Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss

Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss

Salmon Fillet, skin on, size to suit, but thick rather than thin.

White Wine

Worchester Sauce

Bay Shrimp

Swiss Cheese (Use a good quality like Jarlsburg)

Butter

Fresh Ground Pepper

Start with your Salmon filet, and make a shallow plate by folding the sides
of Heavy Duty tin foil slightly taller and bigger than the fillet.

Place your fillet skin side down in the foil plate.

Place some knobs of butter on the fillet

Grind fresh Black Pepper to taste

Pour White wine around the fillet. Enough to half way cover the fillet.

This is a good time to pour yourself a glass too !

Add a few drops of Worchester sauce into the wine (Not too much, the stuff
can be over powering)

BBQ on High

Carefully Place the foil plate with the salmon on the BBQ and close the lid.

Cook until it is about half done and no more.

Place enough bay shrimp on top of the salmon to cover it well.

Put enough grated Swiss Cheese over the Bay shrimp to cover the shrimp

The wine should be bubbling nicely at this point but not gone.

Close the BBQ Lid and turn off the BBQ. The cheese will melt and the salmon
will continue cooking in the hot wine.

The skin of the salmon will stick to the foil when you serve it (this is a
good thing).

Use a spatula and take out individual pieces. Spoon the remaining sauce over
the salmon on the individual serving plates, Or the whole piece on a serving
platter.

Serve with fresh Asparagus or a nice green salad. Oh and more chilled white
wine !!!!

From the personal home recipes of G Liddell. Enjoy !

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 9, 3:13*pm, "Garry Liddell" > wrote:
> Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss
> [snip]
>
> Start with your Salmon filet, and make a shallow plate by folding the sides
> of Heavy Duty tin foil slightly taller and bigger than the fillet.
> [snip]
>
> BBQ on High
> Carefully Place the foil plate with the salmon on the BBQ and close the lid.
> Cook until it is about half done and no more.
> Place enough bay shrimp on top of the salmon to cover it well.
> Put enough grated Swiss Cheese over the Bay shrimp to cover the shrimp
> The wine should be bubbling nicely at this point but not gone.
> Close the BBQ Lid and turn off the BBQ. The cheese will melt and the salmon
> will continue cooking in the hot wine. [snip]

The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me. I'm
curious to know what you find to be the benefits of this cooking
method. Seems to me you could get the same result easier in a covered
frypan on the stove (without the foil). -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote
>The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure don't want
cheese anywhere near either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:37:57 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Sep 9, 3:13*pm, "Garry Liddell" > wrote:
>> Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss
>> [snip]
>>
>> Start with your Salmon filet, and make a shallow plate by folding the sides
>> of Heavy Duty tin foil slightly taller and bigger than the fillet.
>> [snip]
>>
>> BBQ on High
>> Carefully Place the foil plate with the salmon on the BBQ and close the lid.
>> Cook until it is about half done and no more.
>> Place enough bay shrimp on top of the salmon to cover it well.
>> Put enough grated Swiss Cheese over the Bay shrimp to cover the shrimp
>> The wine should be bubbling nicely at this point but not gone.
>> Close the BBQ Lid and turn off the BBQ. The cheese will melt and the salmon
>> will continue cooking in the hot wine. [snip]

>The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me. I'm
>curious to know what you find to be the benefits of this cooking
>method. Seems to me you could get the same result easier in a covered
>frypan on the stove (without the foil). -aem

While the recipe doesn't appeal to me either for the same reasons, I
prefer to bake my salmon if I'm making a wine sauce.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "aem" > wrote
>>The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me.

> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure don't
> want cheese anywhere near either.

Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do this
several times every year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:41:23 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "aem" > wrote
>>>The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me.

>> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure don't
>> want cheese anywhere near either.

>Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do this
>several times every year.

For some reason, cream cheese is cheese in name only for me. It's a
spread. I've tried mayo as a topping. It puffs up, browns and makes
a very pretty presentation.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:41:23 -0700, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>

>>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "aem" > wrote
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure don't
>>> want cheese anywhere near either.

>>Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do this
>>several times every year.
>>

> For some reason, cream cheese is cheese in name only for me. It's a
> spread. I've tried mayo as a topping. It puffs up, browns and makes
> a very pretty presentation.

This reminds me of Crab Imperial. I used to serve it in a shell ramekin
topped with Hollandaise then put in the broiler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 10:41 pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "aem" > wrote
> >>The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me.

> > Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure don't
> > want cheese anywhere near either.

> Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do this
> several times every year.

Too fancy for me. I love salmon any way, but my favorite prep is
frozen raw chunks. Really.

bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Sep 9, 3:13 pm, "Garry Liddell" > wrote:
>> Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss
>> [snip]
>>
>> Start with your Salmon filet, and make a shallow plate by folding
>> the sides of Heavy Duty tin foil slightly taller and bigger than the
>> fillet. [snip]
>>
>> BBQ on High
>> Carefully Place the foil plate with the salmon on the BBQ and close
>> the lid. Cook until it is about half done and no more.
>> Place enough bay shrimp on top of the salmon to cover it well.
>> Put enough grated Swiss Cheese over the Bay shrimp to cover the
>> shrimp
>> The wine should be bubbling nicely at this point but not gone.
>> Close the BBQ Lid and turn off the BBQ. The cheese will melt and the
>> salmon will continue cooking in the hot wine. [snip]

> The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me. I'm
> curious to know what you find to be the benefits of this cooking
> method. Seems to me you could get the same result easier in a covered
> frypan on the stove (without the foil). -aem

I would have to agree with you. I can see stuffed salmon - shrimp is in the
stuffing - but no cheese. I've used the foil method he's talking about for
grilled salmon and, like him, have used wine, but I've also used sweet onion
slivers, dill, and fresh lemon slices with that method. NO CHEESE!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "aem" > wrote
>>> The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me.

>> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure
>> don't want cheese anywhere near either.

> Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do
> this several times every year.

I've never thought of that!!! That's an excellent idea, Mike, thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:41:23 -0700, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>

>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "aem" > wrote
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure
>>> don't want cheese anywhere near either.

>> Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do
>> this several times every year.
>>

> For some reason, cream cheese is cheese in name only for me. It's a
> spread. I've tried mayo as a topping. It puffs up, browns and makes
> a very pretty presentation.

I like mayo on fish sometimes, too. Another thing mayo is good for is to
help keep breadcrumbs on if you don't feel like doing the flour, egg, and
crumb mixture. (Sometimes I get lazy.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "aem" > wrote
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want shrimp with my salmon and I sure
>>> don't want cheese anywhere near either.

>> Ahhh but grilled Salmon with cream cheese on it is fantastic I do
>> this several times every year.

> I've never thought of that!!! That's an excellent idea, Mike, thanks!

I think I like my salmon straight up. A little butter, maybe some fresh
dill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a very
good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from folks I
have served it to.

Perhaps it could be that a lot of you live in areas where Salmon is not as
readily available as it is here in the pacific north west. Just as a side
note, I have been fishing for my own caught Salmon here for forty years and
I have tried just about every imaginable way to cook it that there is.
Another favorite way of mine is to cook it on a alder wood plank.

Oh and by the way, the recipe I shared goes very well accompanied with a
nice Oregon Pinot Noir. Some of you that seem to be grossed out, I would
sure encourage you to try it before saying "yuck"

before it even touches your taste buds

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Garry Liddell" > wrote in message
> Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a
> very good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from
> folks I have served it to.

Gary, don't take it personally!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Garry Liddell" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a
> very good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from
> folks I > have served it to.

I am too. Gratuitous criticism doesn't seem very civilized.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Garry Liddell" > wrote in message
>> Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a
>> very good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from
>> folks I have served it to.

> Gary, don't take it personally!

How the hell else is he supposed to take it? It's his recipe and his folks
like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Garry Liddell" > wrote in message
>>> Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a
>>> very good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from
>>> folks I have served it to.

>> Gary, don't take it personally!

> How the hell else is he supposed to take it? It's his recipe and his
> folks like it.

I don't know what YOU saw, but comments I saw said things like, "I don't
think I would like that combination." Not exactly savage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Garry Liddell wrote:
> Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are. I was simply sharing a very
> good recipe and frankly, one that gets incredible compliments from folks I
> have served it to.

Critical? I went back and read the responses and what I saw was a
number of comments that it was that salmon shrimp and Swiss cheese is
not an appealing combination. I have to admit that it does not appeal to
me either.

> Perhaps it could be that a lot of you live in areas where Salmon is not as
> readily available as it is here in the pacific north west. Just as a side
> note, I have been fishing for my own caught Salmon here for forty years and
> I have tried just about every imaginable way to cook it that there is.
> Another favorite way of mine is to cook it on a alder wood plank.
>
> Oh and by the way, the recipe I shared goes very well accompanied with a
> nice Oregon Pinot Noir. Some of you that seem to be grossed out, I would
> sure encourage you to try it before saying "yuck"

I didn't see any responses that people were grossed out, and no one said
"yuk", just comments that it did not sound like an appealing combination.

> before it even touches your taste buds

If you want something new with trout, try baking it in phyllo pastry.
Cut sheets of pyhllou in half and butter each ssch shet and sprinkle a
few sesame seeds on them. Use four (half) sheets per serving. Place a
serving size piece of fillet on the stack of prepared phyllo sheets.
Sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper, then add a spoonful of finely
chopped onion, a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, a spoonful of orange juice and
some fresh chopped dill. Fold the phyllo over the fillets to make
packets, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake
at 425 for about 20 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> If you want something new with trout, try baking it in phyllo pastry.
> Cut sheets of pyhllou in half and butter each ssch shet and sprinkle a
> few sesame seeds on them. Use four (half) sheets per serving. Place a
> serving size piece of fillet on the stack of prepared phyllo sheets.
> Sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper, then add a spoonful of
> finely chopped onion, a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, a spoonful of orange
> juice and some fresh chopped dill. Fold the phyllo over the fillets
> to make packets, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame
> seeds. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.

That sounds tasty! I wonder if it would work with a simple white fish, like
whiting, cod, or pollock? Those are readily available at my grocery store,
but I don't normally see trout. Now that I think about it, I have puff
pastry sheets and pollock in my freezer right now. I wonder if puff would
work? I may have to experiment this weekend. Thanks for the idea, Dave.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:57:29 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> If you want something new with trout, try baking it in phyllo pastry.
>> Cut sheets of pyhllou in half and butter each ssch shet and sprinkle a
>> few sesame seeds on them. Use four (half) sheets per serving. Place a
>> serving size piece of fillet on the stack of prepared phyllo sheets.
>> Sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper, then add a spoonful of
>> finely chopped onion, a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, a spoonful of orange
>> juice and some fresh chopped dill. Fold the phyllo over the fillets
>> to make packets, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame
>> seeds. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.

>That sounds tasty! I wonder if it would work with a simple white fish, like
>whiting, cod, or pollock? Those are readily available at my grocery store,
>but I don't normally see trout. Now that I think about it, I have puff
>pastry sheets and pollock in my freezer right now. I wonder if puff would
>work?

Yes. Google salmon wellington.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:20:44 -0700, "Garry Liddell"
> wrote:

>Wow, I'm amazed at how critical most of you are.

Soon you will discover that there is a "circle" of RFC mavens that
will condemn any recipe. What is even more shocking.....they have
NEVER even tried the recipe. You could post a recipe from a Le
Cordon Bleu executive chef they the small ones here would critique
and belittle their years of training and talent.

Here is one of my favorite Salmon recipes. The extra work will
impress all your guests.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Salmon Wellington

fish, seafood

8 salmon fillets, 6 oz. each
1 egg yolk glaze
1 pkg puff pastry
----MUSHROOM ONION FILLING----
3 tablespoon butter
1 salt & pepper
1 lb mushrooms, chopped
2 onions, chopped
----LIGHT WHITE WINE SAUCE----
6 tablespoon dry white wine
6 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoon shallots, minced
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt & white pepper
2 tablespoon parsley, minced

Make mushroom onion filling: Melt butter or margarine in skillet and
saut‚
onion until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until
most
of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste. Remove to bowl and
chill.

*Filling may be refrigerated up to 2 days or may be frozen.

Roll half the pastry on a floured board into a rectangle approximately
14
inches long and 12 inches wide. Cut into 4 rectangles. Repeat with
remaining dough.

Place salmon fillets on a greased baking sheet. Tuck the thinner parts
of
fillet underneath, making them all the same thickness. Divide mushroom
onion filling among the fillets and spread evenly on top. Cover each
with
a rectangle of pastry. Tuck 1/2 inch of pastry under fillets; trim off
excess dough. Do not cover the entire bottom with pastry or it will
become
soggy. Brush top and sides with egg yolk glaze, being careful not to
let
glaze drip. Re-roll scraps of pastry and cut out small decorations.
Place
on Wellingtons and glaze the entire pastry again.

*May be refrigerated up to 8 hours.

Make light white wine sauce: Place wine, vinegar and shallots or onion
in
medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until
slightly thickened and reduced to approximately 4 tablespoons. Slowly
whisk in the cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce
thickens to
desired consistency. This will take a little time, but as the water
evaporates from the cream, it will thicken. Season to taste with salt
and
pepper. Stir in chives or parsley. Reheat before serving. If sauce
becomes
too thick, thin down with additional wine or cream. Serve hot.

Before serving, bring Wellingtons to room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat
oven to 425F. Bake Wellingtons for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry
is
golden. At this time, if the fillets are 3/4 inch thick, they will be
moist and flaky. Spoon a small amount of sauce on each plate, place
Wellingtons on sauce and pass remaining sauce.

Yield: 8 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have to admit that it does not appeal to
>me either.

If it doesn't appeal to you...my momma told me to shut my mouth and ya
skip it. Don't you understand that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> Here is one of my favorite Salmon recipes. The extra work will
> impress all your guests.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Salmon Wellington

<snipped for space>

Heh, I have tried this recipe (or something damn close) and it was
pretty good. But it wasn't that much 'work', IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 5:35 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > Here is one of my favorite Salmon recipes. The extra work will
> > impress all your guests.

> > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> > Salmon Wellington

> <snipped for space>
>
> Heh, I have tried this recipe (or something damn close) and it was
> pretty good. But it wasn't that much 'work', IMHO.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Google is my Friend (GIMF)

This is the simplest soup I've ever made or heard of, and delicious.

Water, salmon, fiddlehead fern.

That's it, no salt, dill, garlic - nuthin'

Because I don't konw where to get fiddleheads, I used spinach, but
still great simple soup.

Bulka
(ashamed to admit I got the recipie from the Frug)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I have to admit that it does not appeal to
>> me either.

> If it doesn't appeal to you...my momma told me to shut my mouth and ya
> skip it. Don't you understand that?
>\

I did just that until the OP whined about criticism. I don't really
consider comments that it doesn't sound like an appealing combination to
be criticism.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> On Sep 10, 5:35 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>

> This is the simplest soup I've ever made or heard of, and delicious.
>
> Water, salmon, fiddlehead fern.
>
> That's it, no salt, dill, garlic - nuthin'
>
> Because I don't konw where to get fiddleheads, I used spinach, but
> still great simple soup.

