Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Fried Hamburgers?

From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe a
couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is Serious
OVERKILL.

CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
- makes 4 servings -

Adapted from Eat me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny
Shopsin.
Ingredients:

Peanut oil for deep frying
1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)
Salt and pepper
4 extra-large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
All-purpose flour for dredging
Butter for the buns
4 martin's potato buns, or whatever hamburger bun you like
Whatever burger accoutrements you like

Procedu

1. Preheat a deep fryer or a large potful of peanut oil over high heat to
375ºF.

2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties, flattening them slightly.
Season the patties with salt and pepper.

3. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a shallow bowl. Put the flour in a
separate bowl or pie pan. Dredge one of the hamburger patties in the flour
and brush off the excess. (This is important. If you don't brush off the
excess flour, it will fall off in the fryer and you will end up with bald
spots on your burger crust.) Dunk the floured patty in the egg-and-cream
mixture, lift, drain, and repeat, dumping the patties back in the flour and
then back in the egg and cream, until you have gone through the process a
total of three times. Now you should have a reasonably heavy coating, and
you'll also have a hardened coating on your fingers because for some reason
it sticks to your fingers even better than it sticks to the burgers.

4. Carefully place the burger in the oil and repeat with the remaining
burgers, being careful not to overcrowd the deep fryer or pot. Cook the
burgers for 3 or 4 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. While the
burgers are cooking, butter and lightly toast the buns in whatever way is
convenient for you. Serve deep-fried burgers like you would any hamburger,
on toasted buns with whatever s--- you like.

Not for me, thanks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and
> maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This
> is Serious OVERKILL.
>
> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
> - makes 4 servings -
>
> Adapted from Eat me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny
> Shopsin.
> Ingredients:
>
> Peanut oil for deep frying
> 1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)
> Salt and pepper
> 4 extra-large eggs
> 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
> All-purpose flour for dredging
> Butter for the buns
> 4 martin's potato buns, or whatever hamburger bun you like
> Whatever burger accoutrements you like
>
> Procedu
>
> 1. Preheat a deep fryer or a large potful of peanut oil over high heat
> to 375ºF.
>
> 2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties, flattening them slightly.
> Season the patties with salt and pepper.
>
> 3. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a shallow bowl. Put the flour in
> a separate bowl or pie pan. Dredge one of the hamburger patties in the
> flour and brush off the excess. (This is important. If you don't brush
> off the excess flour, it will fall off in the fryer and you will end up
> with bald spots on your burger crust.) Dunk the floured patty in the
> egg-and-cream mixture, lift, drain, and repeat, dumping the patties back
> in the flour and then back in the egg and cream, until you have gone
> through the process a total of three times. Now you should have a
> reasonably heavy coating, and you'll also have a hardened coating on
> your fingers because for some reason it sticks to your fingers even
> better than it sticks to the burgers.
>
> 4. Carefully place the burger in the oil and repeat with the remaining
> burgers, being careful not to overcrowd the deep fryer or pot. Cook the
> burgers for 3 or 4 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. While the
> burgers are cooking, butter and lightly toast the buns in whatever way
> is convenient for you. Serve deep-fried burgers like you would any
> hamburger, on toasted buns with whatever s--- you like.
>
> Not for me, thanks.
>
> Jill

How can you form chopped meat into patties?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Scott queried about the burgers:

> How can you form chopped meat into patties?

I suspect that 20-30% fat content, and the meat being very cold, would
make it easy to form patties. I noticed that there weren't any other
fillers used for binding.

