Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default eating to survive

What tip would you offer for eating 'well' on very little/no money?

Mine is coffee. Instant is much more expensive (and less tasty) than
the real stuff you can buy at any supermarket.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > fnord
:

> The message
> >
> from contains these words:
>
>> What tip would you offer for eating 'well' on very little/no money?

> Cook from scratch. Lots of cheap vegetables, lentils, beans, rice,
> pasta, soup. Eggs, tinned bony fish

When I make things with canned salmon, I nearly always smash up the
bones and add them in. Calcium!

>and peanut butter are cheap sources
> of protein, calcium, vitamins, oil.. Avoid waste; plan shopping and
> menus a week ahead, make any leftovers into something else. Share

buying
> and cooking food with friends.

If you watch the sales, have a freezer, and are able to buy a few pounds
of meat a week, you can stock up a little. I work on a pretty tight
budget, but we have meat 4-5 times a week, and I never pay full price. I
cook for two, and I can get at least 3 meals out of a whole chicken. Cut
it up, save one breast, both wings, and the back for a small pot of
soup, bake the legs for another meal, and cook the other breast for
small pot pies or chicken salad. Or roast it whole and make a big pot
pie out of the leftovers, and stock out of the bones to make soup with
less meat in it (I use this for vegetable noodle soup)

Half pork loins, cut up yourself at home, are cheaper than boneless
chops/roasts/'stir fry' meat.

Bacon, bought on sale, is good for flavoring egg dishes and beans-and
rice things, and a little goes a long way.

Many places will grind up roasts for you for free (usually cheaper than
buying the pre-ground stuff- even safer is grinding it yourself, but
meat grinders cost $$)

These strategies do require having the money for a few weeks of food
ahead of time, though, and lots of planning, so you don't end up with
food sitting in the freezer, not being eaten.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

> When I make things with canned salmon, I nearly always smash up the
> bones and add them in. Calcium!

I take 'em out and eat them separately before I start making
whatever it is I'm making.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Saerah Gray wrote:
>
>> When I make things with canned salmon, I nearly always smash up the
>> bones and add them in. Calcium!

> I take 'em out and eat them separately before I start making whatever it
> is I'm making.

When I was a kid my mother always used to take the bones out. I was
surprised to see a friend making salmon salad and leaving them in.
realizing how soft and easily mashed they are I have been living them in
ever since. I have to admit i was never inspired to take them out and
eat them separately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 11 Sep 2008 11:44:17a, Dave Smith told us...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Saerah Gray wrote:
>>
>>> When I make things with canned salmon, I nearly always smash up the
>>> bones and add them in. Calcium!

>> I take 'em out and eat them separately before I start making whatever it
>> is I'm making.

> When I was a kid my mother always used to take the bones out. I was
> surprised to see a friend making salmon salad and leaving them in.
> realizing how soft and easily mashed they are I have been living them in
> ever since. I have to admit i was never inspired to take them out and
> eat them separately.

My mother always removed the skin and bones. I still do. Old habits die
hard. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 4dys 12hrs 10mins
Basic is a high level languish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 11 Sep 2008 11:44:17a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I take 'em out and eat them separately before I start making
>>> whatever it is I'm making.

>> When I was a kid my mother always used to take the bones out. I was
>> surprised to see a friend making salmon salad and leaving them in.
>> realizing how soft and easily mashed they are I have been living
>> them in ever since. I have to admit i was never inspired to take
>> them out and eat them separately.
>>

> My mother always removed the skin and bones. I still do. Old habits
> die hard. :-)

I always remove the bones and the skin, too. For some reason the thought of
eating them creeps me out.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 11 Sep 2008 01:58:59p, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> My mother always removed the skin and bones. I still do. Old habits
>> die hard. :-)

> I always remove the bones and the skin, too. For some reason the
> thought of eating them creeps me out.
>
> kili

Me, too!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 4dys 10hrs
I've wasted an excellent opportunity
to remain silent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > fnord
5.247:

> On Thu 11 Sep 2008 11:44:17a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I take 'em out and eat them separately before I start making
>>> whatever it is I'm making.

