Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meats: What do you want and what do you buy?

I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
$2/lb.
Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.

I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
you buy when not on sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck said...

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
> was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what
> do you buy when not on sale.

Rib eye.

Home ground.

Bloody rare!!!

Buffalo where available!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
> $2/lb.

Huh?

Why on earth would I do that, at any price? Besides depriving me of a
wonderful meal, it would be a waste of food as it's not suited to the
usual ground beef applications at all.

> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

It's not about what's on sale. It's about do they have what I want. If
they do, I buy it. If they don't, I don't settle for what they do have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck > wrote:

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
> $2/lb.

Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
for hamburgers.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

I buy brisket and grind it myself for meatloaf and burgers.

At any given time you will find the freezer loaded with:
Whole chicken
chicken thighs with bone
chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
pork loin, boneless
sausages of a few varieties

In all probability you will find:
rib eye steaks
rib eye roast
chuck for pot roast

I buy extra if on sale. I've often bought the marked down meats and found
lamb chops and veal chops at half price that way. We don't cheap out on
meat, but we can enjoy 59¢ chicken thighs as much as a $10 steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Kswck > wrote:
>
>> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>> was
>> $2/lb.

> Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
> for hamburgers.
>
> -sw

Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Kswck > wrote:
>>
>>> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>>> was
>>> $2/lb.

>> Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
>> for hamburgers.

> Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

Maybe you need to use </sarcasm> tags as it's not obvious from
context.

Work on it :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if
> it was $2/lb. Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.

That would terrible ground beef.

> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and
> what do you buy when not on sale.

I don't eat steaks anymore, usually. What I buy mostly are chuck for
soups and stews, bottom round for stir-fry, and ground beef for
spaghetti and chili.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if
> it was $2/lb.

No, not everybody. I don't use 'filet mignon' to make ground beef.

> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and
> what do you buy when not on sale.

I buy the cuts I like, whether they're on sale or not.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> It's not about what's on sale. It's about do they have what I want. If
> they do, I buy it. If they don't, I don't settle for what they do
> have.

As do I! I buy what I want, when I want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 3:22�pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
> $2/lb.

I've paid regular price for filet mignon, ground it, adn ate it raw
with just salt and pepper. Were it already ground I wouldn't eat it
if it was free.

> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.

I think normal brained folks prefer buying everything on sale.

> I guess the question is: �What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

I buy whatever I want, if on sale all the better. Mostly I look at
the sale items first but often I just have an urge for a particular
cut and I want it now so I'll pay the regular price. With many dishes
different cuts of meat can be used interchangeably anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if
> it was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and
> what do you buy when not on sale.

I tend to buy pork chops when they are on sale, and chicken.
Pork shoulder when I see it on sale.

Beef I normally buy when I need it, so it might be on sale or not.
Usually I buy a rib roast at Costco and cut it into steaks. I buy
chuck roast and flank steak there, too, so sale doesn't really enter
into it.

The reason I joined Costco was for the meat, because at the time
my local store's selection was just terrible.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" >I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon
if it was
> $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

Meats I buy only when on sale:

Ground chuck
Whole beef tenderloins
Prime rib eye steak
Pork Tenderloins
Boneless Pork loins
Baby back ribs
Chicken

Most of the above go on sale so frequently that I keep them in inventory.
An exception would be whole beef tenderloins and prime ribs eyes. Rarely on
sale locally.

Meats I buy when not on sale:

Boars head slab bacon
Italian sausage
Lamb chops
Ham steaks
Sausage (Hillshire farms, Eckridge) I don't like it but my husband does

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > Kswck > wrote:
> >
> >> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
> >> was
> >> $2/lb.

> > Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
> > for hamburgers.

> Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

Got a recipe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
> $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

I buy most of my lamb on sale as I can frequently score big on those
lovely, expensive chops that have been marked down towards the sell by
date. I think so few folks eat lamb in the south that it might sell more
discounted than they do at full price? I rarely ever need to pay full
price for chops.
Other than lamb, I usually buy whatever I want at the regular price. I
just buy more when I find it on sale!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Kswck wrote:
> >
> > Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

> Got a recipe?

Sure, here you a
<http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com/2008/03/tongue-in-cheek-braised-beef-cheeks-and.html>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

Well, I'd never make ground beef from filet mignon even if it was
$1/pound...too lean to have any good flavor!!
I don't buy a lot of red meat, just because it doesn't agree with me most of
the time. If I eat it more than once a week, I get sick. So, when I buy
meats, I usually buy chicken, pork, turkey. Chicken's pretty versatile and I
buy it whether it's on sale or not..though a sale might influence what form
I buy it in (boneless skinless, bone-in, etc). Same for pork. Turkey it
seems like I only buy it on sale, even though I love it.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
http://www.revver.com/video/1100047/patriot-pilot/#

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

I almost NEVER am forced to purchase meat that is not on sale. The exception
to that is shopping at Costco or Sams although when short coded and marked
down at Sams I will stock up. Last summer I noticed a case price on baby
back ribs at Sams. The case was 45 pounds I think and about 50 cents below
their normal price.

I make my own ground round, ground chicken and ground pork (for Pasta &
Meatloaf).

