Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
it off our hands.
My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.

Uh oh....

Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
pans gone!
I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks

Glad to hear it!

> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
> they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
> roll pans gone!
> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
> have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

Maybe he didn't look in the drawer, either. Can't you call the guy and
explain the situation?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:31:37 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks
>
>Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
>husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
>any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
>it off our hands.
>My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
>other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
>drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.
>
>Uh oh....
>
>Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
>took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
>pans gone!
>I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
>realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

He probably didn't even look... when our landlord gave us a new stove
(actually his old one but it was still nicer than the one that came
with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
>realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?

That's what I would do...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> He probably didn't even look... when our landlord gave us a new stove
> (actually his old one but it was still nicer than the one that came
> with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
> cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
> forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
> the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.

Same problem here! Since when did ovens not come with broiler pans?? I
thought that was standard practice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
> left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?
>
> That's what I would do...
>
> Christine

<sigh> Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
dunno?
We (he!) goofed. I'll just have to order new. I hope whomever ended up
with them appreciate them and use them.
I probably had too many anyway? LOL, not something *you'd* know about, eh?
Goomba- otherwise happy because the granite arrives Friday. Water next!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote

> Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
> husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
> any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
> it off our hands.
> My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
> other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
> drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.
>
> Uh oh....
>
> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
> took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
> pans gone!
> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
> realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They
wound up wherever it is old appliances go when they die.

I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote

>> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
>> they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
>> roll pans gone!
>> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
>> have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

> Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
> I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They wound up
> wherever it is old appliances go when they die.
> I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
> went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
> off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)
>
> nancy

You too?! LOL.. I'm glad it wasn't just us. Moving everything out of the
kitchen is a huge, HUGE undertaking, isn't it?
And until reading your last sentence, I was wondering why you'd store a
door knocker in the oven drawer....? LOL
I bought another folding metal steam basket today while at the Px. $5.
I doubt the baking sheets will be that reasonably priced?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message

> Uh oh....
>
> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
> took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll pans
> gone!
> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
> realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

He probably never looked. OTOH, take some comfort that the guy's wife
thinks you are the greatest person in the world giving her all those pans.
Maybe she'll bake some cookies for the kids.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:
> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
> took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
> pans gone!
> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
> realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

So call him!! Tonight!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:
> with the apartment), they tossed out our broiler pan and a couple of
> cooling racks because I was storing them in the oven drawer... I
> forgot they were in there until it was too late! Annoying too, because
> the new oven didn't come with a broiler pan so now I don't have one.

Second-hand stores have lots of broiler pans with racks. Check it out.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> He probably never looked. OTOH, take some comfort that the guy's wife
> thinks you are the greatest person in the world giving her all those pans.
> Maybe she'll bake some cookies for the kids.

Hey.. there is some comfort in that idea. I just hope he did bring them
home and not trash them? They were all great pans. The round ones were
this neat "texture" design that was supposed to help keep things from
sticking. I need to find some more of them. The jelly roll pans were
from restaurant supply house shopping, so I imagine I'll be able to find
them again easily. I've never purchased a broiler pan before
(specifically) as they always came with the ovens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks
>
> Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
> husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
> any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
> it off our hands.
> My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
> other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
> drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.
>
> Uh oh....
>
> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
> took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
> pans gone!
> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
> realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.

People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.

Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.

The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "Goomba" > wrote

>>> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
>>> they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly
>>> roll pans gone!
>>> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
>>> have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

>> Until I decided I wanted to bake something in my new kitchen,
>> I had no idea I'd left my baking sheets in the old oven. They wound up
>> wherever it is old appliances go when they die.

>> I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
>> went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
>> off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

> You too?! LOL.. I'm glad it wasn't just us. Moving everything out of the
> kitchen is a huge, HUGE undertaking, isn't it?

I looked for those suckers for a while, too ... there was so
much stuff I didn't notice they were missing. Then I remembered
where I stored them.

> And until reading your last sentence, I was wondering why you'd store a
> door knocker in the oven drawer....? LOL

(laughing) Sorry. I do that.

> I bought another folding metal steam basket today while at the Px. $5.
> I doubt the baking sheets will be that reasonably priced?

I found a couple at Tuesday Morning once for a good price. Just think,
you won't be redoing your kitchen again, what are the odds you'll lose
the next ones ... you'll have them a long time.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:06:27 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> You can't contact the person that took the stove and explain that you
>> left your pans in there by mistake, and that you need them?
>>
>> That's what I would do...
>>
>> Christine

><sigh> Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
>to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
>dunno?

It shouldn't. You were the ones that left them in there...no fault of
the workman.
>We (he!) goofed. I'll just have to order new. I hope whomever ended up
>with them appreciate them and use them.

Hey, what do you have to lose on seeing if the workman can return
them? It's an honest mistake....you left them in there. I sure
wouldn't go out to buy new stuff.... I would get them back. It's
your stuff, after all!!!!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.
>
> People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
> forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.
>
> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>
> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>
> -sw

LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe kick"
drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never know it was
there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
pin, etc.
I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>> <sigh> Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
>> to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
>> dunno?

> It shouldn't. You were the ones that left them in there...no fault of
> the workman.

Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged? All
I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
disposal. What a PITA.

Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > fnord
:
<snip>

> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>
> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>
> -sw

I'd say a QP is not a bad housewarming gift, so-so or not. You really
can't expectthat much from the midwest.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:17:41 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged? All
>I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
>dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
>disposal. What a PITA.
>
>Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL

What do you have to lose by calling to see if you can get them back?

I guess it just seems a bit silly to me, to not even check to see if
you can get them back.

When I put all my stuff in storage years ago, I gave my old computer
to one of the movers. He was interested in it. I wiped it first, and
then just gave it to him. Didn't seem to be a problem with me giving
it to him.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Goomba > wrote:
>Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>>> <sigh> Well, we're not sure which of the workman ended up with it? And
>>> to call the business owner-would that get his employee in any trouble? I
>>> dunno?

>> It shouldn't. You were the ones that left them in there...no fault of
>> the workman.

>Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged? All
>I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
>dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
>disposal. What a PITA.
>
>Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL

What's in it that's worth having? ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saerah Gray wrote:

> Sqwertz > fnord
> :
> <snip>
>>
>> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
>> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
>> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>>
>> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
>> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I'd say a QP is not a bad housewarming gift, so-so or not. You really
> can't expectthat much from the midwest.

I'm thinking the grass was well worth the price, even if it was Indiana
headache weed.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:17:41 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>

>> Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged?
>> All I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it
>> off and dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway
>> needing disposal. What a PITA.
>>
>> Anyone need a decent refrigerator? LOL

> What do you have to lose by calling to see if you can get them back?
>
> I guess it just seems a bit silly to me, to not even check to see if
> you can get them back.
>
> When I put all my stuff in storage years ago, I gave my old computer
> to one of the movers. He was interested in it. I wiped it first, and
> then just gave it to him. Didn't seem to be a problem with me giving
> it to him.
>
> Christine

It's not as if the workman was subcontracting his services to bypass the
boss (as some do). One of them simply said "sure" when the stove was
offered. I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time in their line of
work.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.
>>
>> People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
>> forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.
>>
>> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
>> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
>> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>>
>> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
>> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>>
>> -sw

> LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe kick"
> drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never know it was
> there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
> I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
> pin, etc.
> I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
> http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

I like that drawer idea a lot!!

I also like the idea of built-in baseboard vacuums (I'm sure there's a
proper name for them). You just sweep crumbs up to the baseboard, kick a
switch and they're gone. Probably more trouble cleaning them out than
they're worth, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > fnord
news
> Saerah Gray wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > fnord
>> :
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
>>> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
>>> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>>>
>>> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
>>> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I'd say a QP is not a bad housewarming gift, so-so or not. You really
>> can't expectthat much from the midwest.

> I'm thinking the grass was well worth the price, even if it was

Indiana
> headache weed.

If anything, it could be used to defray first month's rent, depending on
what the neighbors are like

--
Saerah (or the landlord!)

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>> Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before
>> they took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and
>> jelly roll pans gone!
>> I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might
>> have realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

> So call him!! Tonight!

That seems to be the consensus. Goomba seems to think whoever accepted the
stove will get in trouble. I'd bet not.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote

> Not sure if accepting cast off appliances as a "tip" is encouraged?

I know what you're saying, Goomba. I've been in situations like
that where I'm not sure calling someone's boss is a wise idea.

>All
> I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
> dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
> disposal. What a PITA.

I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to deal
with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap. I always mention
if (whatever) is still working, maybe someone would like it. Last
year the tv delivery guy was thrilled to get a big tv that still works,
and I was happy it got a new home.

Don't get me wrong, the appliance store took the old stuff
anyway, but I have on occasion been left with things.

One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
$19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
>> went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
>> off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

> So if somebody British comes to your house they can't knock you up....

