Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default best pan for Maillard reaction?

Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

When I'm looking for that, I go for stainless. Just my
experience, what works for me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?
>
> Thanks

Stainless.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 26, 11:59*am, val189 > wrote:
> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

I get good Maillard reaction and good fond in both. I prefer the
stainless steel pan for several reasons, but that's a different
story. I also get a good flavor-developing sear in the steel wok:
spread sliced beef all around the surface and let it sit without
stirring until it is well browned on one side. (That's all you need
before you add in veggies and other ingredients.) The way you ask the
question implies that you already know not to expect a good result
from a non-stick pan, and I agree. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:

> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

Well-seasoned cast iron is the standard against which
others are compared. Resist the new-fangled alloys.
They're bad for you.

Sci Total Environ. 1994 Jun 6;148(2-3):303-9.
Nickel-related cancer in welders.
Langard S.
Telemark Central Hospital, Department of Occupational
Medicine, Porsgrunn, Norway.

During stainless steel (SS) welding, solid aerosols are
generated from elemental compounds which are generally
considered to be human carcinogens; i.e. compounds of
hexavalent chromium (CrVI) and nickel. Epidemiological studies
among groups of SS-welders have indicated that they may
carry a higher risk of acquiring lung cancer than mild steel
(MS) welders using the same welding techniques. This excess
risk has been demonstrated in cohort as well as by
case-control studies. The present evidence does not support
the view that exposure to SS-welding fumes poses a hazard
of cancer at any other site. Exposure to asbestos and
smoking are generally major confounders in these studies.
The number of SS-welders world-wide seems to be increasing,
thus these findings may be of significance to SS-welders
and to the welding industry. Despite the information on the
possible cancer hazard among SS-welders, current
epidemiological data on cancer incidence and mortality
do not offer clear evidence to determine whether exposure
to nickel or CrVI compounds constitutes the more important
risk factor for lung cancer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"val189" > wrote in message
> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?
>
> Thanks

Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 > wrote:

> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

Maillard reaction occurs when heated amino acids and sugars interact
with each other. The pan material is irrelevant and the reaction will
occur even in the total absence of any pan.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> val189 wrote:
> >
> > Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

> Maillard reaction occurs when heated amino acids and sugars interact
> with each other. �The pan material is irrelevant and the reaction will
> occur even in the total absence of any pan.
>
> Victor �

Yep... best pan is a grill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:59:28 -0700 (PDT), val189
> wrote:

>Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

Obviously, you just left your chemistry class and trying to
impress.....?

What did your professor recommend?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> val189 wrote:
>>
>> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

> Well-seasoned cast iron is the standard against which
> others are compared. Resist the new-fangled alloys.
> They're bad for you.
>

> Sci Total Environ. 1994 Jun 6;148(2-3):303-9.
> Nickel-related cancer in welders.
> Langard S.
> Telemark Central Hospital, Department of Occupational
> Medicine, Porsgrunn, Norway.

Are you saying that you shouldn't weld with your stainless steel pan?

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> val189 wrote:
>>
>> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?

> Well-seasoned cast iron is the standard against which
> others are compared. Resist the new-fangled alloys.
> They're bad for you.

I'd have agreed with you in the past, but I rarely pull out the cast iron
these days. I can get much better results with my stainless steel lined
copper pan. Check out the Falk line at www.copperpans.com I bought the 12"
fry pan and love it for the even heating and ability to brown.

Cast iron has to be heated considerably to brown properly, the copper much
less so.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> "val189" > wrote in message
>> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?
>>
>> Thanks

> Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

Don't you have to heat it up?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> "val189" > wrote in message
>>> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

> Don't you have to heat it up?
>
> -sw

Of course not

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri > wrote:

>>> Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

>> Don't you have to heat it up?

> Of course not

So you just put it in a pan and viola: Maillard Reaction?

Those must be some magic pans.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:42:46 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> "val189" > wrote in message
>>> Cast iron, stainless? Any other type of pan better?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

> Don't you have to heat it up?
>
> -sw

if you rub a little fat on the meat and leave it out at room temperature,
it will turn brown soon enough.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> [...]

Cast Iron is my preference.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:

>>> Don't you have to heat it up?

>> Of course not

> So you just put it in a pan and viola: Maillard Reaction?
>
> Those must be some magic pans.
>
> -sw

No you put it in the pan and then push down the lever on the toaster - After
all it was toasted bread that led to the discovery - Right?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> No you put it in the pan and then push down the lever on the toaster - After
> all it was toasted bread that led to the discovery - Right?

Wrong.

If it were to be attributed to any food, it would be
powdered eggs. And not until a few decades after the original
discovery of why these reactions occur.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:42:46 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Dimitri > wrote:

> >> Neither - the fat that browns the meat/food.

> > Don't you have to heat it up?
> >
> > -sw

> if you rub a little fat on the meat and leave it out at room temperature,
> it will turn brown soon enough.

Yes, but it will not be because of the "Maillard reaction", which
requires a temperature considerably above that of most rooms.

FWIW, I favor cast iron, partly because it can store a lot more heat
then most stainless or aluminum cookware, and also because it's
naturally dark, so you don't have to even *think* about scrubbing it
shiny again. And it's not the fat, it's the heat; but a bit of fat
makes the heat conduction into the meat work better.

Isaac

The Miracle of Maillard... Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 0 21-06-2010 06:00 PM
Allergic reaction??? Wizzzer Diabetic 6 01-08-2006 05:13 PM
Reaction to potassium metabisulphite Adam Preble Winemaking 5 09-05-2006 04:19 PM
A bad reaction to WHITE wines ??? Fred Mau Wine 18 08-12-2004 02:46 PM
Does PH drop during Malo reaction? fishhead Winemaking 1 11-11-2004 03:36 AM