Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunday Breakfast/Brunch...what did you cook?

I was up early this morning...before everyone else! So, I went to the
farmer's market up in Hillcrest, then the the grocery store, made a quick
stop at TJ's, then home to make breakfast. I had decided I was tired of
waffles and pancakes, and not really in the mood for eggs, so...hmm, what to
make? Eibrot!

If you've never had Eibrot, it starts out a little like French Toast. It's
cubed Challah bread, with eggs, milk, vanilla, etc poured over, then sauteed
until golden. But here's where it gets good...when it's all browned, you
toss it with butter & sugar until the sugar caramelizes. It is sooooo yummy!
With fresh berries, even better!

Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as step
by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

What did you have?

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>I was up early this morning...before everyone else! So, I went to the
>farmer's market up in Hillcrest, then the the grocery store, made a quick
>stop at TJ's, then home to make breakfast. I had decided I was tired of
>waffles and pancakes, and not really in the mood for eggs, so...hmm, what
>to make? Eibrot!
>
> If you've never had Eibrot, it starts out a little like French Toast. It's
> cubed Challah bread, with eggs, milk, vanilla, etc poured over, then
> sauteed until golden. But here's where it gets good...when it's all
> browned, you toss it with butter & sugar until the sugar caramelizes. It
> is sooooo yummy! With fresh berries, even better!
>
> Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as
> step by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>
> What did you have?
>
> kimberly

We had home fries from Baked potatoes with onion & red bell pepper.
Spinach scrambled eggs with Romano cheese
Maple double cut bacon from Costco
Toast from home made bread
French Press coffee.
OJ.

One of the nice things about cooking with Cast Iron pans is the potatoes and
eggs stay warm for quite a while on the table.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> I was up early this morning...before everyone else! So, I went to the
> farmer's market up in Hillcrest, then the the grocery store, made a quick
> stop at TJ's, then home to make breakfast. I had decided I was tired of
> waffles and pancakes, and not really in the mood for eggs, so...hmm, what to
> make? Eibrot!
>
> If you've never had Eibrot, it starts out a little like French Toast. It's
> cubed Challah bread, with eggs, milk, vanilla, etc poured over, then sauteed
> until golden. But here's where it gets good...when it's all browned, you
> toss it with butter & sugar until the sugar caramelizes. It is sooooo yummy!
> With fresh berries, even better!
>
> Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as step
> by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>
> What did you have?

Didn't need to cook at all. The Maternal Unit made pancakes for
breakfast. Nice to have someone cook for me on Sunday

> kimberly
> --
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:43:03 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as step
>by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
>http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

OMG, that looks sooo good! It's on the "to do" list for sure.

>What did you have?

Nothing today, nothing yesterday either. What went in came out about
15 minutes later, I couldn't even tolerate plain water. Low grade
fever, lots of sleep... finally got a hunger pang looking at your
delicious photos.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I was up early this morning...before everyone else! So, I went to the
> farmer's market up in Hillcrest,

Oh, is that the one at the Normal St. DMV? I loved that market when I
lived there.

> then the the grocery store, made a quick
> stop at TJ's, then home to make breakfast. I had decided I was tired of
> waffles and pancakes, and not really in the mood for eggs, so...hmm, what to
> make? Eibrot!
>
> If you've never had Eibrot, it starts out a little like French Toast. It's
> cubed Challah bread, with eggs, milk, vanilla, etc poured over, then sauteed
> until golden. But here's where it gets good...when it's all browned, you
> toss it with butter & sugar until the sugar caramelizes. It is sooooo yummy!
> With fresh berries, even better!

That sounds amazing. Yum!

> Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as step
> by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>
> What did you have?

Made a Spanish tortilla with onions and purple potatoes. It was
delicious, and we had some really good cantaloupe wedges on the side.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:43:03 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>>Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as
>>step
>>by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
>>http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>>

> OMG, that looks sooo good! It's on the "to do" list for sure.
>
>>What did you have?

> Nothing today, nothing yesterday either. What went in came out about
> 15 minutes later, I couldn't even tolerate plain water. Low grade
> fever, lots of sleep... finally got a hunger pang looking at your
> delicious photos.

