Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flavored Vodka

I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Frank103 wrote:

> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.

I dunno, but you just got me wishing I had some Vanilla Bacardi on hand.
Best darned rum'n'cokes ever.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 2, 11:37*am, "Frank103" > wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

When we moved into this house with a large well-established orange
tree I was still drinking vodka, so I thought I'd try infusing vodka
with orange flavor. I tried it two ways: large quantities of zest,
infused for about 5 days; and peeled fruit sections, pith removed, for
about 8 days. Results strained into another bottle in both cases.
Both worked, in the sense of imparting flavor. The zest produced a
sharper tinge than the fruit. But I didn't like either one and
switched back to screwdrivers......Nowadays I like mimosas. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 11:37*am, "Frank103" > wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

I would just use the zest of all 3 lemons- wait a week or 2 to test.
If it's not strong enough, let it go a week or so more...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
> rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
> Thanks in advance.
> Frank

Here you go;

Lemon Flavored Vodka Recipe #13346
From the Jewish Food Archives.
by Mirj
5 min | 5 min prep

1 small lemon
1 quart vodka

Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid the
bitter white pith.
Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
peel when you think its job has been done.
The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus sweetness
and pungency.
TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.

© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Frank103 > wrote:

> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.

Use just the zest. If you use the juice, you'd be making a kind of
cocktail. Zest of 3 lemons for 1.5 l of vodka is a reasonable ratio.
Zest the lemons carefully, so that only the yellow part is present;
white pith would add bitterness. Add the zest to the vodka and let
steep in a warm place for a few days. Filter out the zest.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 23:45:45 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>white pith would add bitterness.

It's vodka....after a couple...who would care??....<VBG!>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 1:37*pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
>> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
>> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
>> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
>> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
>> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
>> advance.
>> Frank

> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> Lynn in Fargo

I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
>>> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
>>> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
>>> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
>>> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
>>> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
>>> advance.
>>> Frank

>> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
>> Lynn in Fargo
>>

> I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
> for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
> limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
> Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

Ugh.

Another answer might be that OP is using inexpensive vodka, and that
probably indicates a preference to continue doing that.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?

Nothing! It's reasonable at its price point. Ketel One Citron
is IMO better.

Regarding citrus vodka in general, a local bartender turned me on to
very nice one -- Finlandia Grapefruit. Seemed an unlikely thing
to try but they did a really good job.

Then there are the Hanger One vodkas, flavored before distillation.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri was thinking very hard :
> "Frank103" > wrote in message
>> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
>> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
>> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
>> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
>> rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Frank

> Here you go;
>
> Lemon Flavored Vodka Recipe #13346
> From the Jewish Food Archives.
> by Mirj
> 5 min | 5 min prep
>
> 1 small lemon
> 1 quart vodka
>
> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid the
> bitter white pith.
> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
> peel when you think its job has been done.
> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus sweetness
> and pungency.
> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.
>
> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
>
> Dimitri

That's also the recipe for lemon extract, except you use about 2 oz
vodka, I'd assume.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>
>> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?

> Nothing! It's reasonable at its price point. Ketel One Citron
> is IMO better.
>
> Regarding citrus vodka in general, a local bartender turned me on to
> very nice one -- Finlandia Grapefruit. Seemed an unlikely thing
> to try but they did a really good job.

Ohmygosh- some of the BEST vodka filled chocolates I've ever purchased
were Finlandia dark chocolates. Incredibly good!!
Every Christmas the commissary sells liquor filled chocolates and you
have to buy what you see when you see it, because you never know if
they'll have it again next week. I always buy a mess of 'em and give
them to all the support staff for a Christmas presents. They are always
good, but the Finlandia were by far my favorite!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo wrote:

>> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
>> Lynn in Fargo
>>

> I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
> for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
> limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
> Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

In my experience, pre-mixed bottled cocktails are ALWAYS horrible,
along with that nasty bottled "bar mix" for lemon or lime drinks.
Ugh.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote:

>In my experience, pre-mixed bottled cocktails are ALWAYS horrible,
>along with that nasty bottled "bar mix" for lemon or lime drinks.
>Ugh.

Right. And I'm not too fond of the stuff that comes out of a
bar hose either.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
> rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
> Thanks in advance.
> Frank

Crushed red pepper is good.
I forget the amount. I think I used a half teaspoon to a pint .
I really liked the stolly pepper vodka. the absolut not so much

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:49:51 -0700 (PDT):

> On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
>> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a
>> little experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a
>> slight lemon flavor. I have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka
>> and 3 lemons. I know I will use the zest. Do I use the juice?
>> How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest? Can anyone
>> recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
>> Thanks in advance. Frank

> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> Lynn in Fargo

I've liked Pepper Vodka since I first had it served from a bottle
encased in a block of ice. I don't mean things like Absolut Peppar which
is flavored with green sweet peppers, AFAICT but the real Russian stuff
using hot peppers.

