Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do bread machines really save that much time

On Sep 25, 2:01*pm, sueb > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 5:48*am, val189 > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 25, 2:44 am, "Brian Christiansen"

> > > wrote:
> > > I recently put together a toastmasters group presentation about making
> > > bread. *While I was puting it together I got to wondering if a bread machine
> > > truly saves time.

> > > The bread certainly does not rise or bake any faster in a bread machine.

> > > If you use a bread machine, you do not have to knead the bread, and that
> > > saves about 10 minutes, but at least some of that savings is countered by
> > > having to get the bread machine out of and back into storage, unless of
> > > course you have the counter space to keep it set up all the time.

> > > If you make bread by the sponge method, the sponge has to be started the day
> > > before the actual baking (or at least that is the impression that I get from
> > > several of the recipes that I looked at - I have never used that method),
> > > but it isn't like you have to sit out in the kitchen watching the sponge
> > > develop.

> > > Also the impression that I get is that the development of the sponge is what
> > > develops the flavor, and whether the kneading method is by hand or
> > > mechanical in a bread machine or whatever really does not make that much
> > > difference (though opinions seem to vary on this as well), but like with the
> > > straight dough method, I dont think it really saves that much time.

> > > Brian Christiansen

> > For me, it's the saving of money, it's the superior taste and
> > nutrition, it's the aroma which fills the house, it's never running
> > out of bread, it's the variety one can enjoy....I've had a machine for
> > almost 20 years and have never been sorry. *Sure, it takes a little
> > planning, but it's become part of the home routine.
> > I have two machines now, and there ARE days when both are hummin'.
> > * It takes about two minutes to dump in the ingredients. *Hell, I've
> > waited longer at the a supermkt bakery counter for someone to get me
> > bread, bag it, slap on a price and not say thank you.- Hide quoted text -

> I use one because I'm a lousy kneader. *It's hard to recognize your
> own limitations, but I've come to terms with this one.

Mixer - dough hook ?

Mix, let rise, mix again etc. Don't even bother moving the bowl from
the machine.

Stick in loaves, let rise and toss in oven.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

> I can think of a few recioes that take about 10
> > minutes, but those have me chopping apples or
> > grating cheese etc. ?

>Those type of prep tasks have nothing to do with which method one uses
>to bake bread, they require the same time/effort regardless. Btw, for

True, just mentioning most of my stuff doesnt even take that long.

>bread partially
>hydrated dehy apples work best... fresh apples turn to mush.

I'll have to try that! I dont make that recipe often and yes, a but mushy
when I do.

Well, didnt make soft pretzels today but still thinking about it. That one
does take longer as you fiddle with the dough to twist it to various shapes
then coat it with 'whatever seems a good idea'. Charlotte enjoys 'sniff
hunting' spices when I do that sort of thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> > On Sep 26, 9:43 am, maxine in ri > wrote:

<snip>

> Strange the professional baker I worked with insisted on measuring
> just about everything. When he did some cooking he wored by sight etc
> but not for baking.
>
> Of course he'd never use a measuing spoon. Everything was done by
> weight. Joseph Amendola's baking book is a good example of this.
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

A baker working in a bakery *does* need to measure accurately. It's a
matter of product consistency and profit margins. While a few grams more
or less of an ingredient wouldn't matter much to home baking (and yes I
bake a great deal), it would certainly add up in a commercial setting.
Weighing is better for dry ingredients than volume.

Precision in baking is often overrated. We live in a dry climate at high
altitude. Many of the baking recipes posted here wouldn't work for us as
given. ChristineD can attest to that

The flour/dry ingredients can be at 5 percent humidity (and thus need
more liquid to work up properly).

Yeast/leavening amounts need to be decreased slightly (things rise more
readily at this air pressure).

Water doesn't boil at 212 F/100 C (about 201/93) things need to be
cooked longer or at higher temp to come out right. Ten degrees or so
need to be taken off the dF reading of our sugar/jam thermometer; ruined
a lot of sweets recipes before working that one out LOL.

Eventually experience makes it all come right, of course, and one can
always eat the evidence
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2:01 pm, sueb > wrote:

<snip>

> > I use one because I'm a lousy kneader. It's hard to recognize your
> > own limitations, but I've come to terms with this one.

> Mixer - dough hook ?
>
> Mix, let rise, mix again etc. Don't even bother moving the bowl from
> the machine.
>
> Stick in loaves, let rise and toss in oven.

That's mostly what we do, although the bowl is removed from the machine.
The dough needs covering to avoid drying out here; that's easier to do
with the bowl on the counter.

We have a bread machine that was a gift. Very basic and not much
flexibility in timimg or temperature. It takes about 3.5 hours to make
one 1.5 lb loaf of bread after adding the ingredients to the bowl. Can
make two loaves, same size, without the machine in the same amount of
time. Ingredients need to be measured in any case, so no time saving
there.

bread machines Mr. G D Geen Baking 12 16-03-2007 10:25 PM
FAQ and bread machines Tara Banfield Sourdough 5 18-06-2006 10:50 PM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM