FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fruit fly solutions? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/160620-fruit-fly-solutions.html)

Julia Altshuler 22-08-2008 11:20 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of
orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.

And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink
a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash
the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.

We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
it appropriately.

Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
poisons. Fly paper?

It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
(The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
(Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)

Help!

--Lia

Sky 22-08-2008 11:33 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
> problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
> bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
> The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of
> orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
> dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
> dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
> door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.
>
> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink
> a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash
> the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>
> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
> it appropriately.
>
> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
> poisons. Fly paper?
>
> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
> (The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
> (Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
> we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)
>
> Help!
>
> --Lia

Make a 'fruit fly trap'. Basically, place a funnel inside a glass
that's baited with favorite choice of fruit (juice). Secure the edges
of the glass around the funnel. Make sure the bottom of the funnel is a
couple or three inches above the bait. The flies will go through the
funnel to get the bait, but they won't be able to escape. Hope this
makes sense.

Sky, who's dealing with FFs too

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Nexis 22-08-2008 11:39 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly problem.
> We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a bowl on the
> counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator. The counter tops
> and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of orange juice used
> to get a quick rinse before being put in the dishwasher. Now they're
> getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the dishwasher. The garbage has a
> plastic liner and is behind a closet door. The fruit flies aren't
> gathering there.
>

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink a
> glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash the
> glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>

> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing it
> appropriately.
>

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on poisons.
> Fly paper?
>

> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside? (The
> windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.) (Jim
> suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than we've been
> evolving to do away with fruit flies.)
>

> Help!
>

> --Lia

A few years back we had a similar problem with fruit flies. Eventually we
found out they were hatching new ones, which was why there always seemed to
be more! What I did was make a simple fruit syrup and put it in a bottle,
then make a paper funnel and put it in the top. The fruit flies would go in,
but weren't very adept at getting back out, so it was pretty good at
catching most of them. The rest I killed the old fashioned way...with a fly
swatter.

It worked for us, so I hope it works for you!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
http://www.revver.com/video/1100047/patriot-pilot/#

merryb 22-08-2008 11:40 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

On Aug 22, 3:33*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
> > problem. *We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
> > bowl on the counter to ripen. *Now everything is in the refrigerator.
> > The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. *Glasses of
> > orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
> > dishwasher. *Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
> > dishwasher. *The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
> > door. *The fruit flies aren't gathering there.

> > And still the fruit flies persist. *It's gotten to where we can't drink
> > a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. *If we forget to wash
> > the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.

> > We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
> > it appropriately.

> > Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? *Naturally, we're not big on
> > poisons. *Fly paper?

> > It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
> > (The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
> > (Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
> > we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)

> > Help!

> > --Lia

> Make a 'fruit fly trap'. *Basically, place a funnel inside a glass
> that's baited with favorite choice of fruit (juice). *Secure the edges
> of the glass around the funnel. *Make sure the bottom of the funnel is a
> couple or three inches above the bait. *The flies will go through the
> funnel to get the bait, but they won't be able to escape. *Hope this
> makes sense.
>
> Sky, who's dealing with FFs too
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice- Hide quoted text -

Add a little yeast & sugar to the fruit or juice to drive them wild! I
make a paper funnel- that way, you can adjust it to fit your glass or
jar...

Sky 22-08-2008 11:44 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

merryb wrote:

> On Aug 22, 3:33 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >
> > > The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
> > > problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
> > > bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
> > > The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of
> > > orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
> > > dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
> > > dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
> > > door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.

> > > And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink
> > > a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash
> > > the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.

> > > We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
> > > it appropriately.

> > > Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
> > > poisons. Fly paper?

> > > It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
> > > (The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
> > > (Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
> > > we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)

> > > Help!

> > > --Lia

> > Make a 'fruit fly trap'. Basically, place a funnel inside a glass
> > that's baited with favorite choice of fruit (juice). Secure the edges
> > of the glass around the funnel. Make sure the bottom of the funnel is a
> > couple or three inches above the bait. The flies will go through the
> > funnel to get the bait, but they won't be able to escape. Hope this
> > makes sense.
> >
> > Sky, who's dealing with FFs too
> >
> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice- Hide quoted text -

> Add a little yeast & sugar to the fruit or juice to drive them wild! I
> make a paper funnel- that way, you can adjust it to fit your glass or
> jar...

I found a website that might help --
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621.asp -- I just used a
large plastic funnel because I wasn't so adept at making a paper funnel
<G>.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Nancy Young 22-08-2008 11:50 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
> poisons. Fly paper?

Nothing ever worked better for me than a glass of dry white
wine in a wine glass, just left out to sit. Worked better than
beer.

> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?

One time I had a fruit fly infestation that didn't want to quit.
Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
themselves in a cabinet. Once that disgusting mess was cleaned
up, problem solved.

If you have a continuing problem, they are still hatching somewhere,
I'm sorry to say. You need to find the source in your house.

nancy

KevinS 22-08-2008 11:51 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

On Aug 22, 3:20�pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a
> summer fruit fly problem...

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? �Naturally,
> we're not big on poisons. �Fly paper?

I bought a pitcher plant (carnivorous) at a farmers market.
It's cheap, not particularly attractive, but it works.

Mark Thorson 22-08-2008 11:57 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't
> drink a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget
> to wash the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.

Rinse out the empty wine bottles as soon as
they're empty.

merryb 23-08-2008 12:01 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

On Aug 22, 3:54*pm, Nina > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:50:22 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
> >Julia Altshuler wrote:

> >> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? *Naturally, we're not big on
> >> poisons. *Fly paper?

> >Nothing ever worked better for me than a glass of dry white
> >wine in a wine glass, just left out to sit. *Worked better than
> >beer. *

> >> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?

> >One time I had a fruit fly infestation that didn't want to quit.
> >Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
> >themselves in a cabinet. *Once that disgusting mess was cleaned
> >up, problem solved.

> This has been my experience, too. *There's something somewhere that
> they're eating. *Eliminate that and the problem will (eventually) go
> away.
>
> Flour moths are even worse... I had those in my last house, and we
> never completely got rid of them. *(We had kind of a nasty selling
> experience with that house, so part of me has this evil wish that they
> are still tormenting the current owners.)
>
> Nina

OMG! We had those, too. Little brown moths, right? We had a HELLUVA
time getting rid of them. I finally got a pheromone thing that got
them. I threw soooo much stuff out trying to get rid of them. You will
never guess where they were - in a ziplock bag of white chocolate. It
was disgusting- a bunch of moth wormy things.....ewwwwww!

Sky 23-08-2008 12:16 AM

Flour/woollie bugs/moths; was Fruit fly solutions?

merryb wrote:

> On Aug 22, 3:54 pm, Nina > wrote:
> >
> > Flour moths are even worse... I had those in my last house, and we
> > never completely got rid of them. (We had kind of a nasty selling
> > experience with that house, so part of me has this evil wish that they
> > are still tormenting the current owners.)
> >
> > Nina

> OMG! We had those, too. Little brown moths, right? We had a HELLUVA
> time getting rid of them. I finally got a pheromone thing that got
> them. I threw soooo much stuff out trying to get rid of them. You will
> never guess where they were - in a ziplock bag of white chocolate. It
> was disgusting- a bunch of moth wormy things.....ewwwwww!

I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this trick yet. Does anyone
know for sure?

Sky, who'll probably soon buy some bay leaves in bulk

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

merryb 23-08-2008 12:26 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

On Aug 22, 4:09*pm, Nina > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:01:59 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 22, 3:54*pm, Nina > wrote:

> >> This has been my experience, too. *There's something somewhere that
> >> they're eating. *Eliminate that and the problem will (eventually) go
> >> away.

> >> Flour moths are even worse... I had those in my last house, and we
> >> never completely got rid of them. *(We had kind of a nasty selling
> >> experience with that house, so part of me has this evil wish that they
> >> are still tormenting the current owners.)

> >> Nina

> >OMG! We had those, too. Little brown moths, right? We had a HELLUVA
> >time getting rid of them. I finally got a pheromone thing that got
> >them. I threw soooo much stuff out trying to get rid of them. You will
> >never guess where they were - in a ziplock bag of white chocolate. It
> >was disgusting- a bunch of moth wormy things.....ewwwwww!

