Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Throwing out cooking oil

Simple question for some!
Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the oil
away whereas with chips you can use over and over?
What is it with fish?
Does it diminish the quality of the oil?
Is it dangerous in that if you leave for overlong you can get food
poisoning?
Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?

They always say to discard the oil after deep frying fish, but they never
say why.
Anyone know the answer?
Thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jamie wrote:

> Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?

Pretty much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 2:29*pm, "Jamie" > wrote:
> Simple question for some!
> Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the oil
> away whereas with chips you can use over and over?
> What is it with fish?
> Does it diminish the quality of the oil?
> Is it dangerous in that if you leave for overlong you can get food
> poisoning?
> Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?
>
> They always say to discard the oil after deep frying fish, but they never
> say why.
> Anyone know the answer?
> Thank you

Sounds like a rep for a foodservice company. The thing about oil is
that it starts to break down as soon as you heat it. Adding food to it
breaks it down even more. Any coating that doesn't adhere to the food
will wind up in the oil, and it eventually burns. That stuff can end
up on the food... really doesn't taste so good either. Also, as the
oil cools it tends to settle out, and create a clay like layer on the
bottom of your fryer. Then it takes awhile to clean that out. That is
why frying lots of seafood is such a chore. Many large restaurants
have filters for getting more use out of their oil. They are used
while the oil is hot, have a paper type filter that traps most of the
particulates (99%+) and a pump system that gets the oil back into the
frialator.

It's extremely rare that you would get food poisoning from used oil.
Heating oil up to working temperature will kill any cooties in it. The
main culprit is the food being fried itself, and how you store it
later if not eaten.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jamie wrote:
> Simple question for some!
> Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the
> oil away whereas with chips you can use over and over?
> What is it with fish?
> Does it diminish the quality of the oil?
> Is it dangerous in that if you leave for overlong you can get food
> poisoning?
> Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?
>
> They always say to discard the oil after deep frying fish, but they
> never say why.
> Anyone know the answer?
> Thank you

Pish tosh! Want to clarify your cooking oil after cooking anything. Get
you a funnel, preferable a large one, put a paper towel in it to catch
the batter crumbs, pour oil through back into the jug. Just don't mix
used cooking oil and fresh. another way is to fry some chips in the
previously used oil then toss the chips in the trash. The chips, I
assume you're talking about what we 'Muricans call fries, will help to
purify the oil by picking up the fish flavor if any.

My mother did this all during WWII when oil of any kind was hard to come
by. I picked it up from her and have used it every since. Should be able
to get at least two, maybe three uses out of the oil. Waste not, want not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Just don't mix
> used cooking oil and fresh.

Cannot emphasize this enough. The breakdown of oil
proceeds by a free-radical chain reaction, and the
free radicals in the old oil will seed the reaction
in the new oil.

This is also why the fryer should be scrupulously
cleaned every time the oil is changed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Jamie wrote:
>
> > Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?

> Pretty much.

To elaborate, fish itself contains oily fats which
are rendered into the frying oil, transferring a fishy
flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Just don't mix
>> used cooking oil and fresh.

> Cannot emphasize this enough. The breakdown of oil
> proceeds by a free-radical chain reaction, and the
> free radicals in the old oil will seed the reaction
> in the new oil.
>
> This is also why the fryer should be scrupulously
> cleaned every time the oil is changed.

Or if you want to emulate big box restaurants you could just dump in
some of that industrial additive that use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jamie" wrote:
> Simple question for some!
> Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the oil
> away

Where does it say this? Restaurants add fresh oil to deep fryers all
day. Their fryers have automatic filtration systems for removing
particulates but they don't remove the fishyness so those fryers are
dedicated to cooking fish only... of course if you're 'talian you
probably won't notice that your fries stink like CyberClam's crotch.

There's typically a system for reusing oil. The freshest oil is used
for the least odiferous foods, like fries. When the oil used for fries
gets a bit funky it's then used for chicken. The next day when it's a
bit funkier yet then it's used for fish. When it becomes too fishy
'talians use it for sunbathing... 'talians don't do soap and water
bathing. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Jamie" wrote:
>> Simple question for some!
>> Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the
>> oil
>> away

> Where does it say this? Restaurants add fresh oil to deep fryers all
> day. Their fryers have automatic filtration systems for removing
> particulates but they don't remove the fishyness so those fryers are
> dedicated to cooking fish only... of course if you're 'talian you
> probably won't notice that your fries stink like CyberClam's crotch.
>
> There's typically a system for reusing oil. The freshest oil is used
> for the least odiferous foods, like fries. When the oil used for fries
> gets a bit funky it's then used for chicken. The next day when it's a
> bit funkier yet then it's used for fish. When it becomes too fishy
> 'talians use it for sunbathing... 'talians don't do soap and water
> bathing. <G>

Sheldon, you have to be the funniest person on Usenet. Really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:51:18 -0400, Paco wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

<bigoted crap snipped>

> Sheldon, you have to be the funniest person on Usenet. Really.

more like the stupidest.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bleek JEALOUS MICK Murphy covets:
> Paco wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote

> > Sheldon, you have to be the funniest person on Usenet. �Really.

> more like the stupidest.

