Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm allergic to Mango ?

For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
3-4 months ago.

I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.

Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.

So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
feeling.

Strange!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

Not strange at all.

Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."

Talk you your doctor you might want to start carrying an Epi-Pen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen

http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

No it's not. Google "mango" and enter "enzymes" in the "search within
results" box. It has an enzyme like that in papaya that tenderizes meat. You
are meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote :

> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."

No way! Really? I wonder if the enzyme is the culprit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive enzyme.
Not going to harm you.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote

> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
> of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive
> enzyme.

It was my impression that food allergies usually have more dramatic effects
than that. I have heard of people whose throats completely close from the
inflammation, so that they cannot breathe. My father had very strange
allergies, because the foods in question *sometimes* affected him and
sometimes did not. It may have been something he sometimes ate in
conjunction with them, I don't know. His entire face swelled, his eyes
swelled shut and everything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote
>
>> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to
>> some of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive
>> enzyme.

> It was my impression that food allergies usually have more dramatic
> effects than that. I have heard of people whose throats completely close
> from the inflammation, so that they cannot breathe. My father had very
> strange allergies, because the foods in question *sometimes* affected him
> and sometimes did not. It may have been something he sometimes ate in
> conjunction with them, I don't know. His entire face swelled, his eyes
> swelled shut and everything.

I am not aware of benign food allergies. If you have one, they can kill
you. There are a great many food sensitivities which cause other non-lethal
reactions.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message ...

| "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
| > For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
| > 3-4 months ago.
| >
| > I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
| > puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
| > same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
| >
| > Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
| > nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
| >
| > So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
| >
| > The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
| > coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
| > and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
| > feeling.
| >
| > Strange!
|
| You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
| of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive enzyme.
| Not going to harm you.

This is simply not true, and could kill you if you take it literally. An allergy
can develop over time or with increased exposure to the allergen, or a
food sensitivity can be so severe as to threaten life. The thing that you
should do is see a doctor and describe it, probably take some allergy tests
and find out for sure. There is a lot of very good reading on allergy on
the internet, just Google "food allergy," and pay attention to the experts.
http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foo...g/whatIsIt.htm
This would be a good starting place. Meanwhile, avoid mangos.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital

Then I'm merely sensitive to ragweed pollen? Every doctor has said I'm
allergic. When exposed to it, I sneeze and itch, but it's an
antihistamine situation, not a hospital one. Same for certain sorts of
seafood. When I feel the sore throat on swallowing, I quick take a
Benedryl, not call an ambulance.

There are allergies that cause sneezing, itching, and hives. There are
allergies that cause anaphylactic shock. They're all allergies.
There's no reason why someone can't be allergic to mango and get a mild
reaction.

Usually it's the peel that's the problem. Many people who break out on
contact with the mango tree's sap or peel of the mango can eat it with
no trouble-- provided someone else has peeled it or they've used plastic
gloves when doing it themselves.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote :
>>
>> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
>>

> No way! Really? I wonder if the enzyme is the culprit?

Since you neither know how to click or read, I'll copy and paste for you.

Dimitri

http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm

B. More information:

Mango is not one of the "big eight" allergens (milk, peanut, wheat, seafood,
fish, soya, tree nuts, and egg), and therefore not as much is known about
it. But there are compelling reasons to study less common allergens to the
extent possible. One is that they may be "emerging" allergens, as mango is
(see immediately below). Incidence of an allergy may rise significantly in a
short time, leaving many clinicians unprepared. Furthermore, knowledge of
less common allergens is important not only in terms of the allergies
patients may have, but those they DON'T have. Self-diagnosis is probably
more common in allergy than in any other area of healthcare, and patients
are certainly not restricted mainly to the "big eight" in their incorrect
ideas about adverse reactions they are experiencing. For any reported
adverse reaction, a clinician needs both the means to assemble solid
evidence about the nature of the reaction, and also a theoretical framework
within which to reason. Without, for instance, a range of suspicions of
cross-reactions, based on, for example, botanical relationship or the
presence or the type of a panallergen, diagnosis and management will be
incomplete.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:

> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

Mango contains urushiol, which provokes a reaction
in many people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

Contrary to what other posters said, the cause
of your reaction is not an enzyme.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
>> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
>> 3-4 months ago.
>>
>> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
>> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
>> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>>
>> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
>> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>
>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>>
>> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
>> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
>> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
>> feeling.
>>
>> Strange!

> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
> of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive
> enzyme. Not going to harm you.
>
> Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

Unless the exposure is the "sensitizing dose" as described below.

Dimitri

Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction. After an initial
exposure ("sensitizing dose") to a substance like bee sting toxin, the
person's immune system becomes sensitized to that allergen. On a subsequent
exposure ("shocking dose"), an allergic reaction occurs. This reaction is
sudden, severe, and involves the whole body.

Hives and angioedema (hives on the lips, eyelids, throat, and/or tongue)
often occur. Angioedema may be severe enough to block the airway. Prolonged
anaphylaxis can cause heart arrhythmias.

Some drugs (polymyxin, morphine, x-ray dye, and others) may cause an
"anaphylactoid" reaction (anaphylactic-like reaction) on the first
exposure.[7] This is usually due to a toxic reaction, rather than the immune
system mechanism that occurs with "true" anaphylaxis. The symptoms, risk for
complications without treatment, and treatment are the same, however, for
both types of reactions. Some vaccinations are also known to cause
"anaphylactoid" reactions.[8]

Anaphylaxis can occur in response to any allergen. Common causes include
insect bites/stings, horse serum (used in some vaccines), food allergies
(peanuts and tree nuts are the most common, though not the only), and drug
allergies. Pollens and other inhaled allergens rarely cause anaphylaxis. In
opthamology, the dye fluorescein used in some eye exams is a well known
trigger. Some people have an anaphylactic reaction with no identifiable
cause.
Anaphylaxis occurs infrequently. However, it is life-threatening and can
occur at any time. Risks include prior history of any type of allergic
reaction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote :
>>>
>>> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
>>>

>> No way! Really? I wonder if the enzyme is the culprit?

> Since you neither know how to click or read, I'll copy and paste for you.
>
> Dimitri
>
> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm

Or, you could kiss my ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 11:03*am, Paul McNoob > wrote:
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

Ask your dermatologist. Don't ask for medical advice in this
newsgroup. It could be an allergy - in which case, each reaction is
likely to be worse than the one before, and eventually could kill
you. If it's just a sensitivity, you have to decide if it's worth it
to eat the thing or not. Ask your dermatologist.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
>> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
>> 3-4 months ago.
>>
>> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
>> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
>> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>>
>> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
>> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>
>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>>
>> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
>> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
>> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
>> feeling.
>>
>> Strange!

> Not strange at all.
> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
> Talk you your doctor you might want to start carrying an Epi-Pen.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen
> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
>
> Dimitri

IIRC, mango is related rather closely to poison ivy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:39:57 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Not going to harm you.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor...since Mr. Cook doesn't have
a DR. in front of his hame.

Use caution....since you can become allergic at any time in your life.
A medical professional can answer your questions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
>>> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
>>> 3-4 months ago.
>>>
>>> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a
>>> LITTLE puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel
>>> chapped. The same irritation I had after the first time I had the
>>> mango. Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to
>>> anything - nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>>
>>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>>>
>>> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
>>> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the
>>> mango and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are
>>> irritated/chapped feeling.
>>>
>>> Strange!

>> Not strange at all.
>> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
>> Talk you your doctor you might want to start carrying an Epi-Pen.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen
>> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
>>
>> Dimitri

> IIRC, mango is related rather closely to poison ivy.
>
> Bob

I always thought poison oak, but kind of the same thing.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything
>> - nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>
>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

> Mango contains urushiol, which provokes a reaction
> in many people.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol
>
> Contrary to what other posters said, the cause
> of your reaction is not an enzyme.

I thought it was related to poison oak! That's the perfect article.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> > For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> > 3-4 months ago.
> >
> > I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> > puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> > same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
> >
> > Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> > nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
> >
> > So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
> >
> > The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> > coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> > and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> > feeling.
> >
> > Strange!

> Not strange at all.
>
> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
>
> Talk you your doctor you might want to start carrying an Epi-Pen.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen
>
> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
>
> Dimitri

A visit to a good allergist, not your regular doctor would be
worthwhile. A single visit can get you well tested and identify
allergens. Immunotherapy treatments can work very well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:39:57 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>Not going to harm you.

