Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (no subject)

Well, once I got the yeast "packet" measurement right, and thanks to
Melba and the others who responded to me about that, I made the dough
yesterday. Just a few observations:

I make a half-recipe of any of the artisan breads using this
half-recipe:

1-1/2 cups Lukewarm Water 100 degrees
3/4 TBSP Yeast
3/4 TBSP Kosher Salt
3-1/4 Cups Flour

Almost everything I could find about "no-knead rye bread" referred to
"packets" of yeast, hence my question yesterday. In the end, I
approximated 3/4 tbsp like the original recipe says, but it's good to
know that a packet is 2-1/4 tbsp.

I replaced 1-1/4 cups of the white flour with some rye flour.

The resulting dough was very, very heavy and dense, but it did not try
to stick to anything, which made it relatively easy to handle.

I let it rise for three hours at room temp, then into the fridge
overnight.

This morning I cut enough off (about 1/3 of the mass) to fill a 3 x 5.5
inch loaf pan, which makes a little loaf, no more than I will use in a
couple of days.

The actual loaf is a nice enough little loaf when fresh and hot, with a
bulletproof crust. Delicious with a spot of butter or jam on it, along
with my oat meal.

Any "rye" flavor, however, was rather elusive. Maybe it's me, but these
artisan recipes do not seem particularly flavorful, and the rye, while
nobody would mistake it for white, is no exception.

Another observation is that the artisan loaves do not seem to offer much
in the way of shelf life. The white loaves I make are almost inedible
on the third day, so I've learned to plan on using them up. We'll see
about the rye . . .

Best regards . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Artisan Bread (was (no subject))

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:

> Any "rye" flavor, however, was rather elusive. Maybe it's me, but these
> artisan recipes do not seem particularly flavorful, and the rye, while
> nobody would mistake it for white, is no exception.
>
> Another observation is that the artisan loaves do not seem to offer much
> in the way of shelf life. The white loaves I make are almost inedible
> on the third day, so I've learned to plan on using them up. We'll see
> about the rye . . .

I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.

The short shelf-life is in part due to the absence of any fat.
I find that bakery baguettes and French or Italian breads don't keep
well, either.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry I screwed up this post earlier with no subject.

> I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.
> The short shelf-life is in part due to the absence of any fat.

I did know that about fat content.

I make a very small loaf in a little loaf pan, not the boule. I make
half the recipe, so there is still enough left in the fridge for two
more little loaves.

This rye loaf, now about eight hours old, has mild flavor. I've been
eating it with my meals all day and whatever's left should be all right
for tomorrow. Anything left after that will go to the pigeons that hang
out at the Picasso in downtown Chicago on Tuesday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:05:23 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:
>

>> Any "rye" flavor, however, was rather elusive. Maybe it's me, but these
>> artisan recipes do not seem particularly flavorful, and the rye, while
>> nobody would mistake it for white, is no exception.
>>
>> Another observation is that the artisan loaves do not seem to offer much
>> in the way of shelf life. The white loaves I make are almost inedible
>> on the third day, so I've learned to plan on using them up. We'll see
>> about the rye . . .
>>

>I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.
>
>The short shelf-life is in part due to the absence of any fat.
>I find that bakery baguettes and French or Italian breads don't keep
>well, either.
>
>gloria p

Sourdough breads, lean as can be, have a very long freshness window.

The flavor of lean dough breads can be deepened by the use of
pre-ferment, poolish, biga,etc. Additionally, allowing the final dough
to retard in the fridge will also help deepen flavor.

This is all above and beyond the use of different flours and grains
used to vary flavor and texture.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.

So did I....but after reviewing Cook's Illustrated technique...this
has the "flavor" that is missing.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

No Knead Bread 2.0

breads

15 oz flour
1 1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts instant yeast
3 oz beer
1 tb vinegar
7 oz water

Combine all ingredients in large bowl mixing to blend with spatula.

Let dough rise for 8 to 15 hours, covered.

After rising, knead 10 to 15 times and form into a ball, seam side
down.
Place on Pam sprayed parchment paper and place in 10 inch skillet.
Spray
top with Pam and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two
hours.

Thirty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 500 F. and add Dutch
oven to
preheat also.

Sprinkle top of loaf with flour and make six inch slash in top of
dough.

Remove Dutch oven from oven and remove lid. Place bread in Dutch oven
using
the parchment paper as a sling. Replace lid and return to oven. Lower
temperature to 425F and bake for 30 minutes.

Remove lid and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or until internal
temperature is 210 F.

Notes: Cook's Illustrated

Yield: 1 loaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.
>
>The short shelf-life is in part due to the absence of any fat.
>I find that bakery baguettes and French or Italian breads don't keep
>well, either.

Due to lack of fat, they're fresh only a few hours.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:26:50 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:05:23 -0600, Gloria P >
>wrote:
>
>>I also found the no-knead recipes very lacking in flavor.
>>
>>The short shelf-life is in part due to the absence of any fat.
>>I find that bakery baguettes and French or Italian breads don't keep
>>well, either.

>Due to lack of fat, they're fresh only a few hours.

Not if they are based on sourdough.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No-knead bread lacking in flavor?

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite observed:

> Maybe it's me, but these artisan recipes do not seem particularly
> flavorful, and the rye, while nobody would mistake it for white, is no
> exception.

It might be the specific recipes you're following. I bought Suzanne
Dunaway's _No Need to Knead_ for the sole reason that her hazelnut-sage
filoncino is one of the most flavorful breads I've ever tasted. Every other
recipe I've tried from that book has been a home run.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Cuthbert Thistlethwaite observed:
>
>> Maybe it's me, but these artisan recipes do not seem particularly
>> flavorful, and the rye, while nobody would mistake it for white, is no
>> exception.

> It might be the specific recipes you're following. I bought Suzanne
> Dunaway's _No Need to Knead_ for the sole reason that her hazelnut-sage
> filoncino is one of the most flavorful breads I've ever tasted. Every
> other recipe I've tried from that book has been a home run.

Looks to me like you need to ease up a bit on the refined carbs, old Hoss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyber**** wrote:

> Looks to me like you need to ease up a bit on the refined carbs, old Hoss.

Looks to me like you've leaped to a stupid and uninformed conclusion about
my weight, old shitstain.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Cuthbert Thistlethwaite observed:
>
> > Maybe it's me, but these artisan recipes do not seem particularly
> > flavorful, and the rye, while nobody would mistake it for white, is no
> > exception.

> It might be the specific recipes you're following. I bought Suzanne
> Dunaway's _No Need to Knead_ for the sole reason that her hazelnut-sage
> filoncino is one of the most flavorful breads I've ever tasted. Every other
> recipe I've tried from that book has been a home run.
>
> Bob

Thanks, I'll check it out.

No Subject No Name General Cooking 0 06-12-2009 10:44 PM
(no subject) Old Harley Rider General Cooking 0 13-11-2009 07:48 PM
No Subject Norm General Cooking 0 15-06-2006 04:40 PM
No Subject General Cooking 0 29-01-2006 01:00 AM
(no subject) Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 18-11-2003 06:54 AM