Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default National Geographic Food Web Site

While on the Chicago Tribune web site
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...al-geogra.html
I found this item that may be of interest:

"Originally posted: September 4, 2008
National Geographic opens an online marketplace

"Posted by Renee Enna at 10:55 a.m. CDT

"National Geographic's ambitious new Foods of the World
http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/
online marketplace truly reveals a wondrously appetizing universe. It
showcases, and sells, an array of artisan and specialty products from
small purveyors in more than 30 countries: Click on Switzerland to
find a "Fondue Cheese Flight" for $30, or an "Asian Spices" collection
for $30 when you choose Asia. The "Taste of…" assortments are offered
for almost all of the featured destinations, and seem like especially
good values. Taste of Latin America, for instance, includes cheeses,
sweets and a cooking sauce for $31.

"But this is much more than a retail space because it offers so much
background on the various food cultures through articles from the
magazine's extensive archives and, no surprise, from the many gorgeous
photographs.

"And yes, there are dozens upon dozens of recipes, with dishes
familiar and exotic (admittedly, some could use headnotes explaining
why they're important and where they're from). Future plans involve
letting visitors post photos and videos of their own travels as well
as share recipes with each other. "

I did not have the time to roam around the site very long. A first
look would seem to inticate the non-recipe sections to be of the most
interest. The shared recipe section, which so far seems not to have
many items. It states these requirement about submissions:

"Share! We know you have some great menu ideas and invite you to
share them! Simply email us your recipe. Once we've reviewed and
approved it, we'll post it in our Guest Recipe Exchange. Click here to
send us your recipe.

"By submitting your recipe, you affirm that the content is free from
all copyrights and you release any rights to the material.

"Please allow 10-14 days for your recipe to be posted to the website."

Dick Kennedy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Kennedy > wrote in
:

> While on the Chicago Tribune web site
> http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...08/09/national
> -geogra.html I found this item that may be of interest:
>
> "Originally posted: September 4, 2008
> National Geographic opens an online marketplace
>
> "Posted by Renee Enna at 10:55 a.m. CDT
>
> "National Geographic's ambitious new Foods of the World
> http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/
> online marketplace truly reveals a wondrously appetizing
> universe.

> It showcases, and sells, an array of artisan and
> specialty products from small purveyors in more than 30
> countries: Click on Switzerland to find a "Fondue Cheese
> Flight" for $30, or an "Asian Spices" collection for $30 when
> you choose Asia. The "Taste of…" assortments are offered for
> almost all of the featured destinations, and seem like
> especially good values. Taste of Latin America, for instance,
> includes cheeses, sweets and a cooking sauce for $31.
>
> "But this is much more than a retail space because it offers
> so much background on the various food cultures through
> articles from the magazine's extensive archives and, no
> surprise, from the many gorgeous photographs.
>
> "And yes, there are dozens upon dozens of recipes, with dishes
> familiar and exotic (admittedly, some could use headnotes
> explaining why they're important and where they're from).
> Future plans involve letting visitors post photos and videos
> of their own travels as well as share recipes with each other.
> "
>
> I did not have the time to roam around the site very long. A
> first look would seem to inticate the non-recipe sections to
> be of the most interest. The shared recipe section, which so
> far seems not to have many items. It states these requirement
> about submissions:
>
> "Share! We know you have some great menu ideas and invite you
> to share them! Simply email us your recipe. Once we've
> reviewed and approved it, we'll post it in our Guest Recipe
> Exchange. Click here to send us your recipe.
>
> "By submitting your recipe, you affirm that the content is
> free from all copyrights and you release any rights to the
> material.
>
> "Please allow 10-14 days for your recipe to be posted to the
> website."
>
> Dick Kennedy

Interesting
http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/Recipes

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Kennedy said...

> While on the Chicago Tribune web site
> http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...8/09/national-

geogra.html
> I found this item that may be of interest:
>
> "Originally posted: September 4, 2008
> National Geographic opens an online marketplace
>
> "Posted by Renee Enna at 10:55 a.m. CDT
>
> "National Geographic's ambitious new Foods of the World
> http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/

Richard,

While not up to the caliber of Nat Geo, the magazine, they're off to a good
start!

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Richard Kennedy > wrote in
> :
>
>> While on the Chicago Tribune web site
>> http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...08/09/national
>> -geogra.html I found this item that may be of interest:
>>
>> "Originally posted: September 4, 2008
>> National Geographic opens an online marketplace
>>
>> "Posted by Renee Enna at 10:55 a.m. CDT
>>
>> "National Geographic's ambitious new Foods of the World
>> http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/
>> online marketplace truly reveals a wondrously appetizing
>> universe.

>> It showcases, and sells, an array of artisan and
>> specialty products from small purveyors in more than 30
>> countries: Click on Switzerland to find a "Fondue Cheese
>> Flight" for $30, or an "Asian Spices" collection for $30 when
>> you choose Asia. The "Taste of…" assortments are offered for
>> almost all of the featured destinations, and seem like
>> especially good values. Taste of Latin America, for instance,
>> includes cheeses, sweets and a cooking sauce for $31.
>>
>> "But this is much more than a retail space because it offers
>> so much background on the various food cultures through
>> articles from the magazine's extensive archives and, no
>> surprise, from the many gorgeous photographs.
>>
>> "And yes, there are dozens upon dozens of recipes, with dishes
>> familiar and exotic (admittedly, some could use headnotes
>> explaining why they're important and where they're from).
>> Future plans involve letting visitors post photos and videos
>> of their own travels as well as share recipes with each other.
>> "
>>
>> I did not have the time to roam around the site very long. A
>> first look would seem to inticate the non-recipe sections to
>> be of the most interest. The shared recipe section, which so
>> far seems not to have many items. It states these requirement
>> about submissions:
>>
>> "Share! We know you have some great menu ideas and invite you
>> to share them! Simply email us your recipe. Once we've
>> reviewed and approved it, we'll post it in our Guest Recipe
>> Exchange. Click here to send us your recipe.
>>
>> "By submitting your recipe, you affirm that the content is
>> free from all copyrights and you release any rights to the
>> material.
>>
>> "Please allow 10-14 days for your recipe to be posted to the
>> website."
>>
>> Dick Kennedy
>>

> Interesting
> http://www.nationalgeographicfood.com/Recipes
>
> Thanks!

Interesting but not as many non-European and -American recipes as
I would like.

--
Jean B.