Aww sorry to hear you've been feeling under the weather! I am really
intolerant of stomach upset, it really just irks me. Hope those hunger pangs
mean you're on the mend!! As soon as you feel up to it, the Eibrot will make
it all better, trust me :-)

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Nexis wrote:
>> I was up early this morning...before everyone else! So, I went to the
>> farmer's market up in Hillcrest,

> Oh, is that the one at the Normal St. DMV? I loved that market when I
> lived there.

Yep, that's the one. I am really thankful to have such a big farmer's market
close by. I still want to check out the Vista one now they they moved to a
(much) larger location, too.

>> If you've never had Eibrot, it starts out a little like French Toast.
>> It's cubed Challah bread, with eggs, milk, vanilla, etc poured over, then
>> sauteed until golden. But here's where it gets good...when it's all
>> browned, you toss it with butter & sugar until the sugar caramelizes. It
>> is sooooo yummy! With fresh berries, even better!

> That sounds amazing. Yum!

It is!! I am *so* glad I happened upon the recipe. It's a favorite around
here, especially at Christmas time when we make it with egg nog.

>> Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as
>> step by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
>> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>>
>> What did you have?

> Made a Spanish tortilla with onions and purple potatoes. It was delicious,
> and we had some really good cantaloupe wedges on the side.
>
> Serene

That sounds good! Well, except the cantaloupe...I hate cantaloupe! lol :-)
I'm much more of a watermelon fan, you know :-)

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:43:43 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:43:03 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone interested can see detailed instructions and amounts, as well as
>>>step
>>>by step pictures I took this morning on my blog:
>>>http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> OMG, that looks sooo good! It's on the "to do" list for sure.
>>
>>>What did you have?

>> Nothing today, nothing yesterday either. What went in came out about
>> 15 minutes later, I couldn't even tolerate plain water. Low grade
>> fever, lots of sleep... finally got a hunger pang looking at your
>> delicious photos.
>>

>Aww sorry to hear you've been feeling under the weather! I am really
>intolerant of stomach upset, it really just irks me. Hope those hunger pangs
>mean you're on the mend!! As soon as you feel up to it, the Eibrot will make
>it all better, trust me :-)

I feel a 100% better this morning, thanks! There's nothing like
wasting an entire 3 day weekend being sick! Going down to DDs for a
cookout today. We have sunshine here for a change, but it's nice to
get away.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:43:43 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>

>><sf> wrote in message ...

>>> OMG, that looks sooo good! It's on the "to do" list for sure.

>>> Nothing today, nothing yesterday either. What went in came out about
>>> 15 minutes later, I couldn't even tolerate plain water. Low grade
>>> fever, lots of sleep... finally got a hunger pang looking at your
>>> delicious photos.
>>>

>>Aww sorry to hear you've been feeling under the weather! I am really
>>intolerant of stomach upset, it really just irks me. Hope those hunger
>>pangs
>>mean you're on the mend!! As soon as you feel up to it, the Eibrot will
>>make
>>it all better, trust me :-)
>>

> I feel a 100% better this morning, thanks! There's nothing like
> wasting an entire 3 day weekend being sick! Going down to DDs for a
> cookout today. We have sunshine here for a change, but it's nice to
> get away.

Glad to hear it! Frankly, I'm tired of sunshine I'd like some rain,
really. Maybe a nice thunderstorm. Nothing like Gustav, but something
besides this incessant blue skies and sunshine and high humidity. Since when
is Sandy Eggo humid anyway!? lol

That being said, I hope anyone in the path of Gustav has made it out safely,
and finds themselves surrounded by love and family and well being.

kimberly
--
http://www.eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:06:15 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Glad to hear it! Frankly, I'm tired of sunshine I'd like some rain,
>really. Maybe a nice thunderstorm. Nothing like Gustav, but something
>besides this incessant blue skies and sunshine and high humidity. Since when
>is Sandy Eggo humid anyway!? lol

Unfortunate, plans changed after I wrote that... so if I tear myself
away from the computer - I'll go into work for a couple of hours.

>That being said, I hope anyone in the path of Gustav has made it out safely,
>and finds themselves surrounded by love and family and well being.

Ditto. Glad we only have an occasional earthquake to plan for.

Mae West