> The pheromone thing was the best thing we ever tried, and it still
> only mostly got rid of them. *And they ate enormous Belgian chocolate
> bar that my chef sister had gotten for me... that meant WAR. *They
> love chocolate, and as far as I can tell, they can get through
> anything.
>
> Nina- Hide quoted text -

That really surprised me to find them in chocolate- the *******s!! At
least mine was white chocolate- you lost a dark one :(

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 12:30 AM

Sky wrote:

> I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
> shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
> bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this trick yet. Does anyone
> know for sure?
>
> Sky, who'll probably soon buy some bay leaves in bulk

It might help a tiny bit if you have a tiny problem. I'd say your best
bet is to go through your cupboards carefully, discard anything that
seems old to you, and keep everything else in the pasta-grain-bean-rice
family in the freezer for a year. Meanwhile, clean the cupboards with a
solution of 4:1 water:bleach. You get flour moths when you import the
eggs with a purchase. From there, they lay and hatch, lay and hatch.
The freezer doesn't do anything except keep the eggs from hatching for
the time they're frozen. They thaw and hatch when you remove them. So
cleaning the cupboards and keeping anything edible out of them for a
while is your best bet in halting the infestation.

--Lia

Sky 23-08-2008 12:43 AM

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
> > shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
> > bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this trick yet. Does anyone
> > know for sure?
> >
> > Sky, who'll probably soon buy some bay leaves in bulk

> It might help a tiny bit if you have a tiny problem. I'd say your best
> bet is to go through your cupboards carefully, discard anything that
> seems old to you, and keep everything else in the pasta-grain-bean-rice
> family in the freezer for a year. Meanwhile, clean the cupboards with a
> solution of 4:1 water:bleach. You get flour moths when you import the
> eggs with a purchase. From there, they lay and hatch, lay and hatch.
> The freezer doesn't do anything except keep the eggs from hatching for
> the time they're frozen. They thaw and hatch when you remove them. So
> cleaning the cupboards and keeping anything edible out of them for a
> while is your best bet in halting the infestation.
>
> --Lia

Thanks for the advice, Lia. I'll go through my pantry soon anywho, as I
intend to do some major painting there.

Sky, who hopes intentions come to fruition ;\
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Dirty Harry 23-08-2008 12:48 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly problem.
> We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a bowl on the
> counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator. The counter tops
> and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of orange juice used
> to get a quick rinse before being put in the dishwasher. Now they're
> getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the dishwasher. The garbage has a
> plastic liner and is behind a closet door. The fruit flies aren't
> gathering there.
>

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink a
> glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash the
> glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>

> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing it
> appropriately.
>

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on poisons.
> Fly paper?
>

> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside? (The
> windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.) (Jim
> suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than we've been
> evolving to do away with fruit flies.)
>

> Help!
>

> --Lia

Apple cider vinegar works great for a bait too and it kills them when they
land in it. Can be watered down a bit.
DH

Lynn from Fargo 23-08-2008 12:50 AM

Flour/woollie bugs/moths; was Fruit fly solutions?

> Sky wrote:
>
> > I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
> > shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
> > bay (pun intended <g>). *I haven't tried this trick yet. *Does anyone
> > know for sure?

Go ahead and put the bay leaves in your canisters of anything floury,
Worked for me, You might notice a bay leaf smell to the flour but I
never minded it and I couldn't taste it at all, (but then I rarely
bake sweets).

Avoid refrigerating peaches - that's how they get mooshy and woody. I
used to taste the sample peaches in the store, pick them out soooooooo
carefully - making certain they smelled good and peachy. Then I'd
take them home and put them in the fridge. By the next day they'd be
inedible. Now I put them in a brown paper bag on the counter and every
one has been perfect! Learned that from Lynn Rosetto Casper on the
Splendid Table (NPR).

Lynn in Fargo
No longer refrigerating fruits including tomatoes

Paul M. Cook 23-08-2008 01:07 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly problem.
> We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a bowl on the
> counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator. The counter tops
> and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of orange juice used
> to get a quick rinse before being put in the dishwasher. Now they're
> getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the dishwasher. The garbage has a
> plastic liner and is behind a closet door. The fruit flies aren't
> gathering there.
>

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink a
> glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash the
> glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>

> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing it
> appropriately.
>

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on poisons.
> Fly paper?
>

> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside? (The
> windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.) (Jim
> suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than we've been
> evolving to do away with fruit flies.)

