FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/161421-dinner-last-night-pork.html)

TammyM 11-09-2008 07:07 PM

Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

Was wonderful! I think I went slightly overboard with the cayenne pepper in
the pork dish as it definitely set the tongue to tingling but it was
absolutely delicious. And the sweet potato dish (recipe below) paired very
nicely with it. We each had a glass of Michael-David's "7 Deadly Zins" wine
with this meal.

Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine
Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated, September, 1997)
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...recipeids=1491 (I'm pretty sure
this is free content). I added 1 tablespoon-ish of butter and about 2
tablespoons heavy cream. I didn't tell the boyo. A smidge of sat fat ain't
gonna kill that man whose metabolism is supercharged anyway.

This dish pairs beautifully with:

Sweet potatoes, apples, and braising greens Epicurious | November 2007

Traci Des Jardins
Jardinière

This recipe was created by chef Traci Des Jardins of San Francisco's
Jardinière. It's part of a special menu she created for Epicurious's
Wine.Dine.Donate program.

Makes 10 servings

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters, then
cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 3 tablespoons melted
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 medium baking apples, such as Sierra Beauty or Granny Smith, peeled,
cored, and cut into quarters
6 cups loosely packed braising greens such as kale, chard, or collard
greens, stems removed and torn into 2-inch strips
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped

*My addition:
toasted walnut halves

Preheat oven to 400°F.

On foil-lined baking sheet, toss potato slices with 3 tablespoons
melted butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake until cooked
through and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Keep warm.

In heavy medium skillet over moderate heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter.
Add apples and sauté until tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Keep
warm.

In heavy large pot over moderate heat, combine remaining 2 tablespoons
butter and 3 tablespoons water. Add greens and sauté, stirring occasionally,
until wilted, about 5 minutes. Lower heat to moderately low and add sweet
potatoes and apples.

cybercat 11-09-2008 07:58 PM

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> Was wonderful! I

It looks very good. I would like to try it with the greens separate, too.
But I would try it first as presented. I am beginning to think this sweet
kind of sauce is the very best thing to do with tenderloin, particularly
with the addition of a bitter green side.

ChattyCathy 11-09-2008 08:14 PM

TammyM wrote:

> Was wonderful! I think I went slightly overboard with the cayenne
> pepper in the pork dish as it definitely set the tongue to tingling
> but it was
> absolutely delicious.

Dang. I tried to google the 'Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with
Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated,
September, 1997)' recipe on the Cook's Illustrated site, but turns out
I have to be a member to access it. I could of course, sign up for the
14 day 'free trial' membership, but I'll pass.

Don't s'pose you'd consider sharing this recipe (in your own words, of
course) with me via email?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who has a spare pork tenderloin

Google is my Friend (GIMF)

TammyM 11-09-2008 09:39 PM

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> TammyM wrote:
>
>> Was wonderful! I think I went slightly overboard with the cayenne
>> pepper in the pork dish as it definitely set the tongue to tingling
>> but it was
>> absolutely delicious.

> Dang. I tried to google the 'Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with
> Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated,
> September, 1997)' recipe on the Cook's Illustrated site, but turns out
> I have to be a member to access it. I could of course, sign up for the
> 14 day 'free trial' membership, but I'll pass.
>
> Don't s'pose you'd consider sharing this recipe (in your own words, of
> course) with me via email?

Hmmmm. I was sure the old recipes were accessible to those without
memberships.

OK here goes. And I'll write it up exactly as I prepared it, including my
changes:

Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine
Vinegar Pan Sauce

2 1-lb pork tenderloins (orig recipe calls for 1)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Cut tenderloins into 1 inch medallions (remove silver skin first). Pound to
about 3/4" (I gave 'em one good thwack with the meat mallet). Season with
s&P. Heat oil in large heavy skillet - medium high heat. Add no more than
6 medallions to the pan. Let them sear on seasoned side for about 80
seconds (CI is VERY detailed). Season 2nd side for same amount of time.
Finish remaininng medallions. Remove from heat

Sauce Ingredients.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons sugar (I tried to cut this back by half but found the sauce
needed the 2nd teaspoon of sugar. YMMV)
Olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sherry (I used port and it was wonderful; I'm sure sherry would be
good too)
1/2 cup chicken stock (I used 8 oz)
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon butter (optional, this was my own addition after tasting the
final sauce step)
2 tablespoons heavy cream (ditto)

Mix spices/sugar. Heat oil in same pan in which pork medallions were
cooked. Add onions and cook about 2 mins, until soft and beginning to
brown. Add spice mixture, cherry and vinegar and bring to boil; scrape
bottom of pan . Reduce mixture for 2.5 minutes. (I didn't bother timing).
Increase heat to high and add chicken stock and raisins and juices released
from pork medallions. Boil vigorously until syrupy. Add butter and stir
until melted. Turn off heat and add cream. When cream is incorporated,
turn heat to medium and add pork. Coat on all sides. Allow pork to cook an
additional 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning.

TammyM 11-09-2008 09:40 PM

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> Was wonderful! I

> It looks very good. I would like to try it with the greens separate, too.
> But I would try it first as presented. I am beginning to think this sweet
> kind of sauce is the very best thing to do with tenderloin, particularly
> with the addition of a bitter green side.

The bitter greens were wonderful in the dish. Don't be afraid to change it
up, that's half the fun.