I think I would be more inclined to substitute asparagus than spinach
for fiddleheads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:57:29 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want something new with trout, try baking it in phyllo
>>> pastry. Cut sheets of pyhllou in half and butter each ssch shet and
>>> sprinkle a few sesame seeds on them. Use four (half) sheets per
>>> serving. Place a serving size piece of fillet on the stack of
>>> prepared phyllo sheets. Sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper,
>>> then add a spoonful of finely chopped onion, a 1/2 tsp of brown
>>> sugar, a spoonful of orange juice and some fresh chopped dill. Fold
>>> the phyllo over the fillets to make packets, brush with melted
>>> butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 425 for about 20
>>> minutes.

>> That sounds tasty! I wonder if it would work with a simple white
>> fish, like whiting, cod, or pollock? Those are readily available at
>> my grocery store, but I don't normally see trout. Now that I think
>> about it, I have puff pastry sheets and pollock in my freezer right
>> now. I wonder if puff would work?

> Yes. Google salmon wellington.
>
> Lou

Ah! I should have thought of that. Thanks, Lou. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 7:11 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> bulka wrote:
> > On Sep 10, 5:35 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> > This is the simplest soup I've ever made or heard of, and delicious.

> > Water, salmon, fiddlehead fern.

> > That's it, no salt, dill, garlic - nuthin'

> > Because I don't konw where to get fiddleheads, I used spinach, but
> > still great simple soup.

> I think I would be more inclined to substitute asparagus than spinach
> for fiddleheads.

Yeah, relative to the authenticity paprikasz thread -

You use use what you have or what you know. Asparagus sounds good,
too.

I've never eaten or even seen a fiddlehead . Next spring I'll see if
I can find or grow some here in SE MIichigan.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio news>
Billy wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:47 ->>
>>> I have to admit that it does not appeal to >>> me either.

>> If it doesn't appeal to you...my momma told me to shut my mouth and ya>>
>> skip it. Don't you understand that? \

> I did just that until the OP whined about criticism. I don't really
> consider comments that it doesn't sound like an appealing combination to
> be criticism.

But it is criticism as the word is understood in English. Some here seem to
feel they have to say something on every thread, and it is often negative.
Others are looking for an opportunity to say they know better or to say what
they would have done.

I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish. I also did not
post anything until the veritable waterfall of cranky criticism had fallen.
Seems a shameful way to treat an earnest cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> news> Billy wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:47 ->>
>>>
>>> If it doesn't appeal to you...my momma told me to shut my mouth and
>>> ya>>
>>> skip it. Don't you understand that? \

>> I did just that until the OP whined about criticism. I don't really
>> consider comments that it doesn't sound like an appealing combination
>> to be criticism.

> But it is criticism as the word is understood in English. Some here
> seem to feel they have to say something on every thread, and it is
> often negative. Others are looking for an opportunity to say they know
> better or to say what they would have done.

I dunno, Judith. I just saw some folks stating that the recipe was not
to their taste. In fact for r.f.c. (which, may I remind you, is an
unmoderated Usenet group) I think the general tone was rather polite.

> I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish. I also did
> not post anything until the veritable waterfall of cranky criticism
> had fallen. Seems a shameful way to treat an earnest cook.

And yet, you've just stated that you won't be making that dish because
you are not fond of salmon... How is that so different from stating
that 'the combination is not appealing to my taste' or 'it does not
appeal to me either'?

Nobody forced you to post what you did above did they? So you're just as
guilty as the rest of the folks who 'feel they have to say something on
every thread' and/or those who posted that they didn't find the recipe
to their liking either.