Well it ain't just you. This summer in SoCal has been remarkably mild. So
far we are almost done with summer and I can count the 100+ days on one
hand. Mildest August I think I have ever known in these parts.

I have had no less than 3 huge fly infestations. They have been the worst
ever. Great big huge fat green flys. Utterly disgusting. I spent hours
sucking them up with the vacum cleaner. Also, huge problem with tiny black
flies that almost feel like they are biting. Gnats are a big problem too.
This has been a banner year for flies.

Maybe the mild weather? I don't know.

Paul

Sky 23-08-2008 03:14 AM

Keeping peaches, was Flour/woollie bugs/moths

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> > Sky wrote:
> >
> > > I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
> > > shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
> > > bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this trick yet. Does anyone
> > > know for sure?

> ================================================== ===========
>
> Go ahead and put the bay leaves in your canisters of anything floury,
> Worked for me, You might notice a bay leaf smell to the flour but I
> never minded it and I couldn't taste it at all, (but then I rarely
> bake sweets).
>
> Avoid refrigerating peaches - that's how they get mooshy and woody. I
> used to taste the sample peaches in the store, pick them out soooooooo
> carefully - making certain they smelled good and peachy. Then I'd
> take them home and put them in the fridge. By the next day they'd be
> inedible. Now I put them in a brown paper bag on the counter and every
> one has been perfect! Learned that from Lynn Rosetto Casper on the
> Splendid Table (NPR).
>
> Lynn in Fargo
> No longer refrigerating fruits including tomatoes

Well no wonder why the peaches I've purchased this year didn't fare so
well. I'd put them in the fridge! Thanks for the tip, Lynn. At least
I do know not to put tomatoes in the fridge - my grandmother taught me
that some years ago.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Gloria P 23-08-2008 04:00 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
> problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
> bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
> The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of
> orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
> dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
> dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
> door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.
>

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink
> a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash
> the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>

> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
> it appropriately.
>

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
> poisons. Fly paper?

Many garden centers have sticky yellow strips you can put in a plant pot
to trap whitefly. I don't see why they wouldn't also attract and trap
fruit flies. I wonder if your fruit flies are coming home with you
right on the fruit as eggs that hatch when they get in the house. Do
you have houseplants with possibly the flies lurking in the plant soil?

When we lived on the east coast we often had them on fruit, mostly
bananas, but in desert-dry Colorado I don't think I've ever seen one.

gloria p

sarah gray 23-08-2008 04:27 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

Sky > wrote in
:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
>> problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in

>> bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
>> The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses

of
>> orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
>> dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
>> dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
>> door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.
>>
>> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't

drink
>> a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to

wash
>> the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>>
>> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been

rinsing
>> it appropriately.
>>
>> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
>> poisons. Fly paper?
>>
>> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
>> (The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
>> (Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
>> we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> --Lia

> Make a 'fruit fly trap'. Basically, place a funnel inside a glass
> that's baited with favorite choice of fruit (juice).

I have found that adding a little apple cider vinegar works well, too.

> Secure the edges
> of the glass around the funnel. Make sure the bottom of the funnel is

> couple or three inches above the bait. The flies will go through the
> funnel to get the bait, but they won't be able to escape. Hope this
> makes sense.

Putting plastic wrap with small holes cut in also works.

Saerah

sarah gray 23-08-2008 04:29 AM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
>> poisons. Fly paper?

> Nothing ever worked better for me than a glass of dry white
> wine in a wine glass, just left out to sit. Worked better than
> beer.
>
>> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?

> One time I had a fruit fly infestation that didn't want to quit.
> Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
> themselves in a cabinet. Once that disgusting mess was cleaned
> up, problem solved.

ugh, rotten potatoes are one of the worst smells, IMO.

Saerah

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:31 PM

Fruit fly solutions?- The funnel trap

We tried the funnel trap.

Results so far: The flies like the outside of the trap far more than
the inside. They seem stuck to the outside of the paper until you tap
it. Then they go back to hover mode. I swear I was seeing those slow
hovering un-slappable fruit flies in my sleep.

We baited one trap with water, orange juice, and a drop of dishwashing
liquid. The soap was to help them drown if they did land on the water,
as opposed to finding their way out. We baited the other trap with some
red wine that was unfinished when we left for the trip. We thought it
would be good for cooking. We put the traps on either side of sink
before bed. The distance and bait made no difference.

