care whether it's beef or chicken.

> I am also seeing a few folks use prosciutto or pancetta, and in one
> case (can't remember who at the moment) both are used.

I've never made or eaten minestrone with any meat in it. Not saying it
wouldn't be good. Just haven't tried it. If I were to add one, I would
probably use pancetta. Think the flavor would be more compatible.

> In it's most elaborate form, minestrone seems to be a full meal soup.
> Others seem lighter... I am leaning towards full meal type. And I am
> thinking that a salad, bread and maybe a fruit dessert to round it
> out. And since I love antipasti, I might add that....if I find a
> complementary one.

I've always served it as the main course, often with bruschetta, but never
thought of a salad. It's a hearty meal, and I like it with the full slice
garlic bread crouton with pesto, even with the bruschetta on the side.

> Maybe I should invite company...

In a perfect world, we would all fly to your house and cook pots and pots
of minestrone. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 4hrs 51mins
Taglines are like cats, you only think
you own them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill replied to nancy:

>> Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
>> minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
>> thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
>> at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
>> have any.
>>

> Of course you're invited! Everyone's invited!
>
> Jill <--has to remember the parmagiana at least as a finishing touch

The rinds are supposed to cook a long time, so they soften and release
flavor into the soup. The finishing touch would be grated parmagiana itself,
rather than the rind.

I want to try adding some trotter stock for heft, and a combination of V-8
and carrot juice at the last minute for flavor.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote to Christine:

> In a perfect world, we would all fly to your house and cook pots and pots
> of minestrone. :-)

In a perfect world, all the pots would be self-cleaning, too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:32:16 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>The rinds are supposed to cook a long time, so they soften and release
>flavor into the soup. The finishing touch would be grated parmagiana itself,
>rather than the rind.
>
>I want to try adding some trotter stock for heft, and a combination of V-8
>and carrot juice at the last minute for flavor.
>
>Bob

Are you joining the cookalong? I think you said you had to
work...but are you designating Lin to be your proxy?

Christine

Soups On! 3-12-11 sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 13-03-2011 08:52 PM
Soups Jen P. General Cooking 8 28-11-2009 12:14 AM
I tried the new V8 Soups Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 19 22-10-2008 05:00 AM
Soups on hahabogus General Cooking 1 23-03-2008 06:22 PM
Can soups without MSG? Richard Miller Vegan 3 19-01-2004 10:24 AM