Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone tried drying limes?

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

No, but nice to see you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
tangerines.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 11:54*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
> > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> > (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> > dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> > any tips?

> No, but nice to see you.
>
> nancy

I'd try pickling some - like Moroccan preserved lemons. (just Google a
recipe).
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
>> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
>> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
>> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
>> any tips?

> Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
> tangerines.
>
> Bob

There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at wiki
with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar with the
reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch the limes
you dried?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:

> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
> who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
> dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
> them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
> nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like them
in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery stores and
they are not expensive.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
>>> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
>>> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
>>> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
>>> any tips?

>> Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
>> tangerines.
>>
>> Bob

> There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at wiki
> with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar with the
> reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch the limes
> you dried?

No, I think you'd lose too much juice if you tried to blanch them.

For M.E. cooking, have you considered pickling some? There are lots of
recipes for pickled lemons.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>>
>>> Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
>>> tangerines.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at
>> wiki with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar
>> with the reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch
>> the limes you dried?

> No, I think you'd lose too much juice if you tried to blanch them.
>
> For M.E. cooking, have you considered pickling some? There are lots of
> recipes for pickled lemons.
>
> Bob

I haven't investigated that yet. The recipes I'm seeing just say "dried
limes", but no clue as to whether they sun dry them (like in Mexico), or
pickle them. The wiki photo (with blanched limes) showed them whole, not
sliced, so I suspect the blanching was done to kill any microorganisms on or
just below the skin surface. I think I'll try a couple of whole ones done
that way on the top shelf and sliced ones lower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
newsjaBk.578$8v5.471@trnddc01...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:
>
>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
>> who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
>> dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
>> them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
>> nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like them in
> cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery stores and they
> are not expensive.

True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
with. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
> on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
> with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
> with. :-)

Juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays or in a freezer bag.
If you freeze in a bag, lay it flat when you put it in the freezer and
then break off some of it when you want to use it. Or else just
invite some friends over ‹ a BYOT party. '-0)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

On Sep 20, 12:45 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

Search <dehydrating and citrus>

http://seasoned.com/Article/1841

I would dehydrate the cirus peel separately... actually I would make
glac� lime peel... plain old dried lime peel hasn't much culinary use,
if any. Juice the limes and freeze the juice to use for various
beverages, etc., then candy the peel.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Glace'%20fruit%2C%20and%20fruit%20syrup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:23:39 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>>
>>> Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
>>> tangerines.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at wiki
>> with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar with the
>> reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch the limes
>> you dried?
>>

>No, I think you'd lose too much juice if you tried to blanch them.
>
>For M.E. cooking, have you considered pickling some? There are lots of
>recipes for pickled lemons.

No idea why you'd need to blanch them, but if you did - I'd say blanch
them whole, then slice.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> newsjaBk.578$8v5.471@trnddc01...
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:
>>
>>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
>>> who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
>>> dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
>>> them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
>>> nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

>> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like
>> them in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery
>> stores and they are not expensive.

> True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I
> have on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I
> could go nuts with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other
> issues to contend with. :-)

I'd zest the limes and dry the zest. Juice the limes and freeze the juice.
Plenty of uses for lime zest.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:42:01 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
>> on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
>> with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
>> with. :-)

>Juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays or in a freezer bag.
>If you freeze in a bag, lay it flat when you put it in the freezer and
>then break off some of it when you want to use it. Or else just
>invite some friends over ‹ a BYOT party. '-0)

You can also freeze the limes whole. I usually wash the lime or
lemons, dry the off, put them in a zip lock bag and toss in the
freezer. I let them thaw on the counter or maybe a minute or so in
the microwave and then juice. You can get more juice after freezing
and thawing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 9:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration. What
about a lime marmalade? Nothing like you are asking for, but what the
hell...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration. What
about a lime marmalade? Nothing like you are asking for, but what the
hell...

==========

I'll pass on this one. Many of the recipes I'm seeing for dried lime involve
powdering them and using them like a spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

I've dried lemon and lime *slices*, but not whole fruit. Should work
fine though.

When we have a glut of such stuff, we freeze a few whole, grate the rind
of the rest (and dry some rind as well) and squeeze the juice to freeze.
The frozen lemons/limes thaw out somewhat soft (so not good for slicing)
but good for juice and rind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
> some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
> recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
> fruit. Anyone have any tips?

No, but I just bought 3 limes from a local "tienda y taqueria". Anyone who
says I should shop at ethnic markets needs to come along with me and be able
to speak fluent Spanish. Cuban spanish, I'm guessing. The last time I went
to an ethnic market in Memphis I asked for tamales and what they sold me
were extremely sweet corn tamales which wasn't at all what I was looking
for.