I always check the "used meat bin" at all stores that have them.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I almost NEVER am forced to purchase meat that is not on sale. The
> exception
> to that is shopping at Costco or Sams although when short coded and
> marked down at Sams I will stock up. Last summer I noticed a case price
> on baby back ribs at Sams. The case was 45 pounds I think and about 50
> cents below their normal price.
>
> I make my own ground round, ground chicken and ground pork (for Pasta &
> Meatloaf).
>
> I always check the "used meat bin" at all stores that have them.
>
> Dimitri

I shop pretty much the same way. I did say I pay full price for lamb chops,
but I buy them at Sam's Club.

I don't think I like your term "used meat bin" but I know what you mean <g>!
I do the same thing.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>was $2/lb.

Filet doesn't have enough fat in it to make good ground beef. I dislike
filet because it's too soft and mushy and has little or no real "beefy"
flavor.
Sirloin or chuck are preferable for ground beef. For a steak, porterhouse,
strip, or t-bone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it was
> $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

usually chuck when it's on sale, and then grind it up into burger.
chicken also on sale. don't buy steaks very much because the soc.
sec. check isn't that large. if i really want to have a steak dinner,
then i go to the restaurant where my son works and make him buy me
either lunch or dinner!

harriet & critter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in
:

> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if
> it was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and
> what do you buy when not on sale.

I don't buy meat when it is not on sale, except for hot dogs, which I
can get at a decent price all the time at Aldi, or for things like liver
or tongue, or heart which hardly ever go on sale, and when I want them,
are not on sale.

As for cuts, I eat whatever is on sale or was on sale and is now in my
freezer. If it was less than $2 a pound for boneless or $1.00 a pound
for bone-in, and I can afford it in my weekly budget, I'll buy it. Lots
of boneless chicken breast, ground beef, whole chickens and pork loin
(I'll take a half and cut it into a small roast, medallions/chops
whatever, and cubes for stir fries or rice and beans). In my freezer
right now, I have cut up pork loin, chicken breast, ground beef, sweet
italian sausage, corned beef, a whole chicken, "stew beef" (from the
nice folks selling grass-fed beef at the farmer's market), and bacon. I
also have a couple of country ribs defrosting in the fridge that are
going to be dinner tomorrow. Occasionally I will buy decent steaks or
lamb chops if they are on sale for a reasonable price, but those are
eaten right away. Same with fish/seafood.

I also have some chicken stock that used to be whole chickens :>

Saerah (who needs to grab a package of chicken feet the next time she
sees them in the freezer case at the local mom and pop)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Victor Sack) wrote in
:

http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com...cheek-braised-
> eef-cheeks-and.html>.
>
> Victor

beat me to it!

Saerah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in
:

>> I almost NEVER am forced to purchase meat that is not on sale. The
>> exception
>> to that is shopping at Costco or Sams although when short coded and
>> marked down at Sams I will stock up. Last summer I noticed a case
>> price on baby back ribs at Sams. The case was 45 pounds I think and
>> about 50 cents below their normal price.
>>
>> I make my own ground round, ground chicken and ground pork (for Pasta
>> & Meatloaf).
>>
>> I always check the "used meat bin" at all stores that have them.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> I shop pretty much the same way. I did say I pay full price for lamb
> chops, but I buy them at Sam's Club.
>
> I don't think I like your term "used meat bin" but I know what you
> mean <g>! I do the same thing.
>
> Chris

That term always makes me think of my grandmother... she is very, very
uh... frugal, let me put it that way

She works at a community center where they have subsidized lunches for
seniors. she brings us leftovers (not from people's plates; the food
that did not get eaten by anyone that would otherwise be thrown out). We
have taken to calling it "used food from the old people".

Saerah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if
> it was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and
> what do you buy when not on sale.

I don't eat meat anymore, but my husband goes to the "dreaded meat store" to
get his supply. It's about half the cost of a regular supermarket's price.
He mainly buys chicken leg quarters, country style pork ribs, chicken
hearts, and beef hearts. If he can find some inexpensive cut of beef
suitable to eat as a steak, he'll pick that up, too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> The reason I joined Costco was for the meat, because at the time
> my local store's selection was just terrible.
>
> nancy

We generally have terrible store selections here, too. It's difficult to
even find a whole roasting chicken! Oh, I can buy one of THEIRS that's been
rotisseried or buy something fried from the deli, but what if I want to make
my own?

It's funny; it's like if we have an idea for a meal, we're all up for it and
we may have to go to three different stores to get the ingredients to
complete it. It wastes more gas than anything!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>was $2/lb.

I wouldn't. Filet doesn't have much beefy taste, and it could be too tender
to grind very well.
If you want beefy tasting ground beef, buy chuck or brisket.

> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.

I'm not usually one of them. I might buy a different cut, but I buy when I
want it.

> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

Anything that I think I might want to eat in the next few days. If it's on
sale, that's a plus. If it's too expensive, I'll buy something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>> was $2/lb.

> Huh?
>
> Why on earth would I do that, at any price? Besides depriving me of a
> wonderful meal, it would be a waste of food as it's not suited to the
> usual ground beef applications at all.
>

>> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>>
>> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what
>> do you buy when not on sale.