>> When I was a kid my mother always used to take the bones out. I was
>> surprised to see a friend making salmon salad and leaving them in.
>> realizing how soft and easily mashed they are I have been living them
>> in ever since. I have to admit i was never inspired to take them out
>> and eat them separately.
>>

> My mother always removed the skin and bones. I still do. Old habits
> die hard. :-)

My mom used to mash them both into the rest of the fish, but now that
she has a dog, Annie gets the bones and skin. She used to stand there
and whine whenever I was picking out the bones and skin in the colander

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

> Give up coffee!

I often wonder about it. I should google that too. but maybe I've developed
a resistance too it. the last drink I have every almost night is, you've
guessed it, a large mug of the stuff,

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> When I was a kid my mother always used to take the bones out. I was
> >> surprised to see a friend making salmon salad and leaving them in.
> >> realizing how soft and easily mashed they are I have been living
> >> them in ever since. I have to admit i was never inspired to take
> >> them out and eat them separately.
> >>

> > My mother always removed the skin and bones. I still do. Old habits
> > die hard. :-)

> I always remove the bones and the skin, too. For some reason the thought of
> eating them creeps me out.
>
> kili

I remove the bones too, but for me, it's a texture thing. I don't like
to leave the bones in. I remove them and give them to the cats.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > What tip would you offer for eating 'well' on very little/no money?
> >
> > Mine is coffee. Instant is much more expensive (and less tasty) than
> > the real stuff you can buy at any supermarket.

> Give up coffee!
>
> If you're in danger of NOT SURVIVING, you don't need coffee. You'd be better
> off spending that money on FOOD staples. Omelet listed several already:
> rice, beans, and corn tortillas. To that list I'd add eggs and milk
> (assuming you have a way to refrigerate the milk -- eggs can stay on the
> counter for a few days if necessary).
>
> Bob

I keep eggs in my locker at work to keep others from taking them.
They are fine for a week or so as long as the shells are intact!

I used to store eggs for hatching at room temp for a maximum of 10 days
to collect enough bantam eggs to set all at once. For those tho', you
need to gently turn the cartons over once or twice per day to keep the
eggs viable. I had up to 80% hatch rates.

There are also powdered eggs available, but those are not inexpensive.

Powdered milk is.

There is an entire world of beans. :-) I just made a 15 bean soup from
a pre-mix and am really enjoying it! Lentils and split peas too.

If you visit an asian market, there is also a huge variety of rice.

Other cheap foods too include pastas, barley, oats, and other grains.

It's MEAT that is expensive. :-(

Leafy greens such as lettuce and cabbage work, as do root veggies like
potatoes and carrots.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gill Smith" > wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>
> > Give up coffee!

> I often wonder about it. I should google that too. but maybe I've developed
> a resistance too it. the last drink I have every almost night is, you've
> guessed it, a large mug of the stuff,

A gastroenterologist told me to give up coffee and most of the GI issues
would go away.

He was right.

I gave it up, felt better and started drinking it again when I first
started working night shifts...

and promptly got really ill again.

Gave it up now and have not looked back except for the occasional cup of
mocha as a treat in the winter with heavy cream and brandy. ;-d

He said it's not the caffeine so decaf would not do. It's all the other
nasty oils and acids in coffee...

I use green tea now as a "wake me up".
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Gill Smith" > wrote:
>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Give up coffee!

>> I often wonder about it. I should google that too. but maybe I've
>> developed a resistance too it. the last drink I have every almost
>> night is, you've guessed it, a large mug of the stuff,

> A gastroenterologist told me to give up coffee and most of the GI
> issues would go away.
>
> He was right.
>
> I gave it up, felt better and started drinking it again when I first
> started working night shifts...
>
> and promptly got really ill again.
>
> Gave it up now and have not looked back except for the occasional cup
> of mocha as a treat in the winter with heavy cream and brandy. ;-d
>
> He said it's not the caffeine so decaf would not do. It's all the
> other nasty oils and acids in coffee...
>
> I use green tea now as a "wake me up".

Yep, I can't even drink decaf either. I originally thought it *was* the
caffeine because I can't drink diet coke or diet pepsi or even caffeinated
tea.