There's a reason I don't shop at ethnic markets.

I only bought the limes because I'd have felt bad just walking out without
buying anything. I pointed at the limes and she said "Tres. Three? One
dollar". That much we both understood So I bought three limes. Now I
have to figure out what to do with them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:6jm2asF3vcheU1
@mid.individual.net:

> There's a reason I don't shop at ethnic markets.

I have this...I guess it's a tradition. Whenever I do an order to go from a
new chinese restaurant (I mean new to me). I always get the person who
can't talk Engrish. I also never get what I order...but enjoy the food
whatever it is.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
>> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
>> some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
>> recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
>> fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> I've dried lemon and lime *slices*, but not whole fruit. Should work
> fine though.
>
> When we have a glut of such stuff, we freeze a few whole, grate the
> rind of the rest (and dry some rind as well) and squeeze the juice to
> freeze. The frozen lemons/limes thaw out somewhat soft (so not good
> for slicing) but good for juice and rind.

Dried lime zest and ground pepper is a good mix....way better I think,
than lemon pepper.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
>> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
>> some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
>> recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
>> fruit. Anyone have any tips?

Just do a couple to start with and see how they go.

> No, but I just bought 3 limes from a local "tienda y taqueria".
> Anyone who says I should shop at ethnic markets needs to come along
> with me and be able to speak fluent Spanish. Cuban spanish, I'm
> guessing. The last time I went to an ethnic market in Memphis I asked
> for tamales and what they sold me were extremely sweet corn tamales
> which wasn't at all what I was looking for.
>
> There's a reason I don't shop at ethnic markets.

I *love* ethnic markets!!

I'll be in Kuala Lumpur in a week and a half, and will be hitting the
weekend markets first off.

It's going to be a hoot!! :-)

> I only bought the limes because I'd have felt bad just walking out
> without buying anything. I pointed at the limes and she said "Tres.
> Three? One dollar". That much we both understood So I bought
> three limes. Now I have to figure out what to do with them.

Firstly, get some tequila and some salt........... :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.ozdebate

PeterLucas wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> >> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
> >> some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
> >> recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
> >> fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> Just do a couple to start with and see how they go.

Sage advice, Dr. Einstein...!!!

> > No, but I just bought 3 limes from a local "tienda y taqueria".
> > Anyone who says I should shop at ethnic markets needs to come along
> > with me and be able to speak fluent Spanish. Cuban spanish, I'm
> > guessing. The last time I went to an ethnic market in Memphis I asked
> > for tamales and what they sold me were extremely sweet corn tamales
> > which wasn't at all what I was looking for.
> >
> > There's a reason I don't shop at ethnic markets.

> I *love* ethnic markets!!
>
> I'll be in Kuala Lumpur in a week and a half, and will be hitting the
> weekend markets first off.

Oh, I bet...what's the age of sexual consent again in Malaysia...???

> It's going to be a hoot!! :-)

I hear they sell cheap knock - off veneral disease remedies at those markets
in KL ... stock up...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> any tips?

Not for drying (sorry), but mom used to "candy" them for preservation.
You could also just juice them and freeze the juice?
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
> :
>
> > "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > newsjaBk.578$8v5.471@trnddc01...

> >> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like
> >> them in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery
> >> stores and they are not expensive.

> > True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I
> > have on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I
> > could go nuts with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other
> > issues to contend with. :-)
> >

> I'd zest the limes and dry the zest. Juice the limes and freeze the juice.
> Plenty of uses for lime zest.

Ditto.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
> > some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
> > recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
> > fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> No, but I just bought 3 limes from a local "tienda y taqueria". Anyone who
> says I should shop at ethnic markets needs to come along with me and be able
> to speak fluent Spanish. Cuban spanish, I'm guessing. The last time I went
> to an ethnic market in Memphis I asked for tamales and what they sold me
> were extremely sweet corn tamales which wasn't at all what I was looking
> for.
>
> There's a reason I don't shop at ethnic markets.
>
> I only bought the limes because I'd have felt bad just walking out without
> buying anything. I pointed at the limes and she said "Tres. Three? One
> dollar". That much we both understood So I bought three limes. Now I
> have to figure out what to do with them.
>
> Jill

Periodically, Key limes go on sale here. They are so tiny tho' they are
a PITA to juice. I recently found a very small juicer so may reconsider
it next time. They are incredibly cheap by the bag.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> >> returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
> >> some (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern
> >> recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus
> >> fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> > I've dried lemon and lime *slices*, but not whole fruit. Should work
> > fine though.
> >
> > When we have a glut of such stuff, we freeze a few whole, grate the
> > rind of the rest (and dry some rind as well) and squeeze the juice to
> > freeze. The frozen lemons/limes thaw out somewhat soft (so not good
> > for slicing) but good for juice and rind.
> >

> Dried lime zest and ground pepper is a good mix....way better I think,
> than lemon pepper.

