FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/162596-pepperidge-farms-mummy-bread.html)

notbob 10-10-2008 07:48 PM

Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread?

I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go into,
left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos ago. Lo and
behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!

To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without molding,
for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in fact, 2 of
those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially cool climes
during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in late Sept, it was
literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc, and the the flavor quite
enjoyable. WTF!?

Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to last
forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect combination
of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to wonder. BTW, PF
breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat at a minor reduced
cost. Check it out.

nb ....jes mumbling

Sqwertz[_27_] 10-10-2008 08:00 PM

notbob wrote:

> I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread

Is this bread measured in grains-per-inch, kinda like threads-per-inch
or shrimp-per-pound?

> and for reasons I will not go into,
> left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos ago. Lo and
> behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!

I don't usually buy these kinds of breads, but I bought one of those
loaves of runted, very thin sandwich bread a few months ago to make
shrimp toast. The things lasted 7 weeks on the counter after it was
opened. It probably would have lasted for another month at least had it
not all finally been used up.

It's kinda scarry, isn't it? You think these breads are wholesome and
nutritious, but have a mysterious shelf-life that rivals that of
Twinkies and Ho-Ho's.

-sw

Dimitri 10-10-2008 08:33 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go into,
> left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos ago. Lo
> and
> behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!
>
> To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without
> molding,
> for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in fact, 2 of
> those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially cool climes
> during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in late Sept, it was
> literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc, and the the flavor
> quite
> enjoyable. WTF!?
>
> Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to last
> forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect combination
> of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to wonder. BTW, PF
> breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat at a minor reduced
> cost. Check it out.
>
> nb ....jes mumbling

Preservatives?

Campbell Soup Company, one of the largest and most highly respected food
companies in North America, acquires Pepperidge Farm in 1961.

America gets its first taste of Goldfish crackers in 1962. Margaret Rudkin
discovers the snack cracker on a trip to Switzerland and returns with the
recipe.

The Margaret Rudkin Pepperidge Farm Cookbook becomes the first cookbook to
chart on The New York Times Bestseller List in 1963.

Margaret Rudkin officially retires from Pepperidge Farm in 1966.

Dimitri

Gregory Morrow[_93_] 10-10-2008 09:26 PM

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> notbob > :
> in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go
> > into, left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos
> > ago. Lo and behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste.
> > Excellent!!
> >
> > To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without
> > molding, for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in
> > fact, 2 of those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially
> > cool climes during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in
> > late Sept, it was literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc,
> > and the the flavor quite enjoyable. WTF!?
> >
> > Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to
> > last forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect
> > combination of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to
> > wonder. BTW, PF breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat
> > at a minor reduced cost. Check it out.
> >
> > nb ....jes mumbling

> OMG!!!! Sell it on eBay and retire forever ;-) Someone out there will
> surely want it.

It'd *really* be worth something if one of the slices had a "picture" of
Obama or Sarah Palin or the Virgin Mary on it...

--
Best
Greg

notbob 10-10-2008 11:08 PM

On 2008-10-10, Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> It'd *really* be worth something if one of the slices had a "picture" of
> Obama or Sarah Palin or the Virgin Mary on it...

LOL!

notbob 10-10-2008 11:10 PM

On 2008-10-10, Dimitri > wrote:

> Preservatives?
>
> Campbell Soup Company, one of the largest and most highly respected food
> companies in North America......

by who(m)?

> America gets its first taste of Goldfish crackers in 1962. Margaret Rudkin
> discovers the snack cracker on a trip to Switzerland and returns with the
> recipe.
>
> The Margaret Rudkin Pepperidge Farm Cookbook becomes the first cookbook to
> chart on The New York Times Bestseller List in 1963.
>
> Margaret Rudkin officially retires from Pepperidge Farm in 1966.

Your point being? Is Margaret in my shed and hasn't begun to mold????

nb

Gregory Morrow[_93_] 10-10-2008 11:31 PM

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-10-10, Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>
> > It'd *really* be worth something if one of the slices had a "picture" of
> > Obama or Sarah Palin or the Virgin Mary on it...

> LOL!

Last year or so someone here found a tater chip shaped like the state of
Illannoy, IIRC it was sold for a few hundred bux on eBay...

Then there are also those "weeping" Virgin Mary's or Jesuses found on the
walls of dripping highway underpasses and elsewheres, the suckers always
fall for them and the suckers are usually taken for some dough for the
"believers".

Hard to believe that peeps still fall for this stuff...

--
Best
Greg

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] 11-10-2008 02:16 AM

Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread?

On Fri 10 Oct 2008 11:48:02a, notbob told us...

> I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go
> into, left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos
> ago. Lo and behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!
>
> To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without
> molding, for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in
> fact, 2 of those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially
> cool climes during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in late
> Sept, it was literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc, and the
> the flavor quite enjoyable. WTF!?
>
> Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to last
> forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect
> combination of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to
> wonder. BTW, PF breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat
> at a minor reduced cost. Check it out.
>
> nb ....jes mumbling

Jes think what Pepperidge Farms could do for people?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 3dys 5hrs 49mins
It doesn't have to make sense. It
just has to work.

Pennyaline[_7_] 12-10-2008 04:28 AM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Jes think what Pepperidge Farms could do for people?

It's all an attempt to preserve days gone by turned horribly wrong.

< 'b'cause Pepperidge Faaaaahms remembahs >

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] 12-10-2008 04:32 AM

Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread?

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 08:28:06p, Pennyaline told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Jes think what Pepperidge Farms could do for people?
> >

> It's all an attempt to preserve days gone by turned horribly wrong.
>
> < 'b'cause Pepperidge Faaaaahms remembahs >

LOLOL!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)