Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Really bizarre

So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
anyone had a cookin lately?

Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

Janis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700 (PDT), janis >
wrote:

>So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>anyone had a cookin lately?
>
>Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>
>Janis

Heya Janis!

Welcome back!!

Last time I saw you was at Tammy's cook-in, in Sacramento...

How did you end up in Massachusetts?

Last cook-in was at my house, about a year ago. I am now in New
Mexico....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> >Janis

> Heya Janis!
>
> Welcome back!!
>
> Last time I saw you was at Tammy's cook-in, in Sacramento...
>
> How did you end up in Massachusetts?
>
> Last cook-in was at my house, about a year ago. *I am now in New
> Mexico....
>
> Christine

We ended up in Massachusetts because of Rich needing to work :--)
New Mexico!!!! That is a good place to end up!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
janis > wrote:

> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> anyone had a cookin lately?
>
> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>
> Janis

There was talk of having a cook-in this month in Rhode Island, hosted by
Maxine. Maxine, what happened? I initially said I would attend, but this
is my busiest time of year at work so I couldn't get away. August is
also busy period for my family (anniversaries and birthdays), so I
couldn't get out of town to go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

janis wrote:
> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> anyone had a cookin lately?
>
> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>
> Janis

Hi Janis! LTNS! I'm not in Tennessee anymore. I'm in South Carolina.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 8:42*am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *janis > wrote:
> > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. *I guess I was the old
> > school RFCer. *I still see lots of people from the past on here. *Has
> > anyone had a cookin lately?

> > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> > Janis

> There was talk of having a cook-in this month in Rhode Island, hosted by
> Maxine. Maxine, what happened? I initially said I would attend, but this
> is my busiest time of year at work so I couldn't get away. August is
> also busy period for my family (anniversaries and birthdays), so I
> couldn't get out of town to go.

Hmmm. We would love to go to one or have one. Not sure that there
are many people out this way though.

Janis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 9:30*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> janis wrote:
> > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. *I guess I was the old
> > school RFCer. *I still see lots of people from the past on here. *Has
> > anyone had a cookin lately?

> > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> > Janis

> Hi Janis! *LTNS! *I'm not in Tennessee anymore. *I'm in South Carolina.
>
> Jill

Seems that we have all moved around!

J.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> janis wrote:
>> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>> anyone had a cookin lately?
>>
>> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>>
>> Janis

> Hi Janis! LTNS! I'm not in Tennessee anymore. I'm in South Carolina.
>
> Jill

Nothing could be finer than to be in her...

Andy
BUM!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-24, janis > wrote:

> We ended up in Massachusetts because of Rich needing to work :--)
> New Mexico!!!! That is a good place to end up!

Native Cal-cats are becoming Cal-expats in droves.

nb --late of CA, now in CO
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"janis" > wrote

>On Aug 24, 9:30 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> janis wrote:
>> > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>> > school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>> > anyone had a cookin lately?

>> > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

>> Hi Janis! LTNS! I'm not in Tennessee anymore. I'm in South Carolina.

>Seems that we have all moved around!

Hi Janis ... some of us have stayed put.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700, janis wrote:

> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> anyone had a cookin lately?
>
> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

Not much chance of one in SW Virginia, I suppose -- nor
convenient to any part of Mass.

Speaking of way back, I've been meaning to ask how many here
still remember Susan Hattie Steinsapir.

--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of country, who only country know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

janis wrote:
> On Aug 24, 8:42 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>>
>> janis > wrote:
>>> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>>> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>>> anyone had a cookin lately?
>>> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>>> Janis

>> There was talk of having a cook-in this month in Rhode Island, hosted by
>> Maxine. Maxine, what happened? I initially said I would attend, but this
>> is my busiest time of year at work so I couldn't get away. August is
>> also busy period for my family (anniversaries and birthdays), so I
>> couldn't get out of town to go.

> Hmmm. We would love to go to one or have one. Not sure that there
> are many people out this way though.
>
> Janis

Approximately where is "out this way"? I am in the western 'burbs
and looking for a house that is farther out.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-24, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:

> they are up in the mountains somewhere.

As am I, almost dead center in the CO Rockies, at 7100ft. Love it!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:11:51 -0500, Beartooth >
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700, janis wrote:
>
>> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>> anyone had a cookin lately?
>>
>> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> Not much chance of one in SW Virginia, I suppose -- nor
>convenient to any part of Mass.

