Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No savings in home gardening?

In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Mikie

Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mikie wrote:
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Mikie

It certainly can be measured in dollars when it comes down to harvest
and storage of surplus veggies. At that point in the game, there is
absolutely no difference between the two methods of agriculture.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mikie" wrote in message
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Mikie

Add the value of your labor to the costs and see where you are.

Economies of scale would make it unprofitable.

No differential for quality as the perception of quality is arbitrary and
intangible.

Dimitri

Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote in message

"Mikie" wrote in message
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Mikie

Add the value of your labor to the costs and see where you are.

Economies of scale would make it unprofitable.

No differential for quality as the perception of quality is arbitrary and
intangible.

Dimitri

If you use a highly efficient method such as square-foot gardening, the
labor becomes less of a factor. After the first year, anyway.

On the other hand, if you have a "summer" like we did here, where it rained
every day for about 8 weeks or so, yield can be so extremely low that you're
lucky to recoup the cost of seedlings and seeds.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.64dollartomato.com/

Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 1, 7:21*am, Mikie wrote:
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! *If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! *But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! *Think!

I'm guessing you mean that an "organic garden" will give you produce
that hasn't been exposed to pesticides and herbicides. While that's
true, such produce is nowadays readily available in many markets and
supermarkets. What we have found interesting in our little backyard
plots is how quick and beneficial the effects of insecticides are.
When plants are being devoured by some little critters and you apply
an insecticide and the damage stops you get the point. You can choose
to stay 'organc' by using only things like BT and (can't remember the
name of the other main one, starts with a 'P') but each product has a
specific range--it kills certain critters and doesn't others. The
point I'm wandering around here is that if you wonder why organic
produce costs you'll learn quickly when you try to grow your own. -
aem

Old 01-10-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mikie wrote:
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Did the discussion take into acount:

Saved money from not needing a gym membership? Gardening is great exercise.

Saved money from not needing vacations to the country or beach?
Gardening is enjoyable and will give you a tan.

Saved money from not needing psychotherapy or Prozac? Gardening is
relaxing, meditative, enjoyable, soothing, philosophical, fun.

If you're someone who hates every minute of it, then I agree. Better to
get produce from the supermarket or farmer's market. The cost in
dollars and aggravation isn't worth it. If you think it is fun, then
there's no better reward right there.

--Lia

Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 1:32�pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
Mikie wrote:
[...]

Those are the reasons I garden, especially because for me it's fun and
enjoyable. I don't really think about the economic aspect unless
someone brings it up, but I know from years of experience, that just
like any other hobby there is no monetary advantage. I also collect
fountain pens, many of which cost hundreds, even thousands of
dollars... I can just as easily write with a 19 cent BIC... but there
is a certain intangible enjoyment in hobbies that can't be equated in
dollars and cents. Once there's a profit it's no longer a hobby, then
it's a business... I'm into gardening, not farming... if it was
constantly on my mind to turn a profit I wouldn't enjoy it and I'd not
do it. Most of what my garden produces I give away. Today I gave
away two large butternut squash and two large cabbages, make that
three cabbages, gave two to my neighbor and one to my tenant. I still
have four more large cabbages in the garden and more squash... I
picked some for me too but I can't fit any more in my fridge. It
would have been immeasurably less costly to simply buy a few cabbage
and squash for like under $20... growing my own two cabbage and two
squash cost like $200, probably more. But even knowing this I don't
mind... I'm sure plenty of yoose spend $200 on a seat at a ball game,
I never have... I think yoose are just as nutz paying to see grown
adult juvenile delinquents bat a ball around like so many retards as
you think I am playing Jolly Green Giant with my patch of dirt

Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

I'm sure plenty of yoose spend $200 on a seat at a ball game,
I never have... I think yoose are just as nutz paying to see grown
adult juvenile delinquents bat a ball around like so many retards as
you think I am playing Jolly Green Giant with my patch of dirt
--------------------

GM replies:

I'm always very amused by some of the people I know who sometimes chide
myself and others for spending so much "time" on the internet. These are
all big sports fans, some of them spend most all of their leisure time in a
stinky bar, their butts cemented to a bar stool, screaming at a screen,
spending all this money on booze and cigs and not inconsiderable amounts of
dough on betting pools, etc...

I gnerally loathe sports, don't see the point of *adults* sitting there
watching some moron chasing a ball around. But if that's yer bag, hey, it's
yer life and yer money, and DON'T be dissing other folks' interests. Yeah,
I like my internet stuff but I get it all for $7.95 per month. My
ancilliary expenses might include some cheep wodka as I'll have a toot or so
sometimes in the evening whilst posting, but I've got the wodka anyways,
it's no huge expense. Some of these sports fans I know have bet HUGE
amounts of money on games, they put their bar tabs and cigs on credit cards
and are so in hock at 21.95% interest for something that should be an
enjoyable "hobby". Additionally, some of them get so wound up in the Big
Game that when their teams lose they go into a funk and spend even more on
their addictions, e.g. drinking, smoking, gambling...some have anger
management problems as a result, they let some stupid game result literally
run - and ruin - their lives. One d00d I know ditched work on a Friday
afternoon *one* too many times to watch a Cubs game, he lost his job as a
result...nice going!

