Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Classic vs Not So Classic Banana Pudding

Do you prefer the classic with meringue, or the easier less classic
version with whipped cream on top?
Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
fridge. Any solutions??

I'm using Mike Van Pelt's recipe he posted here-

Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding

Pudding

* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 4 egg yolks
* 1 box of vanilla Wafers
* 4-5 ripe bananas

Meringue

* 4 egg whites, at room temperature
* 5 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F

Line the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish with a layer of
vanilla wafers. (This recipe will not use the whole box, so
you may snack along the way, but don't get carried away.)

Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds. Cover the
banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening,
and quickly make your pudding.

Combine the sugar, flour and salt in bowl, mix well, and set
aside.

In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks well (just use a fork
or a whisk, but beat well). Over medium heat, add the flour
mixture to the egg yolks, alternately, with the milk and
vanilla, stirring constantly.

Bring to a gentle boil and, when mixture begins to thicken,
add butter, continuing to stir to prevent scorching. When
the mixture reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat.

Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top
of the vanilla wafers. Pour, spreading as necessary, half
of the pudding over the wafers and banana slices. Put
down another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of
bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.

For the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer
until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
meringue over the pudding.

Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
15 minutes, depending upon your oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Do you prefer the classic with meringue, or the
> easier less classic version with whipped cream
> on top?

This is a no brainer... whipped cream is always better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Do you prefer the classic with meringue, or the easier less classic
> version with whipped cream on top?
> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
> fridge. Any solutions??
>
> I'm using Mike Van Pelt's recipe he posted here-
>
> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding
>
> Pudding
>
> * 1 cup sugar
> * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
> * 2 cups milk
> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> * 1 tablespoon butter
> * 4 egg yolks
> * 1 box of vanilla Wafers
> * 4-5 ripe bananas
>
> Meringue
>
> * 4 egg whites, at room temperature
> * 5 tablespoons sugar
> * 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
> * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> Preheat oven to 375F
>
> Line the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish with a layer of
> vanilla wafers. (This recipe will not use the whole box, so
> you may snack along the way, but don't get carried away.)
>
> Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds. Cover the
> banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening,
> and quickly make your pudding.
>
> Combine the sugar, flour and salt in bowl, mix well, and set
> aside.
>
> In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks well (just use a fork
> or a whisk, but beat well). Over medium heat, add the flour
> mixture to the egg yolks, alternately, with the milk and
> vanilla, stirring constantly.
>
> Bring to a gentle boil and, when mixture begins to thicken,
> add butter, continuing to stir to prevent scorching. When
> the mixture reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat.
>
> Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top
> of the vanilla wafers. Pour, spreading as necessary, half
> of the pudding over the wafers and banana slices. Put
> down another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of
> bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.
>
> For the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer
> until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
> time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
> formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
> meringue over the pudding.
>
> Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
> 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

Some Texan friends were recently discussing this elsewhere. I
don't THINK the meringue is classic.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 9:57*am, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Some Texan friends were recently discussing this elsewhere. *I
> don't THINK the meringue is classic.
>

> Jean B.

My mom made homemade 'naner puddin' starting in the 40's and it always
had meringue on top. This was long before CoolWhip or DreamWhip were
thought of. The original recipe on the vanilla wafers called for
meringue, but anything goes now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Oct 7, 9:57 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>> Some Texan friends were recently discussing this elsewhere. I
>> don't THINK the meringue is classic.
>>

>> Jean B.
>>

> My mom made homemade 'naner puddin' starting in the 40's and it always
> had meringue on top. This was long before CoolWhip or DreamWhip were
> thought of. The original recipe on the vanilla wafers called for
> meringue, but anything goes now.