A classic case of 'do as I say, not do as I do', IMHO.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> Salmon Wellington
>
> fish, seafood
>
> 8 salmon fillets, 6 oz. each
> 1 egg yolk glaze
> 1 pkg puff pastry
> ----MUSHROOM ONION FILLING----
> 3 tablespoon butter
> 1 salt & pepper
> 1 lb mushrooms, chopped
> 2 onions, chopped
> ----LIGHT WHITE WINE SAUCE----
> 6 tablespoon dry white wine
> 6 tablespoon white vinegar
> 2 tablespoon shallots, minced
> 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
> 1 teaspoon salt & white pepper
> 2 tablespoon parsley, minced

Looks like a slightly-simplified version of coulibiac:

coulibiac
[koo-lee-BYAHK]
This French adaptation of the Russian original (kulebiaka ) consists of a
creamy melange of fresh salmon, rice, hard-cooked eggs, mushrooms,
shallots and dill enclosed in a hot pastry envelope. The pastry is
usually made with BRIOCHE dough. Coulibiacs can be large or small but are
classically oval in shape. They can be served as a first or main course.

Gotten from http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

On the Food Network site you can find a couple recipes from Emeril where he
makes coulibiac; he uses puff pastry in one recipe and phyllo dough in the
other. (The site uses the spelling "koulibiaca".) In fact, if you go to the
Food Network site and use the words salmon and pastry as keywords in their
recipe search, you come up with a LOT of yummy-sounding recipes.

I've made coulibiac using brioche dough and roasted steelhead; it's an
impressive dish. It works at brunch as well as lunch or dinner.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>>> But it is criticism as the word is understood in English.

> I dunno, Judith. I just saw some folks stating that the recipe was not
> to their taste. In fact for r.f.c. (which, may I remind you, is an
> unmoderated Usenet group) I think the general tone was rather polite.

I agree, for here it was polite.

>> I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish.

> And yet, you've just stated that you won't be making that dish because
> you are not fond of salmon... How is that so different from stating
> that 'the combination is not appealing to my taste' or 'it does not
> appeal to me either'?

To me there is a vast difference between not making something because there
is an important ingredient you do not eat for some reason and criticising a
preparation method/recipe. One is a product the other is someone's work
that means something to him.

There are a lot of recipes that shouldn't work but famously do work.

> Nobody forced you to post what you did above did they?

No they bloody didn't. I posted because the man was feeling rejected and I
had to agree with him that there was a lot of gratuitous criticism going
on-- and then some donět even think it is criticism.

So you're just as
> guilty as the rest of the folks who 'feel they have to say something on
> every thread' and/or those who posted that they didn't find the recipe
> to their liking either.

When I post something to every thread and when you open this in the morning
and see my name 50 times in the list of posts, say that again. You have
never seen that and never will.

> A classic case of 'do as I say, not do as I do', IMHO.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

In your opinion, but not in mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio news>
> Billy wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:47 ->>
>>> If it doesn't appeal to you...my momma told me to shut my mouth and ya>>
>>> skip it. Don't you understand that? \

>> I did just that until the OP whined about criticism. I don't really
>> consider comments that it doesn't sound like an appealing combination to
>> be criticism.

> But it is criticism as the word is understood in English.

It is? "Critical" can mean a number of things in English :
1. inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.
2. occupied with or skilled in criticism.
3. involving skillful judgment as to truth, merit, etc.; judicial: a
critical analysis.
4. of or pertaining to critics or criticism: critical essays.

The OP appeared to use it as in the first case, though I would suggest
that the responses were more as the third case.

> Some here seem to
> feel they have to say something on every thread, and it is often negative.
> Others are looking for an opportunity to say they know better or to say what
> they would have done.
>
> I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish.

In other words, you are jumping on the bandwagon with the others who
indicated that it does not sound like something that would be to their
liking.

> I also did not
> post anything until the veritable waterfall of cranky criticism had fallen.
> Seems a shameful way to treat an earnest cook.

What cranky criticism?

'The combination isn't appealing to my taste, but that's just me. I'm
curious to know what you find to be the benefits of this cooking
method. Seems to me you could get the same result easier in a covered
frypan on the stove (without the foil)'

"While the recipe doesn't appeal to me either for the same reasons, I
prefer to bake my salmon if I'm making a wine sauce."

