Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Has anyone made no-knead rye bread?

Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread?

Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? I
have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." My
cook book conversion tables are silent on this.

Best regards . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cuthbert Thistlethwaite" > wrote in message

> Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread?
>
> Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? I
> have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." My
> cook book conversion tables are silent on this.

The internet conversion tables are not silent, however:
http://breaddaily.tripod.com/yeast.htm
One packet yeast = 2.25 tsp.
I used this info after getting a jar of yeast on the discount rack at the
supermarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread?
>
> Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? I
> have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." My
> cook book conversion tables are silent on this.
>
> Best regards . . .

No.
2-1/4 teaspoons.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread?
>
> Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? I
> have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." My
> cook book conversion tables are silent on this.
>
> Best regards . . .

I would be surprised if the jar of yeast does not give an equivalent
measure for a packet.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 6:39*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread? *

> > Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? *I
> > have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." *My
> > cook book conversion tables are silent on this.

> > Best regards . . .

> I would be surprised if the jar of yeast does not give an equivalent
> measure for a packet.

Fleischmann's jar says: 2-1/4 tsp = 1 packet = 1 cake of fresh yeast
(0.6 oz)

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Sep 6, 6:39 pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried to use the artisan bread recipe for rye bread?
>>> Another question, what does a "packet" of yeast equal in measurement? I
>>> have a jar of yeast and keep seeing recipes requiring a "packet." My
>>> cook book conversion tables are silent on this.
>>> Best regards . . .

>> I would be surprised if the jar of yeast does not give an equivalent
>> measure for a packet.

> Fleischmann's jar says: 2-1/4 tsp = 1 packet = 1 cake of fresh yeast
> (0.6 oz)
>
> maxine in ri

This brings back a recollection of when I actually opened a packet
and measured, and the results were not what were given on the jar.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> maxine in ri wrote:
> > On Sep 6, 6:39 pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> I would be surprised if the jar of yeast does not give an equivalent
> >> measure for a packet.

> > Fleischmann's jar says: 2-1/4 tsp = 1 packet = 1 cake of fresh yeast
> > (0.6 oz)
> >
> > maxine in ri

> This brings back a recollection of when I actually opened a packet
> and measured, and the results were not what were given on the jar.

What did you get from the packet? What did the jar say?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What did you get from the packet? What did the jar say?

It's a jar of Fleischmann's. Just like you predicted, the information
is on the jar, BUT it is so TINY I mistook it for the copyright and mfr
address info. With a magnifying glass, I see, and I quote:

"2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast (1/4 OZ) = 1 Env. Active Dry Yeast (1/4 OZ)
= 1 Cake Fresh Yeast (0.6 OZ)"

Sorry to bug everyone with something so obvious, although I am a bit
far-sighted.

Thanks, and see my comments on the artisan rye loaf, below.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> maxine in ri wrote:

>>> Fleischmann's jar says: 2-1/4 tsp = 1 packet = 1 cake of fresh yeast
>>> (0.6 oz)
>>>
>>> maxine in ri

>> This brings back a recollection of when I actually opened a packet
>> and measured, and the results were not what were given on the jar.

> What did you get from the packet? What did the jar say?

I don't remember. This was several years ago. I just recall that
I ripped open a package and measured and then was told that was
incorrect!

--
Jean B.