Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit fly solutions?

"T" > wrote

> I found an even simpler solution. I've found certain Pinto Grigio's work
> very well for the purpose so when I'm pouring I always leave just a
> little bit in the bottom, probably about 60ml or so.
>
> The little *******s love wine. They drink it, get intoxicate and then
> drown in it. Can't beat that.

That cracked me up. I found that soave or pinot grigio was
best.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "T" > wrote
>
>> I found an even simpler solution. I've found certain Pinto Grigio's
>> work very well for the purpose so when I'm pouring I always leave
>> just a little bit in the bottom, probably about 60ml or so.
>>
>> The little *******s love wine. They drink it, get intoxicate and then
>> drown in it. Can't beat that.

> That cracked me up. I found that soave or pinot grigio was
> best.
>
> nancy

So, they are fruit flies with discerning taste? Or will any cheap pinot do?
LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "T" > wrote
>>
>>> I found an even simpler solution. I've found certain Pinto Grigio's
>>> work very well for the purpose so when I'm pouring I always leave
>>> just a little bit in the bottom, probably about 60ml or so.
>>>
>>> The little *******s love wine. They drink it, get intoxicate and then
>>> drown in it. Can't beat that.

>> That cracked me up. I found that soave or pinot grigio was
>> best.

> So, they are fruit flies with discerning taste? Or will any cheap pinot
> do? LOL

Honest, when I used other wine, which wasn't often because
I didn't have other kinds around, they just didn't do the job.
They like that Italian wine. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "T" > wrote

>>> That cracked me up. I found that soave or pinot grigio was
>>> best.

>> So, they are fruit flies with discerning taste? Or will any cheap
>> pinot do? LOL

Moe than garden slugs/snails who prefer to drown in beer.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit fly solutions?- Results so far

Fruit flies like the outsides of the paper cones more than they like
spiraling down into the traps. If I had bug spray, I could kill the lot
of them with a single spritz to the outside of the paper cones.

Fruit flies prefer wine or vinegar to fruit or fruit juice.

Fruit flies can be slapped. It takes some practice to do it quickly
enough, and it frightens the dog.

The kitchen is in lockdown. Everything is in the refrigerator. We're
normally relatively clean in our habits. Now, we could win awards. It
makes entertaining difficult as we jump up to wash everything the moment
we're done with it.

I'm seeing fruit flies in my sleep.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Fruit flies prefer wine or vinegar to fruit or fruit juice.

Just realized that this negates the old saying. You catch more flies
with vinegar than with honey.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> Fruit flies prefer wine or vinegar to fruit or fruit juice.

> Just realized that this negates the old saying. You catch more flies
> with vinegar than with honey.
>

> --Lia

Actually, I think a mixture works best

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flour/woollie bugs/moths; was Fruit fly solutions?

We had those kitchen moths for a while, too. Turned out they were
coming from a bag of dog food in the cellar. It was a forgotten bag of
a brand my dogs didn't like. The "Pantry Pests" traps from my local
feed store worked well.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit fly solutions?- Pitcher plant

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:22:42 -0700 (PDT), KevinS wrote:

> On Aug 23, 8:26�am, blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> that is really cool. �once they [pitcher plant] wiped
>> out the flies, did you have to feed them something
>> else?

> Good question. I haven't had the plant long enough to
> know. I have a place that sometimes attracts sugar
> ants, so I'm going to see if it works on them. The lady
> said they are bog plants and can winter over pretty
> well in a damp area short of a sustained hard freeze.

i have a dim memory from when i was a geeky sprout that they were sometimes
fed small bits of hamburger. but i am not a horticulturist and could not
even play one on t.v. without lots of makeup.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 11:26�am, blake murphy > wrote:

> i have a dim memory from when i was a geeky sprout
> that they were sometimes fed small bits of hamburger. �
> but i am not a horticulturist and could not even play one
> on t.v. without lots of makeup.

Interesting. If I see the lady again, I'll ask her about
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

> I've found that the number one source of fruit flies is bananas.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote

>T wrote:
>
>> I've found that the number one source of fruit flies is bananas.

> Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

(laugh) T is right about the bananas, but when I've seen that
the supermarket has a problem, happened a couple of times,
they are *all over* the onions.

I have taken to rinsing bananas when I get them home. I
don't know if that accomplishes anything.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit fly solutions?- What I've learned

T wrote:

> I've found that the number one source of fruit flies is bananas.
> Everything else goes in the fridge but I keep a wine bottle freshened
> with 60ml of Pinot Grigio.
>
> As I said, the little *******s love the stuff and they do get
> intoxicated on it then drown in the wine.

The fruit flies do enter the house on bananas.
This exonerates the peaches we've been getting from the local orchard.
We keep most other produce in the refrigerator anyway.

