Old 28-09-2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

On Sep 22, 6:15 am, Sheldon wrote:
amandaF wrote:

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

The only thing that makes it Mongolian is the marinade ingredients.
You can use most any of the beef cuts typically marinated.
Restaurants that serve that dish often use the lesser cuts of sirloin
and round... side and tip work well but cost more... were I making it
at home I'd choose flank steak.

http://www.beefretail.org/markmarinating.aspx

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/beef...golianbeef.htm

Yesterday I made Mongolian pork with redneck squash:http://i37.tinypic.com/2ut11qt.jpg

Great links. I will definitely use these recipes.

Old 28-09-2008, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
On Sep 22, 3:03 am, Sqwertz wrote:
amandaF wrote:
What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Bottom sirloin flap and tri-tip are really the best all around for
slicing thin and stir frying, but you can get away with any cut
except ground beef and cheeks.

-sw

Glad to hear that because I have some tri-tip cut into kabob size ( by
the store). I can just thaw them and cut them thin for this dish.
Perfect.

Leave them a little frozen. They cut easier when you want thin pieces
for stir-frying.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 28-09-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?
Bottom sirloin flap and tri-tip are really the best all around for
slicing thin and stir frying, but you can get away with any cut
except ground beef and cheeks.

-sw

Glad to hear that because I have some tri-tip cut into kabob size ( by
the store). I can just thaw them and cut them thin for this dish.
Perfect.

Leave them a little frozen. They cut easier when you want thin pieces
for stir-frying.

Regardless which cut one should never use previously frozen meat for
stir frying. Freezing ruptures the muscle cells so the meat loses
moisture, thinly sliced then makes for exceptionally tough and dry
meat. It's very easy to slice fresh meat thinly, use a carbon steel
blade... no stainless steel can ever be nearly as sharp as carbon
steel.

Old 28-09-2008, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon expressed his ignorant opinion as if it were fact:

no stainless steel can ever be nearly as sharp as carbon steel.

....which explains why scalpel blades and razor blades are both available in
stainless steel. Oh, wait, that means you're WRONG, doesn't it?

When you don't know what you're talking about (which is most of the time),
why not just shut the **** up, you dribbling dolt?

Bob

Old 28-09-2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"BOOB Terwilliger" wrote:
Sheldon expressed his ignorant opinion as if it were fact:

no stainless steel can ever be nearly as sharp as carbon steel.

...which explains why scalpel blades and razor blades are both available in
stainless steel. Oh, wait, that means you're WRONG, doesn't it?

When you don't know what you're talking about (which is most of the time),
why not just shut the **** up, you dribbling dolt?

Bob

Stainless steel safety razors are actually not very sharp... were
blades of carbon steel so thin they'd be far sharper... oh, straight
razors are! And scalpel blades are not very sharp either, pimple
brain. Were stainless steel capable of a sharp edge woodworking tool
blades would be of stainless, all wood chisels, plane blades, carver's
knives etc. are of carbon steel. The *only* reason stainless steel
blades are used for food work is because they don't rust and most
importantly they don't easily chip, not because they are sharp...
butchers hate that the law says they can no longer use carbon steel
blades... FACT! BOOB Terilliger is a pinhead... FACT!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 22, 2008 7:24:10 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sep 21, 11:27*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"amandaF" wrote in message

What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

Actually, the cheaper the cut the better. *And plenty of fat. *A nice
semi-fatty chuck, cut very thin on the bias will make for the best flavor
and texture. Usually flank steak is used but I like the texture and flavor
of chuck. *By thin we are talking so thin you can almost see through it. *It
will be very tender that way and marinating it will make it even more so.
Best to have the butcher cut it for you.

Paul

I don't think the OP is talking about Mongolian firepot, but about the
typical
Americanized Chinese restaurant dish of marinated, stir-fried beef
typically
served on a bed of crispy fried rice noodles.

It's interesting how the word Mongolian got attached to Chinese menu in America. I am actually Mongolian, and never really heard of that dish in Mongolia, lol.
Maybe I will invent the dish called "American Hamburger" outside of US and it will some type of Indian curry, lol .
Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 7, 1:13*pm, "l not -l" wrote:

On *7-Nov-2012, "kevin J." wrote:

It's interesting how the word Mongolian got attached to Chinese menu
in America. I am actually Mongolian, and never really heard of that
dish in Mongolia, lol.
Maybe I will invent the dish called "American Hamburger" outside of US
and it will some type of Indian curry, lol .

Perhaps it's a Cantonese slur; seems to me that most American Chinese
restaurants are owned and operated by Cantonese immigrants.
Historically, the restaurants and menus are the doing of immigrants who
adapted Chinese cuisine to the ingredients available. *For the most
part, non-immigrants just found the stuff very appealing - damn, now I
want an eggroll and Sichuan/Szechuan spicy green beans with shredded
pork, or maybe crab Rangoon and orange beef, or ...... *8-)

You do know this Kevin twit is dragging up a 4 year old post??
Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:37:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

You do know this Kevin twit is dragging up a 4 year old post??

Be very careful; someone who shall not be named (and I don't mean
Somebody) will chastise you for bringing up that fact.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

You do know this Kevin twit is dragging up a 4 year old post??

Be very careful; someone who shall not be named (and I don't mean
Somebody) will chastise you for bringing up that fact.

Nobody died and crowned her queen.