Both have their uses. So does Orange pepper.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.ozdebate

"Moron morrow" > dribbled it's usual shit in
m:

> I hear they sell cheap knock - off veneral disease remedies at those
> markets in KL ... stock up...!!!

Why? Do you need me to send you some?

Did you pick up a dose from the young boys that you rape in the public
toilets?

But quite apart from that, I'm not your illicit drug procurer.

And it seems you're too lazy to get off your fat, fag arse and get your own
medication, so hopefully without the drugs to help you, you'll die.

One can only hope.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:22:43 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:
>
>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
>> who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
>> dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
>> them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
>> nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like them
> in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery stores and
> they are not expensive.

how are they generally used in cooking, james?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:29:50 GMT:

>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:
>>
>>> I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
>>> who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
>>> dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
>>> them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual
>>> mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any
>>> tips?

>> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you
>> like them in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle
>> Eastern grocery stores and they are not expensive.

> how are they generally used in cooking, james?

They are added to various Mediterranean stews like from Morocco and do
add to the flavor. They also crop up in recipes for Persian herbal
stews.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> They are added to various Mediterranean stews like from Morocco and do
> add to the flavor. They also crop up in recipes for Persian herbal stews.

So if I've got this right, the limes are sliced and dried, then ground
and used in recipes? You'd be eating the white pithy part of the peel
as well as the dried membrane? I'm intrigued. Corrections welcome.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> James Silverton wrote:
>> They are added to various Mediterranean stews like from Morocco and do
>> add to the flavor. They also crop up in recipes for Persian herbal stews.

> So if I've got this right, the limes are sliced and dried, then ground and
> used in recipes? You'd be eating the white pithy part of the peel as well
> as the dried membrane? I'm intrigued. Corrections welcome.
>

> --Lia

That's what some recipes say. Not all. Some. The ones that don't mention the
procedure might suggest that one can buy dried lime that's already in the
powdered state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
>
> > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> > (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> > dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> > any tips?

> I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration.

If they were inedible then your glace procedure was incorrect. When
done correctly glaced citrus is very edible, also expensive to
purchase... glaced citrus is a confection enjoyed by many, used in
many ways, can be coated with chocolate too.

There are various types of limes, those typically used for juicing are
not the same as those that are dried for other culinary use.
Dehydrating juicing limes is an exercise in futility, may as will just
toss em in the trash and save all that labor. Not all limes glace
well either, those types with thick rind work much better... just as
tangerine peel works well dehydrated for flavoring it does not lend
itself to candying.

The types of limes commonly sold in US markets are not suitible for
dehydrating.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...es-of-lime.asp

---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> merryb wrote:
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
>> > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry
>> > some
>> > (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes.
>> > The
>> > dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone
>> > have
>> > any tips?

>> I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration.

> If they were inedible then your glace procedure was incorrect. When
> done correctly glaced citrus is very edible, also expensive to
> purchase... glaced citrus is a confection enjoyed by many, used in
> many ways, can be coated with chocolate too.
>
> There are various types of limes, those typically used for juicing are
> not the same as those that are dried for other culinary use.
> Dehydrating juicing limes is an exercise in futility, may as will just
> toss em in the trash and save all that labor. Not all limes glace
> well either, those types with thick rind work much better... just as
> tangerine peel works well dehydrated for flavoring it does not lend
> itself to candying.
>
> The types of limes commonly sold in US markets are not suitible for
> dehydrating.
>
> http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...es-of-lime.asp
>

> ---

Thanks for the interesting link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 5:47*am, Sheldon > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

> > > I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
> > > returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
> > > (actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
> > > dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
> > > any tips?

> > I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration.

> If they were inedible then your glace procedure was incorrect. *When
> done correctly glaced citrus is very edible, also expensive to
> purchase... glaced citrus is a confection enjoyed by many, used in
> many ways, can be coated with chocolate too.
>
> There are various types of limes, those typically used for juicing are
> not the same as those that are dried for other culinary use.
> Dehydrating juicing limes is an exercise in futility, may as will just
> toss em in the trash and save all that labor. *Not all limes glace
> well either, those types with thick rind work much better... just as
> tangerine peel works well dehydrated for flavoring it does not lend
> itself to candying.
>
> The types of limes commonly sold in US markets are not suitible for
> dehydrating.
>
> http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...es-of-lime.asp
>
> ---

Huh? I never said they were inedible...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Huh? I never said they were inedible.