They love white wine, but the funnel traps only work to an extent. The
flies hung out on the outsides of the paper trap. Only a few were
buzzing around inside the bottle.

Fly paper still exists, and it still works.

The real solution is to clean everything and refrigerate everything
else. Put up fly paper and wait a few days. They do go away.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:06:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote
>
>>T wrote:
>>
>>> I've found that the number one source of fruit flies is bananas.

>> Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

> (laugh) T is right about the bananas, but when I've seen that
> the supermarket has a problem, happened a couple of times,
> they are *all over* the onions.
>
> I have taken to rinsing bananas when I get them home. I
> don't know if that accomplishes anything.
>
> nancy

well, evidently it makes you feel better about the whole thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:06:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

>> (laugh) T is right about the bananas, but when I've seen that
>> the supermarket has a problem, happened a couple of times,
>> they are *all over* the onions.
>>
>> I have taken to rinsing bananas when I get them home. I
>> don't know if that accomplishes anything.

> well, evidently it makes you feel better about the whole thing.

I don't know, for years I got fruit flies in my kitchen every
August like clockwork, and all those years I never bought
bananas. Now I wonder if that rinsing doesn't make the
bananas go mushy too quickly.

See? You made me feel worse about the whole thing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> T wrote:
> >
> > I've found that the number one source of fruit flies is bananas.
> > Everything else goes in the fridge but I keep a wine bottle freshened
> > with 60ml of Pinot Grigio.
> >
> > As I said, the little *******s love the stuff and they do get
> > intoxicated on it then drown in the wine.

> The fruit flies do enter the house on bananas.
> This exonerates the peaches we've been getting from the local orchard.
> We keep most other produce in the refrigerator anyway.
>
> They love white wine, but the funnel traps only work to an extent. The
> flies hung out on the outsides of the paper trap. Only a few were
> buzzing around inside the bottle.
>
> Fly paper still exists, and it still works.
>
> The real solution is to clean everything and refrigerate everything
> else. Put up fly paper and wait a few days. They do go away.
>
> --Lia

Last night, I made some marinade for chicken stir fry (see the "Darn"
thread). That was fruit-fly magnet! I'd no sooner had the marinade
made than two fruit flies decided to take a swim and promptly drown.
And, I didn't even have the honey in there yet, but perhaps it was the
rice wine vinegar they were attracted to? Who knew <G>.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> Seems like when I get them, it is always shortly after having bought a 3lb.
> bag of onions. Lately, I have been buying loose onions, rather than bagged,
> and haven't seen a fruit fly. When they did show up, cider vinegar in a
> shallow bowl always got rid of them in a few hours; maybe they are attracted
> to acidic sugar.

Jim and I asked ourselves why wine or vinegar made a more effective trap
bait than fruit juice. We concluded (no scientific proof or anything)
that fruit flies have evolved to be more attracted to rotting fermenting
fruit than to fresh. It would be a better environment in which to raise
a family (if you're a fruit fly).

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote

> On 25-Aug-2008, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I don't know, for years I got fruit flies in my kitchen every
>> August like clockwork, and all those years I never bought
>> bananas.

> Seems like when I get them, it is always shortly after having bought a
> 3lb.
> bag of onions.

I mentioned that, too, they seem to really like onions.

> Lately, I have been buying loose onions, rather than bagged,
> and haven't seen a fruit fly. When they did show up, cider vinegar in a
> shallow bowl always got rid of them in a few hours; maybe they are
> attracted
> to acidic sugar.

I'll remember that. White Italian wine always worked best for me,
for whatever reason. Cheaper if cider vinegar works.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:19:48 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>l, not -l wrote:
>>
>> Seems like when I get them, it is always shortly after having bought a 3lb.
>> bag of onions. Lately, I have been buying loose onions, rather than bagged,
>> and haven't seen a fruit fly. When they did show up, cider vinegar in a
>> shallow bowl always got rid of them in a few hours; maybe they are attracted
>> to acidic sugar.

>Jim and I asked ourselves why wine or vinegar made a more effective trap
>bait than fruit juice. We concluded (no scientific proof or anything)
>that fruit flies have evolved to be more attracted to rotting fermenting
>fruit than to fresh. It would be a better environment in which to raise
>a family (if you're a fruit fly).

That is probably it. Right now I have some chopped tomatoes, chopped
peppers, peaches ripening and apples on the counters. Where are the
fruit flies? In the laundry room all over the dish towel I used to
strain tomatoes yesterday.

They also like wine. If a bottle sits on the counter without a
stopper, you are very apt to have some floating in your next glass. So
if there is a little left in a glass, we will often just leave it on
the counter.