You can make it yourself by steeping dried hot peppers in vodka. Filter
off the peppers after a few hours and keep the bottle in the freezer,
zdorov'ya!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Frank103 wrote:
>
> > I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> > experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> > have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> > zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
> > rest?
> > Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks
> > in
> > advance.

> I dunno, but you just got me wishing I had some Vanilla Bacardi on hand.
> Best darned rum'n'cokes ever.

I'd say let it sit until it tastes right to you. :-)

Start at about 6 weeks.

Slicesd strawberries in vodka are the gods and are good after a couple
of weeks.

I've made fruit brandy for Christmas gifts and start out with fresh
frozen or fresh fruit in vodka and start about 6 weeks out.

Before gifting, I strain off the old fruit (and freeze it for dessert
dishes) and add fresher fruit for looks, along with about 1/3rd brandy
to the extracted vodka.

Place all in an attractive lightning jar and decorate as desired.

Appropriate fresh herbs such as mint or lemon balm added also looks nice
and flavors well.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Frank103" > wrote in message
> > I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> > experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> > have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> > zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
> > rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Frank

> Here you go;
>
> Lemon Flavored Vodka Recipe #13346
> From the Jewish Food Archives.
> by Mirj
> 5 min | 5 min prep
>
> 1 small lemon
> 1 quart vodka
>
> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid the
> bitter white pith.
> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
> peel when you think its job has been done.
> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus sweetness
> and pungency.
> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.
>
> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
>
> Dimitri

I always store vodka in the freezer. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Sep 2, 1:37*pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
> > I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> > experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> > have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> > zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> > Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> > advance.
> > Frank

> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> Lynn in Fargo

It's cheaper to make your own.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> >>
> >> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> >> Lynn in Fargo
> >>

> > I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
> > for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
> > limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
> > Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

> Ugh.
>
> Another answer might be that OP is using inexpensive vodka, and that
> probably indicates a preference to continue doing that.

Everclear (or Clear Springs) works too, but you'd better dilute it. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> >
> >> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?

> > Nothing! It's reasonable at its price point. Ketel One Citron
> > is IMO better.
> >
> > Regarding citrus vodka in general, a local bartender turned me on to
> > very nice one -- Finlandia Grapefruit. Seemed an unlikely thing
> > to try but they did a really good job.

> Ohmygosh- some of the BEST vodka filled chocolates I've ever purchased
> were Finlandia dark chocolates. Incredibly good!!
> Every Christmas the commissary sells liquor filled chocolates and you
> have to buy what you see when you see it, because you never know if
> they'll have it again next week. I always buy a mess of 'em and give
> them to all the support staff for a Christmas presents. They are always
> good, but the Finlandia were by far my favorite!

They just can't eat them at work... <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mike" > wrote:

> "Frank103" > wrote in message
> > I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> > experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> > have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> > zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
> > rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Frank

> Crushed red pepper is good.
> I forget the amount. I think I used a half teaspoon to a pint .
> I really liked the stolly pepper vodka. the absolut not so much

I'll have to try that. I generally only use Olive Oil for pepper/herbed
stuff.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <Frwvk.325$Af3.257@trnddc06>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Lynn wrote on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:49:51 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
> >> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a
> >> little experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a
> >> slight lemon flavor. I have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka
> >> and 3 lemons. I know I will use the zest. Do I use the juice?
> >> How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest? Can anyone
> >> recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
> >> Thanks in advance. Frank

> > What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> > Lynn in Fargo

> I've liked Pepper Vodka since I first had it served from a bottle
> encased in a block of ice. I don't mean things like Absolut Peppar which
> is flavored with green sweet peppers, AFAICT but the real Russian stuff
> using hot peppers.
>
> You can make it yourself by steeping dried hot peppers in vodka. Filter
> off the peppers after a few hours and keep the bottle in the freezer,
> zdorov'ya!

Huh. I'm getting a crop of wild Petin's out back. I may have to try
that just for grins. I've always extracted them in olive oil for
cooking and salads.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:46:17 -0500:

>> Lynn wrote on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:49:51 -0700 (PDT):

> >> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
> >> Lynn in Fargo

>> I've liked Pepper Vodka since I first had it served from a
>> bottle encased in a block of ice. I don't mean things like
>> Absolut Peppar which is flavored with green sweet peppers,
>> AFAICT but the real Russian stuff using hot peppers.
>>
>> You can make it yourself by steeping dried hot peppers in
>> vodka. Filter off the peppers after a few hours and keep the
>> bottle in the freezer, zdorov'ya!

> Huh. I'm getting a crop of wild Petin's out back. I may have
> to try that just for grins. I've always extracted them in
> olive oil for cooking and salads.