My Mom was making homemade banana pudding in the forties and fifties and
it never, ever, had meringue or anything else on top. I guess it's a
regional thang. I'm a Native Texican by the way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Oct 7, 9:57 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>> Some Texan friends were recently discussing this elsewhere. I
>> don't THINK the meringue is classic.
>>

>> Jean B.
>>

> My mom made homemade 'naner puddin' starting in the 40's and it always
> had meringue on top. This was long before CoolWhip or DreamWhip were
> thought of. The original recipe on the vanilla wafers called for
> meringue, but anything goes now.

Oh, of course, it wouldn't have those man-made thangs on top,
whether or not it featured meringue.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 10:25:50a, Jean B. told us...

> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 9:57 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>>
>>> Some Texan friends were recently discussing this elsewhere. I
>>> don't THINK the meringue is classic.
>>>

>>> Jean B.
>>>

>> My mom made homemade 'naner puddin' starting in the 40's and it always
>> had meringue on top. This was long before CoolWhip or DreamWhip were
>> thought of. The original recipe on the vanilla wafers called for
>> meringue, but anything goes now.
>>

> Oh, of course, it wouldn't have those man-made thangs on top,
> whether or not it featured meringue.

I much prefer it with meringue on top. My grandmother, mother, and I
always make it that way.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 12hrs 39mins
Did you expect mere proof to sway my
opinion?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 06:53:32a, Goomba told us...

> Do you prefer the classic with meringue, or the easier less classic
> version with whipped cream on top?

I much prefer the classic meringue topping.

> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
> fridge. Any solutions??

You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
parchment paper. Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
transfer to the pudding just before serving.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 12hrs 37mins
Life is sometimes like a pizza round:
hot, greasy, and delivered by a guy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
>> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
>> fridge. Any solutions??

> You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
> parchment paper. Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
> transfer to the pudding just before serving.

Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
THANK YOU!!!
(I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 05:08:04p, Goomba told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
>>> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
>>> fridge. Any solutions??

>> You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
>> parchment paper. Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
>> transfer to the pudding just before serving.
>>

> Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
> the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
> THANK YOU!!!
> (I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
> and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)

Absolutely you can. I used to do this for my lemon meringue pie all the time
because I wanted the lemon filling to be extremely well chilled.

Having said that, I later found a meringue formula and method that works well
being baked on the pie and then refrigerated, but I'm not sure I would
recommend it for the pudding, unless you also bake the meringue separately.

I'm posting the entire pie recipe below so that you can compare the meringue
recipe and method. Also, if you like lemon meringue pie, this one will
really knock your socks off!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Epicurious Lemon Meringue Pie Ii

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Pastry
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
5 ounces vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons ice water
Filling
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large egg yolks
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1/4 stick)
Meringue
7 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 2/3 cups powdered sugar

For crust, combine flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour mixture until
the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time over
mixture, tossing mixture lightly with 2 forks. When most of water has been
added, press mixture together. If it doesn't hold together in a mass, add
the additional ice water until it does. Gently press mixture into a ball,
flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 1 hour.

Roll pastry to 1/8 inch thick between to large squares of plastic wrap which
has been dusted lightly with flour. Fit pastry into deep pie pan, trim
edges, and crimp a high border on crust. Prick surface of crust uniformly
with a fork. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before baking.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line inside of pastry with foil or baking
parchment. Fill with pie weights or dried rice or beans. Bake in preheated
oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil or paper and weights, and return to oven.
Bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven
and cool completely before filling.

Whisk first 7 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Using whisk,
stir over medium heat until filling thickens and just begins to boil, about
20 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Spoon hot filling into
prepared crust.

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large stainless steel bowl at low
speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon sugar.

Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat at medium
speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.

Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to
crust edges and mounding in center.

Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F and continue to
bake until meringue is golden brown and set when pie is shaken slightly,
about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely, about 4 hours.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 6hrs 34mins
Beam me up Scotty. This isn't the
men's room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
>>> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
>>> fridge. Any solutions??

>> You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
>> parchment paper. Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
>> transfer to the pudding just before serving.
>>

> Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
> the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
> THANK YOU!!!
> (I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
> and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)

That sounds good except for the "transfer to the pudding" part.
Will it stick to the parchment or slide off easily?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 06:16:25p, Gloria P told us...