> I would suggest you talk to your doctor...since Mr. Cook doesn't have
> a DR. in front of his hame.

I'm sure he was confused and thought this was a group of allergists. I know
whenever I am sick I go to Internet cooking groups for medical advice. I
thought everyone knew about mango juice and how it can be irritating to soft
tissues.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:10:24 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>I'm sure he was confused and thought this was a group of allergists.

No need to apologize to me. I err on the side of caution...not
blindly run amuck with uneducated advise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:10:24 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure he was confused and thought this was a group of allergists.

> No need to apologize to me. I err on the side of caution...not
> blindly run amuck with uneducated advise.

Well if there is no need, I won't.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 12:39*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message

> > For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> > 3-4 months ago.

> > I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> > puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> > same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.

> > Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> > nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.

> > So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

> > The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> > coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> > and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> > feeling.

> > Strange!

> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital *You are sensitive to some
> of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive enzyme.
> Not going to harm you.
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Not so. I am allergic to Mango and have never ended up in the
hospital. Not all allergic reactions (especially at first) require
hospitalisation.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 12:03*am, Paul McNoob > wrote:
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

Paul

I had my first reaction to Mango when I was about 25. It took me a
couple of years and a few reactions before I pinned it down to Mango.
My whole face blows up and I get small blister like things under the
skin, it requires depomedrol injestions for a couple of days to get
rid of the swelling. Your allergic reaction will only get worse. Mine
started with just eating them, then a couple of years ago I picked one
from a tree and got some of the sap from the stalk on my hand... ended
up with the same allergic reaction as if I had eaten it.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote
>
>> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
>> of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive
>> enzyme.

> It was my impression that food allergies usually have more dramatic effects
> than that. I have heard of people whose throats completely close from the
> inflammation, so that they cannot breathe. My father had very strange
> allergies, because the foods in question *sometimes* affected him and
> sometimes did not. It may have been something he sometimes ate in
> conjunction with them, I don't know. His entire face swelled, his eyes
> swelled shut and everything.

An alternate allergic reaction to food is hives or swelling
of the lips or face. Allergic reaction increases with each
subsequent exposure.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

It's quite possible, and there really is no rhyme or reason to allergies.
The only way to know for sure is to be tested, but if you're having any kind
of inflamation after eating it, the odds are good that you are.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com
http://www.revver.com/video/1129189/patriot-act-2/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> 3-4 months ago.
>
> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>
> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>
> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>
> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> feeling.
>
> Strange!

My wife is quite sensitive to the skin and sap of the mango and will
have those symptoms you describe. She cannot handle the fruit with her
bare hands. My guess is that it's similar to poison ivy, although I've
never seen that myself.

Just have your spouse peel that sucker for you. Peel the mango by going
around with a knife starting from the top - try to peel it using one
cut. It would probably be best to rinse the peeled fruit before slicing
it. Wifey has no problems with the flesh.

The sap and skin have no effect on me - that's one of my many super
powers, I guess. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, dsi1 > wrote:
>Paul McNoob wrote:
>> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
>> 3-4 months ago.
>>
>> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
>> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
>> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>>
>> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
>> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>
>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>>
>> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
>> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
>> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
>> feeling.
>>
>> Strange!

>My wife is quite sensitive to the skin and sap of the mango and will
>have those symptoms you describe. She cannot handle the fruit with her
>bare hands. My guess is that it's similar to poison ivy, although I've
>never seen that myself.
>
>Just have your spouse peel that sucker for you. Peel the mango by going
>around with a knife starting from the top - try to peel it using one
>cut. It would probably be best to rinse the peeled fruit before slicing
>it. Wifey has no problems with the flesh.

The easiest way to get the flesh of most modern stringless varieties
is to cut off the two "cheeks" as close to the seed as you can judge,
then spoon the flesh out with a large spoon (dessert or table). If
you feel like getting a bit messy you can then cut though the
remaining ribbon of skin, peel it off, and can suck on the seed. :-)

>The sap and skin have no effect on me - that's one of my many super
>powers, I guess. :-)

Back in The Good Old Days in another place, when all the mangoes I ate
were picked ripe from the tree, I had no mango sap burns. But now,
with far less choice of backyard trees, I have to fight the flying fox
[fruit bats] for a feed -- so I have to pick the fruit at maturity but
not really "soft ripe".