I've never used fresh hot peppers but quite a variety of dried ones. I
make Pepper Vodka by inspection. Taste the product every hour or so! It
doesn't matter if it is a little hotter than you like. Once it is cooled
in the freezer, it becomes a little less powerful and it is customary
not to sip it but toss down a small glass in one gulp.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <dxxvk.413$1a2.403@trnddc04>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:46:17 -0500:

> >> I've liked Pepper Vodka since I first had it served from a
> >> bottle encased in a block of ice. I don't mean things like
> >> Absolut Peppar which is flavored with green sweet peppers,
> >> AFAICT but the real Russian stuff using hot peppers.
> >>
> >> You can make it yourself by steeping dried hot peppers in
> >> vodka. Filter off the peppers after a few hours and keep the
> >> bottle in the freezer, zdorov'ya!

> > Huh. I'm getting a crop of wild Petin's out back. I may have
> > to try that just for grins. I've always extracted them in
> > olive oil for cooking and salads.

> I've never used fresh hot peppers but quite a variety of dried ones. I
> make Pepper Vodka by inspection. Taste the product every hour or so! It
> doesn't matter if it is a little hotter than you like. Once it is cooled
> in the freezer, it becomes a little less powerful and it is customary
> not to sip it but toss down a small glass in one gulp.

<lol> Jello shots?

I can try that I guess! I don't plant the petins, the wild birds do. I
have one plant that is about 8 years old and two new ones that appeared
2 years ago. Most of the fruit goes to Freya the cockatoo. She loves
them. ;-)

Goffin's. Small bird, but lively! She was a stray that I managed to
capture from my back yard in 1998. I still have the scars but it was
worth it.

Good source of vitamin C for her. Like humans, it needs to be
supplemented.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:

>> Another answer might be that OP is using inexpensive vodka, and that
>> probably indicates a preference to continue doing that.

> Everclear (or Clear Springs) works too, but you'd better dilute it.
> <g>

Hey Om! Great to see you here again

I don't drink vodka any more (expensive or otherwise) - but a friend of
the family used to make 'chili vodka'. Yowser - it used to burn like
hell on the way in (and on the way out too). ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

There is no such thing as a little garlic. ~A. Baer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article .net>,
> > Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> >> Another answer might be that OP is using inexpensive vodka, and that
> >> probably indicates a preference to continue doing that.

> > Everclear (or Clear Springs) works too, but you'd better dilute it.
> > <g>

> Hey Om! Great to see you here again
>
> I don't drink vodka any more (expensive or otherwise) - but a friend of
> the family used to make 'chili vodka'. Yowser - it used to burn like
> hell on the way in (and on the way out too). ;-)

<lol> Thanks CC!

I've yet to try it, but "Tapatillo" challenges my digestive system, so I
know I have to be careful! <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 7:12*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
> >> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> >> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor.. I
> >> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> >> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> >> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> >> advance.
> >> Frank

> > What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron *?
> > Lynn in Fargo

> I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
> for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
> limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. *He bought a bottle of
> Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

I almost never drink alcohol (diabetes, too many meds etc) but a
couple of years ago I had my first Mojito. It was love at first sip.
Every few months i have one, but it never tastes quite as wonderful as
that first one did,
A couple of months ago I discovered that the restaurant I had it in
in Miami makes the best Mohitios outside Cuba.
Real sugar cane for a swizzle stick!

Lynn in Fargo
Swizzle sticks from sugar BEETS? Nah . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 10:34*am, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 7:12*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> > > What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron *?
> > > Lynn in Fargo

> > I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
> > for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
> > limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. *He bought a bottle of
> > Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

> I almost never drink alcohol (diabetes, too many meds etc) but a
> couple of years ago I had my first Mojito. It was love at first sip.
> Every few months i have one, but it never tastes quite as wonderful as
> that first one did,
> A couple of months ago I discovered that the restaurant I had it *in
> in Miami makes the best Mohitios outside Cuba.
> Real sugar cane for a swizzle stick!
>
> Lynn in Fargo
> Swizzle sticks from sugar BEETS? *Nah . . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PS: If I take Lipitor does that mean I shouldn't drink Finlandia
grapefruit vodka?
;-)
Lynn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:

<Snip>

>> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid
>> the
>> bitter white pith.
>> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
>> peel when you think its job has been done.
>> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus
>> sweetness
>> and pungency.
>> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
>> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.
>>
>> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
>>
>> Dimitri

> I always store vodka in the freezer. ;-d
> --
> Peace! Om

Want a great presentation/

Place the Vodka bottle into an empty milk carton.
Add water and freeze.

When frozen remove (cut off) the milk carton.

You'll have a bottle of Vodka encased in a square block of ice.

Pour shots.