> Goomba wrote:

>>> You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
>>> parchment paper. Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
>>> transfer to the pudding just before serving.
>>>

>> Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
>> the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
>> THANK YOU!!!
>> (I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
>> and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)

> That sounds good except for the "transfer to the pudding" part.
> Will it stick to the parchment or slide off easily?
>
> gloria p

If you lightly grease the entire sheet of parchment, as I suggested, it
slides off readily. I've never had one break.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 5hrs 43mins
The work most executives do isn't very
different from the work most
Posted to rec.food.cooking

until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
> time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
> formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
> meringue over the pudding.
>
> Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
> 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

This apparently is a pretend banana cream pie, not banana pudding. I
put meringue on pie but never on pudding.

Just make banana pudding and just before serving, garnish with a
couple fresh slices of banana and a decorative strawberry or something
similar. No meringue.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 7:08*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
> >> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
> >> fridge. Any solutions??

> > You can prepare and bake the meringue separately on lightly greased
> > parchment paper. *Store it lightly covered at room temperature, then
> > transfer to the pudding just before serving.

> Get out!??! I can!? THIS is news to me. I think I might try this. What
> the hell do I have to lose if it doesn't work? Four lousy egg whites.
> THANK YOU!!!
> (I'm not a huge meringue fan, yet find whipped cream too sweet on it,
> and prefer the finished look the meringue provides the dessert)

You can stabilize meringue pretty well by using powdered sugar instead
of granulated as the sweetener; in addition, you can add some meringue
powder to your meringue and that will help. (The same holds true for
whipped cream - no need to wait until the last minute to beat it up -
do it several hours earlier, and with powdered sugar and meringue
powder, it will hold nicely.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> This apparently is a pretend banana cream pie, not banana pudding. I
> put meringue on pie but never on pudding.
>
> Just make banana pudding and just before serving, garnish with a
> couple fresh slices of banana and a decorative strawberry or something
> similar. No meringue.
>
> N.

<gasp!> But down south meringue is so.....classic!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> You can stabilize meringue pretty well by using powdered sugar instead
> of granulated as the sweetener; in addition, you can add some meringue
> powder to your meringue and that will help. (The same holds true for
> whipped cream - no need to wait until the last minute to beat it up -
> do it several hours earlier, and with powdered sugar and meringue
> powder, it will hold nicely.)
>
> N.

What si meringue powder and why have I never heard of it before?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> This apparently is a pretend banana cream pie, not banana pudding. I
>> put meringue on pie but never on pudding.
>>
>> Just make banana pudding and just before serving, garnish with a
>> couple fresh slices of banana and a decorative strawberry or something
>> similar. No meringue.
>>
>> N.

> <gasp!> But down south meringue is so.....classic!

You are right, it is classic. We use egg yolks to make the custard, so
we used the egg whites to make meringue. I have skipped the meringue
and used the egg whites to make Forgotten Cookies, because I prefer that
over meringue.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Do you prefer the classic with meringue, or the easier less classic
> version with whipped cream on top?
> Family and friends dinner this Thursday and I'd like to prepare most
> ahead of time. Yet I dislike the way meringue weeps when held in the
> fridge. Any solutions??

Check out http://www.zoebakes.com. Zoë is the co-author of Artisan
Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and does a wonderful dessert blog. A couple
posts back she made baked alaska with a cooked Italian meringue (I think
that's what it was) that was browned with a torch just beforfe serving.
P'raps you can find some inspiration there.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise

I got my copy of The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan: Classic DietRecipe Cards from the 1970s Food Snob®[_2_] General Cooking 3 04-04-2010 03:15 AM
Classic Cooked Egg Nog Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2005 09:03 AM
Classic Marinated Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:44 PM
Classic Pot Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:15 AM
Does Cuisinart Pro Classic come apart???? TOM KAN PA Cooking Equipment 0 24-12-2004 07:00 PM