That's way too much fat for my liking ... and then to dredge and deep
fry it! EEEEK!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
>> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.
>>
>> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
>> - makes 4 servings -
>>
>> Adapted from Eat me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by
>> Kenny Shopsin.
>> Ingredients:
>>
>> Peanut oil for deep frying
>> 1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)
>> Salt and pepper
>> 4 extra-large eggs
>> 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
>> All-purpose flour for dredging
>> Butter for the buns
>> 4 martin's potato buns, or whatever hamburger bun you like
>> Whatever burger accoutrements you like
>>
>> Procedu
>>
>> 1. Preheat a deep fryer or a large potful of peanut oil over high
>> heat to 375ºF.
>>
>> 2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties, flattening them
>> slightly. Season the patties with salt and pepper.
>>
>> 3. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a shallow bowl. Put the
>> flour in a separate bowl or pie pan. Dredge one of the hamburger
>> patties in the flour and brush off the excess. (This is important.
>> If you don't brush off the excess flour, it will fall off in the
>> fryer and you will end up with bald spots on your burger crust.) Dunk the
>> floured patty in the egg-and-cream mixture, lift, drain,
>> and repeat, dumping the patties back in the flour and then back in
>> the egg and cream, until you have gone through the process a total
>> of three times. Now you should have a reasonably heavy coating, and
>> you'll also have a hardened coating on your fingers because for some
>> reason it sticks to your fingers even better than it sticks to the
>> burgers. 4. Carefully place the burger in the oil and repeat with the
>> remaining burgers, being careful not to overcrowd the deep fryer or
>> pot. Cook the burgers for 3 or 4 minutes, until the crust is golden
>> brown. While the burgers are cooking, butter and lightly toast the
>> buns in whatever way is convenient for you. Serve deep-fried burgers
>> like you would any hamburger, on toasted buns with whatever s--- you
>> like. Not for me, thanks.
>>

> How can you form chopped meat into patties?

I could only guess the flour, egg & cream "batter" would help hold the
chopped meat mixture together (along with the high fat content of the beef
itself?)

Back in Memphis there was (and may still be) deep fried Dyer hamburgers, an
establishment dating way back. But they aren't battered and fried and they
aren't made with fatty ground beef. The beef has to be ground round so as
not to fall apart in the very hot peanut oil.

Is Serious Eats a Food Network thing? And I've no idea how I wound up
getting their email newsletter. This certainly isn't something I'd think
about trying.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe a
> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is Serious
> OVERKILL.

It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with mashed
potatoes, what's the big deal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
>> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.

> It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with
> mashed potatoes, what's the big deal?

The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I said, I
eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting like deep fried
battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious Eats? Serious FAT.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
> >> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
> >> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
> >> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.

> > It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with
> > mashed potatoes, what's the big deal?

> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I said, I
> eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting like deep fried
> battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious Eats? Serious FAT.
>
> Jill

Serious fat, just like CFS. I don't see a difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe a
> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is Serious
> OVERKILL.

LOL. Such 'battered' burgers are a staple of London fish and chip shops.
It's chicken-fried steak of a sort.

> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
> - makes 4 servings -
>
> Adapted from Eat me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny
> Shopsin.
> Ingredients:
>
> Peanut oil for deep frying
> 1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)
> Salt and pepper
> 4 extra-large eggs
> 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
> All-purpose flour for dredging
> Butter for the buns
> 4 martin's potato buns, or whatever hamburger bun you like
> Whatever burger accoutrements you like
>
> Procedu
>
> 1. Preheat a deep fryer or a large potful of peanut oil over high heat to
> 375ºF.
>
> 2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties, flattening them slightly.
> Season the patties with salt and pepper.
>
> 3. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a shallow bowl. Put the flour in a
> separate bowl or pie pan. Dredge one of the hamburger patties in the flour
> and brush off the excess. (This is important. If you don't brush off the
> excess flour, it will fall off in the fryer and you will end up with bald
> spots on your burger crust.) Dunk the floured patty in the egg-and-cream
> mixture, lift, drain, and repeat, dumping the patties back in the flour and
> then back in the egg and cream, until you have gone through the process a
> total of three times. Now you should have a reasonably heavy coating, and
> you'll also have a hardened coating on your fingers because for some reason
> it sticks to your fingers even better than it sticks to the burgers.
>
> 4. Carefully place the burger in the oil and repeat with the remaining
> burgers, being careful not to overcrowd the deep fryer or pot. Cook the
> burgers for 3 or 4 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. While the
> burgers are cooking, butter and lightly toast the buns in whatever way is
> convenient for you. Serve deep-fried burgers like you would any hamburger,
> on toasted buns with whatever s--- you like.
>
> Not for me, thanks.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> From the Serious Eats newsletter....
>
> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS

> 1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)

> 2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties

7oz patties? They must have cut the portion sizes down an ounce to
appeal to those who may be on diets.

C'mon folks... 2lbs of meat and nice, even, half-pound burgers.
When have you ever seen a "7oz burger" on a menu?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott > wrote:

> How can you form chopped meat into patties?