;-)

Hic

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Dimitri" > wrote:

> <Snip>
>

> >> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid
> >> the
> >> bitter white pith.
> >> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
> >> peel when you think its job has been done.
> >> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus
> >> sweetness
> >> and pungency.
> >> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
> >> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.
> >>
> >> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
> >>
> >> Dimitri

> > I always store vodka in the freezer. ;-d
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Want a great presentation/
>
> Place the Vodka bottle into an empty milk carton.
> Add water and freeze.
>
> When frozen remove (cut off) the milk carton.
>
> You'll have a bottle of Vodka encased in a square block of ice.
>
> Pour shots.
>
> ;-)
>
> Hic
>
> Dimitri

Sounds "cool". <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:02:48 -0500:

>> Once it is cooled in the freezer, it
>> becomes a little less powerful and it is customary not to sip
>> it but toss down a small glass in one gulp.

> <lol> Jello shots?

It *is* about that, less than a normal shot glassful! The good stuff
should not burn (a lot) on the way down and you should be able to still
say "zdorov'ya" :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 9:19*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>
> news >
> > In article >,
> > "Dimitri" > wrote:

> <Snip>
>

> >> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid
> >> the
> >> bitter white pith.
> >> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
> >> peel when you think its job has been done.
> >> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus
> >> sweetness
> >> and pungency.
> >> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
> >> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.

> >> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved.http://www.recipezaar.com

> >> Dimitri

> > I always store vodka in the freezer. ;-d
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Want a great presentation/
>
> Place the Vodka bottle into an empty milk carton.
> Add water and freeze.
>
> When frozen remove (cut off) the milk carton.
>
> You'll have a bottle of Vodka encased in a square block of ice.
>
> Pour shots.
>
> ;-)
>
> Hic
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

I saw that in a Martha book- she put roses and sprigs of greens in the
ice- very cool!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <74Avk.443$jE1.19@trnddc03>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:02:48 -0500:
>
> >> Once it is cooled in the freezer, it
> >> becomes a little less powerful and it is customary not to sip
> >> it but toss down a small glass in one gulp.

> > <lol> Jello shots?

> It *is* about that, less than a normal shot glassful! The good stuff
> should not burn (a lot) on the way down and you should be able to still
> say "zdorov'ya" :-)

Good vodka burns?

;-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:

>>> What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
>>> Lynn in Fargo
>>>

>> I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my
>> brothers for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime
>> juice, fresh limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a
>> bottle of Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

> In my experience, pre-mixed bottled cocktails are ALWAYS horrible,
> along with that nasty bottled "bar mix" for lemon or lime drinks.
> Ugh.

That's because they are mostly high-fructose corn syrup. None of those
mixes are permitted in *my* bar.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Want a great presentation/
>
> Place the Vodka bottle into an empty milk carton.
> Add water and freeze.
>
> When frozen remove (cut off) the milk carton.
>
> You'll have a bottle of Vodka encased in a square block of ice.
>
> Pour shots.
>
> ;-)
>
> Hic
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

I saw that in a Martha book- she put roses and sprigs of greens in the
ice- very cool!

Not too very original This was stolen from a Russian Restaurant I ate at,
just south of Houston Texas back in 1979 or 80. IIRC I got very, well lets
put it this way - My attitude became quite adjusted. Very adjusted.

;-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:19 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>
> news >
> > In article >,
> > "Dimitri" > wrote:

> <Snip>
>

> >> Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid
> >> the
> >> bitter white pith.
> >> Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing

the
> >> peel when you think its job has been done.
> >> The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus
> >> sweetness
> >> and pungency.
> >> TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
> >> If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.

> >> © 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved.http://www.recipezaar.com

> >> Dimitri

> > I always store vodka in the freezer. ;-d
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Want a great presentation/
>
> Place the Vodka bottle into an empty milk carton.
> Add water and freeze.
>
> When frozen remove (cut off) the milk carton.
>
> You'll have a bottle of Vodka encased in a square block of ice.
>
> Pour shots.
>
> ;-)
>
> Hic
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

I saw that in a Martha book- she put roses and sprigs of greens in the
ice- very cool
-------------------

GM replies:

Isn't the water supposed to be distilled or something so the ice won't be
too cloudy...???

--
Best
Greg

A new vodka I just tried Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 31 31-10-2011 02:32 AM
i meant about the vodka, don't care about the seeds either way, but adding the vodka, that is a good thing, LEe Stormmee Barbecue 4 24-07-2009 12:36 AM
why vodka in "vodka cream sauce"? Eddie G[_1_] General Cooking 5 01-04-2007 07:23 AM
Chocolate flavored vodka? Ian General 5 29-07-2004 01:54 PM
X flavored Doritos same as old Taco flavored Doritos (circa 1995) Roland Marsey Marketplace 0 19-06-2004 10:24 PM