You could probably pull some from NW North Carolina. I am just over
the NC/VA line on I77.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:22:02 -0500, The Cook wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:11:51 -0500, Beartooth >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700, janis wrote:
>>
>>> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>>> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>>> anyone had a cookin lately?
>>>
>>> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

>> Not much chance of one in SW Virginia, I suppose -- nor
>>convenient to any part of Mass.

> You could probably pull some from NW North Carolina. I am just over
> the NC/VA line on I77.

Well, even that would be kind of a ways, since I'm in Blacksburg
-- a hundred and fifty miles, maybe?

--
Beartooth Squirreler, Wordcrafty Staffwright
Hunting is life, life hunting. That is all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Beartooth" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:22:02 -0500, The Cook wrote:
>
> Well, even that would be kind of a ways, since I'm in Blacksburg
> -- a hundred and fifty miles, maybe?
>
> --
> Beartooth Squirreler, Wordcrafty Staffwright
> Hunting is life, life hunting. That is all
> ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

There's at least one other poster to rfc who also lives in Blacksburg. Bill
Ranck. His wife has a chocolate shope somewhere in town.

I'm in Richmond.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"janis" > wrote in message
> So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> anyone had a cookin lately?
>
> Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>
> Janis

Hi there I still remember the cook-in when you were in LA.

Found one of the T-Shirts.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Beartooth > wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700, janis wrote:
>
> > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> > school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> > anyone had a cookin lately?
> >
> > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> Not much chance of one in SW Virginia, I suppose -- nor
> convenient to any part of Mass.
>
> Speaking of way back, I've been meaning to ask how many here
> still remember Susan Hattie Steinsapir.

And her goat cheese torta? <grin> I do, I do! I began posting a few
months before her transplant and subsequent death.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Beartooth > wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:22:02 -0500, The Cook wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:11:51 -0500, Beartooth >
> >> Not much chance of one in SW Virginia, I suppose -- nor
> >>convenient to any part of Mass.

> > You could probably pull some from NW North Carolina. I am just over
> > the NC/VA line on I77.

> Well, even that would be kind of a ways, since I'm in Blacksburg
> -- a hundred and fifty miles, maybe?

What's your point? I live In Meen-ah-soh-ta and flew to Seattle and to
Calgary to attend cook-ins. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.andreas.com/susan/goatches.html
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
most recently updated last night, 8-17-2008. Fair entries are DONE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

http://www.andreas.com/susan/goatches.html

Thank you!

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:28:29 -0700 (PDT), janis >
wrote:

>> >Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

>> Last cook-in was at my house, about a year ago. *I am now in New
>> Mexico....
>>
>> Christine

>We ended up in Massachusetts because of Rich needing to work :--)
>New Mexico!!!! That is a good place to end up!

Hey, remind Rich that he TOO can post here!! He would be a welcome
poster from the past!

New Mexico is dandy sometimes...especially right now. The chile
harvest is in full swing, and the roasters are out in front of every
store. The aroma of roasting chiles is in the air!

Christine, who remembers Susan Hattie: she was posting regularly when
I first started here...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 8:07*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >> Last cook-in was at my house, about a year ago. *I am now in New
> >> Mexico....

> >> Christine

> >We ended up in Massachusetts because of Rich needing to work :--)
> >New Mexico!!!! *That is a good place to end up!

> Hey, remind Rich that he TOO can post here!! He would be a welcome

Eh, I think that getting Rich to post to anything these days would
take work. He seems much too engrossed in chemistry.

J.

> poster from the past!
>
> New Mexico is dandy sometimes...especially right now. *The chile
> harvest is in full swing, and the roasters are out in front of every
> store. *The aroma of roasting chiles is in the air!
>
> Christine, who remembers Susan Hattie: she was posting regularly when
> I first started here...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-24, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:

> Do you get bears snooping around the back yard too? My brother sent a pic
> of a bear lounging on his deck. Apparently the racoons are busy there too.
> He made the mistake of leaving the window open on his car once. They
> ripped the front seat to shreds.