Some of these are the same nitwits who complain about never having money for
this or that. NATCHERLY they don't, they are wasting it all on their sports
jones...

You have gardening and pen collecting, others restore old cars or radios,
knit, do crosswords, can, bake, play the pianer, do genealogy, read
mysteries, engage in video gaming, or wierd sex, ride horses, body build,
build their own computers, etc. Interests and hobbies should be
*pleasures*, not burdens...

Food - wise I dabble a bit in baking, I know I'm not saving much time or
money - wise but it's pleasurable, most especially when I see the smiles on
the faces of the folks with which I've gifted my baked goods. I used to can
years ago, but after awhiles it got to be a chore (and an expense), so I
don't do that anymore...I can buy perfectly good canned tomatoes 'n stuff
that is much cheapier and tastier than I could probably ever hope to put up.

Off my soapbox, but my internet/Usenet "hobby" is much cheaper, much more
healthful, AND more entertaining, and anyways I've got characters like the
cyberpussie and PeterBreathLucas and some others to mock, so my laffs come
*very* cheap...

:-)

=== thinking of a wodka and a Diet Squirt...

--
Best
Greg

Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Mikie wrote:
In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

Well! If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! But the
gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! Think!

Did the discussion take into acount:

Saved money from not needing a gym membership? Gardening is great
exercise.

But you'll offset the offset with the cost of analgesics and physical
therapy (gardening thrashed my arms and shoulders this year).

Saved money from not needing vacations to the country or beach?
Gardening is enjoyable and will give you a tan.

AND if you have a large and extensive garden, you can't go anywhere anyway.

Saved money from not needing psychotherapy or Prozac? Gardening is
relaxing, meditative, enjoyable, soothing, philosophical, fun.

Except for this year. This year's yields were so bad I need Prozac.

If you're someone who hates every minute of it, then I agree. Better to
get produce from the supermarket or farmer's market. The cost in
dollars and aggravation isn't worth it. If you think it is fun, then
there's no better reward right there.

This year's production was minimal, so things had to be bolstered with
supermarket and farm stand fare.

Incidently, the very last tomatoes to come on and the very last ready to
be picked this summer were the Early Girls! The irony was delicious.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

I'm always very amused by some of the people I know who sometimes chide
myself and others for spending so much "time" on the internet. These are
all big sports fans, some of them spend most all of their leisure time in a
stinky bar, their butts cemented to a bar stool, screaming at a screen,
spending all this money on booze and cigs and not inconsiderable amounts of
dough on betting pools, etc...

Funny thing that. All those arm chair jocks think of themselves as
athletes because they watch sports. Personally, team sports are not of
much interest to me. Once you get out of school there are limited
opportunities to get involved in them. It is too much hassle to get a
bunch of guys together on a regular basis. A friend of mine advised me
years ago about the concept of "sports for life" the sorts of activities
that you can do on your own or with one or more people, like bicycling,
tennis, skiing, cross country skiing. My sport of choice is equestrian
jumping, and conditioning and weight loss is aimed at keeping me in
shape for riding.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:

Funny thing that. All those arm chair jocks think of themselves as
athletes because they watch sports. Personally, team sports are not of
much interest to me. Once you get out of school there are limited
opportunities to get involved in them.

Not true. It's not for me, but I shared an office with a woman for five
years. Sports were her life. She and her husband did the football
watching thing. Her husband had a stressful job, so his job paid for
membership in an athletic club. It wasn't much extra money to add
family membership to that. They both played racquet ball a couple of
times of week (not with each other). They were both on a volleyball
team. They both played baseball. They both played soccer. I watched
her play a few times. 1 1/2 hours of straight running. These sports
mostly had seasons, so they didn't do all of these at the same time.

ObFood: When she did sports, then she felt justified in drinking a beer
or eating another sandwich.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mikie wrote:
[...]

You just feel like you're lording over those you give to.

Here in Floriduh, just the time invested in breaking the ground amounts to
more than one would spend at the local produce market. Stick that in your
****ing New York pipe and smoke it, biatch!

What you pay $1.00 for, I get for 23 cents.

**** you, you uppity prick!

TFM® - and get that ****ing cat off the counter!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

I'll raise with straight Canadian.

4 ounces.

TFM

Old 02-10-2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Aren't you the same Penmart who was putting down people who would can
their own tomatoes because it is cheaper to buy them? grin

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance

Absolutely Huge Savings! kimsyet Recipes 2 06-04-2011 03:06 AM
Daylight savings Dimitri General Cooking 1 13-03-2011 07:16 PM
Huge Grocery Savings! kimsyet General 0 08-02-2011 11:21 PM
30% or more savings on food Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 4 20-10-2008 05:03 PM