Yes you did, tacitly... "I've candied them sliced, but they were
mostly for decoration"... no one goes through the trouble of candying
citrus and then uses it for decoration, you never said it was eaten,
never mentioned how it turned out, never gave a recipe... in context
your remark was a put down. Had you omitted that silly superfluous
comma I _may_ have surmised differently... your comma indicates a
disdain for candied citrus other than as decorative... for decorative
use folks would buy relatively inexpensive (and no effort) jellied
simulated citrus. And still they'd get eaten but won't taste nearly
so good as the real deal (except to the TIADers).

http://www.candywarehouse.com/fruitslices.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> merryb wrote:
>>
>> Huh? I never said they were inedible.

> Yes you did, tacitly... "I've candied them sliced, but they were
> mostly for decoration"...

That does not imply that they were inedible.

> no one goes through the trouble of candying
> citrus and then uses it for decoration,

Apparently, someone does. She said that's what she did. Now, if you'd said
"most people don't", your words would be accurate. But, you didn't, so
they're not.

> you never said it was eaten,
> never mentioned how it turned out, never gave a recipe...

Irrelevant. Bailiff! Whack his pee-pee!

> in context
> your remark was a put down.

Meds peaking right now?

> Had you omitted that silly superfluous
> comma I _may_ have surmised differently... your comma indicates a
> disdain for candied citrus other than as decorative...

The comma indicates no such thing. Print her original comments along with
your response. Go to your nearest high school and ask an English teacher to
help you out with this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:40:08 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:29:50 GMT:

>>> I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you
>>> like them in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle
>>> Eastern grocery stores and they are not expensive.

>> how are they generally used in cooking, james?

> They are added to various Mediterranean stews like from Morocco and do
> add to the flavor. They also crop up in recipes for Persian herbal
> stews.

o.k., thanks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 10:28*am, Sheldon > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > Huh? I never said they were inedible.

> Yes you did, tacitly... "I've candied them sliced, but they were
> mostly for decoration"... no one goes through the trouble of candying
> citrus and then uses it for decoration, you never said it was eaten,
> never mentioned how it turned out, never gave a recipe... in context
> your remark was a put down. *Had you omitted that silly superfluous
> comma I _may_ have surmised differently... your comma indicates a
> disdain for candied citrus other than as decorative... for decorative
> use folks would buy relatively inexpensive (and no effort) jellied
> simulated citrus. *And still they'd get eaten but won't taste nearly
> so good as the real deal (except to the TIADers).
>
> http://www.candywarehouse.com/fruitslices.html

Well, this was when I was in school. We made lots of things that were
used for decor, all of them edible. Can't say whether or not people
ate it! I tried it, and I wouldn't call it disdain, but it's too sweet
& chewy for me. Recipe? Simmered in simple syrup until tender, then
drained on racks to dry. Ok?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 22, 10:53*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > merryb wrote:

> >> Huh? I never said they were inedible.

> > Yes you did, tacitly... "I've candied them sliced, but they were
> > mostly for decoration"...

> That does not imply that they were inedible.
>
> > no one goes through the trouble of candying
> > citrus and then uses it for decoration,

> Apparently, someone does. She said that's what she did. Now, if you'd said
> "most people don't", your words would be accurate. But, you didn't, so
> they're not.
>
> > you never said it was eaten,
> > never mentioned how it turned out, never gave a recipe...

> Irrelevant. Bailiff! Whack his pee-pee!
>
> > in context
> > your remark was a put down.

> Meds peaking right now?
>
> > Had you omitted that silly superfluous
> > comma I _may_ have surmised differently... your comma indicates a
> > disdain for candied citrus other than as decorative...

> The comma indicates no such thing. Print her original comments along with
> your response. Go to your nearest high school and ask an English teacher to
> help you out with this.

Thanks, Joe..
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.ozdebate

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:38:53 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> wrote:
>"Moron morrow" > dribbled it's usual shit in
om:

>> I hear they sell cheap knock - off veneral disease remedies at those
>> markets in KL ... stock up...!!!

>Why? Do you need me to send you some?

So... you *do* already have some!! Interesting.....

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
(http://australianopinion.com)

Not as strange as it looks!

Mexican vs. Key limes Rich[_7_] Mexican Cooking 7 26-05-2010 11:50 PM
Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 10:33 PM
limes Ms. Velveeta General Cooking 6 23-07-2007 06:53 AM
What else can I do with fresh limes? Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 48 10-08-2005 05:55 PM
"What Else Can I Do With Fresh Limes"? Norma Tassler General Cooking 0 26-02-2005 10:25 PM