Yeah, got 'em all. Bars, mountain lions, 'coons, 'posums, etc. Come at
night and toss the garbabe can if not secure. I resurrected my ol' rusty
pellet gun to scare 'em off, but haven't shot one, yet. Deer cross the main
drag through town in daylight.

A young bear cub was out exploring ppl's yards one bright morning last
Spring, but we ran him off. It will get worse this Fall when bears need to
find food for hibernation. Had one adult bear on the deck next to the
sliding glass window, last Fall.

Don't dare leave car winodws down or wasps invade and start a nest.

Love it!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
>school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
>anyone had a cookin lately?
>
>Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.
>
>Janis

Hi Janis, nice to see you back. I hope you stay around. Christine had
a cookin this time last year. It was great fun.
http://kokoscorner.typepad.com/mycor...-road-t-2.html

or try http://tinyurl.com/58o7hh

I'm looking forward to your posts.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/23
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:27:36 GMT, sarah gray >
wrote:

>Goat cheese torta? This sounds like a recipe I need to file for future
>use

It's on the rfc webpage:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/S...0Tomatoes.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

2
> 7s%20Goat%20Cheese%20Torta%20with%20Pesto%20and%20 Sun-dried%

20Tomatoes.
> html
>
> Christine

thanks to you, as well. I should have looked there first.

--
Saerah (sheepish)

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 8:36*pm, koko > wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:43:11 -0700 (PDT), janis >
> wrote:
>
> >So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. *I guess I was the old
> >school RFCer. *I still see lots of people from the past on here. *Has
> >anyone had a cookin lately?

> >Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> >Janis

> Hi Janis, nice to see you back. I hope you stay around. Christine had
> a cookin this time last year. It was great fun.http://kokoscorner.typepad..com/myco...-road-t-2.html

Hey Koko!
Thanks for the link. Great to see you on here.

J.

> or tryhttp://tinyurl.com/58o7hh
>
> I'm looking forward to your posts.
>
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard Shawwww.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 8/23

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 8:42 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> janis > wrote:
> > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> > school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> > anyone had a cookin lately?

> > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> > Janis

> There was talk of having a cook-in this month in Rhode Island, hosted by
> Maxine. Maxine, what happened? I initially said I would attend, but this
> is my busiest time of year at work so I couldn't get away. August is
> also busy period for my family (anniversaries and birthdays), so I
> couldn't get out of town to go.

Well, it ended up being me and Felice, and Felice didn't want to
travel all the way down to RI from Boston just to hang out with me.
I'm snowed under until after March now, so anything that goes on will
happen somewhere beyond then.

welcome back, Janis. I've was a newbie 8 years ago, but enjoy the old-
timers who used to be here.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 9:33 am, janis > wrote:
> On Aug 24, 8:42 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,

> > janis > wrote:
> > > So, I haven't really been on RFC for 8 years. I guess I was the old
> > > school RFCer. I still see lots of people from the past on here. Has
> > > anyone had a cookin lately?

> > > Not in California anymore. Now in Massachusetts.

> > > Janis

> > There was talk of having a cook-in this month in Rhode Island, hosted by
> > Maxine. Maxine, what happened? I initially said I would attend, but this
> > is my busiest time of year at work so I couldn't get away. August is
> > also busy period for my family (anniversaries and birthdays), so I
> > couldn't get out of town to go.

> Hmmm. We would love to go to one or have one. Not sure that there
> are many people out this way though.
>
> Janis

I know of about a dozen, some lurkers, some who never seem to comment
when the idea is broached. Where in MA are you? We visit friends in
Western MA, and have rel's in the Beantown area.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-08-24, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:
>
>> they are up in the mountains somewhere.

> As am I, almost dead center in the CO Rockies, at 7100ft. Love it!
>
> nb

Wow! I'm at 82 feet. Not kidding.

Grew up at 4356 ft. Spent some time in Cortez, Colorado at 6180 ft.

Did I forget to mention Dove Creek, Colorado? Pinto bean capital of the
world. 6850 ft, or thereabouts.

Now I can get down to 0.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:04:12 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:
>"notbob" > wrote in message

>> As am I, almost dead center in the CO Rockies, at 7100ft. Love it!

>Wow! I'm at 82 feet. Not kidding.
>
>Grew up at 4356 ft. Spent some time in Cortez, Colorado at 6180 ft.

