Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rip-offs buying larger/bulk packages?

Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I'm glad I watch for that...

It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
weight.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

-sw

(*AFF-F)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

> I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

Especially at HEB.

> -sw
>
> (*AFF-F)

Sorry, but ?????
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > fnord newsmpomelet-3EC07C.11471313092008
@news.giganews.com:

> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>
> I'm glad I watch for that...
>
> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> weight.

I have noticed this, too. The only time I *buy* large packages, though,
is "family packs" of meat at the mom and pop grocery down the street,
and that's only because the price per lb is cheap . For rice and
pasta, I generally get stuff at Aldi, or buy the store brand of the
whole grain variety at Meijer, both of which only come in one size.
--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > fnord newsmpomelet-D60561.12191613092008
@news.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
>> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery

store?

>> I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

> Especially at HEB.
>

>> -sw
>>
>> (*AFF-F)

> Sorry, but ?????

You have to read alt.food.fast-food to get that.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
>> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

>> I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

> Especially at HEB.
>

>> -sw
>>
>> (*AFF-F)

> Sorry, but ?????

Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many multiple
times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and I
try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>
> I'm glad I watch for that...
>
> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> weight.

Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
different units for the same items....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:56:00 -0400, "Paco" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
>fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many multiple
>times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and I
>try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > fnord :

> Omelet wrote:
>> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
>> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>>
>> I'm glad I watch for that...
>>
>> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
>> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
>> weight.

> Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
> scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
> unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
> different units for the same items....

Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with different
units, it makes my brain hurt.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

I've only noticed it now and then, not most of the time.
Once in a blue moon the price of a larger package is
cheaper than the smaller ... like $3 for the 10 ounce package
or $2 for the 20 ounce. Crazy.

Whatever is the cheaper per unit is usually what I buy.
I agree that they don't always make sense.

Think back, they didn't used to post those unit prices, people
had to figure it out in their head. You could hurt yourself
doing all that math. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote:

> "Paco" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord
>> of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
>> multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite
>> sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

> Sauk died?

Brain dead. Might as well just pull the plug and send him to the
cat food factory.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:47�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>
> I'm glad I watch for that...
>
> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> weight.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

You also have to take into consideration how much of a particular item
you actually need. For example, if a gallon of milk is only 50 cents
more than a half gallon you would think the gallon size is the better
buy. But if you end up having to throw away most of that gallon of
milk because it sours before you can use it then you're not saving any
money. A bargain isn't a bargain if you can't actually use it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

> "Jean B." > fnord
> :
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> >> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> >> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery

> store? >>
> >> I'm glad I watch for that...
> >>
> >> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> >> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold by per lb.
> >> weight.

> > Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
> > scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
> > unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
> > different units for the same items....
> >

> Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with
> different units, it makes my brain hurt.

One reason I carry a calculator.

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-09-13, Omelet > wrote:
> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

Yeah, what was it? ....oh yeah, some brand of ramen noodles. $3 for 9 pkg box
or $.15 ea for singles! WTF?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:56:00 -0400, "Paco" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
>>fast food and ignorance used the phrase "many multiple times" many
>>multiple
>>times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and
>>try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

> Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? <g>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

When it concerns Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) it's the 3Ds. Department of
Duplicity Department.

;-)

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Paco" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord
>> of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
>> multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite
>> sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

> Sauk died?
>
> Michael

Well, we all know his days are numbered. We just want to let him know that
he will be memorialized at a.f.f-f. Consider it a humanitarian effort. (or
just childish and immature fun)

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Saerah Gray > wrote:

> Omelet > fnord newsmpomelet-D60561.12191613092008
> @news.giganews.com:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> store?
> >>
> >> I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

> > Especially at HEB.
> >

> >> -sw
> >>
> >> (*AFF-F)

> > Sorry, but ?????

> You have to read alt.food.fast-food to get that.

Ah! I quit reading it some months back. ;-)
The list pretty much belongs to Sauk and it gets boring after awhile.

Plus I'm currently avoiding fast food.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Saerah Gray > wrote:

> Omelet > fnord newsmpomelet-3EC07C.11471313092008
> @news.giganews.com:
>
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
> >
> > I'm glad I watch for that...
> >
> > It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> > applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> > weight.

> I have noticed this, too. The only time I *buy* large packages, though,
> is "family packs" of meat at the mom and pop grocery down the street,
> and that's only because the price per lb is cheap . For rice and
> pasta, I generally get stuff at Aldi, or buy the store brand of the
> whole grain variety at Meijer, both of which only come in one size.

Interestingly enough, even the generic packages here are subject to
gouging.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paco" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> I've noticed that many multiple times(*)

> > Especially at HEB.
> >

> >> -sw
> >>
> >> (*AFF-F)

> > Sorry, but ?????

> Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
> fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many multiple
> times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and I
> try to use it as many multiple times as I can!
>
> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

I've enjoyed the "book of Sauk'isms" in the past when I used to read
that group. <g> Sauk is a real trip!

The scary thing is is that he and people like him can vote.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
> >
> > I'm glad I watch for that...
> >
> > It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> > applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> > weight.

> Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
> scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
> unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
> different units for the same items....

It's why I carry a calculator.
There is one built into most cellphones too.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

> I've only noticed it now and then, not most of the time.
> Once in a blue moon the price of a larger package is
> cheaper than the smaller ... like $3 for the 10 ounce package
> or $2 for the 20 ounce. Crazy.
>
> Whatever is the cheaper per unit is usually what I buy.
> I agree that they don't always make sense.
>
> Think back, they didn't used to post those unit prices, people
> had to figure it out in their head. You could hurt yourself
> doing all that math. Heh.
>
> nancy

Our local grocery store used to have the per unit price on the shelf
price tags if you look at the small print, but I've noted it's not
always there anymore!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> "Paco" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> > Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord
> > of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
> > multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite
> > sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

> Sauk died?
>
> Michael

No, they are pretending he did just to jerk his chain.

And it's working. <g> I've not read that list since February. I'm
surprised they are still keeping that up. It must still be working.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Sep 13, 12:47?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
> >
> > I'm glad I watch for that...
> >
> > It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> > applicable is in the meat section where things are sold by per lb.
> > weight.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the
> > newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

> You also have to take into consideration how much of a particular item
> you actually need. For example, if a gallon of milk is only 50 cents
> more than a half gallon you would think the gallon size is the better
> buy. But if you end up having to throw away most of that gallon of
> milk because it sours before you can use it then you're not saving any
> money. A bargain isn't a bargain if you can't actually use it.

That is a real consideration, and why I seldom buy in bulk. I'm only
feeding two people... but when it comes to other stuff like paper
towels, TP, etc., I know that that kind of item is not perishable and
will eventually get used.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> Saerah Gray wrote:
>
> > "Jean B." > fnord
> > :

> > store? >>

> > > Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
> > > scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
> > > unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
> > > different units for the same items....
> > >

> > Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with
> > different units, it makes my brain hurt.

> One reason I carry a calculator.

My cellphone has a calculator function.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2008-09-13, Omelet > wrote:
> > Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> > larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?

> Yeah, what was it? ....oh yeah, some brand of ramen noodles. $3 for 9 pkg box
> or $.15 ea for singles! WTF?
>
> nb

Yep. ;-)

Many people can't or don't bother to do the math! That was my point.
The stores are taking advantage of the mentality that bulk is supposed
to be cheaper!

And it ticks me off.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> "Paco" >
>> : in rec.food.cooking
>>

>> > Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord
>> > of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
>> > multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite
>> > sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as I can!

>> Sauk died?
>>
>> Michael

> No, they are pretending he did just to jerk his chain.
>
> And it's working. <g> I've not read that list since February. I'm
> surprised they are still keeping that up. It must still be working.
> --
> Peace! Om

Purportedly, Jerry (R.I.P.) has killfiled everybody who has made mention of
his demise, which is just about anyone who has ever posted in a.f.f-f,
except for Kilikini. But, we all know that she and Jerry (R.I.P.) have some
kind of "thing" going on, if you know what I mean! ;-) (Good thing TFM has
killefiled both of them!) Besides that I for one, am easily amused by
Usenet! :-)

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paco" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Especially at HEB.

>> > Sorry, but ?????

>> Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed overlord of
>> fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple times" many
>> multiple
>> times. I have to admit that it has become one of my favorite sayings and
>> try to use it as many multiple times as I can!
>>
>> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

> I've enjoyed the "book of Sauk'isms" in the past when I used to read
> that group. <g> Sauk is a real trip!
>
> The scary thing is is that he and people like him can vote.
> --
> Peace! Om

You've got to come back! It's a hoot! The BoS has quadrupled in size
during your absence! The current train of thought is that Jerry (R.I.P.)
since his demise has developed some sort of cult following, spearheaded by
his sister(?) Jenny posing as Jerry (R.I.P.).

And no, Jerry (R.I.P.) cannot vote. He would have to get out of his car to
enter the polling place. Until Taco Bells accept votes at the drive-thru,
Democracy is safe from him and his likes: "I would like 5 Taco Grandes, 5
Burrito Supremes, a Super-Sized Diet Coke (diet, yeah, right!) and a vote
for Ralph Nader."

All of that said, I should be killfiled by most of rfc by daybreak. Oh,
well.