"I would have to agree with you. I can see stuffed salmon - shrimp
is in the stuffing - but no cheese. I've used the foil method he's
talking about for grilled salmon and, like him, have used wine, but
I've also used sweet onion slivers, dill, and fresh lemon slices with
that method. NO CHEESE!"

Then there was a sub thread that seems to have started from one
particular poster who is filtered at my end who is usually just plain
nasty.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I thought that the comments were
relatively polite, at least those that I saw, and I think that
suggesting that a particular combination is not appealing is a
legitimate criticism, and in a nice way.

And FWIW I happen to agree with those comments. Shrimp and Swiss cheese
are not the kinds of things I would thing of using with salmon, and
making foil pans to contain the liquids and make a sauce on a BBQ ? It
sounds like a recipe better suited to a pan on a stove than to a BBQ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>

>>> I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish.

>> And yet, you've just stated that you won't be making that dish
>> because you are not fond of salmon... How is that so different from
>> stating that 'the combination is not appealing to my taste' or 'it
>> does not appeal to me either'?

> To me there is a vast difference between not making something because
> there is an important ingredient you do not eat for some reason and
> criticising a
> preparation method/recipe.

<lol> Nice try.

> One is a product the other is someone's
> work that means something to him.
>
> There are a lot of recipes that shouldn't work but famously do work.
>>
>> Nobody forced you to post what you did above did they?

> No they bloody didn't. I posted because the man was feeling rejected
> and I had to agree with him that there was a lot of gratuitous
> criticism going on-- and then some donět even think it is criticism.

Very noble of you. BTW, I still don't think it was criticism.

> So you're just as
>> guilty as the rest of the folks who 'feel they have to say something
>> on every thread' and/or those who posted that they didn't find the
>> recipe to their liking either.

> When I post something to every thread and when you open this in the
> morning
> and see my name 50 times in the list of posts, say that again. You
> have never seen that and never will.

Don't think I have posted more than 50 posts a day here either, but I
can't swear to it - but so what if I did? I sincerely doubt anybody
(but you) gives a damn.

>> A classic case of 'do as I say, not do as I do', IMHO.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> In your opinion, but not in mine.

Clearly.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>>> I am not fond of salmon and I won't be making that dish.

>> And yet, you've just stated that you won't be making that dish because
>> you are not fond of salmon... How is that so different from stating
>> that 'the combination is not appealing to my taste' or 'it does not
>> appeal to me either'?

> To me there is a vast difference between not making something because there
> is an important ingredient you do not eat for some reason and criticising a
> preparation method/recipe. One is a product the other is someone's work
> that means something to him.

I must have missed something here. I recall people saying that the
combination of salmon, shrimp and Swiss cheese was not an appealing
combination and one that said that it sounded like a recipe more suited
to a pan on a stove than a BBQ. I think they are valid criticisms. Good
for him that he adapted something to a BBQ, but the combination is not
something that appeals to me either. It is not something I would have
thought of or one that I am likely to try. If the power goes out and I
have to cook on the BBQ I may attempt something of that method to cook
salmon and shrimp, but please excuse me if I skip the cheese.

> There are a lot of recipes that shouldn't work but famously do work.
>> Nobody forced you to post what you did above did they?

> No they bloody didn't. I posted because the man was feeling rejected and I
> had to agree with him that there was a lot of gratuitous criticism going
> on-- and then some donět even think it is criticism.

It is not gratuitous criticism. They were valid comments. Maybe it is
more about the OP's self esteem issues than gratuitous

criticism. I have certainly seem much more scathing criticism in this forum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:26:29 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>>> Gary, don't take it personally!

