Old 13-09-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rip-offs buying larger/bulk packages?

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Old 13-09-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

-sw

(*AFF-F)
Old 13-09-2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

Especially at HEB.

-sw

(*AFF-F)

Sorry, but ?????

Old 14-09-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet fnord newsmpomelet-3EC07C.11471313092008
@news.giganews.com:

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.

I have noticed this, too. The only time I *buy* large packages, though,
is "family packs" of meat at the mom and pop grocery down the street,
and that's only because the price per lb is cheap . For rice and
pasta, I generally get stuff at Aldi, or buy the store brand of the
whole grain variety at Meijer, both of which only come in one size.
--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Old 14-09-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet fnord newsmpomelet-D60561.12191613092008
@news.giganews.com:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery

store?

I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

Especially at HEB.

-sw

(*AFF-F)

Sorry, but ?????

You have to read alt.food.fast-food to get that.

Old 14-09-2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

Especially at HEB.

-sw

(*AFF-F)

Sorry, but ?????

Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many multiple
times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and I
try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Old 14-09-2008, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.

Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
different units for the same items....

--
Jean B.
Old 14-09-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:56:00 -0400, "Paco"
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many multiple
times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and I
try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? g

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Old 14-09-2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." fnord :

Omelet wrote:
Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.

Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
different units for the same items....

Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with different
units, it makes my brain hurt.

Old 14-09-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've only noticed it now and then, not most of the time.
Once in a blue moon the price of a larger package is
cheaper than the smaller ... like $3 for the 10 ounce package
or $2 for the 20 ounce. Crazy.

Whatever is the cheaper per unit is usually what I buy.
I agree that they don't always make sense.

Think back, they didn't used to post those unit prices, people
had to figure it out in their head. You could hurt yourself
doing all that math. Heh.

nancy

Old 14-09-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote:

"Paco"
: in rec.food.cooking

Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord
of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite
sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

Sauk died?

Brain dead. Might as well just pull the plug and send him to the
cat food factory.

-sw
Old 14-09-2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:47�pm, Omelet wrote:
Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

You also have to take into consideration how much of a particular item
you actually need. For example, if a gallon of milk is only 50 cents
more than a half gallon you would think the gallon size is the better
buy. But if you end up having to throw away most of that gallon of
milk because it sours before you can use it then you're not saving any
money. A bargain isn't a bargain if you can't actually use it.
Old 14-09-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

"Jean B." fnord
:

Omelet wrote:
Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery

store?
I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold by per lb.
weight.

Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
different units for the same items....

Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with
different units, it makes my brain hurt.

One reason I carry a calculator.

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Old 14-09-2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-09-13, Omelet wrote:
Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

Yeah, what was it? ....oh yeah, some brand of ramen noodles. $3 for 9 pkg box
or $.15 ea for singles! WTF?

nb
Old 14-09-2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:56:00 -0400, "Paco"
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
fast food and ignorance used the phrase "many multiple times" many
multiple
times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and
try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? g

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

When it concerns Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) it's the 3Ds. Department of
Duplicity Department.

;-)

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

OFFS! GoogleGroups is up to it's old DELAYS again!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 12 04-10-2011 08:32 AM
Buying Beans in Bulk? phaeton General Cooking 12 20-07-2011 04:37 PM
10 HUGE RIP-OFFS Sheldon General Cooking 33 22-11-2008 07:12 PM
Bake offs? atty Sourdough 11 13-06-2007 08:32 AM
Bulk buying chemicals/tannin etc [email protected] Winemaking 0 31-07-2005 10:01 PM