We're going to try cutting down the size of the paper to only a few
inches above the lip of the bottle (actually a plastic sports bottle
that I used to take with me to the gym).

Today we roll the refrigerator away from the wall to clean behind it.
And we clean the garbage area which is behind a closet door anyway.
We'll do the whole floor again. Other than the drains, we can't think
of anywhere else to clean. We tried the tape over the drain trick. It
didn't work.

I have a friend coming over tonight. We were going to spend the day
cleaning anyway. I'll try to find some fly paper when we go out for
groceries.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:37 PM

Fruit fly solutions?- fruit fly life cycle

Sky wrote:

> I found a website that might help --
> http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621.asp -- I just used a
> large plastic funnel because I wasn't so adept at making a paper funnel
> <G>.

Thanks. If anyone missed it, that's a great webpage. Reading it over,
I see that it's possible that they're coming from outside. We do have a
garden, and we do have a few rotting tomatoes in the compost pile. We
now have the windows shut in the kitchen, but they could be coming in
through the bedroom screens.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:41 PM

Fruit fly solutions?- The weather?

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Well it ain't just you. This summer in SoCal has been remarkably mild. So
> far we are almost done with summer and I can count the 100+ days on one
> hand. Mildest August I think I have ever known in these parts.
>
> I have had no less than 3 huge fly infestations. They have been the worst
> ever. Great big huge fat green flys. Utterly disgusting. I spent hours
> sucking them up with the vacum cleaner. Also, huge problem with tiny black
> flies that almost feel like they are biting. Gnats are a big problem too.
> This has been a banner year for flies.
>
> Maybe the mild weather? I don't know.

I don't know, either. In New England, the weather has been tropical.
That's hot (which means up to the high 80s or into the 90s for us), with
rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon. The information I've been
finding on the web suggests that the weather is only a factor in as much
as it leads to overripe or rotting fruit. (That's if we're talking
about fruit flies. Those other flies are another story.)

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:46 PM

Fruit fly solutions? Houseplants?

Gloria P wrote:

> Many garden centers have sticky yellow strips you can put in a plant pot
> to trap whitefly. I don't see why they wouldn't also attract and trap
> fruit flies. I wonder if your fruit flies are coming home with you
> right on the fruit as eggs that hatch when they get in the house. Do
> you have houseplants with possibly the flies lurking in the plant soil?

Good idea for another place to clean! I didn't think of it until this
second, but I keep seeds and flower bulbs that didn't get planted in the
closet with the garbage. That could do with a good going over. I doubt
it's the source of the problem, but I'm getting desperate. We have no
houseplants.

I'm becoming more sure that the flies came home with us originally in
bananas or peaches, but we've been so good about keeping everything in
the refrigerator now that I'm not sure where they're coming from.

When we shop today, we look for fly paper.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:51 PM

Storing peaches, was Fruit fly solutions?

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Go ahead and put the bay leaves in your canisters of anything floury,
> Worked for me, You might notice a bay leaf smell to the flour but I
> never minded it and I couldn't taste it at all, (but then I rarely
> bake sweets).
>
> Avoid refrigerating peaches - that's how they get mooshy and woody. I
> used to taste the sample peaches in the store, pick them out soooooooo
> carefully - making certain they smelled good and peachy. Then I'd
> take them home and put them in the fridge. By the next day they'd be
> inedible. Now I put them in a brown paper bag on the counter and every
> one has been perfect! Learned that from Lynn Rosetto Casper on the
> Splendid Table (NPR).

Here's a puzzle. I know that peaches and tomatoes shouldn't be
refrigerated, but what if they're responsible for the fruit fly infestation?

Peaches are something we look forward to all year. We live relatively
near an orchard. During the season, we go twice a week to get perfect
peaches at exactly the right ripeness. We know to leave them out on a
plate so that they're not touching as they ripen. I'll try putting them
in a paper bag, but I don't think that will keep fruit flies from
hatching (if the eggs are on the peaches) or from finding them (if the
fruit flies are on something else).

--Lia

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 01:57 PM

Fruit fly solutions?- Pitcher plant

KevinS wrote:

> I bought a pitcher plant (carnivorous) at a farmers market.
> It's cheap, not particularly attractive, but it works.

Now there's a novel solution I never thought of. I don't know where I'd
begin looking for one. Don't they act slowly and snap on each bug
individually, then take a while before opening for the next one? I'm
not running out to find and buy one, but I am intrigued by the idea.