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paco" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Paco" >
> >> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> Sauk died?
> >>
> >> Michael

> > No, they are pretending he did just to jerk his chain.
> >
> > And it's working. <g> I've not read that list since February. I'm
> > surprised they are still keeping that up. It must still be working.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Purportedly, Jerry (R.I.P.) has killfiled everybody who has made mention of
> his demise, which is just about anyone who has ever posted in a.f.f-f,
> except for Kilikini. But, we all know that she and Jerry (R.I.P.) have some
> kind of "thing" going on, if you know what I mean! ;-) (Good thing TFM has
> killefiled both of them!) Besides that I for one, am easily amused by
> Usenet! :-)
>
> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Usenet can be useful and educational, but most with experience use it
mostly for entertainment. <g>

I use it for both reasons, and for the life experience!
It's actually taught me a LOT about human interaction, and to not take
life (and other people, and most of all my self) so seriously. :-)

It's been good for me quite frankly.

A thick skin is not a bad thing. I just wish dad could have survived
here. It would have been good for him too. He still takes himself (and
life) WAY too seriously and was not able to adapt.

He's still shocked that I laughed when our ass hole neighbor with the
pit bulls called me a stupid ****. <g> I asked Dustin why he could not
be creative and do better than that...
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paco" > wrote:

> > I've enjoyed the "book of Sauk'isms" in the past when I used to read
> > that group. <g> Sauk is a real trip!
> >
> > The scary thing is is that he and people like him can vote.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> You've got to come back! It's a hoot! The BoS has quadrupled in size
> during your absence! The current train of thought is that Jerry (R.I.P.)
> since his demise has developed some sort of cult following, spearheaded by
> his sister(?) Jenny posing as Jerry (R.I.P.).
>
> And no, Jerry (R.I.P.) cannot vote. He would have to get out of his car to
> enter the polling place. Until Taco Bells accept votes at the drive-thru,
> Democracy is safe from him and his likes: "I would like 5 Taco Grandes, 5
> Burrito Supremes, a Super-Sized Diet Coke (diet, yeah, right!) and a vote
> for Ralph Nader."
>
> All of that said, I should be killfiled by most of rfc by daybreak. Oh,
> well.
>
> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

So publish it here. ;-) I'm already on too many lists.

And quit pretending to be Sqwertz. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paco" > wrote:
>
>> > I've enjoyed the "book of Sauk'isms" in the past when I used to read
>> > that group. <g> Sauk is a real trip!
>> >
>> > The scary thing is is that he and people like him can vote.
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> You've got to come back! It's a hoot! The BoS has quadrupled in size
>> during your absence! The current train of thought is that Jerry (R.I.P.)
>> since his demise has developed some sort of cult following, spearheaded
>> by
>> his sister(?) Jenny posing as Jerry (R.I.P.).
>>
>> And no, Jerry (R.I.P.) cannot vote. He would have to get out of his car
>> enter the polling place. Until Taco Bells accept votes at the
>> drive-thru,
>> Democracy is safe from him and his likes: "I would like 5 Taco Grandes,
>> 5
>> Burrito Supremes, a Super-Sized Diet Coke (diet, yeah, right!) and a vote
>> for Ralph Nader."
>>
>> All of that said, I should be killfiled by most of rfc by daybreak. Oh,
>> well.
>>
>> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

> So publish it here. ;-) I'm already on too many lists.
>
> And quit pretending to be Sqwertz. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

Sqwertz is the "Keeper of the BoS". {"One must bow their head when
mentioning the "Keeper of the BoS".} He was selling copies of it, but Jerry
(R.I.P.) bought up all of the copies because it included pictures of Steve
having sex with 3 women.

And the "-sw" thing is an a.f.f-f thing. I have no life... ;-) Plus, some
here think I'm Steve... it makes me giggle...

-sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paco" > wrote:

> >> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

> > So publish it here. ;-) I'm already on too many lists.
> >
> > And quit pretending to be Sqwertz. <g>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Sqwertz is the "Keeper of the BoS". {"One must bow their head when
> mentioning the "Keeper of the BoS".} He was selling copies of it, but Jerry
> (R.I.P.) bought up all of the copies because it included pictures of Steve
> having sex with 3 women.
>
> And the "-sw" thing is an a.f.f-f thing. I have no life... ;-) Plus, some
> here think I'm Steve... it makes me giggle...

<lol> Just like on one list, most of the members think I'm a guy because
my posting name is gender neutral. There are at least three people there
that know I'm a girl but keep their mouth shut because they they get a
giggle out of it too... I've never _claimed_ to be a guy, I just never
bother to correct them.

> -sw (am I supposed to sign this in every group?)

--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:56:00 -0400, "Paco" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>> Alt.food.fast-food. Jerry Sauk (R.I.P.) the self-proclaimed
>> overlord of fast food and ignorance used the phase "many multiple
>> times" many multiple times. I have to admit that it has become one
>> of my favorite sayings and I try to use it as many multiple times as
>> I can!

> Is that from the Department of Redundancy Department? <g>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Are you a Firesign Theatre fan?

