Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Vanilla Extract

We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby > wrote in
:

> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

http://www.virtualrecipes.com.au/recipe~num~1884.asp

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...xtract,FF.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...848173366.html

I've got a 40oz bottle of (vodka) extract brewing at the moment......
it's been in there for quite a bit, and I'll be leaving it till
Christmas time.

After it's brewed, I'm just going to put it in bottles with either screw
caps, or corks, and give away as presents.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Mine's been sitting on the counter for at least a year. I've got a
couple vanilla beans soaking in some cheap brandy and I replenish the
brandy when the volume gets low. I don't use it very often so it has
time to rejuvenate. I have no idea if or when I'll know that the
vanilla beans have lost their vanilla selves. I'd recommend a nice 8-10
ounce bottle, myself. Try some fancy schmancy kitchen shops or some low
class dollar stores for the bottles. If they don't come with corks, buy
some.

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:35:29 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.

>Mine's been sitting on the counter for at least a year. I've got a
>couple vanilla beans soaking in some cheap brandy and I replenish the
>brandy when the volume gets low. I don't use it very often so it has
>time to rejuvenate. I have no idea if or when I'll know that the
>vanilla beans have lost their vanilla selves. I'd recommend a nice 8-10
>ounce bottle, myself. Try some fancy schmancy kitchen shops or some low
>class dollar stores for the bottles. If they don't come with corks, buy
>some.
>
>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Thank you for your kind reply. I will do as you suggested. Good idea
btw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:27:42 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas

:

>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>>

>http://www.virtualrecipes.com.au/recipe~num~1884.asp
>

>http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...xtract,FF.html
>

>http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...848173366.html
>

>I've got a 40oz bottle of (vodka) extract brewing at the moment......
>it's been in there for quite a bit, and I'll be leaving it till
>Christmas time.
>

>After it's brewed, I'm just going to put it in bottles with either screw
>caps, or corks, and give away as presents.

Hey, thanks so much for the links.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
> Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
>> Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

> Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been
clear. It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla
from Mexico, but it is not so good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:27:42 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> > wrote:
>
>>Ozark Baby > wrote in
m:

>>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle

would
>>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after

6
>>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would

be
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>>http://www.virtualrecipes.com.au/recipe~num~1884.asp
>>

>>http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...xtract,FF.html
>>

>>http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...848173366.html
>>

>>I've got a 40oz bottle of (vodka) extract brewing at the moment......
>>it's been in there for quite a bit, and I'll be leaving it till
>>Christmas time.
>>

>>After it's brewed, I'm just going to put it in bottles with either

screw
>>caps, or corks, and give away as presents.

> Hey, thanks so much for the links.

No sweat. It reminded me to go check my own brew in the pantry :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.ozdebate

PeterLucas wrote:

> Ozark Baby > wrote in
> :
>
> > We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> > want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> > anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> > seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> > months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> > shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> > appreciated.
> >

> http://www.virtualrecipes.com.au/recipe~num~1884.asp
>

> http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...xtract,FF.html
>

> http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...848173366.html
>

> I've got a 40oz bottle of (vodka) extract brewing at the moment......
> it's been in there for quite a bit, and I'll be leaving it till
> Christmas time.
>

> After it's brewed, I'm just going to put it in bottles with either screw
> caps, or corks, and give away as presents.

You *honestly* think we believe such a half - arsed fairy tale...???

Another one of yer "silly wabbit" stories, I'd aver...

Don't you know nothing, as they say...???

:-D

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

I'm assuming you're making it with alcohol, yes? So that would be fine on
the shelf. My mom used to make it years back and I remember thinking that
someone should make a perfume that smelled like vanilla...little did I know
years later there would be perfume, bath soaps, lotions....heheh

How much are you making? If you use a 750ml bottle of alcohol (which is
about 25 1/2 ounces), you can then use roughly six 4 ounce bottles for
bottling. Apothecary bottles with screw tops would work fine, and you don't
need to process it.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>>
>>> Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
>>> Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

>> Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

> I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been clear.
> It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla from
> Mexico, but it is not so good.

What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene glycol
base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That isn't vanilla
extract.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in :

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

>> I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been
>> clear. It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear
>> vanilla from Mexico, but it is not so good.

> What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene
> glycol base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That
> isn't vanilla extract.

I was wondering how they made a black extract clear :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:59:16 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.

>I'm assuming you're making it with alcohol, yes? So that would be fine on
>the shelf. My mom used to make it years back and I remember thinking that
>someone should make a perfume that smelled like vanilla...little did I know
>years later there would be perfume, bath soaps, lotions....heheh
>
>How much are you making? If you use a 750ml bottle of alcohol (which is
>about 25 1/2 ounces), you can then use roughly six 4 ounce bottles for
>bottling. Apothecary bottles with screw tops would work fine, and you don't
>need to process it.
>
>kimberly

Yes, I plan on using vodka to make it in and I plan on buying a fifth,
however much that is. LOLOL Thanks so much for your help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:29:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
>> Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

>Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

>>> Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

>> I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been clear.
>> It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla from
>> Mexico, but it is not so good.