TammyM

ChattyCathy 11-09-2008 09:53 PM

TammyM wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> TammyM wrote:
>>
>>> Was wonderful! I think I went slightly overboard with the cayenne
>>> pepper in the pork dish as it definitely set the tongue to tingling
>>> but it was
>>> absolutely delicious.

>> Dang. I tried to google the 'Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with
>> Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's
>> Illustrated, September, 1997)' recipe on the Cook's Illustrated site,
>> but turns out I have to be a member to access it. I could of course,
>> sign up for the 14 day 'free trial' membership, but I'll pass.
>>
>> Don't s'pose you'd consider sharing this recipe (in your own words,
>> of course) with me via email?

> Hmmmm. I was sure the old recipes were accessible to those without
> memberships.
>
> OK here goes. And I'll write it up exactly as I prepared it,
> including my changes:
>
> Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in
> Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce

<snipped and saved>

Tammy, you are forever in my debt (well maybe not forever...)

Thanks! Gotta try this too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)

TammyM 11-09-2008 11:05 PM

Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> TammyM wrote:
>> Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in
>> Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce

> <snipped and saved>
>
> Tammy, you are forever in my debt (well maybe not forever...)

I think you have that turned around, but I know whatcha mean :-) I'd advise
trying the recipe with half of the sugar (1 tsp instead of 2) and see how
you like it. We Americans are reputed to have more of a sweet tooth than
peeps from other countries. I found it needed the extra bit but YMMV.

> Thanks! Gotta try this too.

When you do, I'd love to hear your comments. We **REALLY** liked it!

TammyM

ChattyCathy 11-09-2008 11:25 PM

TammyM wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> TammyM wrote:
>>> Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in
>>> Wine Vinegar Pan Sauce

>> <snipped and saved>
>>
>> Tammy, you are forever in my debt (well maybe not forever...)

> I think you have that turned around, but I know whatcha mean :-)

Damn, you're good :D

> I'd advise trying the recipe with half of the sugar (1 tsp instead of

2)
> and see how
> you like it. We Americans are reputed to have more of a sweet tooth
> than
> peeps from other countries. I found it needed the extra bit but YMMV.

Nope. We fall under the 'sweet tooth' category in this house too, so
I'll stick to the 2 tsp(s).

>> Thanks! Gotta try this too.

> When you do, I'd love to hear your comments. We **REALLY** liked it!

Will do!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)

Christine Dabney 12-09-2008 12:47 AM

Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:07:32 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>Sweet potatoes, apples, and braising greens Epicurious | November 2007

This sounds very good to me. I was in the Mexican mercado this
morning after work, and found that they had a huge pile of sweet
potatoes... I think they were the new crop. Sure looked good, and I
got several.

Now to find the right apples... I am keeping my eyes open for
winesaps at the local farmers markets..

Christine

TammyM[_2_] 12-09-2008 12:53 AM

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:07:32 -0700, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
>

>>Sweet potatoes, apples, and braising greens Epicurious | November 2007

> This sounds very good to me. I was in the Mexican mercado this
> morning after work, and found that they had a huge pile of sweet
> potatoes... I think they were the new crop. Sure looked good, and I
> got several.
>
> Now to find the right apples... I am keeping my eyes open for
> winesaps at the local farmers markets..

I used a granny smith and a gala. I liked the combo and Michael did too -
although he's more of a "eat to live" guy and all this over-analyzing of
food is very new to him and he's still fearful that I'm going to be upset if
he doesn't like something. I keep telling him "if you don't like the dish
and you don't tell me what you really think, yer gonna get it again. Just
be gentle with me :-)". But we both loved this dish and the pork tenderloin
dish in combination . What's not to love? Pork, apples, sweet potatoes and
bitter greens? Match made in heaven.

TammM

koko 12-09-2008 03:48 AM

Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:07:32 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

snip to my lou

>Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine
>Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated, September, 1997)
>http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...recipeids=1491 (I'm pretty sure
>this is free content). I added 1 tablespoon-ish of butter and about 2
>tablespoons heavy cream.

From what I've heard Cook's Illustrated can get a little testy. Read
this bloggers experience with them.
http://aloshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2...al-or-not.html

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/06

Christine Dabney 12-09-2008 04:01 AM

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:48:43 -0700, koko > wrote:

>From what I've heard Cook's Illustrated can get a little testy. Read
>this bloggers experience with them.
>http://aloshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2...al-or-not.html

Okay, now you have done it. LOL.

I just added about 3-4 other food blogs to my bookmarks. Now, I have
a list about a mile long of food blogs.

I think it is time to start that thread on favorite food blogs...
Game?

Christine

blake murphy[_2_] 12-09-2008 03:46 PM

Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:48:43 -0700, koko wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:07:32 -0700, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
>
> snip to my lou
>

>>Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Warm Spices and Raisins in Wine
>>Vinegar Pan Sauce (Cook's Illustrated, September, 1997)
>>http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...recipeids=1491 (I'm pretty sure
>>this is free content). I added 1 tablespoon-ish of butter and about 2
>>tablespoons heavy cream.

> From what I've heard Cook's Illustrated can get a little testy. Read
> this bloggers experience with them.
> http://aloshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2...al-or-not.html
>
> koko

personally, i thought the lady from cook's illustrated had some good
points, and the blog lady sounded a little unhinged.

your pal,
blake