Jill (I think we're all bozo's on this bus)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:
> Saerah Gray wrote:
>
>> "Jean B." > fnord
>> :

>>> Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
>>> scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
>>> unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
>>> different units for the same items....
>>>

>> Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with
>> different units, it makes my brain hurt.

> One reason I carry a calculator.

Heh. I was criticized here (what else is new?!) for using a calculator in
the grocery store to figure out what was the better deal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Omelet >
> news > rec.food.cooking
>

> > Usenet can be useful and educational, but most with experience use it
> > mostly for entertainment. <g>
> >
> > I use it for both reasons, and for the life experience!
> > It's actually taught me a LOT about human interaction, and to not take
> > life (and other people, and most of all my self) so seriously. :-)

> I had to laugh at this. Way back when God was a baby I used Usenet for
> research and education. It was wonderful. When the Internet started
> cranking along I used it for entertainmnet. Now it's just the opposite
> mostly. I use Usenet for mostly entertainment and some research and the
> Internet is my research tool. Not to say they don't switch places
> sometimes

Precisely. <g> I actually do do quite a bit of research using google for
various websites. It's a godsend really. I have at my fingertips what
would take me hours to find in a library. You just have to be careful
of what you use for references. <g>

> > It's been good for me quite frankly.
> >
> > A thick skin is not a bad thing. I just wish dad could have survived
> > here. It would have been good for him too. He still takes himself
> > (and life) WAY too seriously and was not able to adapt.
> >
> > He's still shocked that I laughed when our ass hole neighbor with the
> > pit bulls called me a stupid ****. <g> I asked Dustin why he could
> > not be creative and do better than that...

> Your dad needs to come live on my street. The older people here don't
> even know what a cell phone is. Not a bad thing IMO but still unwilling
> to embrace progress

He's just too serious. <g> He's had a little trouble adapting to a
cellphone too, but does not hesitate to call mine! He likes having me
always available to communicate, and so do I.

He's 76.

> Michael

Cheers babe, :-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > On Sep 13, 12:47?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> >> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> >> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
> >>
> >> I'm glad I watch for that...
> >>
> >> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> >> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> >> weight.
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om
> >>

> > You also have to take into consideration how much of a particular item
> > you actually need. For example, if a gallon of milk is only 50 cents
> > more than a half gallon you would think the gallon size is the better
> > buy. But if you end up having to throw away most of that gallon of
> > milk because it sours before you can use it then you're not saving any
> > money. A bargain isn't a bargain if you can't actually use it.

> Right now a local grocery store is running a "buy 6 gallons of milk get the
> 7th free!" promotion. I have no problem with freezing milk but honestly,
> what kind of deal (and I use the term lightly) is this? Who buys 7 gallons
> of milk at a time?
>
> Jill

People with large families? <g>
But still, that's a LOT of milk!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:47 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>
> I'm glad I watch for that...
>
> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
> weight.
> --
> Peace! Om

I buy by the unit price and so far haven't noticed. I just picked up
a mammoth jug of EVO - was over 25 bucks but it was the cheapest by
the ounce. Of course, it'll last me prob. 6-8 months and will need to
transfer it to smaller working bottle, but that's how I try to keep my
food budget in line. What I do notice is that everything's been
downsized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:
> "Jean B." > fnord :
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
>>> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>>>
>>> I'm glad I watch for that...
>>>
>>> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
>>> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
>>> weight.

>> Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
>> scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
>> unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
>> different units for the same items....
>>

> Oh, I hate that! I'm good at doing math in my head, but with different
> units, it makes my brain hurt.

I can only imagine that it is intentional. It's okay if the units
are related, but sometimes they aren't.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Anyone noted lately that the price per lb./oz./piece is HIGHER for
>>> larger/bulk packages most of the time any more at the grossery store?
>>>
>>> I'm glad I watch for that...
>>>
>>> It's common now for produce and dry goods. The only place it's not
>>> applicable is in the meat section where things are sold _by_ per lb.
>>> weight.

>> Not a lot of the time here, but some of the time. It is good to
>> scrutinize all of the shelf labels to ascertain the best price per
>> unit. Of course, they like to make this difficult, by employing
>> different units for the same items....

> It's why I carry a calculator.
> There is one built into most cellphones too.

Hmmm. I need to see if there's one on my cell phone. But then
there are unrelated units.

--
Jean B.

OFFS! GoogleGroups is up to it's old DELAYS again!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 12 04-10-2011 08:32 AM
Buying Beans in Bulk? phaeton General Cooking 12 20-07-2011 04:37 PM
10 HUGE RIP-OFFS Sheldon General Cooking 33 22-11-2008 08:12 PM
Bake offs? atty Sourdough 11 13-06-2007 08:32 AM
Bulk buying chemicals/tannin etc [email protected] Winemaking 0 31-07-2005 10:01 PM