--Lia

jmcquown[_2_] 23-08-2008 02:16 PM

Sky wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 22, 3:54 pm, Nina > wrote:
>>>
>>> Flour moths are even worse... I had those in my last house, and we
>>> never completely got rid of them. (We had kind of a nasty selling
>>> experience with that house, so part of me has this evil wish that
>>> they are still tormenting the current owners.)
>>>
>>> Nina

>> OMG! We had those, too. Little brown moths, right? We had a HELLUVA
>> time getting rid of them. I finally got a pheromone thing that got
>> them. I threw soooo much stuff out trying to get rid of them. You
>> will never guess where they were - in a ziplock bag of white
>> chocolate. It was disgusting- a bunch of moth wormy
>> things.....ewwwwww!

> I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers,
> closets, shelving, and such can help to keep those flour
> moths/woollie bugs at bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this
> trick yet. Does anyone know for sure?
>
> Sky, who'll probably soon buy some bay leaves in bulk

I don't have room (at home) to store flour or cornmeal in the freezer. The
bay leaf trick works.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 23-08-2008 02:19 PM

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> KevinS wrote:
>
>> I bought a pitcher plant (carnivorous) at a farmers market.
>> It's cheap, not particularly attractive, but it works.

> Now there's a novel solution I never thought of. I don't know where
> I'd begin looking for one. Don't they act slowly and snap on each bug
> individually, then take a while before opening for the next one? I'm
> not running out to find and buy one, but I am intrigued by the idea.
>

> --Lia

You're thinking of a venus fly trap. There are several kinds but basically
a pitcher plant looks like this:

http://www.steve.gb.com/images/plant..._cv_maxima.jpg

They have very sweet sticky sap that attracts insects into the "pitcher".
The bugs get stuck and the plant eats them. Not sure if it would help with
a large infestation of fruit flies, though.

Jill

Nancy Young 23-08-2008 02:25 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

"sarah gray" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> One time I had a fruit fly infestation that didn't want to quit.
>> Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
>> themselves in a cabinet. Once that disgusting mess was cleaned
>> up, problem solved.

> ugh, rotten potatoes are one of the worst smells, IMO.

Ugh, it was a horror story. What it that awful stench??? I
would have known there were rotten potatoes if they'd
smelled while they were rotting. They waited till the bag
was moved. Ack.

nancy

KevinS 23-08-2008 02:27 PM

On Aug 23, 5:57�am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Now there's a novel solution [pitcher plant] I never
> thought of. �I don't know where I'd begin looking for
> one. �

I just came across them by chance. The lady had lots
of them, and she has made a small side business out
of selling unusual novelty plants. I had seen her at this
particular market before.

> Don't they act slowly and snap on each bug
> individually, then take a while before opening for
> the next one? �I'm not running out to find and buy
> one, but I am intrigued by the idea.

This is not like a Venus flytrap. There is no mechanical
action. There is a roughly conical blossom (sometimes
more than one) lined with downward pointing hairlike
structures. There is a little pool of what I guess I'd
call nectar at the bottom of the cone. The bugs are
attracted to the nectar, go into the blossom and never
come back out. Most of my fruit flies were gone
overnight.

Nancy Young 23-08-2008 02:50 PM

Fruit fly solutions?- The funnel trap

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Results so far: The flies like the outside of the trap far more than
> the inside. They seem stuck to the outside of the paper until you tap
> it. Then they go back to hover mode.

Here's the thing about using a wine glass ... no paper cone
obstacle course. They fly in, drink some wine and become
unable to fly out or climb out. The inward curving sides seem
to do the job.

If they are coming in from outside, you have to wonder why.
There is something making them think there's food in there,
because why else leave the rotting tomatoes?

nancy

BOB[_1_] 23-08-2008 04:13 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Nancy Young" wrote...
> Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
> themselves in a cabinet.

> nancy

Eeewwww! Nothing's worse than liquidized potatoes. Why can't you (not
"you", but anybody, 'you') smell them rotting before they get to that point?

BOB

blake murphy[_2_] 23-08-2008 04:26 PM

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:27:00 -0700 (PDT), KevinS wrote:

> On Aug 23, 5:57�am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>> Now there's a novel solution [pitcher plant] I never
>> thought of. �I don't know where I'd begin looking for
>> one. �

> I just came across them by chance. The lady had lots
> of them, and she has made a small side business out
> of selling unusual novelty plants. I had seen her at this
> particular market before.
>
>> Don't they act slowly and snap on each bug
>> individually, then take a while before opening for
>> the next one? �I'm not running out to find and buy
>> one, but I am intrigued by the idea.

> This is not like a Venus flytrap. There is no mechanical
> action. There is a roughly conical blossom (sometimes
> more than one) lined with downward pointing hairlike
> structures. There is a little pool of what I guess I'd
> call nectar at the bottom of the cone. The bugs are
> attracted to the nectar, go into the blossom and never
> come back out. Most of my fruit flies were gone
> overnight.

that is really cool. once they wiped out the flies, did you have to feed
them something else?

your pal,
blake

Nancy Young 23-08-2008 04:45 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

" BOB" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" wrote...
>> Eventually I found a bag of liquidized potatoes that had hidden
>> themselves in a cabinet.

> Eeewwww! Nothing's worse than liquidized potatoes. Why can't you (not
> "you", but anybody, 'you') smell them rotting before they get to that
> point?

My thought, exactly! I'm not the most meticulous housekeeper
around, but my house doesn't smell like rotting potatoes! It
probably smells a little but until you move it and disturb the
stink bomb, it's not that noticeable. I guess.

nancy

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 05:02 PM

Nancy Young wrote:

> Here's the thing about using a wine glass ... no paper cone
> obstacle course. They fly in, drink some wine and become unable to fly
> out or climb out. The inward curving sides seem to do the job.
>
> If they are coming in from outside, you have to wonder why.
> There is something making them think there's food in there,
> because why else leave the rotting tomatoes?

It's driving me nuts. This morning we've vacuumed, done the bathrooms,
cleared away the papers that accumulate, and I'm about to start a load
of laundry. That's not to say I accuse any of those things as being the
source of the fruit fly problem. It's just to say that we've cleaned
and inspected and can't find the source. I'm about to attack cupboards.
We've even moved the refrigerator out and cleaned behind it.

--Lia

Terry[_3_] 23-08-2008 05:16 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:20:42 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Help!
>

>--Lia

Hi Lia,

I wrote this for Instructables a while back:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ruit-fly-trap/

Hope this helps -- Terry

gunner 23-08-2008 07:07 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly problem.
> We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a bowl on the
> counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.

Shallow dish with soapy water, pour some wine in, little boogers get drunk
and drown, no surface tension to hold em afloat. Sticky traps in the green
house. But mine called their friends who hitched a ride on the fruit we got
from the stores who are vacationing from some foreign country and think this
is some "all-inclusive" vacation cruise. We have had these little guests
all summer long from a bunch of bananas. (where is HLS when ya need em)

Julia Altshuler 23-08-2008 07:21 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

Terry wrote:

> Hi Lia,
>
> I wrote this for Instructables a while back:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ruit-fly-trap/
>
> Hope this helps -- Terry

Thanks. It does help. That's pretty close to the way I'd done it. I'm
going to go back and make the mouth a little wider and the hole a little
smaller.

We're now back from the store with old fashioned fly paper too. (My
fingertips are just a tad sticky as I type this. Must wash with
vegetable oil.)

--Lia

KevinS 23-08-2008 07:22 PM

On Aug 23, 8:26�am, blake murphy > wrote:

> that is really cool. �once they [pitcher plant] wiped
> out the flies, did you have to feed them something
> else?

Good question. I haven't had the plant long enough to
know. I have a place that sometimes attracts sugar
ants, so I'm going to see if it works on them. The lady
said they are bog plants and can winter over pretty
well in a damp area short of a sustained hard freeze.

T[_5_] 23-08-2008 09:33 PM

Fruit fly solutions?

In article >,
says...
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:20:42 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>

> >Help!
> >

> >--Lia

> Hi Lia,
>
> I wrote this for Instructables a while back:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ruit-fly-trap/

> Hope this helps -- Terry

I found an even simpler solution. I've found certain Pinto Grigio's work
very well for the purpose so when I'm pouring I always leave just a
little bit in the bottom, probably about 60ml or so.

The little *******s love wine. They drink it, get intoxicate and then
drown in it. Can't beat that.