> What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene glycol
> base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That isn't vanilla
> extract.

The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a local chef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:29:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>>
>>> Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
>>> Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

>>Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

> That is what I was afraid of. Thanks.

With this thread, I went and checked my brew that's been going for quite a
few months.

It actually smells like vanilla extract now!! Last time I smelt it, I could
still tell it was vodka based.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

I have an easier solution;

Get some of the small sealable jars from any kitchen supply store. You'll
see the ones with the rubber seal and a compound wire closing system. Put 1
or 2 vanilla beans in each and fill with sugar, regular sugar. In a few
weeks you'll have wonderful vanilla flavored sugar to use in everything from
balking to coffee. The best part is as you use the sugar it can be
refilled - the flavoring ability will last for several years.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 21 Sep 2008 12:03:17p, Dimitri told us...

> "Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.

> I have an easier solution;
>
> Get some of the small sealable jars from any kitchen supply store.
> You'll see the ones with the rubber seal and a compound wire closing
> system. Put 1 or 2 vanilla beans in each and fill with sugar, regular
> sugar. In a few weeks you'll have wonderful vanilla flavored sugar to
> use in everything from balking to coffee. The best part is as you use
> the sugar it can be refilled - the flavoring ability will last for
> several years.
>
> Dimitri

If you want a more intense flavor, slit the vanilla beans lengthwise to
expose the seeds.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 1dys 11hrs 34mins
When I was young, we didn't have MTV.
We had to take drugs and go to rock
concerts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been
>>> clear. It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla
>>> from Mexico, but it is not so good.

>> What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene glycol
>> base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That isn't vanilla
>> extract.

> The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a local chef.

That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll see. It's vanilla
flavored, but not real vanilla.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:59:16 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>

>>"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>>> appreciated.

>>I'm assuming you're making it with alcohol, yes? So that would be fine on
>>the shelf. My mom used to make it years back and I remember thinking that
>>someone should make a perfume that smelled like vanilla...little did I
>>know
>>years later there would be perfume, bath soaps, lotions....heheh
>>
>>How much are you making? If you use a 750ml bottle of alcohol (which is
>>about 25 1/2 ounces), you can then use roughly six 4 ounce bottles for
>>bottling. Apothecary bottles with screw tops would work fine, and you
>>don't
>>need to process it.
>>
>>kimberly

> Yes, I plan on using vodka to make it in and I plan on buying a fifth,
> however much that is. LOLOL Thanks so much for your help.

A fifth is about 750ml, so what I said above would apply

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:14:11 -0700:

>>> What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or
>>> propylene glycol base with vanillin, a by-product of the
>>> wood industry. That isn't vanilla extract.

>> The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a
>> local chef.

> That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll
> see. It's vanilla flavored, but not real vanilla.

Vanillin is a major part of the vanilla flavor but not all of it and
that is why commercial "vanilla flavor" is not very convincing if you've
tried the real stuff. Have you heard of putting a vanilla bean in a jar
of sugar? I believe the flavor is transferred quite well.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to Nexis on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:39:34 GMT:

>>> The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a
>>> local chef.

>> That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll
>> see. It's vanilla flavored, but not real vanilla.

> Vanillin is a major part of the vanilla flavor but not all of it and
> that is why commercial "vanilla flavor" is not very
> convincing if you've tried the real stuff. Have you heard of
> putting a vanilla bean in a jar of sugar? I believe the flavor
> is transferred quite well.

I got interested in this and referred to the old standby, "The Joy of
Cooking". Vanilla extract is said to be made by "macerating" (fancy word
for steeping) the beans in a 35% alcohol solution. Another interesting
thing is the recommendation to add vanilla extract only when the food is
cooling.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 21 Sep 2008 01:58:32p, James Silverton told us...

> James wrote to Nexis on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:39:34 GMT:

>>> That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll
>>> see. It's vanilla flavored, but not real vanilla.

>> Vanillin is a major part of the vanilla flavor but not all of it and
>> that is why commercial "vanilla flavor" is not very
>> convincing if you've tried the real stuff. Have you heard of
>> putting a vanilla bean in a jar of sugar? I believe the flavor
>> is transferred quite well.

> I got interested in this and referred to the old standby, "The Joy of
> Cooking". Vanilla extract is said to be made by "macerating" (fancy word
> for steeping) the beans in a 35% alcohol solution. Another interesting
> thing is the recommendation to add vanilla extract only when the food is
> cooling.

I like to steep vanilla pods in 80 proof bourbon, just a bit higher
percentage alcohol.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 1dys 9hrs 49mins
Go away, cat. You make me smile too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

>>> What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene glycol
>>> base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That isn't vanilla
>>> extract.

>> The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a local chef.

> That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll see. It's vanilla
> flavored, but not real vanilla.

Perhaps not, but this guy is an incredible chef and I trust him to know
that it was good vanilla extract and not artificial, and the reason that
he brought some back for me was because I had commented on the vanilla
taste in some of his desserts. It was almost exactly the same as vanilla
that I had from Grenada, which was dark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I got interested in this and referred to the old standby, "The Joy of
> Cooking". Vanilla extract is said to be made by "macerating" (fancy word
> for steeping) the beans in a 35% alcohol solution. Another interesting
> thing is the recommendation to add vanilla extract only when the food is
> cooling.