(laugh) No, they cannot do that. They can bang!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 05:14:44a, Nancy Young told us...

> "hahabogus" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I lost something worse, a doorknocker that I paid a lot for, and
>>> went out of my way to purchase. How could I forget to take it
>>> off the old door when I had it replaced? (sigh)

>> So if somebody British comes to your house they can't knock you up....

> (laugh) No, they cannot do that. They can bang!
>
> nancy

I hope it's not a gang!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 18hrs 38mins
If you're in a car travelling at the
speed of light in reverse and turn on
the headlights, what happens?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Wed 27 Aug 2008 05:14:44a, Nancy Young told us...

>> "hahabogus" > wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> So if somebody British comes to your house they can't knock you up....

>> (laugh) No, they cannot do that. They can bang!

> I hope it's not a gang!

A gang of Brits, I like that. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote
>
>> I know is we were happy not to have to pay someone to haul it off and
>> dispose of it. I have so much in my garage and driveway needing
>> disposal. What a PITA.

> I hear ya, I can't just put stuff like that at the curb. I have to
> deal with it, and hiring people to haul it is not cheap. I always
> mention if (whatever) is still working, maybe someone would like it. Last
> year the tv delivery guy was thrilled to get a big tv that still
> works, and I was happy it got a new home.
>
> Don't get me wrong, the appliance store took the old stuff
> anyway, but I have on occasion been left with things.
>
> One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
> $19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
> of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
> town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.
>
> nancy

1-800-JUNK. (That's not a joke!). When I moved into my apartment I had my
own refrigerator. They took theirs out (and deducted a few bucks off the
monthly rent) and I used mine until it finally died (it was close to 20
years old). When it *did* die I was stuck with getting rid of the old one.
Called 1-800-JUNK and they sent a couple of guys over with a big truck.
They hauled off the refrigerator (to an appropriate disposal place) and an
old overstuffed chair for under $100.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:31:46 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Goomba wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I've scored so many excellent baking sheets and pans this way.
>>>
>>> People buy these things and stash them under the stove, only to be
>>> forgotten about. The cleaners never look down there.
>>>
>>> Somebody left a 1/4lb+ of marijuana in the apartment I moved into at
>>> 1999 Fountainview Court, Columbus OH (Reynoldsburgh) in 1996 - Along
>>> with 2 Airbake half-sheet pans in that same drawer.
>>>
>>> The marijuana was just so-so (considering I just moved from Northern
>>> California) but I still have the Airbake sheet pans <cough>.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> LOL, one of the neatest features on my new cabinets are the "toe kick"
>> drawers which if you didn't know existed, you'd .....never know it was
>> there! We're calling it my "dope drawer" LOL
>> I've loaded it with infrequently used items such as skewers, rolling
>> pin, etc.
>> I wish I had more of these bad boys.. take a peek-
>> http://i33.tinypic.com/ad0y6v.jpg

>I like that drawer idea a lot!!
>
>I also like the idea of built-in baseboard vacuums (I'm sure there's a
>proper name for them). You just sweep crumbs up to the baseboard, kick a
>switch and they're gone. Probably more trouble cleaning them out than
>they're worth, though.
>
>Jill

The baseboards vacuums are part of a whole house vacuum system. The
crumbs and dirt go to the central collection point in the basement or
garage. Change the bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
> oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
> and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
> I'll trash it.

A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
replaced with '£10' sign... cooker stolen)

--
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble;
prosperity is full of friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
>> $19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
>> of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
>> town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.

> 1-800-JUNK. (That's not a joke!). When I moved into my apartment I had
> my own refrigerator. They took theirs out (and deducted a few bucks off
> the monthly rent) and I used mine until it finally died (it was close to
> 20 years old). When it *did* die I was stuck with getting rid of the old
> one. Called 1-800-JUNK and they sent a couple of guys over with a big
> truck. They hauled off the refrigerator (to an appropriate disposal place)
> and an old overstuffed chair for under $100.

I checked into them and their prices were considerably higher
than that here. For one thing, I think our dumping fees are much
higher, though I'm sure they sell appliances to metal scrap dealers.
It sure would have been easier to call someone.

I had other things to do, too, pick up shrubbery, take a door screen
to be fixed, all stuff where it was handy to have a truck. Got my
money's worth.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

> We put our old fridge in the basement. It is working out very well. If I
> ever do a remodel again I'm renting one of those dumpsters. They drop it
> off, you fill it up, and then they pick it up. I might do it anyway. The
> contractors came back last Saturday and are now ripping out more drywall
> in other parts of the house this week.