When you pick them like that the damn things often send out a squirt
of their corrosive sap which can cause a skin burn if you don't notice
it and wash it off pretty quickly.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote :
>>>
>>> Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."
>>>

>> No way! Really? I wonder if the enzyme is the culprit?

> Since you neither know how to click or read, I'll copy and paste for you.
>
> Dimitri
>
> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
>
> B. More information:
>
> Mango is not one of the "big eight" allergens (milk, peanut, wheat,
> seafood,

^^^^

Missed that part did we??

Yes, it's possible to develop allergies to odd things much later in life.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
>> For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
>> 3-4 months ago.
>>
>> I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
>> puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
>> same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.
>>
>> Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
>> nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.
>>
>> So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..
>>
>> The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
>> coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
>> and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
>> feeling.
>>
>> Strange!

> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to some
> of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like digestive
> enzyme. Not going to harm you.
>
> Paul

Allergic reactions can range from mild to severe. Just because you don't
end up in a hospital doesn't mean you aren't allergic to something.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 5:12*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> > > For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> > > 3-4 months ago.

> > > I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> > > puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> > > same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.

> > > Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> > > nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.

> > > So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

> > > The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> > > coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> > > and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> > > feeling.

> > > Strange!

> > Not strange at all.

> > Mango "is one of the big 8 allergens."

> > Talk you your doctor you might want to start carrying an Epi-Pen.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen

> >http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm

> > Dimitri

> A visit to a good allergist, not your regular doctor would be
> worthwhile. A single visit can get you well tested and identify
> allergens. Immunotherapy treatments can work very well.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I've been meaning to do this for awhile anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 1:44*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:
> > For the first time in my life (at 37 years old), I had a Mango about
> > 3-4 months ago.

> > I had my very second Mango 2 days ago, and today, my lips are a LITTLE
> > puffier than normal (but not too noticeable) and feel chapped. The
> > same irritation I had after the first time I had the mango.

> > Is it possible to be allergic to Mango? I'm not allergic to anything -
> > nuts, fruits, veggies, seafood, nothing.

> > So why mango? I guess I'll have to search the 'net for this one..

> > The day after eating the mango, my lips feel like I'm about to get a
> > coldsore (which I get). I'm now on the 2nd day after eating the mango
> > and no cold sore, but like i said above, my lips are irritated/chapped
> > feeling.

> > Strange!

> My wife is quite sensitive to the skin and sap of the mango and will
> have those symptoms you describe. She cannot handle the fruit with her
> bare hands. My guess is that it's similar to poison ivy, although I've
> never seen that myself.
>
> Just have your spouse peel that sucker for you. Peel the mango by going
> around with a knife starting from the top - try to peel it using one
> cut. It would probably be best to rinse the peeled fruit before slicing
> it. Wifey has no problems with the flesh.
>
> The sap and skin have no effect on me - that's one of my many super
> powers, I guess. :-)- Hide quoted text -

Interesting. Well, I did touch the skin as I held the fruit, but my
mouth only touched the insides as I scooped them out. Nothing happened
to my fingers/hands. So it's the insides that bother me.

I won't be eating it again, that's for sure. As delicious as it is
*sigh*.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 5:12 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>

> > Dimitri

> A visit to a good allergist, not your regular doctor would be
> worthwhile. A single visit can get you well tested and identify
> allergens. Immunotherapy treatments can work very well.- Hide quoted
> text -

>Yeah, I've been meaning to do this for awhile anyway.

There's an easier way.

1. Go buy a big ripe mango.
2. Take the mango a knife and some paper towels in the car.
3. Drive the car to your nearest emergency room parking lot.
4. Peal and eat the mango.
5. Wait 20 minutes.
6. If you can still breathe you're not allergic.
7. Or if your throat starts to close go into the ER and pray they're not
too busy.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote
>>
>>> You're not allergic or you'd be in the hospital You are sensitive to
>>> some of the enzymes present in mangos most likely a papain-like
>>> digestive enzyme.

>> It was my impression that food allergies usually have more dramatic
>> effects than that. I have heard of people whose throats completely close
>> from the inflammation, so that they cannot breathe. My father had very
>> strange allergies, because the foods in question *sometimes* affected him
>> and sometimes did not. It may have been something he sometimes ate in
>> conjunction with them, I don't know. His entire face swelled, his eyes
>> swelled shut and everything.

