Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

Deep Chocolate Pound Cake
http://bakedchicago.typepad.com

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons boiling water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Butter and flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan,
tapping out excess flour.

Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.
Whisk sour cream and buttermilk in small bowl.

Sift cocoa powder into another small bowl. Whisk in honey and 2
tablespoons boiling water until smooth. Cool completely.

Using mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until light
and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, occasionally
scraping down bowl. Beat in vanilla. Add cocoa mixture, stir until
smooth, and occasionally scrape down sides. Beat in flour mixture,
alternately with sour cream mixture, in 2 additions each until just
blended. Stir in chocolate chunks.

Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake until tester
inserted comes out clean, about 1 hour and 8 minutes. Remove cake
from pan and cool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

WindyCityPrince wrote:

> Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

recipe & website snipped

This persona seems to have taken this recipe for "deep chocolate pound
cake" directly from the October 2008 Bon Appetit magazine nearly word
for word, albeit with some very slight ingredient alterations and word
changes/omissions for the directions. For instance, 'milk' was changed
to 'buttermilk,' 'unsalted butter' was changed to 'butter,' 'semisweet
chocolate chips' changed to 'dark chocolate chunks,' etc. GRRRRRRR. At
least "windy city prince" could've at least cited its source for the
"inspiration"!!!!

How do I know? I just tonight finally got around to reading my Oct 2008
Bon Appetit magazine and saw this very recipe and cut it out to save for
my recipe journal(s) for future reference/use. Then, I also just
noticed this recipe (snipped here) posted to RFR tonight, too. Go
figure.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> WindyCityPrince wrote:
>> Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

> recipe & website snipped
>
> This persona seems to have taken this recipe for "deep chocolate pound
> cake" directly from the October 2008 Bon Appetit magazine nearly word
> for word, albeit with some very slight ingredient alterations and word
> changes/omissions for the directions. For instance, 'milk' was changed
> to 'buttermilk,' 'unsalted butter' was changed to 'butter,' 'semisweet
> chocolate chips' changed to 'dark chocolate chunks,' etc. GRRRRRRR. At
> least "windy city prince" could've at least cited its source for the
> "inspiration"!!!!
>
> How do I know? I just tonight finally got around to reading my Oct 2008
> Bon Appetit magazine and saw this very recipe and cut it out to save for
> my recipe journal(s) for future reference/use. Then, I also just
> noticed this recipe (snipped here) posted to RFR tonight, too. Go
> figure.
>
> Sky

Uh oh. I used to notice things like that too. It really p-ssed
me off.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> Deep Chocolate Pound Cake
> http://bakedchicago.typepad.com
>
> 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
> 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 cup sour cream
> 1/2 cup buttermilk
> 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
> 1/4 cup honey
> 2 tablespoons boiling water
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
> 2 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
>
> Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Butter and flour 9x5x3 inch loaf

pan,
> tapping out excess flour.
>
> Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.
> Whisk sour cream and buttermilk in small bowl.
>
> Sift cocoa powder into another small bowl. Whisk in honey and 2
> tablespoons boiling water until smooth. Cool completely.
>
> Using mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until

light
> and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time,

occasionally
> scraping down bowl. Beat in vanilla. Add cocoa mixture, stir until
> smooth, and occasionally scrape down sides. Beat in flour mixture,
> alternately with sour cream mixture, in 2 additions each until just
> blended. Stir in chocolate chunks.
>
> Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake until tester
> inserted comes out clean, about 1 hour and 8 minutes. Remove cake
> from pan and cool.

Hmm, yeah not very honorable, but want to
try this out some time, sounds really good....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > WindyCityPrince wrote:
> >> Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

> > recipe & website snipped
> >
> > This persona seems to have taken this recipe for "deep chocolate pound
> > cake" directly from the October 2008 Bon Appetit magazine nearly word
> > for word, albeit with some very slight ingredient alterations and word
> > changes/omissions for the directions. For instance, 'milk' was changed
> > to 'buttermilk,' 'unsalted butter' was changed to 'butter,' 'semisweet
> > chocolate chips' changed to 'dark chocolate chunks,' etc. GRRRRRRR. At
> > least "windy city prince" could've at least cited its source for the
> > "inspiration"!!!!
> >
> > How do I know? I just tonight finally got around to reading my Oct 2008
> > Bon Appetit magazine and saw this very recipe and cut it out to save for
> > my recipe journal(s) for future reference/use. Then, I also just
> > noticed this recipe (snipped here) posted to RFR tonight, too. Go
> > figure.
> >
> > Sky
> >

> Uh oh. I used to notice things like that too. It really p-ssed
> me off.

It just doesn't **** me off at all. If WindyCityPrince claimed to have
developed this recipe from scratch, that's another matter.