And I am in the foothills to the east of Albuquerque, at about 6000+
feet. A friend had a gadget that told me it was about 6500 feet, but
I am not so sure. I can go out on my back patio and look out over
the city (which is about a mile above sea level), and the desert...

Still haven't quite gotten the knack of baking at this level....and
everything seems to take much longer to cook.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 02:18:17a, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:04:12 -0400, TFM®
> > wrote:
>>"notbob" > wrote in message

>>> As am I, almost dead center in the CO Rockies, at 7100ft. Love it!

>>Wow! I'm at 82 feet. Not kidding.
>>
>>Grew up at 4356 ft. Spent some time in Cortez, Colorado at 6180 ft.

> And I am in the foothills to the east of Albuquerque, at about 6000+
> feet. A friend had a gadget that told me it was about 6500 feet, but
> I am not so sure. I can go out on my back patio and look out over
> the city (which is about a mile above sea level), and the desert...
>
> Still haven't quite gotten the knack of baking at this level....and
> everything seems to take much longer to cook.
>
> Christine

Phoenix is 1117 above sea level. Everything cooks just fine here,
including the people. 110° F. yesterday.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 19hrs 2mins
I'm sorry, did I assassinate your penguin?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-25, TFM® > wrote:

> Wow! I'm at 82 feet. Not kidding.
>
> Grew up at 4356 ft. Spent some time in Cortez, Colorado at 6180 ft.

Yeah, but do you have a shuffleboard court?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-25, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> 110° F. yesterday.

Now there's something I do not miss.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 09:05:02a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> Wayne Boatwright >
> 5.247: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Mon 25 Aug 2008 02:18:17a, Christine Dabney told us...
>>
>>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:04:12 -0400, TFM®

>>> And I am in the foothills to the east of Albuquerque, at about 6000+
>>> feet. A friend had a gadget that told me it was about 6500 feet, but
>>> I am not so sure. I can go out on my back patio and look out over
>>> the city (which is about a mile above sea level), and the desert...
>>>
>>> Still haven't quite gotten the knack of baking at this level....and
>>> everything seems to take much longer to cook.
>>>
>>> Christine
>>>

>> Phoenix is 1117 above sea level. Everything cooks just fine here,
>> including the people. 110° F. yesterday.
>>

> It feels like fall here already. We still have hot and humid days but
> for the most part August has been unusually nice around here. I've
> already been eyeballing recipes for soup and stews. I've got to defrost
> the big chest freezer downstairs before I start the fall and winter meat
> stock up Ice chunks are forming on the inside of the freezer. I've
> avoided defrosting it for 3 months now. <<<<shudder>>>> I hate
> defrosting that big old thing.
>
> Michael

I can't look forward to anything resembling fall until at least the end of
October and more likely November. :-( On the bright side, our freezer is
frost free. If it weren't, I don't know where the hell we'd put the food
while we defrosted it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 14hrs 44mins
Oxymoron: Unachievable Accomplishments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-08-25, TFM® > wrote:
>
>> Wow! I'm at 82 feet. Not kidding.
>>
>> Grew up at 4356 ft. Spent some time in Cortez, Colorado at 6180 ft.

> Yeah, but do you have a shuffleboard court?

<grumble>
There is one one block south, and another 2 blocks north.

I even have a wheelchair. No motor though, but now you've got me
thinking...

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:18:17 -0600, Christine Dabney
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>And I am in the foothills to the east of Albuquerque, at about 6000+
>feet. A friend had a gadget that told me it was about 6500 feet, but
>I am not so sure. I can go out on my back patio and look out over
>the city (which is about a mile above sea level), and the desert...
>
>Still haven't quite gotten the knack of baking at this level....and
>everything seems to take much longer to cook.

Christine - send me your snailmail addy. I'll send you the cookbook I
used when I was in CO at 8,500'. The recipes suck, but it sure clues
you in on how to cook at altitude.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:53:13 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Christine - send me your snailmail addy. I'll send you the cookbook I
>used when I was in CO at 8,500'. The recipes suck, but it sure clues
>you in on how to cook at altitude.

Oh, I have a high altitude cookbook, a really good one. Some things
I have been able to adapt, but still.....

Christine, who hopes to solve this problem next year by moving down to
sea level again...