Old 28-09-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

Jacktwist1 wrote:
So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games,
In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had
too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does
anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I
added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The
other ingredients are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate
any salvage ideas.

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

--Lia

Old 28-09-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Jacktwist1 wrote:
So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football
games, In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must
have had too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over
powering. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with
something to offset it. I added more brown sugar last night, but I
don't want to add anymore. The other ingredients are tomato paste,
vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate any salvage ideas.

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

--Lia

Easier said than done if he made that pulled pork from scratch!

Jill
Old 28-09-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jacktwist1" wrote in message

So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games,
In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had
too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does
anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I
added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The
other ingrediants are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate
any salvage ideas. Thanks. JT

I would put it in a collander and rinse it and start over.

Old 28-09-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" wrote

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

I was assuming he didn't have any more pork.

Old 28-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Member

So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games, In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The other ingrediants are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate any salvage ideas. Thanks. JT

Old 28-09-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

I would put it in a collander and rinse it and start over.

I just have to put my foot down at that suggestion.

Putting it in a collander and optionally weighting it down might
help, then you can add some fresh BBQ sauce or whatever to wet it up
some more.

-sw
Old 28-09-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:52:25 -0400, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

Jacktwist1 wrote:
So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games,
In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had
too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does
anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I
added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The
other ingredients are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate
any salvage ideas.

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

or drain the pork as much as possible and start over with the sauce.
Worcestershire and soy should be added by the drop, not by teaspoons.

Mae West
Old 29-09-2008, 05:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

wrote:

Jacktwist1 wrote:
So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games,
In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had
too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does
anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I
added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The
other ingredients are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate
any salvage ideas.

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

or drain the pork as much as possible and start over with the sauce.
Worcestershire and soy should be added by the drop, not by teaspoons.

I have many BBQ recipes which call for one or the other of those (or
both), at multi-tablespoon levels. I've never gotten so much that the
taste was "overwhelming', so I wonder if it wasn't something else that
got misread?

Isaac
Old 29-09-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" wrote
I have many BBQ recipes which call for one or the other of those (or
both), at multi-tablespoon levels. I've never gotten so much that the
taste was "overwhelming', so I wonder if it wasn't something else that
got misread?

I bet not. Even a little too much Worchestershire sauce tastes like dirty
feet smell.

Old 29-09-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Jacktwist1

I've rescued too-salty chili by spooning out the meat and beans (yeah,
too bad, I like beans in chili) with a slotted spoon, and starting
over with the sauce. Nothing else worked, including bread and cut up
raw potatoes.

N.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Jacktwist1 wrote:
So, I just made a big batch of pulled pork for today's football games,
In a crock pot last night. I followed a recipe, but it must have had
too much worcestershire sauce, because it is very over powering. Does
anyone have any ideas on how to cut this with something to offset it. I
added more brown sugar last night, but I don't want to add anymore. The
other ingredients are tomato paste, vinegar, mustard powder. Appreciate
any salvage ideas.

Double the other ingredients including the pulled pork. Leave out the
worcestershire sauce this time. Freeze the leftovers.

or drain the pork as much as possible and start over with the sauce.
Worcestershire and soy should be added by the drop, not by teaspoons.

--
I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the
number of carats in a diamond.

Mae West

Reminds me of the time I used a few splashes of Sesame Oil in a stroganoff
dish. It overpowered the Hell out of it.
Finally after adding numerous items I saved it... of course I was the only
one who ate it

Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Jacktwist1 wrote:
[...]

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Mae West
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:42:02 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake

Oh, always both in my kitchen!