TaraDanielle

Default Halloween Party for Kids :-)

Hey,

I have a class of fourth and fifth graders, and my 2 year-old is going
to a few parties, starting Thursday. Here's my plan for tonight and
tomorrow night ...

I got Halloween baggies and I'm covering nutter butters with meltd
white chocolate with choc chip eyes (ghosts), rolling out marshmallows
in 10x sugar and adding eyes for more ghosts, putting hershey dark
kisses on cookies as witch hats (with orange icing bows), dividing a
lot of tropical trail mix, making a bundt cake orange like a pumpkin
with a cone for the stalk, cutting toast into jack-o-lanters with eyes
etc. of either yellow cheese or peach jam, crackers, apples and
cheddar, I am mixing ginger ale, OJ and lime sherbert in a "cauldron"
and parents of my kids are supplying soda, hot dogs wrapped like mummy
fingers,cupcakes, chips, plates and napkins. Oh, and I bought cocoa
covered peeps shaped like bats and lots of cheap candy.

I would LOVE to do a veggie tray and other healthful things, but I
know it'll be a waste with cupcakes etc. available. My class has a
low SES and they eat a lot of junk :-(

Any other easy, inexpensive ideas? I might buy a made pumpkin pie,
too.
Tara
Tara

A couple of lower sugar ideas:

Get the big, clear plastic food service gloves and put a candy corn
in each finger for fingernails. Fill the rest of the glove with
popcorn.

Lady fingers are fun, too -- cut refrigerated breadstick dough in half
widthwise, pinch near the top and middle to make knuckles, cut three
creases across each knuckle. Toss almond halves with red food
coloring to make fingernails and push one into each finger. Bake
according to the package directions.

Worm sandwiches -- slice hotdogs the long way into strips. Drop into
hot water and they will curl up into worms. Serve on hotdog or
hamburger buns.

Tara (the other one)
Rick & Cyndi

"TaraDanielle" > wrote in message
om...
: Hey,
:
:
[...]
============

Any chance you can ask the parents that are bringing the sweet
things (cupcakes...) and ask them to bring something healthier
instead? <scratches head> It's worth a shot.

My 4 y/o Pre-K had a circus party last week. I made Kitty Litter
Cake, a dip, and brought in baby carrots and cut celery.
Surprisingly enough, quite a bit of the carrots and celery were
eaten and only a 1/3 of the Kitty Litter Cake. Most kids will
eat the 'good for you' stuff if it's there.

What's "SES"?

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Tara

One more idea -- my first graders are very happy with sandwiches cut
out with seasonal cookie cutters. It's a good way to get more solid
food into them at a party.

Tara
TaraDanielle

Any chance you can ask the parents that are bringing the sweet
> things (cupcakes...) and ask them to bring something healthier
> instead? <scratches head> It's worth a shot.

No. I did bring trail mix and carrot, and nothing was taken.
SES is socio economic status.
The marshamllow things were a HUGE PAIN and no better than Peeps
anyway.
The witch hats were a hit everywhere.
Nutter Butters are no longer peanut shaped where I live, so I couldn't
make those ghosts :-( I went to 6 grocery stores, they're round or
they don't have them anymore
TARA
> :
> : I got Halloween baggies and I'm covering nutter butters with
> meltd
> : white chocolate with choc chip eyes (ghosts), rolling out
> marshmallows
> : in 10x sugar and adding eyes for more ghosts, putting hershey
> dark
> : kisses on cookies as witch hats (with orange icing bows),
> dividing a
> : lot of tropical trail mix, making a bundt cake orange like a
> pumpkin
> : with a cone for the stalk, cutting toast into jack-o-lanters
> with eyes
> : etc. of either yellow cheese or peach jam, crackers, apples and
> : cheddar, I am mixing ginger ale, OJ and lime sherbert in a
> "cauldron"
> : and parents of my kids are supplying soda, hot dogs wrapped
> like mummy
> : fingers,cupcakes, chips, plates and napkins. Oh, and I bought
> cocoa
> : covered peeps shaped like bats and lots of cheap candy.
> :
> : I would LOVE to do a veggie tray and other healthful things,
> but I
> : know it'll be a waste with cupcakes etc. available. My class
> has a
> : low SES and they eat a lot of junk :-(
> :
> : Any other easy, inexpensive ideas? I might buy a made pumpkin
> pie,
> : too.
> : Tara
> ============

Rick & Cyndi

"TaraDanielle" > wrote in message
om...
: Any chance you can ask the parents that are bringing the sweet
: > things (cupcakes...) and ask them to bring something
healthier
: > instead? <scratches head> It's worth a shot.
: >
: No. I did bring trail mix and carrot, and nothing was taken.
: SES is socio economic status.
: The marshamllow things were a HUGE PAIN and no better than
Peeps
: anyway.
: The witch hats were a hit everywhere.
: Nutter Butters are no longer peanut shaped where I live, so I
couldn't
: make those ghosts :-( I went to 6 grocery stores, they're
round or
: they don't have them anymore
: TARA
=======

Oh. <shrug>

Yeah. I kinda thought the marshmallow things would have been a
bit of a pain... too much like work for me to mess with. LOL
Bummer about the Nutter Butters...

Glad everything else seemed to work out well.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>