They mean ground beef, or any other kind of ground meat. "chopped"
just sounds more appealing to people.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:

> It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with mashed
> potatoes, what's the big deal?

It has a higher fat content than the traditionally lean and tough
cuts used for CFS.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with
>>> mashed potatoes, what's the big deal?

>> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I said, I
>> eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting like deep fried
>> battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious Eats? Serious FAT.
>>
>> Jill

> Serious fat, just like CFS. I don't see a difference.

7oz of 30% ground beef is 2.1 ounces (58 grams) of fat that won't
render out thanks to the battering of the patty. Beef used for CFS
isn't 30% fat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe a
> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is Serious
> OVERKILL.
>
> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
> - makes 4 servings -

<grins>

Well, there is always this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

Chicken fried bacon strips...

Even I'll draw the line at that. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

> > 1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)

> > 2. Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties, flattening them slightly.

> How can you form chopped meat into patties?

With your hands. "Chopped meat" is just a fancy phrase for hamburger.
Perhaps some places do actually chop it, rather than grind it, but the
effect is the same. Martin Yan likes to chop meat. He takes two
chinese cleavers, one in each hand, and whacks the meat until it looks
like hamburger.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
>> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe
>> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is
>> Serious
>> OVERKILL.
>>
>> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
>> - makes 4 servings -

> <grins>
>
> Well, there is always this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU
>
> Chicken fried bacon strips...
>
> Even I'll draw the line at that. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

On the Food Network, the new guy, Michael Symon, on Dinner Impossible served
chocolate dipped bacon!

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>>> and maybe a
>>> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is
>>> Serious
>>> OVERKILL.
>>>
>>> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
>>> - makes 4 servings -

>> <grins>
>>
>> Well, there is always this:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU
>>
>> Chicken fried bacon strips...
>>
>> Even I'll draw the line at that. <g>
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> On the Food Network, the new guy, Michael Symon, on Dinner Impossible
> served chocolate dipped bacon!
>
> -sw

No way! I missed that one. That's a bit over the top. Criminey!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
> - makes 4 servings -

You should know that by posting the entire recipe, even with your distaste
clearly written, you have now become "that chicken-fried burger lady," much
like Nancy is inescapably "that grape-jelly meatball lady."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
>> - makes 4 servings -

> You should know that by posting the entire recipe, even with your
> distaste clearly written, you have now become "that chicken-fried
> burger lady," much like Nancy is inescapably "that grape-jelly
> meatball lady."
> Bob

LOL She's also the ham in plastic wrap lady, though. So she still has me
beat!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
>>> - makes 4 servings -

>> You should know that by posting the entire recipe, even with your
>> distaste clearly written, you have now become "that chicken-fried
>> burger lady," much like Nancy is inescapably "that grape-jelly
>> meatball lady."
>> Bob

> LOL She's also the ham in plastic wrap lady, though. So she still
> has me beat!
>
> Jill

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I
>>> said, I eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting
>>> like deep fried battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious
>>> Eats? Serious FAT.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Serious fat, just like CFS. I don't see a difference.

> 7oz of 30% ground beef is 2.1 ounces (58 grams) of fat that won't
> render out thanks to the battering of the patty. Beef used for CFS
> isn't 30% fat.
>
> -sw

You're right. Proper CFS is made with tenderized round steak rather than
really fatty ground beef

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
>> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.

> LOL. Such 'battered' burgers are a staple of London fish and chip
> shops. It's chicken-fried steak of a sort.

There aren't even any of the crummy U.S. chain places for fish & chips
around here

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> With your hands. "Chopped meat" is just a fancy phrase for hamburger.
> Perhaps some places do actually chop it, rather than grind it, but the
> effect is the same. Martin Yan likes to chop meat. He takes two
> chinese cleavers, one in each hand, and whacks the meat until it looks
> like hamburger.

My husband calls it "chopped meat", I eventually figured out he was
talking about ground beef.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Pete C. wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>>> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
>>> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.

>> It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with
>> mashed potatoes, what's the big deal?

> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I said, I
> eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting like deep
> fried battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious Eats? Serious FAT.
>
> Jill

I think you have a serious hard-on for fried foods. You frequently deride
them.
In the guise of informing the rest of us of the dangers of such foods, you
smugly infer that you are oh-so-virtuous because you abstain and disdain
such foods.
Yeah. Ok. We get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Paco wrote:
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> <grins>
>>>
>>> Well, there is always this:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU
>>>
>>> Chicken fried bacon strips...
>>>
>>> Even I'll draw the line at that. <g>
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om

>> On the Food Network, the new guy, Michael Symon, on Dinner Impossible
>> served chocolate dipped bacon!
>>
>> -sw

> No way! I missed that one. That's a bit over the top. Criminey!
>
> kili

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> It's essentially chicken fried steak on a bun, vs on a plate with
>>> mashed potatoes, what's the big deal?

>> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? As I
>> said, I eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. They're acting
>> like deep fried battered hamburger is a great new idea. Serious
>> Eats? Serious FAT. Jill

> I think you have a serious hard-on for fried foods. You frequently
> deride them.
> In the guise of informing the rest of us of the dangers of such
> foods, you smugly infer that you are oh-so-virtuous because you
> abstain and disdain such foods.
> Yeah. Ok. We get it.

I think you have a serious problem with replying to all my posts, most of
which have nothing to do with deep fried anything. But you know, as long as
you bring it up... most people I know don't own a deep fryer nor to we eat
at KFC.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you".
>> Talk about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak
>> and maybe a couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a
>> year. This is Serious OVERKILL.

> I'd try it at least once Paula Deen would not approve. It lacks a
> pound or 2 of butter
>
> Michael

Gawd, I can't stand her! LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paco" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
> >> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe
> >> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is
> >> Serious
> >> OVERKILL.
> >>
> >> CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS
> >> - makes 4 servings -

> > <grins>
> >
> > Well, there is always this:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU
> >
> > Chicken fried bacon strips...
> >
> > Even I'll draw the line at that. <g>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> On the Food Network, the new guy, Michael Symon, on Dinner Impossible served
> chocolate dipped bacon!
>
> -sw

<shudder> That's just NASTY!!!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
> > From the Serious Eats newsletter....

> > CHICKEN-FRIED HAMBURGERS

> > �1 3/4 pounds chopped meat (20 to 30 percent fat)

> > �2. �Form the meat into four 7-ounce patties

> 7oz patties? �They must have cut the portion sizes down an ounce to
> appeal to those who may be on diets.
>
> C'mon folks... 2lbs of meat and nice, even, half-pound burgers.
> When have you ever seen a "7oz burger" on a menu?

A quarter pounder mystery meat booger shrouded with three ounces of
rancid fat soaked breading... normal folks ain't gonna deep fry
burgers made with freshly ground at home beef. Only a TIAD shit eater
would consume chicky fried boogers... even more nefarious than corn
dogies

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 11:08�am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> dejablues wrote:

> >> The big deal is why is a food newsletter recommending this? �As I
> >> said, I eat chicken fried steak maybe twice a year. �They're acting
> >> like deep fried battered hamburger is a great new idea. �Serious
> >> Eats? �Serious FAT. Jill

> > I think you have a serious hard-on for fried foods. You frequently
> > deride them.
> > In the guise of informing the rest of us of the dangers of such
> > foods, you smugly infer that you are oh-so-virtuous because you
> > abstain and disdain such foods.
> > Yeah. Ok. We get it.

> I think you have a serious problem with replying to all my posts, most of
> which have nothing to do with deep fried anything. �But you know, as long as
> you bring it up... most people I know don't own a deep fryer.

Well, anyone who owns even a cheapo aluminum sauce pan has a deep
fryer, just ain't fancy schmancy automatic... many world class
professional chefs wouldn't deep fry any other way but with a wok.
But still, anyone who'd eat deep fried burgers is definitely afflicted
with a serious case of TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> From the Serious Eats newsletter. I give it a huge "no thank you". Talk
> about overly fatty fried food! I only eat chicken fried steak and maybe a
> couple of pieces of deep fried chicken maybe twice a year. This is Serious
> OVERKILL.

The snack bar at my college (lots of years ago) sold "steak sandwiches"
-- hamburger patties breaded and deep-fried, on a bun with mayo,
lettuce, and tomato. And I'd add LOTS of black pepper. Yummmm.

Isaac