Old 20-09-2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone tried drying limes?

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Old 20-09-2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

No, but nice to see you.

nancy

Old 20-09-2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
tangerines.

Bob
Old 20-09-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 11:54*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

No, but nice to see you.

nancy

I'd try pickling some - like Moroccan preserved lemons. (just Google a
recipe).
Lynn in Fargo
Old 20-09-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
tangerines.

Bob

There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at wiki
with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar with the
reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch the limes
you dried?

Old 20-09-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like them
in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery stores and
they are not expensive.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 20-09-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
tangerines.

Bob

There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at wiki
with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar with the
reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch the limes
you dried?

No, I think you'd lose too much juice if you tried to blanch them.

For M.E. cooking, have you considered pickling some? There are lots of
recipes for pickled lemons.

Bob
Old 20-09-2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

I haven't investigated that yet. The recipes I'm seeing just say "dried
limes", but no clue as to whether they sun dry them (like in Mexico), or
pickle them. The wiki photo (with blanched limes) showed them whole, not
sliced, so I suspect the blanching was done to kill any microorganisms on or
just below the skin surface. I think I'll try a couple of whole ones done
that way on the top shelf and sliced ones lower.

Old 20-09-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
news[email protected]
JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like them in
cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery stores and they
are not expensive.

True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
with. :-)

Old 20-09-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
with. :-)

Juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays or in a freezer bag.
If you freeze in a bag, lay it flat when you put it in the freezer and
then break off some of it when you want to use it. Or else just
invite some friends over a BYOT party. '-0)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance

Old 20-09-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

On Sep 20, 12:45 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

Search dehydrating and citrus

http://seasoned.com/Article/1841

I would dehydrate the cirus peel separately... actually I would make
glac� lime peel... plain old dried lime peel hasn't much culinary use,
if any. Juice the limes and freeze the juice to use for various
beverages, etc., then candy the peel.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Glace'%20fruit%2C%20and%20fruit%20syrup

Old 20-09-2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:23:39 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

No idea why you'd need to blanch them, but if you did - I'd say blanch
them whole, then slice.

Mae West
Old 20-09-2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"James Silverton" wrote in message
news[email protected]
JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:45:52 -0400:

I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend
who just returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my
dehydrator to dry some (actually most) of them so we can use
them in Middle Eastern recipes. The dehydrator manual mentions
nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have any tips?

I can see wanting to preserve a surplus of limes but, if you like
them in cooking, you can buy dried limes at Middle Eastern grocery
stores and they are not expensive.

True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I
have on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I
could go nuts with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other
issues to contend with. :-)

I'd zest the limes and dry the zest. Juice the limes and freeze the juice.
Plenty of uses for lime zest.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Old 20-09-2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:42:01 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

True, but I'm concerned that I have no way to use most of the limes I have
on hand, so preserving at least some of them would be good. I could go nuts
with 4 bottles of Tanqueray, but then I'll have other issues to contend
with. :-)

Juice them and freeze the juice in ice cube trays or in a freezer bag.
If you freeze in a bag, lay it flat when you put it in the freezer and
then break off some of it when you want to use it. Or else just
invite some friends over a BYOT party. '-0)

You can also freeze the limes whole. I usually wash the lime or
lemons, dry the off, put them in a zip lock bag and toss in the
freezer. I let them thaw on the counter or maybe a minute or so in
the microwave and then juice. You can get more juice after freezing
and thawing.
Old 20-09-2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 9:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
I'm the happy recipient of about 3 dozen limes from a friend who just
returned from New Orleans. She suggested using my dehydrator to dry some
(actually most) of them so we can use them in Middle Eastern recipes. The
dehydrator manual mentions nothing about drying citrus fruit. Anyone have
any tips?

I've candied them sliced, but they were mostly for decoration. What
about a lime marmalade? Nothing like you are asking for, but what the
hell...

Mexican vs. Key limes Rich[_7_] Mexican Cooking 7 26-05-2010 11:50 PM
Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 09:33 PM
limes Ms. Velveeta General Cooking 6 23-07-2007 06:53 AM
What else can I do with fresh limes? Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 48 10-08-2005 05:55 PM
"What Else Can I Do With Fresh Limes"? Norma Tassler General Cooking 0 26-02-2005 09:25 PM