I thought that was because a lot of the flavour will be lost in vapour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:45:29 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> wrote:

>With this thread, I went and checked my brew that's been going for quite a
>few months.
>
>It actually smells like vanilla extract now!! Last time I smelt it, I could
>still tell it was vodka based.

My 1-L bottle that used to contain 100-proof vodka has had vanilla
beans in it for a year and a half. Nice, dark brown, and it smells
sooooooo good! And of course it's great in frostings, cookies, etc.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:45:29 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> > wrote:
>

>>With this thread, I went and checked my brew that's been going for
>>quite a few months.
>>
>>It actually smells like vanilla extract now!! Last time I smelt it, I
>>could still tell it was vodka based.

> My 1-L bottle that used to contain 100-proof vodka has had vanilla
> beans in it for a year and a half. Nice, dark brown, and it smells
> sooooooo good! And of course it's great in frostings, cookies, etc.

Now if I could just get my hands on some 100-proof.

I was going to decant my 40oz bottle at Christmas time and give out as
presents (with other home made goodies), but I might just wait and see how
it's going first.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:38:41 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:45:29 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> wrote:
>

>>With this thread, I went and checked my brew that's been going for quite a
>>few months.
>>
>>It actually smells like vanilla extract now!! Last time I smelt it, I could
>>still tell it was vodka based.

>My 1-L bottle that used to contain 100-proof vodka has had vanilla
>beans in it for a year and a half. Nice, dark brown, and it smells
>sooooooo good! And of course it's great in frostings, cookies, etc.
>
>Best -- Terry

Sounds great to me. I love the fragrance of vanilla myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote on Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:38:41 -0500:

>> With this thread, I went and checked my brew that's been
>> going for quite a few months.
>>
>> It actually smells like vanilla extract now!! Last time I
>> smelt it, I could still tell it was vodka based.

> My 1-L bottle that used to contain 100-proof vodka has had
> vanilla beans in it for a year and a half. Nice, dark brown,
> and it smells sooooooo good! And of course it's great in
> frostings, cookies, etc.

The vodka is a bit stronger than the 35% (70 proof) mentioned in "The
Joy of Cooking" but I'll bet it works well.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.ozdebate,rec.food.cooking

mmm&m wrote:
> Generous guy!!!

LOL... I wonder how many of his 'friends' will tip it down the sink the
minute he's gone?

> "PeterLucas" > wrote in message
> .25...
>> Terry > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:45:29 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas

>>> My 1-L bottle that used to contain 100-proof vodka has had vanilla
>>> beans in it for a year and a half. Nice, dark brown, and it smells
>>> sooooooo good! And of course it's great in frostings, cookies, etc.
>>>

>> Now if I could just get my hands on some 100-proof.
>>
>> I was going to decant my 40oz bottle at Christmas time and give out as
>> presents (with other home made goodies), but I might just wait and see how
>> it's going first.
>>

>> --
>> Peter Lucas
>> Brisbane
>> Australia
>>

>> If we are not meant to eat dick,
>> why are they made of meat?

Posted to alt.ozdebate,rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> mmm&m wrote:
> > Generous guy!!!

> LOL... I wonder how many of his 'friends' will tip it down the sink the
> minute he's gone?

Sounds positively *vile*, as PL describes it sounds like liquid shite to
me...maybe he grubbed it from a portable loo or something.

--
Best
Greg

> > "PeterLucas" > wrote in message
> > .25...
> >> Terry > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Now if I could just get my hands on some 100-proof.
> >>
> >> I was going to decant my 40oz bottle at Christmas time and give out as
> >> presents (with other home made goodies), but I might just wait and see

how
> >> it's going first.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Peter Lucas
> >> Brisbane
> >> Australia
> >>

> >> If we are not meant to eat dick,
> >> why are they made of meat?

Posted to alt.ozdebate,rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
>
>> mmm&m wrote:
>>> Generous guy!!!

>> LOL... I wonder how many of his 'friends' will tip it down the sink the
>> minute he's gone?

> Sounds positively *vile*, as PL describes it sounds like liquid shite to
> me...maybe he grubbed it from a portable loo or something.

That is a likely scenario. He probably followed some old prison recipe,
and used shoe laces, potato peels and dick cheese for the main ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:03:17 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.

>I have an easier solution;
>
>Get some of the small sealable jars from any kitchen supply store. You'll
>see the ones with the rubber seal and a compound wire closing system. Put 1
>or 2 vanilla beans in each and fill with sugar, regular sugar. In a few
>weeks you'll have wonderful vanilla flavored sugar to use in everything from
>balking to coffee. The best part is as you use the sugar it can be
>refilled - the flavoring ability will last for several years.
>
>Dimitri

That is nice but it is not vanilla extract and that is what I am going
to make as soon as my beans get to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Greg, next time you are in Aussie look me up.

m...