>> How the hell else is he supposed to take it? It's his recipe and his
>> folks like it.
>>

> I don't know what YOU saw, but comments I saw said things like, "I don't
> think I would like that combination." Not exactly savage.

you mean sheldon wasn't here having a stroke about cheese and fish and
gibbering about 'taste in ass disease'? i fear violence done to him at the
hands of his cats.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:39:46 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
>
>> "ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>

>> So you're just as
>>> guilty as the rest of the folks who 'feel they have to say something
>>> on every thread' and/or those who posted that they didn't find the
>>> recipe to their liking either.

>> When I post something to every thread and when you open this in the
>> morning
>> and see my name 50 times in the list of posts, say that again. You
>> have never seen that and never will.

> Don't think I have posted more than 50 posts a day here either, but I
> can't swear to it - but so what if I did? I sincerely doubt anybody
> (but you) gives a damn.
>>
>>> A classic case of 'do as I say, not do as I do', IMHO.
>>> --

>> In your opinion, but not in mine.

> Clearly.

no, but a lot of people seem to feel the need to respond to every post *by
someone they dislike.* (i've been guilty of this myself.) it's an easy
trap to fall into.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:32:38 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:

> This is the simplest soup I've ever made or heard of, and delicious.
>
> Water, salmon, fiddlehead fern.
>
> That's it, no salt, dill, garlic - nuthin'
>
> Because I don't konw where to get fiddleheads, I used spinach, but
> still great simple soup.
>
> Bulka
> (ashamed to admit I got the recipie from the Frug)

i must admit i'm puzzled by the last line. oh, i think i know why (his
personal life), but i would rather judge the art than the artist. putting
him down the memory hole seems a little stalinist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:39:46 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Giusi wrote:
>>
>>> "ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>

>>> So you're just as
>>>
>>> When I post something to every thread and when you open this in the
>>> morning
>>> and see my name 50 times in the list of posts, say that again. You
>>> have never seen that and never will.

>> Don't think I have posted more than 50 posts a day here either, but I
>> can't swear to it - but so what if I did? I sincerely doubt anybody
>> (but you) gives a damn.

>>> In your opinion, but not in mine.

>> Clearly.

> no, but a lot of people seem to feel the need to respond to every post
> *by
> someone they dislike.* (i've been guilty of this myself.) it's an
> easy trap to fall into.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Ahem. Considering that you don't hang on my every word/post, would it be
safe to hope that you don't dislike me?

No, seriously... I usually (not always) respond to posts from people I
dislike in 'self defense'. If somebody publicly claims to have
kill-filed me, it annoys the living daylights outta me when they 'hump'
other people's posts to take a dig at me. Hey, I'm right here - 'Go
ahead, make my day'.

OTOH, I reserve the right to respond to any post that shows up here,
(either positively or negatively) because last time I checked, r.f.c.
is an unmoderated Usenet group.

BTW, if I were to respond to every poster I dislike it wouldn't take
much more than 5 or 10 minutes of my day. Most of the folks who post to
r.f.c. are OK, IMHO. However, I miss a lot of posts - I have to sleep
sometime - and the 'mark all as read' option in my newsreader is a
handy thing to have.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote
> you mean sheldon wasn't here having a stroke about cheese and fish and
> gibbering about 'taste in ass disease'? i fear violence done to him at
> the
> hands of his cats.

You have the same idea that I do. Being cats, the only reason they can be
letting him live is to plot a more agonizing end for him. Forget his
personality. Cats have very sensitive noses. I mean, the smell alone would
turn them.

swiss air wine and food menue need ideas [email protected] General Cooking 0 16-04-2009 08:19 PM
Salmon with White Wine, Bay Shrimp and Swiss Garry Liddell Recipes (moderated) 0 19-09-2008 03:25 AM
Baked Salmon with Tiger Prawns, Dill and White Wine AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 15-08-2007 12:13 AM
White Salmon D. Lutjen Sushi 15 23-04-2005 08:22 AM
Best red wine of Swiss Il Bacco Wine 0 08-10-2003 08:55 PM