I'll make up a scenario, but I have no idea what actually happened.
Let's say that person A, an experienced home baker, sees this recipe in
the magazine and decides to make it for friends that are coming over
later. "A" has a big container of buttermilk, but not enough milk, there
is salted butter in the fridge but no unsalted, and no chocolate chips,
but some very good dark chocolate bars. Well, "A" prefers buttermilk,
salted butter and good chocolate. Less than a minute with a knife and
there are the dark chocolate chunks. So, "A" makes the cake, and it is
delicious. Person B asks for the recipe, and A writes it down. "A"
mentions that it came from a magazine, but several changes were made,
both to save a trip to the store and also because A likes it better. So
"B" makes the cake later and serves it to friends. C asks for the
recipe. B is thinking in her mind that it is really a recipe from A,
because of the changes, and forgets to mention that it is an adaption of
a recipe from a magazine. C makes the cake and it is wonderful, so C
shares it on a cooking group, with no claim that C developed it, but
also no mention at all of where it came from.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Sky wrote:
>> >
>> > recipe & website snipped
>> >
>> > This persona seems to have taken this recipe for "deep chocolate pound
>> > cake" directly from the October 2008 Bon Appetit magazine nearly word
>> > for word, albeit with some very slight ingredient alterations and word
>> > changes/omissions for the directions. For instance, 'milk' was changed
>> > to 'buttermilk,' 'unsalted butter' was changed to 'butter,' 'semisweet
>> > chocolate chips' changed to 'dark chocolate chunks,' etc. GRRRRRRR.
>> > At
>> > least "windy city prince" could've at least cited its source for the
>> > "inspiration"!!!!
>> >
>> > How do I know? I just tonight finally got around to reading my Oct
>> > 2008
>> > Bon Appetit magazine and saw this very recipe and cut it out to save
>> > for
>> > my recipe journal(s) for future reference/use. Then, I also just
>> > noticed this recipe (snipped here) posted to RFR tonight, too. Go
>> > figure.
>> >
>> > Sky
>> >

>> Uh oh. I used to notice things like that too. It really p-ssed
>> me off.

> It just doesn't **** me off at all. If WindyCityPrince claimed to have
> developed this recipe from scratch, that's another matter.
>
> I'll make up a scenario, but I have no idea what actually happened.
> Let's say that person A, an experienced home baker, sees this recipe in
> the magazine and decides to make it for friends that are coming over
> later. "A" has a big container of buttermilk, but not enough milk, there
> is salted butter in the fridge but no unsalted, and no chocolate chips,
> but some very good dark chocolate bars. Well, "A" prefers buttermilk,
> salted butter and good chocolate. Less than a minute with a knife and
> there are the dark chocolate chunks. So, "A" makes the cake, and it is
> delicious. Person B asks for the recipe, and A writes it down. "A"
> mentions that it came from a magazine, but several changes were made,
> both to save a trip to the store and also because A likes it better. So
> "B" makes the cake later and serves it to friends. C asks for the
> recipe. B is thinking in her mind that it is really a recipe from A,
> because of the changes, and forgets to mention that it is an adaption of
> a recipe from a magazine. C makes the cake and it is wonderful, so C
> shares it on a cooking group, with no claim that C developed it, but
> also no mention at all of where it came from.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Sort of like how there are dozens of variations for carrot cake but they're
all still carrot cake. Most baked goods have a variety of recipes and some
with only slight changes.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:32:14 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Sky wrote:
>> >
>> > recipe & website snipped
>> >
>> > This persona seems to have taken this recipe for "deep chocolate pound
>> > cake" directly from the October 2008 Bon Appetit magazine nearly word
>> > for word, albeit with some very slight ingredient alterations and word
>> > changes/omissions for the directions. For instance, 'milk' was changed
>> > to 'buttermilk,' 'unsalted butter' was changed to 'butter,' 'semisweet
>> > chocolate chips' changed to 'dark chocolate chunks,' etc. GRRRRRRR. At
>> > least "windy city prince" could've at least cited its source for the
>> > "inspiration"!!!!
>> >
>> > How do I know? I just tonight finally got around to reading my Oct 2008
>> > Bon Appetit magazine and saw this very recipe and cut it out to save for
>> > my recipe journal(s) for future reference/use. Then, I also just
>> > noticed this recipe (snipped here) posted to RFR tonight, too. Go
>> > figure.

>> Uh oh. I used to notice things like that too. It really p-ssed
>> me off.

>It just doesn't **** me off at all. If WindyCityPrince claimed to have
>developed this recipe from scratch, that's another matter.

There are only so many ways to make a cake... it would only **** me
off if somebody took 'MY' recipe and said it was their own specialty
that they'd made up all by themselves (not that I actually have any
super-special recipes). Otherwise I couldn't care less.