> An alternate allergic reaction to food is hives or swelling
> of the lips or face. Allergic reaction increases with each
> subsequent exposure.
>
> gloria p

That's the problem people sometimes don't pay attention to their body. After
the sensitizing dose all hell can break lose.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 08:33:35a, Dimitri told us...

> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> On Aug 26, 5:12 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>

>> > Dimitri

>> A visit to a good allergist, not your regular doctor would be
>> worthwhile. A single visit can get you well tested and identify
>> allergens. Immunotherapy treatments can work very well.- Hide quoted
>> text -

>>Yeah, I've been meaning to do this for awhile anyway.

> There's an easier way.
>
> 1. Go buy a big ripe mango.
> 2. Take the mango a knife and some paper towels in the car.
> 3. Drive the car to your nearest emergency room parking lot.
> 4. Peal and eat the mango.
> 5. Wait 20 minutes.
> 6. If you can still breathe you're not allergic.
> 7. Or if your throat starts to close go into the ER and pray they're
> not too busy.
>
>:-)
>
> Dimitri

LOL! Positively evil!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 15hrs 22mins
Cats don't mind if you do all the driving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 27 Aug 2008 08:33:35a, Dimitri told us...
>

>> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message

>>> A visit to a good allergist, not your regular doctor would be
>>> worthwhile. A single visit can get you well tested and identify
>>> allergens. Immunotherapy treatments can work very well.- Hide quoted
>>> text -

>>>Yeah, I've been meaning to do this for awhile anyway.

>> There's an easier way.
>>
>> 1. Go buy a big ripe mango.
>> 2. Take the mango a knife and some paper towels in the car.
>> 3. Drive the car to your nearest emergency room parking lot.
>> 4. Peal and eat the mango.
>> 5. Wait 20 minutes.
>> 6. If you can still breathe you're not allergic.
>> 7. Or if your throat starts to close go into the ER and pray they're
>> not too busy.
>>
>>:-)
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> LOL! Positively evil!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Well it's simple empirical testing.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 08:44:54a, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> On Wed 27 Aug 2008 08:33:35a, Dimitri told us...
>>

>>> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message

26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...

>>> There's an easier way.
>>>
>>> 1. Go buy a big ripe mango.
>>> 2. Take the mango a knife and some paper towels in the car.
>>> 3. Drive the car to your nearest emergency room parking lot.
>>> 4. Peal and eat the mango.
>>> 5. Wait 20 minutes.
>>> 6. If you can still breathe you're not allergic.
>>> 7. Or if your throat starts to close go into the ER and pray they're
>>> not too busy.
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>

>> LOL! Positively evil!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Well it's simple empirical testing.
>
> Dimitri

Well, yes, but they generally use lab rats. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 15hrs 11mins
Feudalism: When its your Count that votes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.247...

<snip>

>>> LOL! Positively evil!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Well it's simple empirical testing.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Well, yes, but they generally use lab rats. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

And your point is?

(is there a difference with the posters)

I thought this (RFC) was part of the "Infinite Number of Monkeys "Theory of
probability"

;-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 09:25:00a, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .247...
>
> <snip>

>>> Well it's simple empirical testing.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>

>> Well, yes, but they generally use lab rats. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> And your point is?
>
> (is there a difference with the posters)

Reconsidering, no... :-)

> I thought this (RFC) was part of the "Infinite Number of Monkeys "Theory
> of probability"

You make a valid point. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 08(VIII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
4dys 14hrs 33mins
Useless Invention: Electric banana
straightener.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:45:37 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

>>> No way! Really? I wonder if the enzyme is the culprit?

>> Since you neither know how to click or read, I'll copy and paste for you.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
>>

> Or, you could kiss my ass.

is it hypoallergenic?

your pal,
blake

Allergic to food! notbob[_5_] General Cooking 28 07-07-2011 10:07 PM
Allergic to food! Jerry Avins General Cooking 0 03-07-2011 06:53 PM
Allergic reaction??? Wizzzer Diabetic 6 01-08-2006 05:13 PM
Allergic to yeast - does that rule out wine in marinades? James Shugg General Cooking 13 30-04-2004 08:40 PM
Boy threatens to harm allergic teacher with Peanut Butter Cookies Tony Lew General Cooking 24 27-04-2004 07:49 PM