You didn't have a dumpster for your remodel? I had to have one,
the kitchen was torn down to the studs. How else to get rid of all
that crappy paneling?? Heh.

And I called my neighbors and said they could put some stuff in
there if they wanted. Get together with the neighbors and rent
one, everyone has crap to get rid of.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>> UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
>> oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
>> and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
>> I'll trash it.

> A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
> replaced with '£10' sign... cooker stolen)

I think that's true in a lot of cases! I suppose people assume "free" means
"broken". Still, in Michael's case I'm sure he specified it was in working
order.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

<snip>

> UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.
> It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List and I even
> offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess I'll trash it.
>
> Michael

Michael,

You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Just a thought,
Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 9:36�am, Dave W > wrote:
> In article >,
> �"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall oven.. �
> > It's in perfect working order too. �No bites on Craig's List and I even
> > offered it up for free on some of the free groups. �Guess I'll trash it.

> > Michael

> Michael,
>
> You might consider giving it to, say, Habitat for Humanity or some other
> charity that runs a "resale" shop. That would also (probably) get you a
> tax deduction. (Claim it is worth a thousand bucks!) The charities are
> also usually more than happy to pick it up.

Wishful thinking... those non-profit orgs ain't stoopid... lucky to
get a receipt for $25 on a used oven... and they're not gonna send a
truck to pick up one item. Where I live large kitchen appliances are
best put out at the curb with the trash, my private trash guy charges
$10 to pick up a stove... last time I got lucky, someone glommed my
old stove before trash pick-up day... seems in rural areas folks ain't
picky, any furnishings I put out gets picked up in under an hour. Old
computers I donate to the local school, I have to deliver and last I
delivered a PC they were giving their standard $50 receipt, and that
was for a working PC with monitor, keyboard, and speakers... was way
outdated capacity/speed wise but schools can use them, plenty good
enough for teaching purposes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 5:50�am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from Goomba > contains these words:
>
> > The kitchen is coming along nicely, thanks
> > Except...While the electricians and gas line guy were here last week my
> > husband mentioned that we were disposing of the old range. He asked if
> > any of them needed a working gas range? Yeah, apparently one would take
> > it off our hands.
> > My fancy new range is now in and I went looking for my broiling pans and
> > other assorted baking sheets and pans that I stored in the bottom oven
> > drawer....I'm dying to get up and cooking again.
> > Uh oh....
> > Damn. Hubby forgot to empty the drawer out in the old range before they
> > took it!! ALL my good baking sheets, 2 steamer baskets and jelly roll
> > pans gone!
> > I would have though thunk that the guy taking the stove home might have
> > realized we didn't mean for ALL of it to go?? <sigh>

> � �No, he's a guy , like your husband. It's the single-compartment male
> brain syndrome.
>
> � Be happy; Damn Hubby has given you the perfect justification to buy
> brand new everything to go with your new range. Plus enough ammo for
> several future marital debates.
>
> � Janet

Um, not every gal is married to a no good, stoupid, lazy bum... I'm
not even sorry for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 06:02:23a, Nancy Young told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> One thing I did a couple of times was rent a truck, one of those
>>> $19.95 a day deals that's really about $50 and get rid of a bunch
>>> of stuff at the recycle center/wherever they take stuff in your
>>> town. Maybe you could do that, clean out your garage.

>> 1-800-JUNK. (That's not a joke!). When I moved into my apartment I
>> had my own refrigerator. They took theirs out (and deducted a few
>> bucks off the monthly rent) and I used mine until it finally died (it
>> was close to 20 years old). When it *did* die I was stuck with getting
>> rid of the old one. Called 1-800-JUNK and they sent a couple of guys
>> over with a big truck. They hauled off the refrigerator (to an
>> appropriate disposal place) and an old overstuffed chair for under
>> $100.

> I checked into them and their prices were considerably higher
> than that here. For one thing, I think our dumping fees are much
> higher, though I'm sure they sell appliances to metal scrap dealers.
> It sure would have been easier to call someone.
>
> I had other things to do, too, pick up shrubbery, take a door screen
> to be fixed, all stuff where it was handy to have a truck. Got my
> money's worth.
>
> nancy

Once a month our private-pay rubbish collectors have a large item pickup
day. They will pick up ranges, fridges, large furniture items, large TVs,
etc. this does not cost extra. All you have to do is get it to the curb
on time. Our city imposes fines for any rubbish placed at curbside (even
in standard containers) sooner than the morning of pickup.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day