Oh well. I like my herbal tea, now. It's soothing and warm. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> Oh well. I like my herbal tea, now. It's soothing and warm. :~)

I have one cup of regular coffee every day and I love it. More than one cup
and I feel like I've been poisoned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote

> For _no_ money, the answer is: Learn to cook interesting things with
> whatever the food shelves provide.

A better idea is to get a job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > fnord
> news:48cac007$0$60073$804603d3 @auth.newsreader.iphouse.com:
>
> > Shawn Hirn wrote:
> >
> >> In article
> >>

> >,

> money? >> >

> than
> >>
> >> Shop at discount grocery stores such as Aldi.

> > That's assuming you have some money.
> >
> > That aside: the ordinary supermarkets near me have some things

> cheaper
> > than Aldi does. I'm not talking about specials -- these aren't
> > advertised. For example, the Cub near Lake and Minnehaha

> (Minneapolis,
> > MN) has an area in which everything is priced under $2.
> >

> Just because it's priced under $2 does not mean it is a good deal.
> I've done a lot of price comparisons, and when it comes to packaged
> food, I have seen very few things at "regular" grocery stores that
> even come close to Aldi prices, except when store brand stuff is on
> sale.

For _some_ things at _this_ store, the prices are lower than Aldi's for
what seems to be the same quality.

> > For no money, the answer is: Learn to cook interesting things with
> > whatever the food shelves provide.
> >

> Shopping in the pantry is always a fun game!

I once read a magazine article which said that a good cook could make a
meal out of whatever was in the refrigerator.

I looked in the refrigerator: peanut butter and catfood.

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal
http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> A better idea is to get a job.

Problem is, having made such a mental adjustment to living on very little,
extra income could now only be 'wasted'.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I often wonder about it. I should google that too. but maybe I've
> >> developed a resistance too it. the last drink I have every almost
> >> night is, you've guessed it, a large mug of the stuff,

> > A gastroenterologist told me to give up coffee and most of the GI
> > issues would go away.
> >
> > He was right.
> >
> > I gave it up, felt better and started drinking it again when I first
> > started working night shifts...
> >
> > and promptly got really ill again.
> >
> > Gave it up now and have not looked back except for the occasional cup
> > of mocha as a treat in the winter with heavy cream and brandy. ;-d
> >
> > He said it's not the caffeine so decaf would not do. It's all the
> > other nasty oils and acids in coffee...
> >
> > I use green tea now as a "wake me up".

> Yep, I can't even drink decaf either. I originally thought it *was* the
> caffeine because I can't drink diet coke or diet pepsi or even caffeinated
> tea.
>
> Oh well. I like my herbal tea, now. It's soothing and warm. :~)
>
> kili

And so many varieteas! <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote
> >
> > For _no_ money, the answer is: Learn to cook interesting things with
> > whatever the food shelves provide.
> >

> A better idea is to get a job.

Not all jobs pay well. Who the hell can live on minimum wage, even with
the increase?
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Sep 2008 04:02:31 GMT, Dan Goodman wrote:

> I once read a magazine article which said that a good cook could make a
> meal out of whatever was in the refrigerator.
>
> I looked in the refrigerator: peanut butter and catfood.

hmm....this sounds like a case for dan's mystery appetizer!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2008 04:02:31 GMT, Dan Goodman wrote:
> >
> > I once read a magazine article which said that a good cook could make a
> > meal out of whatever was in the refrigerator.
> >
> > I looked in the refrigerator: peanut butter and catfood.

> hmm....this sounds like a case for dan's mystery appetizer!
>
> your pal,
> blake

<snicker> As a cracker spread? ;-D
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:52:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On 13 Sep 2008 04:02:31 GMT, Dan Goodman wrote:
>>>
>>> I once read a magazine article which said that a good cook could make a
>>> meal out of whatever was in the refrigerator.
>>>
>>> I looked in the refrigerator: peanut butter and catfood.

>> hmm....this sounds like a case for dan's mystery appetizer!
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> <snicker> As a cracker spread? ;-D

do you mean on crackers or for crackers?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:52:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> hmm....this sounds like a case for dan's mystery appetizer!
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > <snicker> As a cracker spread? ;-D

> do you mean on crackers or for crackers?
>
> your pal,
> blake

ON crackers... if you have any in the cabinet. ;-)