> It's not about what's on sale. It's about do they have what I want. If
> they do, I buy it. If they don't, I don't settle for what they do have.

That's kinda what I said. Or at least what I tried to say, anyway.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> Kswck wrote:
>> >
>> > Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

>> Got a recipe?

> Sure, here you a
> <http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com/2008/03/tongue-in-cheek-braised-beef-cheeks-and.html>.
>
> Victor

Somehow, I knew that you would have a recipe.
'-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:40:15 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote
>>
>> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
>> you buy when not on sale.

>Anything that I think I might want to eat in the next few days. If it's on
>sale, that's a plus. If it's too expensive, I'll buy something else.

That's the way I shop too.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
> was $2/lb.
> Many folks only buy meat when it is on sale.
>
> I guess the question is: What cuts do you usually buy on sale and what do
> you buy when not on sale.

Chicken - only purchased on sale. I will go up to a buck a pound for whole
chicken. 75 cents a pound for parts.

Pork - only purchased on sale. I like just about any part of a pig, but
it's gotta be ridiculously underpriced to make it into my shopping cart.

Beef - Only purchased on sale, therefore never purchased unless someone made
a mistake when printing price stickers.

Veal and lamb - always on sale. The butcher at the store told me it doesn't
move until they mark it down. Score one for the consumer.

TFM® - Carnivorous Redneckus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Kswck > wrote:
>
>> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>> was
>> $2/lb.

> Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
> for hamburgers.
>
> -sw

I hear pork rectums make delightful Texas burgers.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Kswck > wrote:
>>
>>> I think everybody would like to make ground beef from filet mignon if it
>>> was
>>> $2/lb.

>> Ewww. It would be mushy and tasteless. It would especially such
>> for hamburgers.
>>
>> -sw

> Ever heard of tongue in cheek?

I have, but there is (or at least, there was) a particular chain
restaurant out there that touted its ultra-special hamburger made partly
with ground beef tenderloin to make it *extra wonderful.* I'll bet they
sold millions of their crapburgers to crapheads who really think that
the most exclusive and expensive cuts of beef make the best burgers. As
far as I was concerned, your comment just put you down there with them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM� wrote:

> Beef - Only purchased on sale, therefore never purchased unless someone made
> a mistake when printing price stickers.
>
> Veal and lamb - always on sale. �The butcher at the store told me it doesn't
> move until they mark it down. �

Huh... veal and lamb is always 2-3 times the price of beef round. The
least expensive cuts of veal and lamb is minimally $5/lb... beef top
round is almost always available at $1.99/lb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® > wrote:

> I hear pork rectums make delightful Texas burgers.

I still have them, too.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® > wrote:

> Chicken - only purchased on sale. I will go up to a buck a pound for whole
> chicken. 75 cents a pound for parts.

Whole chickens should cost less. I get mine for $.66-$.88/lb, but
pay $1 for parts.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> Chicken - only purchased on sale. I will go up to a buck a pound for
>> whole
>> chicken. 75 cents a pound for parts.

> Whole chickens should cost less. I get mine for $.66-$.88/lb, but
> pay $1 for parts.
>
> -sw

Depends on the parts. Wings are way overpriced at $1.39, but thighs can be
had for 59¢

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> TFM� wrote:
>>
>> Beef - Only purchased on sale, therefore never purchased unless
>> someone made a mistake when printing price stickers.
>>
>> Veal and lamb - always on sale. �The butcher at the store told me it
>> doesn't move until they mark it down. �

> Huh... veal and lamb is always 2-3 times the price of beef round. The
> least expensive cuts of veal and lamb is minimally $5/lb... beef top
> round is almost always available at $1.99/lb.

In your ever lovin' dreams, Sheldon. Beef top round (a cut that needs
tenderizing and marinating) was $4.99/lb.

Delmonico steaks, which are really nice tender marbled rib cuts were going
for $5.99/lb. Ridiculous... Delmonicos were always the least expensive and
so much better than ribeyes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
TFM� wrote:

> Beef - Only purchased on sale, therefore never purchased unless someone
> made
> a mistake when printing price stickers.
>
> Veal and lamb - always on sale. �The butcher at the store told me it
> doesn't
> move until they mark it down. �

Huh... veal and lamb is always 2-3 times the price of beef round. The
least expensive cuts of veal and lamb is minimally $5/lb... beef top
round is almost always available at $1.99/lb.

Speaking of lamb & pork our local "market" certainly not super is
advertising they purchased all the lamb & pork from the Mid-State fair 4H
projects and is selling off the butchered meat "while supplies last".

I was surprised the legs of lamb were 4.49/Lb.

Dimitri

New Seasoning For Meats Jerry[_6_] General Cooking 17 12-05-2009 05:41 PM
Pastured meats modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-01-2009 07:22 AM
Why I don't buy 'smoked' meats Gill Smith General Cooking 29 04-10-2008 11:42 AM
Canning meats Faye Preserving 2 14-02-2005 07:14 PM
Smoking Meats Woodsrunner Preserving 4 13-01-2005 03:22 AM