Is it any wonder a Mick's favorite color is GREEN! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Vulva Face:
http://www.selfesteem4women.com/jealousy.php?ad=b23

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >> Just don't mix
> >> used cooking oil and fresh.

> > Cannot emphasize this enough. The breakdown of oil
> > proceeds by a free-radical chain reaction, and the
> > free radicals in the old oil will seed the reaction
> > in the new oil.
> >
> > This is also why the fryer should be scrupulously
> > cleaned every time the oil is changed.

> Or if you want to emulate big box restaurants you could just
> dump in some of that industrial additive that use.

The only additive that would have any effect on this
process would be an antioxidant like BHA, BHT, or TBHQ
which would quench free radicals and terminate the chain
reaction. These additives are controversial because
some studies suggest they may be carcinogens.

I've seen boxes of commercial frying fats, and I've
never noticed them to have antioxidant additives.
I have noticed that they are usually highly saturated,
often solid or semi-solid at room temperature.
Saturated fats are far less vulnerable to free radicals.
This gives them much longer service lifetime in the
deep fryer.

I haven't looked at what's being used commercially
recently. The trans fats replaced beef fat and lard
because of the bad publicity animal fats got during
the 1960's and 1970's, especially after the lurid
color photographs of cholestrol-filled arteries
in Life magazine.

Then, research on trans fats found them to be about
as bad as saturated fats. So, in the last couple
years we have cities outlawing trans fats, and the
industry hunting around for more alternatives such
as interesterified fats, but research is beginning
to show that they may be as bad or worse than trans
fats.

I predict a return to beef fat and lard. They're
all-natural, unlike trans fats, interesterified fats,
and whatever new crap comes down the pike.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 4:54�pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> George wrote:
>
> > Mark Thorson wrote:

> > > Cannot emphasize this enough. �The breakdown of oil
> > > proceeds by a free-radical chain reaction, and the
> > > free radicals in the old oil will seed the reaction
> > > in the new oil.

> > > This is also why the fryer should be scrupulously
> > > cleaned every time the oil is changed.

> > Or if you want to emulate big box restaurants you could just
> > dump in some of that industrial additive that use.

> The only additive that would have any effect on this
> process would be an antioxidant like BHA, BHT, or TBHQ
> which would quench free radicals and terminate the chain
> reaction. �These additives are controversial because
> some studies suggest they may be carcinogens.
>
> I've seen boxes of commercial frying fats, and I've
> never noticed them to have antioxidant additives.
> I have noticed that they are usually highly saturated,
> often solid or semi-solid at room temperature.
> Saturated fats are far less vulnerable to free radicals.
> This gives them much longer service lifetime in the
> deep fryer.
>
> I haven't looked at what's being used commercially
> recently. �The trans fats replaced beef fat and lard
> because of the bad publicity animal fats got during
> the 1960's and 1970's, especially after the lurid
> color photographs of cholestrol-filled arteries
> in Life magazine.
>
> Then, research on trans fats found them to be about
> as bad as saturated fats. �So, in the last couple
> years we have cities outlawing trans fats, and the
> industry hunting around for more alternatives such
> as interesterified fats, but research is beginning
> to show that they may be as bad or worse than trans
> fats.
>
> I predict a return to beef fat and lard. �They're
> all-natural, unlike trans fats, interesterified fats,
> and whatever new crap comes down the pike.

Unless you render your own, beef fat and lard are not natural,
commercial lard is highly processed and so is commercially prepared
suet. And unprocessed they're much too strongly flavored for cooking.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=20&submit.y=2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jamie" > wrote:

> Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?

Yes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > ha scritto nel messaggio

Unless you render your own, beef fat and lard are not natural,
commercial lard is highly processed and so is commercially prepared
suet. And unprocessed they're much too strongly flavored for cooking.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=20&submit.y=2

Everybody makes their own lard here in the countryside, and we all can't get
enough of it for our cooking. US expats get all bent about making fruit pie
crusts with lard because they think it tastes like meat, while in reality
the Crisco shortening just hasn't been around that long and many people have
never stopped using lard from their own pigs even in the USA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 2:47*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Jamie wrote:
> > Simple question for some!
> > Why does it say that once you have deep fried fish you should throw the
> > oil away whereas with chips you can use over and over?
> > What is it with fish?
> > Does it diminish the quality of the oil?
> > Is it dangerous in that if you leave for overlong you can get food
> > poisoning?
> > Or is it simply that the oil may taste a bit fishy?

> > They always say to discard the oil after deep frying fish, but they
> > never say why.
> > Anyone know the answer?
> > Thank you

> Pish tosh! Want to clarify your cooking oil after cooking anything. Get
> you a funnel, preferable a large one, put a paper towel in it to catch
> the batter crumbs, pour oil through back into the jug. Just don't mix
> used cooking oil and fresh. another way is to fry some chips in the
> previously used oil then toss the chips in the trash. The chips, I
> assume you're talking about what we 'Muricans call fries, will help to
> purify the oil by picking up the fish flavor if any.
>
> My mother did this all during WWII when oil of any kind was hard to come
> by. I picked it up from her and have used it every since. Should be able
> to get at least two, maybe three uses out of the oil. Waste not, want not..

Didn't I read somewhere that coffee filters were easy and convenient,
and didn't fall apart like paper towel?

N.