Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Keeping brown sugar soft

What is the tried-and-true way?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:12:29 -0400:

> What is the tried-and-true way?

I don't know any tried and true way but hardened brown sugar can be
softened by nuking. I do it by inspection.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:12:29 -0400:
>
>> What is the tried-and-true way?

> I don't know any tried and true way but hardened brown sugar can be
> softened by nuking. I do it by inspection.

Hadn't thought of that.

> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> What is the tried-and-true way?

Put a piece of bread in the container.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 03 Oct 2008 03:12:29p, Kswck told us...

> What is the tried-and-true way?

I double bag it in two freezer Zip-Loc bags, pressing the air out of each.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 3dys 7hrs 47mins
Without gratuitous sex, we would be no
better than animals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> What is the tried-and-true way?

Yep the little porous brown sugar moisturizers made from Tile/brick (brain
freeze) material (unglazed) work GREAT. The I keep the brown sugar in a
sealed container like a zip lock.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 03 Oct 2008 03:12:29p, Kswck told us...
>
>> What is the tried-and-true way?

> I double bag it in two freezer Zip-Loc bags, pressing the air out of each.

I kept my last batch in the fridge, in a plastic screw-top jar. I did
nothing to the air in the container. It lasted, without a hint of
clumping, for a year or more, until I used it up.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> What is the tried-and-true way?

http://www.sugarbearsinc.com/Merchan...Store_Code=SBI

Terracotta brown sugar bear.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > What is the tried-and-true way?

> http://www.sugarbearsinc.com/Merchan...Store_Code=SBI
>
> Terracotta brown sugar bear.
>
> Dimitri

We use tiny terracotta flower pots (an inch or so across). Soaked well
in water, scrubbed with washing-up liquid and rinsed well. Same
material, just cheaper than those discs. Needs to be rewet of course.
Stored in airtight glass jars. Even keeps the muscovado sugar soft.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 03 Oct 2008 03:12:29p, Kswck told us...
>

>>What is the tried-and-true way?

> I double bag it in two freezer Zip-Loc bags, pressing the air out of each.

That's my method, except I'm not terribly careful about pressing the air
out. When I've made an error and it does get hard, a few seconds in the
microwave restores it.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 04 Oct 2008 06:28:13a, Julia Altshuler told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 03 Oct 2008 03:12:29p, Kswck told us...
>>

>>>What is the tried-and-true way?

>> I double bag it in two freezer Zip-Loc bags, pressing the air out of

each.

> That's my method, except I'm not terribly careful about pressing the air
> out. When I've made an error and it does get hard, a few seconds in the
> microwave restores it.
>

> --Lia

Yes, the microwave softens it like magic, and I've also done this. I found
that you need to use it quickly, however, before it hardens again.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 2dys 17hrs 6mins
This is just a hobby. Pefection is not
required. Fun is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> What is the tried-and-true way?

Show it nude pictures of Phyllis Diller.

-sw

Keepimg brown sugar soft? KenK General Cooking 21 18-02-2012 04:32 PM
Why do I see BROWN SUGAR Robert of St Louis Diabetic 10 31-05-2009 06:47 PM
Keeping chocolate shiny - brown [email protected] General Cooking 10 12-10-2006 08:41 PM
Soft Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-07-2005 03:10 AM
Soft Sugar Cookies with Sour Cream Al B Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2004 02:02 AM