Ron G

Default RFC vs/ Newsguy.cooking

Hi---

What is the use of (both) newsgroups?

Seems like one is a duplicate of the other--

A newbie

Thanks--
Ron

---

jacqui{JB}

"Ron G" > wrote in message

> What is the use of (both) newsgroups?
>
> Seems like one is a duplicate of the other--
>
> A newbie

You *are* a newbie, aren't you? Well, welcome!

There are tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of Usenet groups, many
of which overlap or otherwise juxtapose in subject matter.
Rec.food.cooking is available to anyone who has just about any
newsfeed -- and if it's not offered by one's carrier, one can
generally request said carrier to pick it up. Just off the cuff, I'd
expect that newsguy.cooking is only available to subscribers of
Newsguy.

Each newsgroup also has its own distinct character -- rec.food.cooking
is not alt.cooking.chat, is not rec.food.recipes, is not any of the
alt.food groups, is not any of the [city, state or country].food
groups, is not any of the uk.food+drink groups ... I think you're get
the idea. You could also ask the same question (and get the same
answer) about any of the numerous Yahoo! groups or email lists. Each
group offers something different to its participants.

Stick around, if you're so inclined -- there's a wealth of information
here.
-j

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:11:53 -0600, "Ron G" > wrote:

>Hi---
>
>What is the use of (both) newsgroups?
>
>Seems like one is a duplicate of the other--
>
>A newbie

Are you saying the posts are the same in both groups?

One major difference is that only poeple who subscribe to Newsguy can
read/post to Newsguy groups. That's a very small percentage of the
USENET population.

UNless they're somhow sucking r.f.c posts into Newsguy.cooking (which
is how I originally read your post).

-sw
Victor Sack

Ron G > wrote:

> What is the use of (both) newsgroups?
>
> Seems like one is a duplicate of the other--

The newsgroups have nothing to do with each other.

rec.food.cooking is a worldwide-propagated newsgroup available on most
newsservers quasi by default, since it was created by a near-universally
recognised, trusted process.

newsguy.cooking is a privately created newsgroup with a single point of
presence - Newsguy newsserver, even though it is available to anyone
willing to subscribe, not just to Newsguy customers. It remains a
virtual property of its creator who can control access to it.

Not being propagated or widely available, Newsguy newsgroups are
occupying an obscure niche. Occasionally, they can be very useful...
when used as a more comfortable replacement for mailing lists.

Victor