Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-08-29) NS-RCF: 'Mystery' meat...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent) for
prompting me to put this one up.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

There is no such thing as a little garlic. ~A. Baer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
> for prompting me to put this one up.

I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 09:59:11a, James Silverton told us...

> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

I simply don't like ground poultry, at least not ground in it's raw state.
I sometimes coarsely grind cooked chicken breast if I'm making chicken
salad for sandwiches.

I make my own pork sausage using pre-ground pork. We occasionally have
burgers on the grill or meatloaf using ground beef.

Different tastes I suppose.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 13hrs 50mins
I was arrested for selling illegal
sized paper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to
> be very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

Simple: lots of people don't like ground poultry

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

I learned there is a huge difference between "ground breast of turkey" and
"ground turkey."

The ground turkey is dark meat and cooks up (as pan fried burgers) juicy
and delicious while the ground turkey breast tastes "bony" like they just
ground up the whole breast, ribs and all and if not careful cooks very
dense and dry. Actually that's a good arguement for grinding your own.

Ground turkey probably makes decent meatballs for spaghetti or for meatball
submarine sandwiches!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <zVVtk.10$sq3.0@trnddc07>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> > Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
> > for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

Well, James, I usually either buy whole turkeys or chickens. If I buy
poultry parts, its dark meat, skin on. I've never seen ground poultry
with the skin on ... hence, "never" for me.

Regards,
Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 12:44:11p, Dave W told us...

> In article <zVVtk.10$sq3.0@trnddc07>,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>>
>> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> > Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> > for prompting me to put this one up.

>> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
>> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
>> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

> Well, James, I usually either buy whole turkeys or chickens. If I buy
> poultry parts, its dark meat, skin on. I've never seen ground poultry
> with the skin on ... hence, "never" for me.

No, what you usually get, unless advertised otherwise, is ground chicken
with ground skin mixed in. Same for turkey.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 11hrs 13mins
Cats must lick the other cat's behind
in front of Mom and her friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>>> for prompting me to put this one up.

>> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
>> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to
>> be very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

> Simple: lots of people don't like ground poultry
>
> Jill

Right! If I grind my own I don't include the skin. Most ground turkey
I've seen has a higher fat content because they grind it skin, fat under
the skin, and all. Plus the mouth feel of ground chicken is nasty to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
>>> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat
>>> to be very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

>> Simple: lots of people don't like ground poultry

> Right! If I grind my own I don't include the skin. Most ground turkey
> I've seen has a higher fat content because they grind it skin, fat
> under the skin, and all. Plus the mouth feel of ground chicken is
> nasty to me.

I feel the same way, and you can include chicken sausage.
Blech.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent) for
> prompting me to put this one up.

I get my ground meat from my butcher. He usually has mixed beef and
pork,which makes great hamburgers and meat balls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

That was my answer. I have never bought ground chicken or turkey, nor
have I tried chicken or turkey sausages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> On 29-Aug-2008, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Ground turkey probably makes decent meatballs for spaghetti or for
>> meatball
>> submarine sandwiches!
>>
>> Andy

> If you really believe that, you may also like Armour Sliced Dried Beef

(the
> stuff in jars) with Velveeta to make a Philly Cheese Steak 8-(

l, not -l,

When you're in the trenches...

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote

>> Ground turkey probably makes decent meatballs for spaghetti or for
>> meatball submarine sandwiches!

> If you really believe that, you may also like Armour Sliced Dried Beef
> (the
> stuff in jars) with Velveeta to make a Philly Cheese Steak 8-(

Now now (grin). I was contemplating making some meatballs up soon. I use a
mix of 50% or so beef, 25-35% ground turkey or chicken, and the rest is
ground pork.

I havent done this in a bit as my favorite butcher is back in Sasebo. I'd
select my cuts from his case and he'd grind it all up for me then and there.
Sadly, here I have to grind my own and havent figured out how to grind
poultry right with my hand wheel unit (manual, not electric).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
>>> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to
>>> be very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

>> Simple: lots of people don't like ground poultry
>>
>> Jill

> Right! If I grind my own I don't include the skin. Most ground turkey
> I've seen has a higher fat content because they grind it skin, fat under
> the skin, and all. Plus the mouth feel of ground chicken is nasty to me.

Right. I've found that store-bought ground poultry is higher in fat than
the beef I grind myself at home. Besides that, there is nothing, IMHO,
that can make ground turkey taste good. Ground chicken is good to stuff
Chinese dumplings, lettuce leaves ala PF Chang's, egg rolls and in
kreplach. Maybe a chicken croquette.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

I don't like ground poultry, but then I'm not a huge fan of poultry in
the first place. I don't remember the last time I bought it -- probably
years and years ago, but we have ground pork fairly regularly, and
ground beef once in a while.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message

> I don't like ground poultry, but then I'm not a huge fan of poultry in the
> first place. I don't remember the last time I bought it -- probably years
> and years ago, but we have ground pork fairly regularly, and ground beef
> once in a while.
>
> Serene

I like poultry, but not ground. I've added dark meat turkey to pork for a
sausage mix though. At about 25% you'd never know it is in there. At 100%,
I don't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 12:59*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *ChattyCathy *wrote *on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> > Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
> > for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

Ground poultry is a substitute for ground mammal. It doesn't taste
like either of them, and is a poor substitute. If you buy them
because you like making chicken balls or turkey sausage, you'll like
them. If you're trying to reduce your cholesterol and saturated fats,
you feel like you're being punished by eating them.

I'd rather cut back on the amount of meat that I eat than eat
substitutes.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory.

Which Perdue's ground white meat, chicken, turkey, or both?

> I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

Now I find that weird, most folks prefer ground beef and ground pork
to ground poultry... I can understand not eating ground pork if you
keep kosher and don't eat any pork but not the ground beef.

I try not to eat any ground meat unless I grind it myself, but that's
not always possible as I enjoy certain cold cuts, like salamis,
bolognas, wursts, etc., but I don't consume enough to make my own. I
detest ground turkey in any form but occasionally I coarse grind
skinless/boneless chicken breasts for croquettes, or to make small
oriental flavored meat balls. People always seem to have trouble with
cooking chicken breasts but ground, mixed with veggies n' seasoning,
formed into thick patties, breaded, and fried (or grilled) eliminates
any doneness guesswork. And small oriental seasoned chicken meat
balls dropped into chicken noodle soup to poach just long enough to
cook through are delicious.

I don't know why anyone buys preground mystery meat when it's so
simple to grind ones own... the only way to know what/who's in it...
and it can't possibly be the cost of a meat grinder, not when folks
are spending thousands on designer kitchens/appliances, and more on a
stupid pot than a decent grinder costs... why does anyone need a $200
pot on a $2,000 stove in a $50,000 kitchen for cooking mystery meat...
they're not well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:59:11 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:20:47 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Thanks go to several threads (some recent, some not so recent)
>> for prompting me to put this one up.

> I wonder why there was an initial preference for "never" on ground
> chicken and turkey? I have always found Perdue's ground white meat to be
> very satisfactory. I never eat pork and seldom ground beef.

i did notice the birds were getting it in the neck.

i (and i guess the others) just never eat ground chicken or turkey. aside
from the odd thai recipe, there just doesn't seem any reason to, for me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:

> Ground poultry is a substitute for ground mammal. It doesn't taste
> like either of them, and is a poor substitute.

Nonsense. Make some Chicken Pojarski and you'll change your opinion,
guaranteed.

Victor